• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Offensive?
Not offensive in my opinion. Just staggeringly tone deaf.

But I would imagine people interested in purchasing a Peloton would be less likely to have an issue with the commercial. Just my presumption.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's the cliché and the white 3%-er privilege that makes the commercial icky to watch - as in, you are in your mid 30's and you live in that house and get a $2,000 present you really didn't need and you feel angst, really?

AG74683

Cyburbian

But I would imagine people interested in purchasing a Peloton would be less likely to have an issue with the commercial. Just my presumption.
My buddy bought a Peloton. I was shocked because he is usually fairly frugal with their money. I think it cost them nearly $3,000 and there's some sort of monthly fee with it for the classes too, maybe $50. I'm not sure he uses it too much, but his wife does. She's definitely toned up from using it too, it's a significant difference. That said' I don't think the thing is worth 3k. It's a decent bike, but I think you're paying for the name more than anything.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
My Billy Joel Channel on Sirius became the Holly (Holiday Pop) channel. The channel I thought was Holly is some Christian Holiday channel.

I know my Billy Joel was going to go away. Those channels rotate (previously Tom Petty, etc). But to change to Holly was a bit abrupt to my ears this morning.

Well, at least it's not all bad.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Do I need to stop parking my truck in the parking lot because a coworker is an environmentalist?
No, continue on. I actually enjoy it when the Big Trucks park in every other spot at work. I squeeze my Fiat between them to get a good spot. And if they got there before me, that means they usually leave before me, which means they struggle to get into their truck with less than a foot between vehicles. My only regret is not being able to see them get into their vehicles :)

/troll

I have 115 posts to go from reaching 25 K

Hink has 86 posts to go from reaching 15K

NHPlanner has 111 posts to go from reaching 10 K

Bubba has 92 posts to go from reaching 5 K
Meh. You didn't notice that I have 97 posts until 2 k. I'm offended by your lack of inclusiveness.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Peloton ad costs the company and shareholders $1.6 billion

Peloton bike ads are always going to offend people. So why did this one hit a nerve?

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think I should have stayed home today...
100% agree, which is why I'm leaving shortly. I've been sick for most of the week and only took a single sick day. That was a bad idea.

Next week I get to work 8-5 for the week, and then work two 12 hour shifts on the ambulance. That should be fun.

And I am leaving now. I think I am dying of sickness.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I only have 6 meetings today... looks like I am working tomorrow too.

It's ok though, I am enjoying the tasks that I am doing. There is just not enough time in the day to get them all finished up.

dw914er

Cyburbian

I had not watched the commercial, but had seen the various comments criticizing the ad. I just watched it now, and the negative response seems very disproportionate. "Wife" wants a fancy exercise bike, gets it as a gift, and is happy with it.... okay then. It's not a great commercial, but I'm missing why it is such a big deal.

Today has been a meh day, and it's not even lunch. Started the morning with a letter that, in a nutshell, represents everything wrong with the planning and environmental review process in California. It's not too often I get these, but annoying when it happens.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I'll be honest, the Peleton is the first product that has made indoor training even the least bit attractive to me. I ride a fair amount, but I find indoor trainers to be soul sucking. If I had some video corresponding with the ride and some interaction with a cybercoach or whatever, the might not suck as much.

That said, that price point is kind of soul sucking, too.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
My Billy Joel Channel on Sirius became the Holly (Holiday Pop) channel. The channel I thought was Holly is some Christian Holiday channel.
I was wondering who listened to the single artist channels. I've never been a fan of them. I always thought the bandwidth could be used for channels devoted to music genres that have a devoted following, but no spot on the dial: world music, progressive rock, Americana (insanely popular around here), and so on., That, ot use the bandwidth to improve the audio quality on the talk stations.

Planit

Cyburbian
Isn't the peloton ad similar to the Lexus ads with the big red bow?

A $3000 stationary bike & a $70000 car for Christmas are not on my list to Santa.

I did look at $1500 electric bike, but not on my list either.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I was wondering who listened to single artist channels. I've never been a fan of them. I always thought the bandwidth could be used for channels devoted to music genres that have a devoted following, but no spot on the dial: world music, progressive rock, Americana (insanely popular around here), and so on., That, ot use the bandwidth to improve the audio quality on the talk stations.
Most of my channels are theme channels (classical, Hair Nation, the 80's, etc). But there's one which specializes and rotates around every quarter or so. Lately, it's been Billy Joel. So I've listened to him talk about his songwriting, what inspires his writing, his early career, his favorite artists, etc. I've seen him in concert and really enjoy his music, so I was interested in hearing his story. I knew it was going to change, like the Tom Petty channel is now something else, but I just wasn't ready for it.

I'll keep it in the rotation because it is that time of year, but it better switch to something else pretty soon after Christmas!

DVD

Cyburbian
I look at the Pelaton ad like medical ads. I mock them mercilessly when I can, but I'm not offended. If I get a Pelaton you're saying I will be an anxious 30 something skinny woman who feels I need to lose weight? If I take whatever drug I'll have an elephant hanging out with me? I'm more offended by things like tampon ads. Oh, I've got one and I suddenly feel like horseback riding. Not having any experience, but I don't think that's how it works.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
i'm more offended by things like tampon ads.
Do you ever feel not so fresh down there?

Seriously, consider that Apple products (iPhones, MacBooks, etc) and Pelotons are generally "luxury goods". However, Apple marketing sends a message that thier products are premium, but accessible and for everybody. Peloton marketing sends a message that the exercise bike is premium and exclusive -- that it's expensive, and you probably can't afford it. Expensive houses and apartments with floor-to-ceiling windows and gorgeous views -- who can relate to that?

