• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I have played it occasionally. I suck at it; however, I did place 2nd once completely by dumb luck. I envision that on the rare occasion that I do get a kill that the player is some 11 year old kid living in the Midwest and as result he is crying to his mother that I cheated.
Or the folks you kill are a bunch of 40+ dads who are trying (yet failing) to be cool with their nephews.

AG74683

Cyburbian
After watching my nephews play Fortnite on Christmas my daughter and I decided to download that when we got home (it's free!). We both just kept getting our asses handed to us though so we gave up. I'm half tempted to ask the 14-year-old next door to give me some secret Fortnite tutoring lessons just so I can randomly turn it back on one day and pretend I suddenly got good.
I have played it occasionally. I suck at it; however, I did place 2nd once completely by dumb luck. I envision that on the rare occasion that I do get a kill that the player is some 11 year old kid living in the Midwest and as result he is crying to his mother that I cheated.
I've had Fortnite since the day it released for PS4. I didn't really like it much, and my buddies and I only played for a while. We did place 1st in one of the team modes though (2 people teams). That was an awesome experience. I think the controls are just too clunky to work for anything besides PC. It's too difficult to build while being shot at.

Lately I've been playing Battlefront 2. It got terrible reviews early on because of some shady pay to play stuff EA tried to introduce, but they axed that before the game even dropped. A year later, it's a fantastic game and a load of fun. If you've ever wanted to be a Stormtrooper defending the Death Star, or a Rebel soldier fighting across Endor, the game is for you. Last night I managed to eliminate Luke Skywalker by myself. You can play as various heroes/villains if you get enough points to unlock them. There's also a sweet star-fighter mode where you can fly X-Wings, TIE Fighters, or any of those. It was like 7 bucks on the Playstation Store the other night.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I've had Fortnite since the day it released for PS4. I didn't really like it much, and my buddies and I only played for a while. We did place 1st in one of the team modes though (2 people teams). That was an awesome experience. I think the controls are just too clunky to work for anything besides PC. It's too difficult to build while being shot at.

Lately I've been playing Battlefront 2. It got terrible reviews early on because of some shady pay to play stuff EA tried to introduce, but they axed that before the game even dropped. A year later, it's a fantastic game and a load of fun. If you've ever wanted to be a Stormtrooper defending the Death Star, or a Rebel soldier fighting across Endor, the game is for you. Last night I managed to eliminate Luke Skywalker by myself. You can play as various heroes/villains if you get enough points to unlock them. There's also a sweet star-fighter mode where you can fly X-Wings, TIE Fighters, or any of those. It was like 7 bucks on the Playstation Store the other night.
We have had Battlefront 2 for a while now (since last year). I actually don't like it as much as the original, but i do like the story mode, and the additional characters.

AG74683

Cyburbian
We have had Battlefront 2 for a while now (since last year). I actually don't like it as much as the original, but i do like the story mode, and the additional characters.
If you haven't played it in a while, give it a shot again. They have Clone War content now, and tons of interesting game modes. The story was really pretty good.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Milan, Italy is further north than Green Bay, Wisconsin.
And Liverpool, England is at the 53rd parallel north. Daylight...after 4p...in January...

And Alpena, MI is on the 45th parallel (effectively).

If you haven't played it in a while, give it a shot again. They have Clone War content now, and tons of interesting game modes. The story was really pretty good.
A palindrome post # from you - 4994.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I got stuck in Assassin's Creed Odyssey... stupid AC games...I end up wasting time playing when I know I won't like the story, etc.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Why do Arm-Chair Planners always call five minutes before quitting time?:-{

michaelskis

Cyburbian
And Liverpool, England is at the 53rd parallel north. Daylight...after 4p...in January...

And Alpena, MI is on the 45th parallel (effectively).

