Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
dvd & Raf - noice.

We had a $103,000 building permit fee in 2018. That's a record, but the same company did a similar sized project in central coastal CA and apparently the permit fee was something like a cool $1,000,000....sweet.
What project was this may I ask? Our building fees are really really low. It is quite sad actually when a mj facility making quite a bit of cheese per month gets away with a building permit that is sub 3K after a significant renovation.

Hink

OH....IO
What project was this may I ask? Our building fees are really really low. It is quite sad actually when a mj facility making quite a bit of cheese per month gets away with a building permit that is sub 3K after a significant renovation.
Our cap is $10,000. We had a couple $20million projects that only paid $10k. I thought we were charging a lot.... maybe not.

dvd & Raf - noice.

We had a $103,000 building permit fee in 2018. That's a record, but the same company did a similar sized project in central coastal CA and apparently the permit fee was something like a cool $1,000,000....sweet.
We have a project under construction right now that the total development fees from the City were over $1,000,000. The building permit part of that was almost $120,000. It is a high end apartment complex so it will also have good tax revenue.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Our cap is $10,000. We had a couple $20million projects that only paid $10k. I thought we were charging a lot.... maybe not.
Well, we have in house Building and Engineering Depts.

The Planning Commission review fees were only $2,400. They certainly didn't even bat an eye at this cost. It's a $60,000,000 project. Our fees are effectively rounding errors on their proforma.

Now you all have me wondering what the commercial and industrial building permit fees are in various cities here in Metro Detroit. I have a feeling they are pretty low though.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Didn't Chicago used to (maybe they still do) require bars to stop serving alcohol at 4 a.m. and wouldn't allow them to start serving alcohol until 'opening' again at 5 a.m.? A friend who went to school there said everyone in the bar would order several pitchers at 3:59 a.m. and continue to sit there drink for the next hour. Later, the same waitress - who never left - that took the order for all the pitchers at 3:59 a.m. would promptly take orders for the next round at 5:00 a.m.

What is the point in requiring alcohol only be served 23 hours a day?

DVD

Cyburbian
Now you all have me wondering what the commercial and industrial building permit fees are in various cities here in Metro Detroit. I have a feeling they are pretty low though.
Building permit fees should be pretty standard around the country since they're based on valuation of the project. It's the assorted zoning fees that are all over the place. We're charging about $1,500 for a minor site plan and around $8,000 for a major. The new home standard plan design review thing I did killed me because we charge a per lot price. So same amount of work more or less, but bigger subdivisions just take the bulk of the cost. Don't even get me started on the actual zoning fees.

Just discovered a typo in our code. Multi-family zones don't allow for multi-family except in the lowest category.

Also discovered the amazing pterodactyl song. NSFW. Just go on the youtube and search for it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Power is out throughout the County. Guess it's time to close for the weekend.

Our building permit fees are generally based at 30 cents a square foot. My zoning fees are dirt cheap. 25 dollars for residential, 75 for all others!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
If I'd had three girls instead of boys, I think I would have gone with the names Veronica, Gwendolyn and Penelope.

And they would start an awesome band in their late teens that would blow your mind.

That is all.

DVD

Cyburbian
If I'd had three girls instead of boys, I think I would have gone with the names Veronica, Gwendolyn and Penelope.

And they would start an awesome band in their late teens that would blow your mind.

That is all.
Have you told your boys this. Just to get their reactions.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Have you told your boys this. Just to get their reactions.
Well, my ten yr old just unilaterally decided to start taking violin lessons. So...1/3 down and now I need to get the other two on board.

Maybe an old timey jug band? Fiddle, washboard and moonshine jug?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Here in my office we thought it was funny that on the Jimmy John's handout menu under their locations listing they misspelled a street name.
Wonder how many hundreds were printed with that misspelling.