An iPhone 11 Pro ($999) costs about half the price of a Peloton ($2,245).

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I just watched it now, and the negative response seems very disproportionate. "Wife" wants a fancy exercise bike, gets it as a gift, and is happy with it.... okay then. It's not a great commercial, but I'm missing why it is such a big deal.
There's an assumption made here. You assume that she wanted (and perhaps asked for) the bike. The dissenting public puts the narrative behind it that it was a total surprise to her; i.e., the husband decided she needed to exercise. Which assumption you make colors the narrative. The dissenting public also decided that if he decided she needed the bike, it must be because he felt exercise on her part is a necessity, but it obviously isn't because she's slim, which is incongruous to the dissenting public.

In other words, the commercial tells a brief story, and everyone adds their own backstory, and some of the backstories make the people angry. But really, they're doing it to themselves with the narrative they've imposed on the story.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I was wondering who listened to the single artist channels. I've never been a fan of them. I always thought the bandwidth could be used for channels devoted to music genres that have a devoted following, but no spot on the dial: world music, progressive rock, Americana (insanely popular around here), and so on., That, ot use the bandwidth to improve the audio quality on the talk stations.
I generally agree with you on the single artist stations. Billy Joel is one I will listen to, but often not for very long. I am a huge fan of much of his music, particularly the early stuff. I think he peaked with The Stranger (or possibly 52nd Street) and I never even gave Stormfront or anything later a complete listen. It's not that I think his later stuff was bad; it just doesn't engage me and make me want more. But anyway, I listen to his station, but typically only for a son or three, and then switch off.

What I'd love to see would be a prog rock station that plays entire albums through with limited interruptions (like the end of albums sides).

dw914er

Cyburbian
There's an assumption made here. You assume that she wanted (and perhaps asked for) the bike. The dissenting public puts the narrative behind it that it was a total surprise to her; i.e., the husband decided she needed to exercise. Which assumption you make colors the narrative. The dissenting public also decided that if he decided she needed the bike, it must be because he felt exercise on her part is a necessity, but it obviously isn't because she's slim, which is incongruous to the dissenting public.

In other words, the commercial tells a brief story, and everyone adds their own backstory, and some of the backstories make the people angry. But really, they're doing it to themselves with the narrative they've imposed on the story.
I took the excitement of the wife getting the bike as the context to convey it was a positive gift. My wife would not have that response if I gave her fitness-related items out the blue, but would be excited if she had dropped hints that that was what she wanted beforehand. It is certainly me adding my narrative to it, but I don't think I would have noticed the issue had it not been for the articles about the ad... then again, I rarely pay attention to commercials.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Isn't the peloton ad similar to the Lexus ads with the big red bow?

A $3000 stationary bike & a $70000 car for Christmas are not on my list to Santa.

I did look at $1500 electric bike, but not on my list either.
The wife and I watched the add. The wife was offended when I called it a over hyped bike.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I rarely pay attention to commercials.
I actually never watched the commercial until I saw the link in this thread. I had seen it, but like you I paid very little attention to it. I think we (and apparently lots of people) are talking about it more than is warranted to be honest.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The spirit of curling!

'the_spirit_of_curiing.jpg

It's been about 10 years since I last curled on dedicated ice. It's fast, and I had a hard time adjusting my muscle memory. I sailed a lot of rocks through the house in the first four or five ends. Anyhow, our rink was clobbered in the first draw, and we won the second draw.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Getting ready to head off to CPR/First Aid class at the hospital. My staff tells me the first half is good, the second half hellish.

We'll see.

Planit

Cyburbian
If that Elf on the Shelf had happened 5 years earlier, I'm sure we would have had it. Thankfully we bypassed that chapter.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Every summer I get a few hornets buzzing around the floodlights in the carport. I knew there was a nest somewhere, but could never find it.

I found it on Saturday. It's in an old bird feeder that I've never used. It was there when I moved in and is on the other side of my fence. Now I need to figure out how to get rid of it.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
We were aware that Elf on the shelf was a thing when my kids were younger, but we chose to ignore that trend. The idea of having a creepy elf spy in the house didn't appeal to us.

On a side note, I put up my outdoor Christmas decorations this weekend.

IMG_4253.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
As wrong as this may be, I find a joy in seeing that the Patriots lost today.
Stop. You had me at "Patriots lost."

I'm trying to devise a sentence that includes both the words "smug" and "come-uppance"....

Last edited:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Finally watched the Peloton Ad, and I don’t see why people are getting worked up.
Watched it with Hubby. We both think the gift of the bike is fine (no backstory provided). The creepy part to us is the video/diary of usage and watching it a year later. That part is just wrong!

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm just going to start adding my own backstory to the Peloton ad. The husband is a serial killer and the woman has Stockholm syndrome and she knows her husband only kills the fatty people. She knows about the room full of body parts down in the basement. She truly is grateful because this will keep her thin and not just another body part in a jar that disgusts her man.

Merry Christmas!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm just going to start adding my own backstory to the Peloton ad. The husband is a serial killer and the woman has Stockholm syndrome and she knows her husband only kills the fatty people. She knows about the room full of body parts down in the basement. She truly is grateful because this will keep her thin and not just another body part in a jar that disgusts her man.

Merry Christmas!
This is wrong on so many levels.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The creepy part to us is the video/diary of usage and watching it a year later. That part is just wrong!
...and yet how many people document every moment of their lives on Facebook? I think they're highlighting (albeit awkwardly) the social media capabilities of the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.