• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Big Owl

Cyburbian
The new age/crystal/incense/mystical bookstore down the street had a sign advertising "paml reading" this afternoon. I wonder what Pam L. will be reading?
Was it a change-able letter sign?

I once had a palm reader apply for a rezoning. She asked me what her chances were. I so wanted to tell her that I should be asking you.

DVD

Cyburbian
So the new house has an induction stove. My wife has just figured out that the high quality copper bottom cookware I bought her when we got married will not work on it. It must be metal to work. See...this is why we can't have nice things. ;) Guess somebody is going to get a nice set of cookware soon. In the meantime we'll have to get some cheap stuff to work with and I'm thinking there is a set of copper cookware that needs to go up for sale.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The walls in this hotel are paper thin. I can hear literally everything happening in any room around me.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
So the new house has an induction stove. My wife has just figured out that the high quality copper bottom cookware I bought her when we got married will not work on it. It must be metal to work. See...this is why we can't have nice things. ;) Guess somebody is going to get a nice set of cookware soon. In the meantime we'll have to get some cheap stuff to work with and I'm thinking there is a set of copper cookware that needs to go up for sale.
Are they solid copper or copper clad? Test them with a magnet to see. I had a friend that had similar concerns and it turns out her pots were stainless steel with copper cladding and they worked. I do know they got a steel disc conductor converter (i don't know the real name) to use an aluminum canner. It's basically a steel disc with a handle. I don't know how efficient it is but they didn't want to replace the canner that they just got and will likely only use a couple of times a year.

It was a chalkboard sign. :ha:
I guess it was one without spellcheck. Kinda like this sign on poster board that I spotted a few years ago.

Last edited:

kms

Cyburbian
I get upset everytime I reverse look up a phone number to find I have to pay for the answer...
So do I. One of my phones had an app that would look up numbers, but it vanished. I can usually find a number if I want to take the time to click through a few pages.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Sure wish I knew where I could pick up some rouses. But they'd have to be fresh rouses.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Sure wish I knew where I could pick up some rouses. But they'd have to be fresh rouses.
So hard to find fresh rouses this time of year. Every time you think you're getting some good rouses it starts snowing again, and really puts a damper on things. Now, if you're looking for fresh ruses, I'm currently tending to a nice batch that are just starting to bud...the IRS won't know what hit 'em.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
So hard to find fresh rouses this time of year. Every time you think you're getting some good rouses it starts snowing again, and really puts a damper on things. Now, if you're looking for fresh ruses, I'm currently tending to a nice batch that are just starting to bud...the IRS won't know what hit 'em.
Rouses? Frankly, I don't think they exist.

/anybody wanna peanut?

DVD

Cyburbian
Damn, the copper pans are not magnetic. Anyone want to buy a slightly used set of pans?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
A legend passes: Dick Cole, last of the Doolittle Raiders, dies at 103
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/04/09/a-legend-passes-dick-cole-last-of-the-doolittle-raiders-dies-at-103/?fbclid=IwAR2O07xRfgJ1HXn3bSHDBo8KiTIN88MMJgvti9vywyVv7GUE28iTIZyZTK8

Cole, who was then-Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle’s co-pilot in the No. 1 bomber during the daring 1942 raid to strike Japan, was 103.

When Cole retired, his list of decorations included the DFC with two oak leaf clusters, the Bronze Star, and the Air Force Commendation Medal.
In 2014, President Obama presented Cole and three other Raiders the Congressional Gold Medal at the White House.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You know you live in a hippie town when you see someone walking their pet goat.

Hink

OH....IO
I feel like getting sick as you are older sucks more. My kid and I were home yesterday from sickness and he handled it so much better than me. He was watching TV and generally just fine (but sick). I was moaning and thought the world was going to end.

My wife says it is because I am a wimp and dramatic (which is likely true), but I say it is because my kid doesn't know any better. I am glad to feel better today.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm back at the office after a week and a half of sunshine and 85º days in South Florida. Parts of Michigan are expecting 10" of snow tomorrow and we might get a couple here in Detroit. :mad: My offer to move to Florida permanently still stands if only I could convince my wife.

