• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yes, Tornado watch expired.
Hurray!

Tornado watches and even warnings are pretty common around here. I complained upthread that they set off the tornado sirens at 4 am here a couple days ago. I have to correct that. One of the criteria they use is 70 mph winds and I said they didn't get much above 50. I saw later that the NWS said the peak wind speed was almost 80 mph, plus they did see rotation about 5 miles east of me, so.... I guess I shouldn't have complained.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Rather than going out to my facebook family.. I am going to reach out to my cyburbia family. So the last few years I share a subscription with 3 other friends for an app that streams professional stick ball for all 30 "recognized teams". There may be "technical difficulties" for stick ball teams that are considered your television market, however if you follow your stick ball squad and you happen to be located outside of their technical difficulties area, then this might be up your alley. Since it it split 4 ways, your cost is only $30. PM if you want in.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have a confession... I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and I love it. Tonight we had 15 kids running and playing while the adults were all gathered together in conversation. It was the text green bible definition of community in a place that the green bible says should be avoided. We could see the kids, we knew that there would not be traffic because we were all home, and the shape created large public place for the kids to play.

(Right now there are a bunch of millennial planners asking WTF is the green bible...)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
(Right now there are a bunch of millennial planners asking WTF is the green bible...)
I am so old I have both of them -

Principles and Practices of Urban Planning, 4 edition 1968 - used in undergrad
The Pratices of Local Goverment Planning, 2nd edition, 1988 - used in grad

Planit

Cyburbian
I have a confession... I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and I love it. Tonight we had 15 kids running and playing while the adults were all gathered together in conversation. It was the text green bible definition of community in a place that the green bible says should be avoided. We could see the kids, we knew that there would not be traffic because we were all home, and the shape created large public place for the kids to play.

It can also be in a park rather than a large asphalt expanse.

...and yes I have both as well.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Does anyone use a DVD or VHS player anymore to watch movies in their house?

I have a DVD player in my truck, but that’s it.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I sometimes miss mosh pits and crushing into people like I did back in the late 80's. Life was more interesting then...now its hearing people whine and bitch about their neighbors.
In the mid-90's, I attended a Greenday concert. I lost a contact in the middle of the mosh pit. While tying my blue chuck taylors 2-3 songs later, I found a contact in the same general area. I rinsed it and placed it my eye. A day or so later, I am being treated for pink eye. The eye doctor went on a passionate rant about safe contact practices, bacteria, and infection. Mid rant, he refereed to greenday as pinkday. Based on his reaction when I laughed, it was unintentional.

DVD

Cyburbian
I had the 'Hood Harpies in yesterday. They had 5 different projects they were checking up on and one variance hearing they were absolutely sure would ruin the neighborhood. They check our online list of permits then do the research to go attack anyone building anything in their neighborhood. Did I mention it's a very wealthy neighborhood and they know all the attorneys we hire for hearing officers. Some people need a life.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

We use our DVD player quite a bit. My wife will get kids movies from the library for our daughters weekly.

When we moved into the house, about 10 years ago now, we never hooked up our VCR. After about 5 years of it just sitting in the closet unused I finally convinced my wife we should dispose of it.

Her dad still use their VCR to record baseball and basketball games so he can watch them later... even though they have DVR.

AG74683

Cyburbian

I use the PS4 as a blu-ray player. I only buy blu-ray now when I want actual physical copies. I haven't had a VHS in years.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Oh I couldn't, this being a family show and all...
Okay then speak in 'code'
What the ffff

Okay, that caused permanent brain damage. That's some place in Montana, right. Right?

Joking aside, I enjoyed the recent CBS Sunday Morning story they ran about that place. Made me want to visit there.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Before even clicking through I thought, "Is he talking about that weird French island off of Newfoundland?"

I've long dreamt of telling my wife I was taking her to France and then we show up there instead but it's probably actually cheaper to fly to Paris than it is to get to St. Pierre.

Reactions: Dan

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I've long dreamt of telling my wife I was taking her to France and then we show up there instead but it's probably actually cheaper to fly to Paris than it is to get to St. Pierre.
It IS quicker and cheaper! Watch that link I provided to the CBS story. This guy from NJ explains how difficult it is to travel there. No such thing as a direct flight.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Hurray!

Tornado watches and even warnings are pretty common around here. I complained upthread that they set off the tornado sirens at 4 am here a couple days ago. I have to correct that. One of the criteria they use is 70 mph winds and I said they didn't get much above 50. I saw later that the NWS said the peak wind speed was almost 80 mph, plus they did see rotation about 5 miles east of me, so.... I guess I shouldn't have complained.
Don't know if you saw it, but one of our local talking heads suggested getting their station's weather app and using it to verify tornado siren validity before taking cover. Smart.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It's also often cheaper to go on a week-long Caribbean cruise, with a balcony cabin, including transportation to and from the port, than to drive or take a bus to New York City for a long weekend.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I have always wanted to go up to St John's! I worked with their tourism/cruise staff and wow, what a great and fun bunch of folks they were! And the accent was fascinating, not really french, not Scottish, not french-Canadian, not maritime - kind of a lovely blend of all them! It's on my list of places to go on vacation.

Jen

Cyburbian
Now that the snow as melted I can see there are some big honking pine tree branches littering our yard from the ice storm last week, it' a miracle none landed on the roof. A few are as long as a school bus as thick as my thighs One branch was driven at least a foot into the frozen ground and is sticking up like a fence post. It must've fallen a 100 ft down from the tops. i shudder to think of how close it came to crashing through the roof and pinning me in my bed. Never lost power either so freaking lucky.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
It's quiet at the counter...too quiet...
I breifly comptiplated starting a go fund me page to hire an actor to play the role of a developer that wanted to build some out landish land use to come visit you at the counter. The best use I could come up with was a private geriatric prison. I toyed with idea of a retirement comunity for retired circus people. Ultimately, I decided not to go throught with it. So if someone comes in with either of those ideas, I had nothing to do with it.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm already working on a geriatric psychiatric hospital.

