• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

AG74683

Cyburbian
The Chief inspector hit a button on the security alarm panel that we THOUGHT didn't work. Turns out it does and it has a panic alarm which happened to be the button he pressed. A town cop just strolled in without a care in the world.

Guy says "it's too much to email", well then it's DEFINITELY too much to call me about.

Last edited:

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I found "somewhere" and it already had an address. It's amazing the amount of work that was required so that I could determine that I didn't have to do any work.

kms

Cyburbian
I found "somewhere" and it already had an address. It's amazing the amount of work that was required so that I could determine that I didn't have to do any work.
I can’t imagine how much work it’s going to take to document the time you spent working on something that didn’t require work.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I keep a relatively neat house but trying to find a decent backdrop somewhere for a Zoom interview I have tomorrow is tough - I can't have it downstairs as my MIL is there, and that's weird and having some conspiracy or tru detective show blaring in the background is also weird so I am finding a space in one of the upstairs bedrooms - I think I got it

Planit

Cyburbian
I keep a relatively neat house but trying to find a decent backdrop somewhere for a Zoom interview I have tomorrow is tough - I can't have it downstairs as my MIL is there, and that's weird and having some conspiracy or tru detective show blaring in the background is also weird so I am finding a space in one of the upstairs bedrooms - I think I got it

Set up a chair and table in front of the big screen and put a picture of some ideal place, prominent office view, a charming small town conference room, or a warm weather scene like the tropics~!

DVD

Cyburbian
dvdneal I've gotten at least half a dozen compliments on the cute cactus candles!
That's awesome. Now the question is will you burn them or leave them as decoration. I go with it's a candle and meant to be melted.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I just discovered that there's a Giodano's pizza in Detroit (apparently it's been there a couple years now). I don't care for Chicago-style pizza but I figure maybe once every 6 or 7 years isn't bad. I'm going to have to head down there to check it out.
I haven't had a Giodanos pizza in years and years. Man, I do miss those pizzas.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Three more job ads based in Detroit, two from my old department (they won't remember me, 6 months - 16 years ago) and a nice-looking darkside one. :mi:

I didn't bother sharing the 313-based operations manager for yet another scooter company. :p

ETA: getting hired back then (during the Kwame Kilpatrick days) took a year. Seriously. I am hopeful that the subsequent administrations have helped expedite the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
And you are the one who misspelled to begin with. I didn't the spelling looked right to begin with. I was just following the lead of one of the mods.
Just to be clear, WSU and I are not the same person and I should have definitely 'scolded' WSU as well, I suppose.

Also, :)

AG74683

Cyburbian
I was looking at what it takes to become AICP certified. Turns out my undergrad program isn't accredited with the PAB, something they do not advertise which is neat. Regardless I still meet the 4 year requirement for non-accredited programs.

So I keep reading into the requirements. Man, this just seems like a giant money racket. Have to be a member of the APA, application and exam fees, then you have to buy study guides, then you have to maintain the certificate. What a bunch of BS. I've worked with a ton of AICP planners and I know for a fact that certification doesn't mean shit. At least two of them caused more problems than they fixed, and one of those has no idea what the term "ethics" even means. It might be an unpopular opinion, but what does knowing things about Fredrick Law Olmstead have to do with processing a variance application?

I want to do the NC CZO certification, but I think it's completely asinine that I have to take 31.5 hours of class to sit for it. I have a degree in it and I've been working in the field for nearly 7 years, shouldn't that be enough? I don't have time to sit in class learning stuff I already know. Plus I have to sit for a "pre-requisite" course unless I can convince them I don't need it. Yet another money racket.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Yeah, AICP is a bit of 'thing', but I needed it for one of my past Director positions and my employer paid for it then. My current employer pays for dues and CM conferences now, so....it persists.

Last edited:

Veloise

Cyburbian
I was looking at what it takes to become AICP certified. ... Man, this just seems like a giant money racket. Have to be a member of the APA, application and exam fees, then you have to buy study guides, then you have to maintain the certificate. What a bunch of BS. I've worked with a ton of AICP planners and I know for a fact that certification doesn't mean shit. [1] At least two of them caused more problems than they fixed, and one of those has no idea what the term "ethics" even means. ...
Seems like we used to have a thread devoted to this viewpoint and supporting data. I just did a cursory search with no results.

[1] Scum floats; typical of many higher education programs. I've known over-educated people who couldn't figure out the basics of life (how to not lose their keys several times a week, when to put gas in the car) along with understanding simple concepts like how a month-long layoff affects a household budget.

Planit

Cyburbian
AG - get your employer to pay for it. In some places, it’s a requirement for certain positions. Otherwise don’t worry about it.

Hink

OH....IO
Yea unless you get something for the AICP, I am still not sure why it is valuable. They are really bad at making a value proposition for it. I mean they really need to discount conferences to make it worth it. I'm not sure what they think it provides other than some letters that go after your name.

