• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The new look is going to take some getting used to.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't know about the new avatar I chose. I wish I had the old 'liberal guy' from This Modern World. But maybe the anonymous thing with the suit and globe can work too.. What do y'all think?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Yea, I mean we are all going to have to think really hard about what the new us looks like. I picture DVD as a wombat. Is that unfair?

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I just put my same avatar back up. Mostly 'cause I'm lazy and it's one of the few photos I already had downloaded onto my work computer.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I like being able to like posts.

This new style seems to look and function a lot like a couple other message boards I use on a regular basis.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
South of here, the mother that gave birth to the first child of 2019 was arrested for manufacturing meth less than a week later. The baby's name was Atom Bomb. It is sad that children have to endure that and hopefully the child will be placed with someone who will care for it and consider changing it's name once it is adopted.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Notice the little green triangle in the upper left corner of an avatar - who is online now

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
It's important to save the jpeg of your favorite avatar on a private hard drive.

It's good to be Unfrozen Caveman Planner again.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
South of here, the mother that gave birth to the first child of 2019 was arrested for manufacturing meth less than a week later. The baby's name was Atom Bomb. It is sad that children have to endure that and hopefully the child will be placed with someone who will care for it and consider changing it's name once it is adopted.
You'd think after my involvement as a foster parent I'd be more immune to stories like this, but it just breaks my heart even more. To know that it's not just the girls I care for that are impacted, but people across the country are completely unable to set aside their own selfish interests to do what's in the best interests of their kids is devastating. I genuinely hoped that I would be able to support broken families as they worked towards putting the pieces back together. But that doesn't seem to be likely in my case, and far too many of the cases that get to this point.

I've always leaned kind of to the left on the side of providing social safety nets, and I still do on a societal level - I think it's far more important to err on the side of helping too many people than not helping enough. But I have found myself become more calloused on an individual level. I've just seen the abuse of the system up close and personal now, and find it completely distasteful and revolting.

DVD

Cyburbian
Today I must not only get used to the new and improved Cyburbia, but also everyone's new avatars. I'm going with squirrel for now. I might have to go back to Zapp.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Today I must not only get used to the new and improved Cyburbia, but also everyone's new avatars. I'm going with squirrel for now. I might have to go back to Zapp.
Disappointed you didn't even consider a wombat.

Planit

Cyburbian
If you were watching the Cowboys playoff game Saturday night, I hope none of you had to see the Cowboy receiver Hurns get injured. It was very graphic. They showed the replay once from 2 different angles (one zoomed in) and didn't show it again.

A defender fell on Hurns left leg during a tackle and his foot went the opposite direction of the rest of him. Not quite "Thiesman" but truly bad.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
You'd think after my involvement as a foster parent I'd be more immune to stories like this, but it just breaks my heart even more. To know that it's not just the girls I care for that are impacted, but people across the country are completely unable to set aside their own selfish interests to do what's in the best interests of their kids is devastating. I genuinely hoped that I would be able to support broken families as they worked towards putting the pieces back together. But that doesn't seem to be likely in my case, and far too many of the cases that get to this point.

I've always leaned kind of to the left on the side of providing social safety nets, and I still do on a societal level - I think it's far more important to err on the side of helping too many people than not helping enough. But I have found myself become more calloused on an individual level. I've just seen the abuse of the system up close and personal now, and find it completely distasteful and revolting.
The wife and I fostered our oldest for 3 years prior to adoption. I spent a lot of time sitting in court during that time. I heard stories similar to that but it still gets to me. I am open to doing foster care again but the emotional strain is more than I ever thought it would be. I admire you and anyone that does foster care.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
The wife and I fostered our oldest for 3 years prior to adoption. I spent a lot of time sitting in court during that time. I heard stories similar to that but it still gets to me. I am open to doing foster care again but the emotional strain is more than I ever thought it would be. I admire you and anyone that does foster care.
We’re definitely taking a break after this. CCG isn’t certified yet, but even so, we need some recovery time before we can consider it long-term again. We think we would like to provide short-term respite and be a child care resource for other foster families after this.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
If you were watching the Cowboys playoff game Saturday night, I hope none of you had to see the Cowboy receiver Hurns get injured. It was very graphic. They showed the replay once from 2 different angles (one zoomed in) and didn't show it again.

A defender fell on Hurns left leg during a tackle and his foot went the opposite direction of the rest of him. Not quite "Thiesman" but truly bad.

I googled it and almost puked...

AG74683

Cyburbian
Person calls and leaves 45 minute long rambling message about emailing me. They literally had to go to the county website (which has my email all over it) to get the phone number. Why the hell do you need to CALL to ask if you can email? Just freaking email.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I like the new forum, but it's going to take me a while to figure out.o_O

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Really? It's pretty standard stuff.
Really! I am not a big forums person, so the old Cyburbia VBulletin format is the only onefamiliar to me. There are still some old dogs out here, you know ...

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I need to figure out how to change my location. I've moved again. Otherwise, I'm liking the new look.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
This one pretty much does what the old one did, but better, plus it does more. One feature I really like on modern forums is if you select text in a post, a little pop-up that says "Reply" appears, and if you click on that it will quote just that portion of the post. Like from your post above, I just selected a few random words:

person, so the old Cyburbia VBulletin

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Avatar is back. This new look is interesting.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I sold $142 dollars worth of silver coins recently.

I sold a watch today. It sold at full asking price and I had about a half dozen interested buyers and email messages less than an hour after posting it on the forum. I think I should have priced it a bit higher.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I like the new forum, but it's going to take me a while to figure out.o_O
Me too! Some of the behind-the-scenes way of managing user and forum permissions, p[plugins, themes, and the like are MUCH different than with vBulletin. I'm treading softly, so it'll be a little while -- not that long, though -- before muscle memory takes over, and I (along with others) know all the ins and outs of XenForo.

Server load is much lower now, despite no drop in traffic. That makes me a happy camper.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Me too! Some of the behind-the-scenes way of managing user and forum permissions, p[plugins, themes, and the like are MUCH different than with vBulletin. I'm treading softly, so it'll be a little while -- not that long, though -- before muscle memory takes over, and I (along with others) know all the ins and outs of XenForo.

Server load is much lower now, despite no drop in traffic. That makes me a happy camper.
What was the main cause of the server load? Just the way VBulletin dealt with traffic?

DVD

Cyburbian
I must figure out how one planner of the several in the office never seems to take a turn at the counter.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Im listening to the smashing pumpkins. First three pumpkins records are excellent!

Agreed. Those first three albums remind me of high school more than just about any other 3-album stretch (even though Gish came out when I was still in 7th or 8th grade). It saddened me how much worse the band got starting with Adore. I can never understand how albums like Adore and Machina and Zeitgeist sold as well as they did.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well I have an avatar but I'm not sure I am fond of it. The text isn't very legible.