We were thinking of getting someone to dress as a gorilla or clown and stand around the corner waiting for people to show up.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

I've got a VHS/DVD player as a holder from my first attempt at a family. I don't use it. My Mac has a dvd player built in. I don't use it. My replacement Mac won't have one. When I watch movies, I either download them from iTunes for either my Mac or iPad. That or I watch it on netflix. The gf's kid watches stuff either on her iPad or on her mom's phone.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We are talking about buying a robot vacuum, and I was wondering if anyone had one and if they like it. What models / brands do you have and are they worth the value?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I breifly comptiplated starting a go fund me page to hire an actor to play the role of a developer that wanted to build some out landish land use to come visit you at the counter. The best use I could come up with was a private geriatric prison. I toyed with idea of a retirement comunity for retired circus people. Ultimately, I decided not to go throught with it. So if someone comes in with either of those ideas, I had nothing to do with it.
POTD!:roflmao:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Don't know if you saw it, but one of our local talking heads suggested getting their station's weather app and using it to verify tornado siren validity before taking cover. Smart.
When the sirens go off at 4 am, I'm more worried about taking cover before I go to someone's app.

Y tho?

We are talking about buying a robot vacuum, and I was wondering if anyone had one and if they like it. What models / brands do you have and are they worth the value?
We have Roomba. It's okay. It's great for getting under things, not so much at getting into corners. We ended up buying an upright as well. We have mostly hardwood floors and it takes forever to sweep but just a few minutes with the upright, and like I said, the Roomba is good for under the bed, the sofa, etc.

But you can't give Big Owl any props for it, because in his own words, he "had nothing to do with it."

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Because it's ahhhhhhhhht.

Ever see architectural drawings of empty oversized plazas where people are milling about, apparently there just to contemplate the architectural greatness of its vast, inhuman scale? Yeah, that.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I made corned beef and cabbage yesterday. It turned out fantastic!

My oldest daughter loves it so we make it a few times a year ad we used to have it probably once a month or so when I was a kid. My wife never had it growing up. The first time she had it wasn't until after we were married and my parents invited us to their church corned beef dinner around St. Patrick's Day.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
My oldest daughter loves it so we make it a few times a year ad we used to have it probably once a month or so when I was a kid. My wife never had it growing up. The first time she had it wasn't until after we were married and my parents invited us to their church corned beef dinner around St. Patrick's Day.
If I was living in Buffalo, or another larger city, I'd probably be out celebrating St. Patrick's Day. In moderation. Here, though, nobody really seemed to make a big deal out of it. I wonder if ethnic festivals are less common in cities where more residents are transplants? Aside from new Americans, I don't think a third or fourth generation Irish-American would seek out an Irish neighborhood if they're moving from Boston or Buffalo to Seattle or Phoenix.

Also:

Planit

Cyburbian
Drank a couple Guinness with dinner last night. It was good and I need to keep in the beer fridge rotation more frequently.

It paired well with the simple Irish Stew Mrs. P made.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
If I was living in Buffalo, or another larger city, I'd probably be out celebrating St. Patrick's Day. In moderation. Here, though, nobody really seemed to make a big deal out of it. I wonder if ethnic festivals are less common in cities where more residents are transplants? Aside from new Americans, I don't think a third or fourth generation Irish-American would seek out an Irish neighborhood if they're moving from Boston or Buffalo to Seattle or Phoenix.
FWIW, though I am German through and through, I have a very Irish name (thanks to some relatives that were thrown out of County Cavan hundreds of years ago when they sided with William of Orange and the Church of England). I've never had a desire to go out and actually "celebrate" St. Patrick's Day and even though my parents grew up in the very Irish city of East Detroit it was never a big thing in our house or among relatives. I think the over indulgence on St. Patrick's Day is a relatively recent phenomenon and its growth in popularity probably corresponds to the rise of those pre-fabbed Irish restaurants over the past couple of decades that are now in so many cities, Irish heritage or not.

East Detroit, now known as Eastpointe, used to be known as Kelly Township and there are still little shamrocks on the corners of all the road signs. When my parents were growing up in the area in the '40s and '50s, there were 4 huge Catholic churches in the city (I think there are still 2 pretty big ones there) and one Lutheran church and one Episcopal church

AG74683

Cyburbian
I made corned beef and cabbage yesterday. It turned out fantastic!

My mom made this over the weekend while she was in town. It was good, one of my favorite things!

Drank a couple Guinness with dinner last night. It was good and I need to keep in the beer fridge rotation more frequently.

It paired well with the simple Irish Stew Mrs. P made.
I bought two 6 packs the other night. I agree, I need to keep it around more often.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
We done messed up with Itty Bitty. Her life so far has been in a walkable neighborhood. We're now looking to move to a different school district but the neighborhoods are less walkable. Itty Bitty is upset because she wants to be able to walk to her elementary school. We should have raised her that car is king and life is better in the drop-off lane at school.

Planit

Cyburbian
We done messed up with Itty Bitty. Her life so far has been in a walkable neighborhood. We're now looking to move to a different school district but the neighborhoods are less walkable. Itty Bitty is upset because she wants to be able to walk to her elementary school. We should have raised her that car is king and life is better in the drop-off lane at school.

You've scarred her for life. Parenting - UGH!

Just put her on the bus and wave as it drives away...o_O