With that said, I say you get it. I'm sure it could help some day. If your employer doesn't pay for your dues though, I would pass hard.

AG74683

Cyburbian
AG - get your employer to pay for it. In some places, it’s a requirement for certain positions. Otherwise don’t worry about it.
Oh I'm sure the would, CZO too, but I don't see the point. I think it's a waste of tax payer dollars, no matter how small.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Yeah, AICP is a bit of 'thing', but I needed it for one of my past Director positions and my employer paid for it then. My current employer pays for dues and CM conferences now, so....it's persists.
Having the four little letters after my name has helped in the past. Plus, when I studied the nearly 20 years, it did force me to relearn things and broadened my learning in Planning. I also went to a non credited school and technically don't have a degree in planning. I've also got 30+ years in the field.

My current employer pays for my conferences and my dues. I don't think it's going away and APA seems to have stopped tinkering with it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
....but I don't see the point. I think it's a waste of tax payer dollars, no matter how small.
Sometimes that is not something you need to worry about.

Your job could be cut next budget cycle under the guise of 'I don't see the point. I think it's a waste of tax payer dollars." Ask dvdneal about working for a rural county.

Public servants get very little 'benefits' for the amount of crap we deal with, so some professional development paid for with tax dollars is the least they/we can do.

My Dept even pays for our appointed regulatory boards/commission members to attend a regional Chapter workshop every year, because they need professional development, too

AG74683

Cyburbian

Your job could be cut next budget cycle under the guise of 'I don't see the point. I think it's a waste of tax payer dollars." Ask dvdneal about working for a rural county.

Public servants get very little 'benefits' for the amount of crap we deal with, so some professional development paid for with tax dollars is the least they/we can do.

My Dept even pays for our appointed regulatory boards/commission members to attend a regional Chapter workshop every year, because they need professional development, too
Well that is true. Maybe I'll look at it a little more. There's plenty of time before I can even submit the application. I still disagree with the CZO certification though. Taking a test is one thing, but having to sit through class is another. If I have to do that, what's the point of the degree to begin with. It's basic stuff too, like nothing in depth.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Oh I'm sure the would, CZO too, but I don't see the point. I think it's a waste of tax payer dollars, no matter how small.

Your job could be cut next budget cycle under the guise of 'I don't see the point. I think it's a waste of tax payer dollars." Ask dvdneal about working for a rural county
While I don't see all that much value in AICP certification, I agree with @mendelman's sentiment about not being concerned about using tax payer dollars to get it if your employer is willing to pay for it. It might not carry all that much weight among peers or in professional circles but it can help you to have a bit more authority and come of as more experienced/qualified when meeting with residents or dealing with electeds.

Not to mention that our governments, at all levels, should be looking to have the most qualified people working for them in whatever position and that should include encouraging and supporting current employees who want to achieve relevant professional certifications and pursue continuing education.

TOFB

Cyburbian
My employer pays 100% of my APA and AICP, and about $3500/year for travel.

I like that.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
What type of discussion are you looking to do?
Effective public outreach for climate change-related plans (mostly talking about sea level rise but applicable to other threats as well). It's hard to sustain interest when we are talking about something that might happen by the end of this century. And hard to distill down all the data into key takeaways without sounding like an alarmist. :eek:

On the AICP discussion, I'm seriously considering dropping mine. My current employer doesn't pay for dues and they are expensive. They will pay for conferences if they are directly applicable to projects I'm working on and if they are somewhat local (no national conference in NYC for example). But my dues are always due at Christmastime, the worst timing!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Sometimes at lunch I want to just go to Starbucks and sit in an armchair and read. Unfortunately, neither Starbucks by my office have armchairs... just uncomfortable wooden chairs. The one by my house has a couch and four old, overstuffed leather chairs right in front of a nice warm fireplace.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
While I don't see all that much value in AICP certification, I agree with @mendelman's sentiment about not being concerned about using tax payer dollars to get it if your employer is willing to pay for it. It might not carry all that much weight among peers or in professional circles but it can help you to have a bit more authority and come of as more experienced/qualified when meeting with residents or dealing with electeds.

Not to mention that our governments, at all levels, should be looking to have the most qualified people working for them in whatever position and that should include encouraging and supporting current employees who want to achieve relevant professional certifications and pursue continuing education.
I agree with WSU on this. It allows your employer to show they hired the best with creds. Plus it helps when dealing with the public.

DVD

Cyburbian
Yep, use that tax payer money to improve yourself which improves the quality of service and knowledge the taxpayer receives. My current city pays $1,000 a year for professional development and dues. So basically I can pull off the dues and state conferences.