A palindrome post # from you - 4994.
The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is further north than Ottawa Canada.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I got stuck in Assassin's Creed Odyssey... stupid AC games...I end up wasting time playing when I know I won't like the story, etc.
The last one of those I played was Black Flag, and I had a ton of fun with it. I never did finish the story though. I think that was around the time I got my PS4 and never touched the Xbox again.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
A sign contractor is not happy with my interpretation of our sign regulations, imagine that. They sent an email requesting clarification. As I was crafting a response, I debated with myself whether there was a need to include my typical closing sentence "Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about this matter." The reality is that sentence is a waste of words because I doubt anyone ever says "oh, he did not say we could ask any questions so I will not bother him." I feel like that folks interpret that phrase as "Feel free to question the content of this email." I ended up including it as my email looked incomplete without it; however, I did pause before I hit send in order to give my future self or any future being the opportunity to travel back in time to encourage me to do something different. In lieu of a time traveler's intervention, I have to the think that the time line for either including or omitting the phrase will be basically the same.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The last one of those I played was Black Flag, and I had a ton of fun with it. I never did finish the story though. I think that was around the time I got my PS4 and never touched the Xbox again.
Black Flag was awesome. Since then they have sucked. Odyssey is great, I just know the time sink I am getting into.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Black Flag was awesome. Since then they have sucked. Odyssey is great, I just know the time sink I am getting into.
I really need to pick it up for PS4. So many ridiculous issues today. I go through all this effort to make bullet point checklists for people, and it never seems to help.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Saw a couple videos from a Madonna / Metallica mashup band. Not one of humanity's better ideas.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
There's a plague that has contaminated our home, otherwise known as a highly contagious stomach bug. The girls had it a few nights ago. CCG came down with it yesterday, and the older kid ended up being sick again last night. My stomach has just felt a little unsettled today, so I'm afraid I'm going down finally. :(

AG74683

Cyburbian
There's a plague that has contaminated our home, otherwise known as a highly contagious stomach bug. The girls had it a few nights ago. CCG came down with it yesterday, and the older kid ended up being sick again last night. My stomach has just felt a little unsettled today, so I'm afraid I'm going down finally. :(
The following image is what inspired me to delete Facebook the other day. NOTE: This does NOT work. :not:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The following image is what inspired me to delete Facebook the other day. NOTE: This does NOT work. :not:

My wife gets really mad with all the "natural" cures out there, which clearly do not actually account to anything. People love to detox and naturally clean their system, because that is what people have done for "thousands" of years. Turns out that's why the life expectancy was so low then and not now. We have medicine now. Go to a trained physician. Not listen to Sarah on Facebook....

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I hate that family illness domino thing. First someone gets a bug. Then another family member, then another. All the while wondering if you're going to be the final link in the sickness chain. It doesn't always come to pass, though.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Saw a couple videos from a Madonna / Metallica mashup band. Not one of humanity's better ideas.
Slightly related/off-topic...there are some really good mashup videos out there...these are a couple of my favorites:

[youtube]FjLhLgdhzMQ[/youtube]

[youtube]gZHbo_Pnr-M[/youtube]

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I hate that family illness domino thing. First someone gets a bug. Then another family member, then another. All the while wondering if you're going to be the final link in the sickness chain. It doesn't always come to pass, though.
One of my responses to anxiety is to be sick to my stomach. A week ago, maybe, I just started feeling sick in the middle of the night that I couldn't attribute to any particular reason (didn't feel like I ate anything weird, wasn't feeling particularly stressed out, etc.). So one of my theories is that I've already gotten the stomach bug and just didn't know it because I'm so used to throwing up in general.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah yes. Bella was inflicted with this plague on the eve of her 1st birthday party and while she felt better for the event, several hours after the event concluded I was not feeling so great and retired early. Naturally we were staying out of town at a family member's house. Then up came everything consumed at the party and I spent the next several hours in the fetal position and my husband making fun of me. Then the opposite end starting having problems which although annoying was nowhere near as awful as the upchucking. Finally I feel asleep at 3am only to be started awake by my husband furiously trying to exit the room by shouldering the door as the doorknob had jammed. He made it to the bathroom, but was only marginally successful at hitting the target with the contents of his stomach. He sheepishly crawled back into bed with profuse apologies where I reminded him he had yet to experience Phase II.

One by one the remaining occupants of the house was felled by this pestilence and when it was all done we gave the house a good airing in the dead of winter and doused every surface with Lysol and Clorox. The drive home from Massachusetts to New Jersey was not very pleasant.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Only one way you could know that definitively...
Haha, I actually looked it up. I was thinking there was absolutely no way it was true. There's some stuff online about how it does effectively nothing written by actual doctors so I'll take their word for it over Sarah's!

It sort of reminds me of all that essential oils crap.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Haha, I actually looked it up. I was thinking there was absolutely no way it was true. There's some stuff online about how it does effectively nothing written by actual doctors so I'll take their word for it over Sarah's!

;)

I have some oils that people have given me. I would never spend money on them, but sometimes I'll diffuse them because they smell good (I was also gifted the diffuser). I'm incredibly skeptical of them, but it's possible they have some very, very minor benefits. Some of the claimed benefits like helping with sleep or stress relief I believe are more psychosomatic than anything. But if it works for people, who am I to judge?

