• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

DVD

Cyburbian
I feel like I should know what "sjw"s are, but all I can think is "Southern Jehovah's Witnesses", and imagining Jesus saying "Ya'll come back now, hear?"

Also I kinda feel like he's talking to me so I'm getting nervous about it.
We all seem to have skipped another Ursus gem. I'm just picturing Jesus in a mullet saying great things like, "Blessed are the NASCAR drivers y'all." and "He's gotta little sin on him, bless his heart, but I forgive him."

Man this pay to get in scandal is crazy. They got caught paying to get their kids into schools they shouldn't have gotten into. Falsified test scores, fake athletic abilities.... this is a perfect TV movie. But who should it star? Maybe Felicity Huffman and Lori Laughlin?

What too soon?
Seriously, is it that hard to get into USC that you need to bribe someone with half a million? You would think for that kind of money you could pay to get your kid into a decent private college. You know, pay for that new library wing.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Tonight, I get to go home and tell my six-year-old foster daughter who has already experienced a huge amount of trauma in her very short life that her 16-year-old cousin was killed in a car accident yesterday afternoon. The social worker asked me to wait to talk to her until the counselor would be there, so she'll have some good support for the initial shock of hearing the news, but I'm not sure what to expect from her reaction. Their families were close, but she hasn't seen her cousin since Halloween.
My heart goes out to your foster daughter. I'm glad she has you and her counselor there.

My oldest (soon to be) stepson went through a lot of trauma from when he was 5-8 years old and he's a totally awesome teenager now because of loving, responsible adults in his life.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Today is the 30th anniversary of the World Wide Web!

And October (I forgot the exact date) will be the 25th anniversary of Cyburbia, if you also consider the two years before the message board became active.

And many of those posts still exist deep in the forums. :)

In the early days of the Web, people didn't hesitate to use their real name in posts. It was a different Internet, before effective search engines, scraper bots, and spam. If I went to a conference in the 1990s or early 2000s, some people would immediately recognize the name on my nametag from early PAIRC/Cyburbia posts. Today, it probably wouldn't register. That's probably a good thing. I appreciated the recognition 20-plus years ago, but it's the site that I'd like people to recognize now.

el Guapo

Professor Emeritus of Cyburbian Studies
I spent two hours on the phone today coaching a young bureaucrat eager to come out of the public sector closet so he can embrace his entrepreneurial true self. We even talked about Arthur Betz Laffer and how to game IRS equipment depreciation allowances. There is something exciting about living openly as a despised minority.

I'm pretty sure he's going to be okay.

Hink

OH....IO
It might be time for some new dress shoes. No matter how I tie them they are never tight enough. I really like these shoes too.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Let's play "find the earliest message"

Test Message from Dan - 3/24/96
Here!

I had a bunch of old backups and copies of PAIRC threads that I imported into Cyburbia years ago, either (1) by hand (with the help of vBulletin plugins that would let me alter the date and time of messages) and some database hacking to associate those posts with dummy or real user accounts; or (2) through a chain of importers -- WWWBoard to something else to something else to vBulletin, with batch editing along the way to make sure the imports had clean formatting. I don't think I could recreate (2) today. A lot of messages on that page are in an ancient backup, but for some reason I never imported them.

Because WWWBoard didn't have subforums with pages, but rather a single topic page that could stretch on forever, I had to cull threads to keep the topic pages from getting too long. I'd say about 80% of old WWWBoard threads are lost to the ether. Most old message boards don't have any of their pre-vBulletin/UBB/phpBB/etc threads.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It might be time for some new dress shoes. No matter how I tie them they are never tight enough. I really like these shoes too.
I don't own, need, want dress shoes.

Last time wore them was 20+ yrs ago at some wedding.

Hink

OH....IO
I don't own, need, want dress shoes.

Last time wore them was 20+ yrs ago at some wedding.
What do you wear to work? I wear basically two pairs (maybe three) of shoes to work. I try and rotate, but usually I just wear one pair for weeks on end until I put them somewhere odd then I just switch.

Hink

OH....IO
Man this pay to get in scandal is crazy. They got caught paying to get their kids into schools they shouldn't have gotten into. Falsified test scores, fake athletic abilities.... this is a perfect TV movie. But who should it star? Maybe Felicity Huffman and Lori Laughlin?

