• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Planit

Cyburbian
AIB Smelly Cat song:

In her younger days, The Girl would ask for some expense thing and I would say "You can't always get what you want ... " and then later I started singing that line. She got annoyed that I made up that song about telling her no for something she wanted.

I then pulled it up on YouTube and played the Stones for her and she got mad at me because I knew the words to that song. I still sing it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
lol not in that town hall anymore
Yes, but now that you're working at home you should feel emboldened to not simply hum 'Shattered' but rather belt out in full abandon with song and dance while strutting down the hallway in your undies:

Uh huh shattered, uh huh shattered
Love and hope and sex and dreams
Are still surviving on the street
Look at me, I'm in tatters!
I'm a shattered

Shattered!

AG74683

Cyburbian
It doesn't matter what city, state, country, or planet you are in or on, Hardee's is guaranteed to be the slowest fast food restaurant available.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It doesn't matter what city, state, country, or planet you are in or on, Hardee's is guaranteed to be the slowest fast food restaurant available.
Except in upstate New York, where we have neither Hardee's nor Carl's Jr. :(

Nor Shake Shack or In-and-Out. :(

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I dunno dude.. 5 guys is pretty slow and In-N-Out, but at In-n-Out, it's the shear number of people that are there.

arcplans

Sooo after about a 3 hour meeting I am sitting here decompressing at bdubs and a family with small children walk in.. its 9:50...
1552366203565.png

Hink

OH....IO
Sooo after about a 3 hour meeting I am sitting here decompressing at bdubs and a family with small children walk in.. its 9:50...
View attachment 6101
We used to go to dinner after I played indoor soccer and it was like 9. I always got looks. My kids generally go to bed at 8:30 or 9 so it isn't like we did this a lot, but people really like to gawk.

With that said 10PM is late for anyone to eat. I feel for their bowels.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The letters on this scratchoff lottery ticket look like a Polish name.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Except in upstate New York, where we have neither Hardee's nor Carl's Jr. :(

Nor Shake Shack or In-and-Out. :(
Oh, quit your complaining and go get some food from the nearest Jack in the Box, Whataburger, White Castle, Rally's, or Church's Fried Chicken.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Or...more specifically for Dan's location...the local co-op vegan lettuce wrap shop.
They probably have one of those across the street from his workplace. However, he might have to drive a bit to visit the establishments I named (evidently upstate NY hates chains).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
(evidently upstate NY hates chains).
Not to get all Macy★s, but it's the vice versa that's true. Chains tend to forget about upstate New York in their expansion plans. High taxes and being forever in the shadow of NYC don't help. Buffalonians have a virulent hatred of chains. Some chains get a pass, mainly those that are local or local-by-proxy - Tim Horton's (over 200 in the region, and still expanding), Wegmans, Mighty Taco, and Ted's Hot Dogs are a few.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
My hometown in a Syracuse suburb has every kind of chain imaginable and when Sonic wanted to come in, then suddenly there was an uprising about chains - seriously? It was laughable and they got approved anyway.

Reactions: Dan

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Trump says planes are becoming ‘far too complex to fly’ after crash of Boeing jet in Ethiopia
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/trump-says-planes-too-complex-after-crash-of-boeing-jet-in-ethiopia.html

“Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT,” Trump wrote in a morning tweet. “I see it all the time in many products. Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better.”
Lets go back to horse & buggies and biplanes ?

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Why is morning rush hour traffic the worst on Tuesdays? Do these people not have to go somewhere on the other weekdays?

arcplans

Why is morning rush hour traffic the worst on Tuesdays? Do these people not have to go somewhere on the other weekdays?
Going to assume many people take 9/80 in your parts, but then again, isn't traffic always a nag between 6-9 and 2:30 to like 8?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Back in the dark ages when I was growing up, they were called Pollacks.
Pollack is a bit of derisive term. People from Poland or of Polish ancestry use the term "Pole" to describe themselves.

Though, I joke around with my Dad about all the old Pollacks he's related to and, since he's almost 76, is himself.

Being one generation separated from actual Polish and German immigrants, I also like to talk about the cheapskate Krauts and Pollacks I'm related to.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I feel like I should know what "sjw"s are, but all I can think is "Southern Jehovah's Witnesses", and imagining Jesus saying "Ya'll come back now, hear?"

Also I kinda feel like he's talking to me so I'm getting nervous about it.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Pollack is a bit of derisive term. People from Poland or of Polish ancestry use the term "Pole" to describe themselves.

Though, I joke around with my Dad about all the old Pollacks he's related to and, since he's almost 76, is himself.

