• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I have been wearing a fleece pullover under a Columbia 3 in 1 Jacket - fleece with wind/rain shell.

Gedunker

Moderating
Timing is everything, they say. I watched a young gal pass me on the sidewalk on the way to our cars yesterday after work and noticed she was wearing a Canada Goose winter jacket. Interestingly, I had just read I bought a counterfeit canada goose jacket on The Atlantic last week. I had two thoughts: I wonder if this chickee's jacket was real, and who the hell would pay $1,000 for a winter coat in the Mid-Ohio Valley?? I mean, Marquette? Sure! Knock yourself out. But, Louisville?

More money than brains, if you ask me.:nerd:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I watched a young gal pass me on the sidewalk on the way to our cars yesterday after work and noticed she was wearing a Canada Goose winter jacket. Interestingly,
Canada Goose jackets are everywhere around here. They started to pop up about five years ago among international students, spread to the basic/sorority crowd, and now it's an upper middle class thing. The hippie/crunchy community avoids them like the plague -- they tend to layer up, topping off with an old barn coat or Carhartt Duck Detroit jacket.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Canada Goose jackets are everywhere around here. They started to pop up about five years ago among international students, spread to the basic/sorority crowd, and now it's an upper middle class thing. The hippie/crunchy community avoids them like the plague -- they tend to layer up, topping off with an old barn coat or Carhartt Duck Detroit jacket.
I just wear my wool dress covercoat. It's uber warm and long.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I really need to get a warm parka. I have a fleece jacket, heavier ski jacket, something inbetween with a hood, and a couple of Carhartt Detroit jackets. I used to have a parka when I was younger, but it's not like I spend hours outdoors playing in the cold.

I'm thinking about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYNPOYI/
That's the one I vote for (mine is the olive drab color). There are a ton of companies that make that exact style so you can look around a bit and there's a wide variety of prices. Mine was manufactured by Spiewak and I bought it at a surplus store near the base close to 20 years ago and it's held up very well. I wore it out on a walk this morning (along with heavy moleskin trousers and long underwear, insulated boots, etc) to go get my cold brew at Starbucks (only to discover they were closed) and I was nice and toasty warm even with a temperature of -18º and windchill of -38º. On a day like today I could comfortably spend a couple hours outside at the sledding hill with my daughter if I have that jacket on. One of my favorite features is the hood - it's fully lined with heavy, soft fleece and is big enough that when you zip it up it blocks the wind completely. So many jackets are nice and warm but have cheap feeling hoods with no soft lining and when you put that up it sort of rubs uncomfortably on your ears and hurts in the really cold weather.

Here's me in my snorkel parka yesterday. After a couple of decades, I could probably use a bigger size for mine but it still fit me with a heavy flannel double breasted jacket under it.

Reactions: Dan

AG74683

Cyburbian
If they are picking up the tab, go for it.
Well I found a budget line item I've never really used called "fees, dues, subscriptions" which is what I assume that's for. It has like $3,500 in it.

Dealing with WTF zoning histories in this place.
I have a TON of those. A lot of times they'd rezone property "to industrial for a lumber business, but if the business ever closes it reverts to R-1". Uh, no. It doesn't work like that, it's NEVER worked like that. Luckily I know the two PD's who were here before me and they generally remember the shenanigans so I can ask them what happened. One of the prior clerks liked to take insanely detailed minutes. "Commissioner Steve sneezed three times and then made the motion".

AG74683

Cyburbian
People just don't like to take professional advice I guess. I've told this guy repeatedly that his rezoning request has almost zero chance of approval because it is very clearly spot zoning. We have absolutely no way to justify rezoning it. Land use plan doesn't support it, the uses around the property don't support it, frankly it's in the middle of nowhere. Yes it's an existing business, but that has no bearing on the case. He's going to end up wasting a bunch of money just to be denied, and all because he won't listen. I even told him to go to an attorney since he wouldn't listen to me, and the attorney told him the same thing. The surveyor told him the same thing. There's only so much I can do.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Saw this yesterday, and thought of our friend El Guapo.

IMG_0329.JPG

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Help me wrangle college students into volunteering! I volunteered to be the volunteer herder.