On the topic of snakes - I was out on a trail run through a park down there one morning and came around a corner to see something long, greenish black, shiny, and slithery wiggling in the sun on a little boardwalk bridge. I run this trail all the time when I am down there would see tortoises or armadillos on this route all the time and once in a while I would see an alligator off to the side in the nearby creek or maybe a rat snake slither quickly across the trail but I froze in my tracks because from where I stood it looked like maybe a small alligator and where there is a small 'gator there's probably a bigger one watching over it. Or maybe it was a couple of snakes coiled together for warmth or fighting. Neither of those options sounded good to me, and I was about to back away and turn around to backtrack my route (and warn the guy I just passed with his little dog who were both approaching) when the shiny greenish black thing "uncoiled" itself and it turned out to be a mother and 2 baby otters.

The best pictures I could get before they looked at me and gave me the stink eye for interrupting their fun and scurried off back into the creek:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Holy crap! The French Quarter of New Orleans is a fascinating place. I've seen pictures of it before but had no idea that part of town was so large. This looks like no place else on earth.

How have I never google cruised this place before? Guess I'm going to have to visit in person someday.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Holy crap! The French Quarter of New Orleans is a fascinating place. I've seen pictures of it before but had no idea that part of town was so large. This looks like no place else on earth.

How have I never google cruised this place before? Guess I'm going to have to visit in person someday.
Thanks, I am now craving a muffaletta.

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
We had a prowler last night or early this morning. Someone broke into boxes of construction supplies in our driveway. Doesn't look like anything was taken. Security cameras did not record anything. Low lifes.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
We had a prowler last night or early this morning. Someone broke into boxes of construction supplies in our driveway. Doesn't look like anything was taken. Security cameras did not record anything. Low lifes.
How many Cyburbians have security cameras at their houses?

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I have a couple of Blink XT's at the house. They use AA lithium batteries and connected to my home wifi. It's good for keeping up with deliveries or seeing who is at the front door. I get notifications when they capture something.

Hink

OH....IO
I have 5. Honestly, I don't know that they are necessary, but I do like to know that I could provide something to the Police if I needed to.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Baby otters? Dandy just went squeee.
Maybe I can offset that "squeee". We went on a pontoon boat ride through the Estero River out to Lover's Key and we stopped in the Estero Bay for a few minutes to watch a small pod of dolphins play in the water. Once we got closer we realized that they weren't playing but brutally battering a baby shark out of the water with their noses and then basically cut him in half and ate him. From that point on, everytime we were in the pool, my daughter and I would start singing Baby Shark but changing "baby" in the lyrics to "breakfast".

It was really an interesting sight, unfortunately, we weren't able to get pictures that really show anything worth while.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Recruitment happens at the survivalist militia meetings.
:pWhose side are you on? I thought you were a :mi: er. You're either with us or against us....in the service of good or evil....bound for heaven or the other place....

(besides, you grew up closer to the thumb area than I did! Militia indeed!)

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Excuse me, I just squeed myself. 😉

Every spring we visit the local baby goats. They are so cute! I threaten to sneak one or two away under my coat but worry that their mamas would miss them so at the farm they stay.

Reactions: Dan

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian

Laefest! New Orleans is a must visit! I haven't been since 2015 and I'm starting to get the shakes.

Hubby and I have wedding pictures from right where you posted that link (the Cabildo).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I guess I always assumed the French Quarter was a high density tourist attraction consisting of little more than maybe three or four blocks of that signature architecture (what's the name for it...you know second story balconies with wrought iron railings, etc. I don't think it's Second Empire).

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I guess I always assumed the French Quarter was a high density tourist attraction consisting of little more than maybe three or four blocks of that signature architecture (what's the name for it...you know second story balconies with wrought iron railings, etc.).
Check out Faubourg Marigny.