I had a friend that started talking about how she needed to stock up on oregano oil when the ebola outbreak was at its height. That one made me angry.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
One by one the remaining occupants of the house was felled by this pestilence....
"Felled by this pestilence?":lmao:
LOL! Post of the day!

Yea verily, as the vile spectre of this malaise maliciously extended the shadow of its poxed tendrils throughout the bosom of hearth and home, the denizens of this formerly tranquil domestic scene were sequentially stricken with a virulent, violent, and sadly emetic indisposition which caused the proverbial sluices to open up simultaneously at both ends....:lmao:

Who writes your material?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I saw Black Flag and initially thought of the punk band.

Big Owl

Cyburbian

I just thought of "Sara" by Fleetwood Mac... it mentions flu in the song, granted it spelled "flew" and Sarah is spelled "Sara". Coincidence? Not likely but I'll throw it out there for the conspiracy theorist.

Said [STRIKEOUT]Sara[/STRIKEOUT]Sarah, you're the poet in my heart
Never change, never stop
But now it's gone
It doesn't matter what for
But when you build your house
Then call me home

Hold on
The night is coming and the starling [STRIKEOUT]flew[/STRIKEOUT]flu for days
I'd stay home at night, all the time
I'd go anywhere, anywhere, anywhere
Ask me and I'm there, yeah
Ask me and I'm there, I care

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
;)

I have some oils that people have given me. I would never spend money on them, but sometimes I'll diffuse them because they smell good (I was also gifted the diffuser). I'm incredibly skeptical of them, but it's possible they have some very, very minor benefits. Some of the claimed benefits like helping with sleep or stress relief I believe are more psychosomatic than anything. But if it works for people, who am I to judge?
The GF is into the essential oils. She has two diffusers. When i have a headache at night she has rubbed some eucalyptus oil on my forehead and it seems help relieve some pressure. I do like the smell though.

DVD

Cyburbian
I have surprising little to add to the conversation today. So Ill go with something entirely random like, if poison expires does it become more poisonous or not at all?

gtpeach

Cyburbian
How is it that essential oils now has its own thread but the video game discussion never got split off????

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
How is it that essential oils now has its own thread but the video game discussion never got split off????
It's those danged mods. They make their decisions so arbitrarily and capriciously. Hard to know what to talk about anymore.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Maister is not interested in new-fangle technology like that. Now if we were talking about gas powered radio games....

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Maister is not interested in new-fangle technology like that. Now if we were talking about gas powered radio games....
I prefer steam powered games over gas. Get it.....Steam powered?

Planit

Cyburbian
I have spoken to 3 councilmen and the mayor today - none about the same subject.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Sounds like they've been zoning administrators for too long...
Could be.
This is the point where some clever planner-type chimes in with a post using the phrase 'in a turgid state'.

kms

Cyburbian
Nothing like a Friday afternoon $hit show involving angry developers, board members, and a nervous township manager, resulting from hotheaded comments by a defensive inspector two months ago. I swear I work with a bunch of catty,13 year-old girls. And I was the only person at the office who could deal with this. :-@

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing like a Friday afternoon $hit show involving angry developers, board members, and a nervous township manager, resulting from hotheaded comments by a defensive inspector two months ago. I swear I work with a bunch of catty,13 year-old girls. And I was the only person at the office who could deal with this. :-@
I love the angry developers. "I'm going to call your boss!" Oh please do, she's just going to transfer you back to me. "I'm going to call they county attorney!" Certainly you may, but she will consult with me about what to tell you but will up the work count by a factor of 1,000 and you will be confused and ask me to explain it to you. "I'm going to call the county executive!" Tell him I said hi, it's been a while since he's stopped by. BTW he's just going to forward you to my boss who is going to transfer you back to me.

Developer: ok so can you please explain to me again why......

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Commentary: Ranch dressing is what's wrong with America
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-ranch-dressing-pizza-french-fries-20161101-story.html

putting it on pizza — a horrifying, common practice — is insane because pizza is already dripping with mozzarella. It's completely redundant, wildly unhealthy and disrespectful to any halfway decent pizza, the chef who made it and to the Italian people who gave it to us. (One pizzeria in Houston, owned by Italian Americans, has banned ranch dressing.) Pizza does not need a dipping sauce, because it's already perfect. If it needs ranch to improve the taste, it's bad pizza, and you shouldn't eat it at all.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Holy changes, Batman.

My eyes will need time to adjust to this new Matrix.

Thanks, Dan.

Reactions: JNA

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Yea, it is going to take me a while to find everything. I am sad about the loss of my original avatar, but I will get by. Wonder how you get points? Hmmm.