Being one generation separated from actual Polish and German immigrants, I also like to talk about the cheapskate Krauts and Pollacks I'm related to.
I use the term Pole myself. I just remember the old term. I've had to caution my dad in the past that certain slang terms for different religious, ethnic and racial groups are no longer ok. It doesn't stop him from using the terms at times.

FWIW, I've called him a stubborn, old Kraut more than once. Same expression I used for grandfather.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I've had to caution my dad in the past that certain slang terms for different religious, ethnic and racial groups are no longer ok. It doesn't stop him from using the terms at times..

Damn [insert ethnic slur here]!

Anyhow, why have I not seen this before?

Hink

OH....IO
I feel like I should know what "sjw"s are, but all I can think is "Southern Jehovah's Witnesses", and imagining Jesus saying "Ya'll come back now, hear?"

I know who SJP is. I mean who doesn't? She was great in SITC. She did marry MB though, which is odd to me.

gtpeach

Cyburbian

Social Justice Warriors. I feel like he's making the point that there are a lot of politically incorrect terminologies being flung about that certain sectors of our society might find offensive. :)

ursus

I know who SJP is. I mean who doesn't? She was great in SITC. She did marry MB though, which is odd to me.
As a celebrity you have to worry about becoming MJ, or SJP, but you ALSO have to worry about the idiots in society combining your name with whomever you date. My name would be awkward, since I would want to date Carla Gugino if I were a celebrity. I guess they'd call us "Carl-Us", or maybe "Ur-Gino" if my dreams came true. I'll bet celebs HATE that.

Social Justice Warriors. I feel like he's making the point that there are a lot of politically incorrect terminologies being flung about that certain sectors of our society might find offensive. :)
I KNEW that I should recognize that!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
My FIL has, in recent past years, referred to individuals from Asia/Southeast Asia or ancestry as "Orientals".

He was born in 1949 not 1849 and is a former auto industry engineer that retired in 2005.

I had to call him out on it too. It was fun.

Last edited:

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Tonight, I get to go home and tell my six-year-old foster daughter who has already experienced a huge amount of trauma in her very short life that her 16-year-old cousin was killed in a car accident yesterday afternoon. The social worker asked me to wait to talk to her until the counselor would be there, so she'll have some good support for the initial shock of hearing the news, but I'm not sure what to expect from her reaction. Their families were close, but she hasn't seen her cousin since Halloween.

Planit

Cyburbian
So I'm supposed to come up with construction costs for a fairly large project - that will happen in 3 years.

In this economy and the way contractors bid jobs, that's impossible. I'll probably be a couple million off on a $10 million project which is substantial. I'm going to set an inflation figure at 25%-30%.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I just received a call from a guy who fussed at me for not calling about a complaint he made. During the conversation he acknowledged that when he called to complain he wanted to remain anonymous, he specifically asked me not to take his name & number, and he told me not to call him. He also said that had I tried to call him that he likely would have missed my call because he is not home often and he doesn't have an answering machine. With all of that said, he was still upset that I didn't call him.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
My FIL has, in recent past years, referred to individuals from Asia/Southeast Asia or ancestry as "Orientals".
My wife's 93 yr old grandfather used to refer to all Asians (well, males at any rate) as 'Chinamen'. Didn't matter if you were talking about someone from Seoul, Tokyo, or Hanoi - they were all 'Chinamen.'

Thing is, I truly don't think he intended it to be a slur.

ursus

I just received a call from a guy who fussed at me for not calling about a complaint he made. During the conversation he acknowledged that when he called to complain he wanted to remain anonymous, he specifically asked me not to take his name & number, and he told me not to call him. He also said that had I tried to call him that he likely would have missed my call because he is not home often and he doesn't have an answering machine. With all of that said, he was still upset that I didn't call him.
Is he my wife?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My wife's 93 yr old grandfather used to refer to all Asians (well, males at any rate) as 'Chinamen'. Didn't matter if you were talking about someone from Seoul, Tokyo, or Hanoi - they were all 'Chinamen.'

Thing is, I truly don't think he intended it to be a slur.
In the old, industrial areas in the Midwest, I don't think the terms were meant as slurs. However, I'm not so naive as to believe that there were at times. These areas high a high European immigration and the different groups had short hand terms for them.

Hink

OH....IO
Man this pay to get in scandal is crazy. They got caught paying to get their kids into schools they shouldn't have gotten into. Falsified test scores, fake athletic abilities.... this is a perfect TV movie. But who should it star? Maybe Felicity Huffman and Lori Laughlin?

What too soon?