That would have been a useful session.
Believe it or not that was my position on the last SB planning conference. I still have all the excel worksheets and "call for volunteers". PM if you want them.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I could not get warm last night. No amount of blankets seemed to help.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Believe it or not that was my position on the last SB planning conference. I still have all the excel worksheets and "call for volunteers". PM if you want them.
Sweet! I will, thanks!

I'm having a "mentor" lunch with the interim PD today, who is retiring in March. I spilled coffee on myself in the car and my hands smell like onions because I chopped up stuff for crock pot beef stew before work, even though I've washed them like five times since then and tried clean the coffee off my pants. Hopefully it all goes away by lunch, or she likes coffee and onions. :cry:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Phone message goes "This is XYZ and I am a real estate...". It immediately goes to the permitting tech. I don't need to deal with real estate agents because their stuff is so trivial.

arcplans

I feel like i was a bad son. I really F*ed up my mom's taxes. I miss-read the "widowed" filling. She doesn't qualify. So then because of the mis-read I didn't re-calculate her SSA and pension witholdings. Therefore, she owes about 3K in taxes this year. Fixed her tax witholdings last week to accommodate the change in filing status to single and added additional witholdings. It's not like she doesn't have the cash to fork over, but still, I feel bad.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I feel like i was a bad son. I really F*ed up my mom's taxes. I miss-read the "widowed" filling. She doesn't qualify. So then because of the mis-read I didn't re-calculate her SSA and pension witholdings. Therefore, she owes about 3K in taxes this year. Fixed her tax witholdings last week to accommodate the change in filing status to single and added additional witholdings. It's not like she doesn't have the cash to fork over, but still, I feel bad.
Sounds like your mom should sue her tax preparer! :p

AG74683

Cyburbian
Ugh, someone brought up the ex girlfriend earlier and now I'm in a bad mood. Dating people at work is a terrible no good idea.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I used do my mom's taxes after the divorce. There wasn't much to them, but I did them for her anyway.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I made the BEST pot of bean and ham soup ever made by anyone during the course of recorded history yesterday while sidelined by the weather. It was better than the best bean soup Trump could make. It was just that good.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Ugh, someone brought up the ex girlfriend earlier and now I'm in a bad mood. Dating people at work is a terrible no good idea.
Like kjel said-never fish off the end of the company pier. I been tempted several times, but never followed through with it and kept it as the friend level.

arcplans

Bro.. never date people from work. I tried that once when I worked at Macy's. I strait up was dating three girls from 3 different departments. It was bad when one of them found out about the others.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I made the BEST pot of bean and ham soup ever made by anyone during the course of recorded history yesterday while sidelined by the weather. It was better than the best bean soup Trump could make. It was just that good.
Recipe or it didn't happen.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Bro.. never date people from work. I tried that once when I worked at Macy's. I strait up was dating three girls from 3 different departments. It was bad when one of them found out about the others.
That seems like it would be an issue, regardless of work status...

DVD

Cyburbian
How dare someone leave a message while I was working at the counter!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Recipe or it didn't happen.
package of Hurst's Hambeen 15 bean soup
ham bone
1 lb. ham cut up
juice from one lemon
2 med. onions
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp chili powder
can of diced tomatoes
water
(don't use the flavor packet provided with the 15 bean soup package)

soak beans overnight. put ingredients into slow cooker and set to high for 8-10 hours
1549030465217.png

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Like kjel said-never fish off the end of the company pier. I been tempted several times, but never followed through with it and kept it as the friend level.
It's incredibly difficult to find people here otherwise. The county only has around 28,000 people and young people aren't all that common, and single young people are even more difficult to find.

I mean that just sounds like a terrible idea in general though.

I'm reading about this NC CZO certification. The final exam is 30 questions and is completely open book....that basically sounds like the building inspector classes and I ace those.

Also, last night I determined that I'll be finally cleaning out my huge second bedroom and making it a hobby room / home gym. It's a massive room but is worthless as a master bedroom because there's no en suite. It's probably something like 15' x 20', maybe bigger than that.