We got a contract on the home in Kansas. We got them to pay 152 when they only wanted to pay 150. Magically the appraisal came in at 150. I will be so glad to be out of that place.:mad:

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
On the AICP discussion, I'm seriously considering dropping mine. My current employer doesn't pay for dues and they are expensive. They will pay for conferences if they are directly applicable to projects I'm working on and if they are somewhat local (no national conference in NYC for example). But my dues are always due at Christmastime, the worst timing!
When i started at my current jurisdiction, i made damn sure they would pay dues and send me to a state conference every other year. I got asked if I wanted to go to SFAPA. I passed and elected to do state conference in SB. Although I have tried to help to conference planning this year, my name seemed to have dropped off. Whatever.

I wanted to submit a session for CAPAPA entitled "Creating Green Surplus from the Sticky Icky" a how to on implementing commercial cannabis for smaller jurisdictions.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
My coat is warm, but it is making me lethargic.
We get it. You're wearing your coat inside today.

Yeesh.

Also, I have the following coins on my desk:

1939 Irish Florin
1927 Italy 5 Lire
1871 France 2 Franc
1913 Germany 3 Mark
1919 France 2 Franc
1940 Switzerland 2 Frank
1943 Netherlands 1 Guilder

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
I'm just glad to hear you guys affirming my decision to by-pass AICP since my employer will not cover any fees for it whatever. To me, that's a disincentive and reason enough to say, no thanks.

DVD

Cyburbian
My coat is warm, but it is making me lethargic.
Yep, I get it. I also understand I just walked around outside for like an hour without a coat. :p

I'm just glad to hear you guys affirming my decision to by-pass AICP since my employer will not cover any fees for it whatever. To me, that's a disincentive and reason enough to say, no thanks.
The way I look at AICP is can it:
1. Get me more money - sometimes yes on the dark side.
2. Get me a job/promotion - sometimes yes.

I have it mainly as a resume bullet to get that next job. As long as my employers have paid for the test, dues, and conferences I'll keep doing it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Wasn't the Netherlands under German occupation then?
Yes. But these were minted in the US at our mints for use in Dutch East Indies (aka Indonesia) likely under the authority of the exiled Dutch crown, which was spread between England and Canada at the time. Specifically, the one on my desk was minted at the Denver mint.

You see alot of them in the US now because of all the US servicemen stationed in the western Pacific during WWII. You see the same with 1940s Australian coinage as well.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Yes. But these were minted in the US at our mints for use in Dutch East Indies (aka Indonesia) likely under the authority of the exiled Dutch crown, which was spread between England and Canada at the time. Specifically, the one on my desk was minted at the Denver mint.

You see alot of them in the US now because of all the US servicemen stationed in the western Pacific during WWII. You see the same with 1940s Australian coinage as well.
Basically people are inheriting them, which is putting more into the market. What's the gong rate for them?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Basically people are inheriting them, which is putting more into the market. What's the gong rate for them?
They're fairly common and typically in better condition being pulled from circulation likely as souvenirs typically soon after entering commerce.

They are composed of 72% silver and generally can be bought for about $4-5 dollars, but can be bought for much less as many coin dealers don't 'cotton' to 'foreign junk' coins and therefore regularly sell them for, literally, almost nothing.

I decided I think I'll do the whole AICP thing and maybe CZO stuff this year. They'll pay for it, so why not.
Right on. Get it then....you know. ;)

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Well, m daughter created this nice scene behind me of warm lights, a mineral light shining on my face off camera and a map of the usa - it did look good and I think the interview went well too - tough to say for sure

DVD

Cyburbian
Dealing with WTF zoning histories in this place. There was a time when they liked approving a property for say C-1 or C-2. Then when the site plan came in they would pick which zone they wanted and another ordinance would go to council to finalize it as C-1 or whatever they wanted. Just WTF. Of course the one I have is asking for pedestrian master plans, traffic studies, and more. Of course no one knows where these things are and there are several projects built under the zoning case. Just more WTF.

Best phone message ever! In the background you hear something hit the ground and a muffled "Oh f@ck!" and the message ends.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
When i started at my current jurisdiction, i made damn sure they would pay dues and send me to a state conference every other year. I got asked if I wanted to go to SFAPA. I passed and elected to do state conference in SB. Although I have tried to help to conference planning this year, my name seemed to have dropped off. Whatever.

I wanted to submit a session for CAPAPA entitled "Creating Green Surplus from the Sticky Icky" a how to on implementing commercial cannabis for smaller jurisdictions.
Help me wrangle college students into volunteering! I volunteered to be the volunteer herder.

That would have been a useful session.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm still wearing my coat.
I'm wearing a sweater I bought in Iceland. Indoors, and underneath my jacket.

I really need to get a warm parka. I have a fleece jacket, heavier ski jacket, something inbetween with a hood, and a couple of Carhartt Detroit jackets. I used to have a parka when I was younger, but it's not like I spend hours outdoors playing in the cold.

I'm thinking about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYNPOYI/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BMQ3BJW

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAENA3E