Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Next Monday begins the interior renovations to correct damage caused by Hurricane Michael. Half the house will be sealed off. It's going to be the week, or more, of living hell. The pets will be going nuts. On the bright side, it's the last contractor.

Has anyone ever worked for a COG? What was that like compared to working for an actual municipality? The one back home has a job opening and I'm planning on applying (for real this time) but I don't know what to expect. My experience with COG's has been lackluster so far.
I haven't worked at our COG but I am one of our staff liaisons to various boards down there and work closely with them and am down in there office every couple of weeks or so (I did actually interview there shortly after hiring in here and then got a random call from them a few years later asking if I'd still be interested in a position there).

I've also had a quite a bit of professional interaction with a couple other COGs in Michigan.

In my experience, there seems to be a huge range of how much authority COGs have and how effective they are and it seems to be based almost entirely on the size of the population they serve. COGs in relatively small metros that are primarily rural or don't have a huge industrial base don't do much outside of traditional transportation planning and some very basic growth forecasting. If you are at a COG that serves a few million people and many individual communities the COG is more likely to offer more services to the communities, like technical assistance for environmental planning, economic development, citizen-planner training, site selection assistance,

AG74683

Cyburbian
This COG is kinda rural, but more suburbs than anything I think. I really HATE transportation planning, but the position advertised is as "Community and Regional Planner". No mention of anything related to transportation in it.

DVD

Cyburbian
No baby shark, do do do do do, no baby shark....
It was a Daddy Shark, do do do do do, Daddy Shark, do do do do do.

This COG is kinda rural, but more suburbs than anything I think. I really HATE transportation planning, but the position advertised is as "Community and Regional Planner". No mention of anything related to transportation in it.
The one here pays a little less than most cities, but it's better than state jobs. They do A LOT of transportation planning and have a bunch of cool transportation projects, but that's big city stuff. I find they vary from place to place. Anywhere from great to they really just distribute the transportation money to the big city and do what they're told. Just because it says community and regional planner doesn't mean you're not doing transportation, but it might fall into some kind of unincorporated community long range planner or coordinating stuff between suburbs.

This came up in conversation today so I used the skills Raf taught me and made a meme.
1547840328867.png

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
My good buddy works at our local cog (i run into him quite often during work related functions). He does a lot of GIS modeling, transportation demand forecasting, as well as, working on the census data. He is, for all intensive purposes, and 90,000 foot level guy, while we are more 10,000 foot level folks. He says he could never do my job because of people, he hates dealing with everyday people. I can never do his job because it is so 90,000 foot level, it would drive me nuts to not see anything come to fruition, and let's be honest, the people make for great drinking stories.

AG74683

Cyburbian
He says he could never do my job because of people, he hates dealing with everyday people.
See this is exactly what I'm looking for. I want to deal with other people in the field, or those who actually know what they're talking about. I don't want to counter type work anymore. I like plat reviews, site plan reviews, researching codes, etc. I don't even have issues with land use cases, rezonings, variances, stuff like that. It's the daily zoning permits and code enforcement stuff that absolutely kills me.

Planit

Cyburbian
Here's a question then...what do you consider Sheetz? Is it a restaurant with gas (as I've heard in PA) or is it a gas station with a restaurant (as is said in NC)?

So Big Guy, I have not eaten there since I use the 'gas station food' definition and therefore will not eat there. Get it Chief?

Has anyone ever worked for a COG? What was that like compared to working for an actual municipality? The one back home has a job opening and I'm planning on applying (for real this time) but I don't know what to expect. My experience with COG's has been lackluster so far.
It depends on their mission and what type of work they are doing. I've never worked for one but have worked with them.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[old Cyburbia user]

We're such wusses now. There's a foot of snow (30 Euroinches) in the forecast for the weekend, and people are talking about it like it's going to be the storm of the century. Wifey sends me to Wegmans to pick up a few things after work, and the place is jammed like a Publix in Florida before a hurricane. Of course, they're out of half of the things on her shopping list. Progresso chicken soup and Field Roast meatless Italian sausages. Wegmans never has them when I go on a good day. Do you think they'll be on the shelves when there's hundreds of shoppers in the store, in full-on panic mode?

[/old Cyburbia user]

Get your tiny houses and Limebikes off my lawn, you damn hipster kids!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Same freakout mode here in NEOH. It's dumb. This is a regular snowstorm that's going to hit in the middle of the weekend and most schools are closed on Monday.

kjel

Super Moderator
[old Cyburbia user]

We're such wusses now. There's a foot of snow (30 Euroinches) in the forecast for the weekend, and people are talking about it like it's going to be the storm of the century. Wifey sends me to Wegmans to pick up a few things after work, and the place is jammed like a Publix in Florida before a hurricane. Of course, they're out of half of the things on her shopping list. Progresso chicken soup and Field Roast meatless Italian sausages. Wegmans never has them when I go on a good day. Do you think they'll be on the shelves when there's hundreds of shoppers in the store, in full-on panic mode?

[/old Cyburbia user]

Get your tiny houses and Limebikes off my lawn, you damn hipster kids!
So ridiculous. I'm like it's either going to be 2" or 2'. You know what to do. Here's a shovel, here's salt, make sure you have a reasonable amount of food in the house (like why don't you have food already?), make arrangements to park your car off street so the plow can roll through, don't drive if you don't feel safe driving-and please make sure you have adequate gas.