What too soon?
So the FBI named the sting Operation Varsity Blues. Seriously. Honestly how do you sign up to be the FBI Operation namer?

Veloise

Cyburbian
Leather?
Fill a dishpan with warm water, add the shoes, let them soak until completely wet. Take them out, drain the water, then set them on a towel to dry out a bit. When they are barely damp, put them on and wear around the house for a while.
If you miss the damp-wear window and they completely dry out, spray with warm water and do the house wear.

If they are synthetic, this won't work. Try thicker socks.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I somehow missed the previous discussions even though I glanced through the thread first...

I read this article about Lori Laughlin's daughter this morning, and it just made me angry. They spent $500,000 bribing officials to get their daughter admitted to a school that she doesn't even really seem to want to go to. So stupid. Also, they had no reason to even need to go to college - they're already incredibly successful and college isn't going to do anything to contribute to their ongoing success...

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Short rant: We had a storm overnight and the city set off their tornado sirens. According to their own policy,

Sirens will be activated for:
  • A tornado warning issued by the national Weather Service
  • Tornado or funnel cloud reported by a reliable source such as a storm spotter or RACES member
  • Sustained winds in excess of 70 mph
  • Reports of hail 1 ½ inch diameter or larger
  • Chemical spill emergency
  • State or national emergency declared by the governor or president
  • Discretion of Office of Emergency Management Duty Officer
There was no hail with this storm, and the highest wind gust recorded was in the low-50 mph range. So basically they woke me up at 4 am for nothing.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
What do you wear to work? I wear basically two pairs (maybe three) of shoes to work. I try and rotate, but usually I just wear one pair for weeks on end until I put them somewhere odd then I just switch.
I have 2 pairs of Merrill's hike/walking shoes, 2 pairs of knockoff/lookalikes Merrills

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Leather?
Fill a dishpan with warm water, add the shoes, let them soak until completely wet. Take them out, drain the water, then set them on a towel to dry out a bit. When they are barely damp, put them on and wear around the house for a while.
If you miss the damp-wear window and they completely dry out, spray with warm water and do the house wear.
I would strongly advise against this method for multiple reasons:
  • If they have a leather sole that have any cracks or small holes in them, the water will get into those holes and destroy the soles from the inside out, the water will also get into the footbeds (which are often made of cork or comparable synthetic materials) and they will literally begin to turn to mush
  • If the soles are glued on, saturation in that much water can cause the glue to break down
  • If the shoes are properly welted and the soles are actually sewn on, the water may cause the stitching to contract and begin to prematurely break
  • If the shoes are corrected grain leather and there is any cracking along the creases, saturation will cause the cracking to spread and the leather will spread more quickly and start to actually peel away
  • If the shoes are full grain leather soaking them could cause the leather to tighten along the creases too much and then begin to crack (corrected grain leather will naturally crack given enough time; full grain leather will crease along the vamp where your foot bends but shouldn't crack but if the leather tightens unnaturally, it will eventually crack)
  • Corrected grain or full grain, soaking the shoes in water and soap will remove the natural oils in the leather and cause the leather to dry out and you will forever be using polishes or moisturizers to try and get them looking like they used to
Anyway you slice it, soaking your leather shoes in water will significantly shorten their lifespan.

If they are a quality full grain leather shoe from a company like Allen Edmonds or Alden (or some of the older J&M or Florsheim), I'd recommend sending them back to the manufacturer as I believe they all still offer full reconditioning services which will include "re-lasting" the shoes which means they put them back on to the correct form for the size and style of shoe and then will redo all the stitching which will tighten them back up a bit like they were when they were new.

Hink

OH....IO
  • If they have a leather sole that have any cracks or small holes in them, the water will get into those holes and destroy the soles from the inside out, the water will also get into the footbeds (which are often made of cork or comparable synthetic materials) and they will literally begin to turn to mush
  • If the soles are glued on, saturation in that much water can cause the glue to break down
  • If the shoes are properly welted and the soles are actually sewn on, the water may cause the stitching to contract and begin to prematurely break
  • If the shoes are corrected grain leather and there is any cracking along the creases, saturation will cause the cracking to spread and the leather will spread more quickly and start to actually peel away
  • If the shoes are full grain leather soaking them could cause the leather to tighten along the creases too much and then begin to crack (corrected grain leather will naturally crack given enough time; full grain leather will crease along the vamp where your foot bends but shouldn't crack but if the leather tightens unnaturally, it will eventually crack)
  • Corrected grain or full grain, soaking the shoes in water and soap will remove the natural oils in the leather and cause the leather to dry out and you will forever be using polishes or moisturizers to try and get them looking like they used to
Anyway you slice it, soaking your leather shoes in water will significantly shorten their lifespan.