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
It's incredibly difficult to find people here otherwise. The county only has around 28,000 people and young people aren't all that common, and single young people are even more difficult to find.
I can empathize with that. The problem is what you are experiencing. You are stuck having to be around them after you break up. Plus, both the beginning part and the end part of the relationship adds a certain tension in the workplace that isn't a good idea. It's the same problem with church dating, except it's easier to change churches than it is jobs.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
A friend sent a bit of good news from the government shutdown... apparently a colony of elephant seals broke through a fence (normally staffed by federal employees) and created a new home (complete with maternity ward) in a beach, parking lot, and picnic area at Point Reyes National Seashore.

Google Map

CNN

That counterbalances all the bad news about the damage at Joshua Tree National Park. :(

AG74683

Cyburbian
I can empathize with that. The problem is what you are experiencing. You are stuck having to be around them after you break up. Plus, both the beginning part and the end part of the relationship adds a certain tension in the workplace that isn't a good idea. It's the same problem with church dating, except it's easier to change churches than it is jobs.
Well she's in the Health Department, which is in an entirely different building that I almost never go to. I thought that distance would be enough, but I guess not.

EDIT*
So on the topic of AICP not at all conveying the knowledge a planner has, I was asked this question a few minutes ago by an AICP certified planner. "Well the model ordinance doesn't say that, would you honor the language in the model ordinance?". Dude really? Is it codified like that in our actually adopted language? No it's not, so no we won't.

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Well she's in the Health Department, which is in an entirely different building that I almost never go to. I thought that distance would be enough, but I guess not.
You may also be dealing with a small town, where everyone knows everyone and everything. Hang in there.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I brought the BeanBoozled jellybeans to work. Everyone ends up with the regular flavors but me. I always get the nasty ones. I just had dead fish. It tastes exactly like how rotten fish smells.

DVD

Cyburbian
Yea well.. I was 20.. soo yanno.. it was my oyster
At 20 it's fine. I dated a girl in a sorority (big mistake on so many levels). I went to pick her up for a date and she was sick. Her friend said she would go with me. I figured no big deal, it was just a movie. Long story short, there are factions within sorority houses - who knew? and I'm no longer allowed because of the fight that broke out.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
EDIT*
So on the topic of AICP not at all conveying the knowledge a planner has, I was asked this question a few minutes ago by an AICP certified planner. "Well the model ordinance doesn't say that, would you honor the language in the model ordinance?". Dude really? Is it codified like that in our actually adopted language? No it's not, so no we won't.
Well....there are alot of licensed engineers and lawyers that are knuckleheads too....so you just witnessed the other end of the bell curve, which happens in every profession.

Planit

Cyburbian
At 20 it's fine. I dated a girl in a sorority (big mistake on so many levels). I went to pick her up for a date and she was sick. Her friend said she would go with me. I figured no big deal, it was just a movie. Long story short, there are factions within sorority houses - who knew? and I'm no longer allowed because of the fight that broke out.

No truer words have ever been written.

Never ever date 2 girls from the same sorority unless there is several months in between. Even that you must tread lightly.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I had the same situation. I dated another city employee who worked in a different building. We were both new, we worked together on some projects, and our personalities clicked. We broke up after about a year, bur we're still good friends, even 20-plus years later. I've met her husband and kids, she's met my wife, and we're all Facebook friends with each other.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I had the same situation. I dated another city employee who worked in a different building. We were both new, we worked together on some projects, and our personalities clicked. We broke up after about a year, bur we're still good friends, even 20-plus years later. I've met her husband and kids, she's met my wife, and we're all Facebook friends with each other.
Yeah that definitely didn't happen here. One day everything was great, the next she wasn't sure, and within a week it was over and I've never heard from her again. Literally NO idea what happened.

I paid membership dues for APA, NC APA, and NC AZO. Hopefully they'll let me skip the prerequisite course for that CZO certification, but I don't think it'll happen.

DVD

Cyburbian
Since I know the throbbing whatsit here will enjoy this.

Got the house sold in Kansas so now it's time to do some house hunting here in the Phoenix metro. So who's up for helping?

Reactions: Dan

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Since I know the throbbing whatsit here will enjoy this.

Got the house sold in Kansas so now it's time to do some house hunting here in the Phoenix metro. So who's up for helping?
Congrats! That must be a big relief!