If they are a quality full grain leather shoe from a company like Allen Edmonds or Alden (or some of the older J&M or Florsheim), I'd recommend sending them back to the manufacturer as I believe they all still offer full reconditioning services which will include "re-lasting" the shoes which means they put them back on to the correct form for the size and style of shoe and then will redo all the stitching which will tighten them back up a bit like they were when they were new.
They are J&M, so I will have to look to see if that is an option. Thanks!

DVD

Cyburbian
I just wear Converse now. It's nice and comfortable and I don't have to look like management at this place.

I somehow missed the previous discussions even though I glanced through the thread first...

I read this article about Lori Laughlin's daughter this morning, and it just made me angry. They spent $500,000 bribing officials to get their daughter admitted to a school that she doesn't even really seem to want to go to. So stupid. Also, they had no reason to even need to go to college - they're already incredibly successful and college isn't going to do anything to contribute to their ongoing success...
I can understand pushing to get into something like the USC acting school or UCLA film, but seriously if your kid is to dumb to get admission then they might have a few issues actually graduating, but I'm sure the right bribes can take car of that too. Damn college is expensive.

Veloise

Cyburbian

Okay, spray water on the uppers, allow to dry out a bit, then house-wear. The idea is to shrink the leather to better fit your foot.

It might be worth mentioning that feet will swell over the day, so if you put them on in the morning they'll be loose. Likely you take them off before evening.

kjel

Super Moderator
I wear comfortable clothes. Mostly Clarks or Vans sneakers if I have a site visit, sometimes dressier flat shoes-never heels.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
So the FBI named the sting Operation Varsity Blues. Seriously. Honestly how do you sign up to be the FBI Operation namer?
I remember a operation that the FBI did 10 plus years go regarding web bots, viruses, etc... called operation bot roast. I also remember one called Operation Plunder dome which was a government corruption case. I think the golden age of operation names has passed.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I wear dockers four days a week, jeans on the fifth. I wear County polos five days a week. My shoes are dress shoes four days a week with Merrills on the fifth day.

As for the cheating scandal, while it's understandable, it's also incredibly bone headed. In this day and age, it's going to get ratted out. Especially if there is a celebrity, sports star or politician involved.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I have leather boots with a short heel for meetings; otherwise I am wearing snowboots or my cool hipster North Face down slippers that my daughter gave me for Christmas (I wore out the ones I got from RJ a few years back)

I predict a threadsplit in our future lol

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
There exist two possible universes: In the first, I am a horrible person who wants to rip down all buildings without thought and replace them because I hate everything. In the other, I am the only f***ing person in this town who knows the difference between nostalgia and legitimate historic importance.

FWIW, everyone but me thinks we live in the first universe.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Why don't they just turn the auto-pilot off on the 737 Max and fly by the seat of their pants?
It's amazing to me that no one is waiting for the FAA to perform their report before grounding this plane as the FAA is the top dog in the international airline/aircraft community for investigations. I am a big Boeing fan and try to fly nothing else if possible so I am disheartened that this plane is having such difficulty. I hope it's a software problem that can be fixed. Their management team has always been top notch so this is very upsetting.

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
Because "Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly. Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT. " Or that is what I was told....
I hear you. All the switches, gauges, dials, digital readouts, and levers.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
My gf commented that I own a lot of shoes for a guy. Black, 2 browns (slips on, both clarks), a pair of Aldo black athletic sneakers, Nike all white cortez, and a pair of white / black striped all-stars. Really shoes should coordinate with what you wear. If I could get away with it, I would wear flip-flops (leather) to work during the summer. I mean i am by the beach so why not :shrug:

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
My gf commented that I own a lot of shoes for a guy. Black, 2 browns (slips on, both clarks), a pair of Aldo black athletic sneakers, Nike all white cortez, and a pair of white / black striped all-stars. Really shoes should coordinate wit
My 20 yo daughter just told me that when she buys online for herself, that if there is free gift wrap, she gets it and puts a happy message to herself so it's like a present to herself

zen-child

My daughter does something similar, except that instead of free gift-wrapping she just charges it to me and sends me a thank you note for shiz I didn't know I was buying. So I guess also it's not the same thing. They are nice thank you notes tho, so I guess there's that.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
From the county health department, a list of places nearby me where there may have been measles exposure over the past few days:

One Stop Kosher Market
Jerusalem Pizza
Congregation Yagdil Torah
Yeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit
Lincoln Liquor & Beer
Ahavas Olam Torah Center
Kollel Institute of Greater Detroit

One of these is not like the other!

DVD

Cyburbian
Meetings and counter all day. It'll be super productive and super sarcastic.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Tornado Warning

The man even had us go into the hallway.

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
From the county health department, a list of places nearby me where there may have been measles exposure over the past few days:

One Stop Kosher Market
Jerusalem Pizza
Congregation Yagdil Torah
Yeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit
Lincoln Liquor & Beer
Ahavas Olam Torah Center
Kollel Institute of Greater Detroit

One of these is not like the other!
Outside of the one out, I wonder why these places where exposed. I didn't think that religious group were antivaxxers.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Outside of the one out, I wonder why these places where exposed. I didn't think that religious group were antivaxxers.
It was a "travel-related" exposure with somebody who was visiting from Israel and who had stopped off in the NYC area first. Oak Park and Southfield, Michigan have small, but growing, Orthodox and Hasid populations and I know there are some anti-vaxxers among those groups.

The locations here where the exposures were are all very close to each other and were all clustered around a very tight timeframe over a couple of days. I imagine it was somebody who came out here to visit friends or family and was out running errands with them on those afternoons.

Slightly related...
The Jewish populations in Oak Park and Southfield seem to be growing thanks not only to the larger families that Orthodox Jews are more likely to have but also because young Jewish families are being priced out of their traditional neighborhoods in Brooklyn or even places like Kiryas Joel. There's also been a rise in Jewish immigrants bypassing those New York (and other East Coast communities) completely because of the cost and migrating here as their first stop from Russia or Israel.

Planit

Cyburbian
Happy Pi Day!

I thought about getting a piece of pie during lunch to celebrate. Ended up being too full so maybe this evening I can celebrate appropriately.

kjel

Super Moderator
It was a "travel-related" exposure with somebody who was visiting from Israel and who had stopped off in the NYC area first. Oak Park and Southfield, Michigan have small, but growing, Orthodox and Hasid populations and I know there are some anti-vaxxers among those groups.

The locations here where the exposures were are all very close to each other and were all clustered around a very tight timeframe over a couple of days. I imagine it was somebody who came out here to visit friends or family and was out running errands with them on those afternoons.

Slightly related...
The Jewish populations in Oak Park and Southfield seem to be growing thanks not only to the larger families that Orthodox Jews are more likely to have but also because young Jewish families are being priced out of their traditional neighborhoods in Brooklyn or even places like Kiryas Joel. There's also been a rise in Jewish immigrants bypassing those New York (and other East Coast communities) completely because of the cost and migrating here as their first stop from Russia or Israel.
Lakewood, New Jersey and surrounding areas have been a destination. Some of the highlights....

https://www.nj.com/news/2018/08/as_orthodox_jews_move_in_taxpayers_in_these_nj_tow.html
https://www.app.com/story/news/investigations/watchdog/2018/06/19/lakewood-nj-private-school-bus-cost-traffic/633341002/
https://www.app.com/story/news/health/2018/12/21/nj-measles-outbreak-30-cases-ocean-county-3-others-statewide/2387482002/
https://www.app.com/story/news/investigations/watchdog/2018/03/27/amnesty-program-results-lakewood-nj-welfare-fraud-arrests-recovery/948466001/

AG74683

Cyburbian
I didn't plan on coming to the office today but forgot some documents for the agenda packet. The CZO class is pretty good so far. I knew most of the technical process stuff but didn't know much about legal right of entry which I really needed to learn. I always just played it safe and never went beyond the street ROW for code enforcement stuff.

DVD

Cyburbian
So we do a lot of Spring Training out here and I just met with some property manager for the Giants. I asked him for Royals tickets. :roflmao: