• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

AG74683

Cyburbian
Is this a good example from my fair county Sheriff booking page -

TEQUILA KAY

Does your fair community's Sheriff post both booking and jail inmate photos & names ?
We have to use Mobile Patrol here. It has the booking photos and names usually. Sometimes the pictures don't make it on there though.

DVD

Cyburbian
Is this a good example from my fair county Sheriff booking page -

TEQUILA KAY

Does your fair community's Sheriff post both booking and jail inmate photos & names ?
We've got about 500 people booked so far this morning. The only stripper name would be Destiny who was charged with criminal trespass and burglary.

I can't wait to see someone up on burglarsonarceny.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I just looked to see if I can could find any good names in our online booking system for the county pokey but the best I could find was:

:D

AG74683

Cyburbian
There is a new pet store in town called "The Twilight Bark". For weeks I've been trying to figure out what play on words this was. It finally dawned on me, it's from 101 Dalmatians. It was the dog gossip line.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
omgerd my laptop died and is at the computer doc/geek and I have a ton to do this week (of course, I finally have work and this happens) so I am in a library using the public computers - they only give me a half hour, wtf so I am checking in here first - I feel like people are looking at me like I am some kind of criminal or spy as I am dressed up (interview this morning) and working on a public computer with a guest pass as this isn't my library (in another town)

untraceable too - what should I do with this freedom?!!!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
When we were at Busch Gardens a couple weeks ago, my daughter and I were getting on to a ride as a friend from her school (and her mom) who live right around the corner from us were getting out of the same seats we were climbing into. It was nice that they saw each other down there as it gave them a chance to go on a few rides and have a snack together. I just like that we were 1,200 miles from home and randomly ran into a neighbor!

Saturday evening my daughter was getting picked up by another friend to go ice skating and when the mom and friend were standing in the driveway chatting with my wife before driving away, our neighbor from across the street came over to say hello because he was outside with his daughter and recognized the mom - she and him are doctors at the same medical practice!

I always enjoy these little instances that show what a small world it is that we live in!

DVD

Cyburbian
omgerd my laptop died and is at the computer doc/geek and I have a ton to do this week (of course, I finally have work and this happens) so I am in a library using the public computers - they only give me a half hour, wtf so I am checking in here first - I feel like people are looking at me like I am some kind of criminal or spy as I am dressed up (interview this morning) and working on a public computer with a guest pass as this isn't my library (in another town)

Start cyber stalking old boyfriends!

Maister

Chairman of the bored

Ah yes, spy attire. We all know it when we see it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Oh, and because it's Wednesday morning, it's time to learn once again about our rightful place in the universe.

This is a cool video by the way and worth watching in its entirety.

Last edited:

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I find this hip-hop quote so appropriate in the planning realm

"You just mad because I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be"

Bubba

Cyburbian
The pollen count in the ATL is finally trending downwards - we may get another big burst of pine pollen in the next few days, but hopefully next weekend I'll be able to clean out the porches and start using them again. The cats (who love the screened porches - it's the closest they get to being outside) are starting to ask to speak to the manager...

Reactions: Dan

AG74683

Cyburbian
Buffalo live in Asia and Africa. Bison live in North and South America and Europe. So the song "Home on the Range" is wrong because buffalo have never lived in the American west.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
This morning as I was putting on my shoes to go for a run I thought, "It is probably time to get new running shoes but iIm not sure I should."

Fast forward to me driving home from said run when I bumped a bird with my windshield. After it bounced over my roof and landed with a thud in the road, I stopped and went back to help it. I scooped up the poor little Tufted Titmouse who wasn't quite dead yet and moved him from the middle of the road. I decided to put him in the thicket by the roadside. As I maneuvered to the thicket I felt a SQUISH and looked down as my shoe and foot were submerged in mud. Guess I need to get a new pair of shoes.

And that, kids, is how a Tufted Titmouse got me a new pair of running shoes.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Fine. Since terraplnr isn't posting this it looks like it falls to me to do so.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I should verify this before spreading rumors, but my 5th grader told me that the reason sharks don't like to eat people is because they don't like the iron in our blood. They take one bite and spit us out. They like the copper in seal blood instead. It seems potentially true but also a little fishy and likely something the kids were told so they'd feel safe snorkeling. ;)

Fine. Since terraplnr isn't posting this it looks like it falls to me to do so.

Their mamas heeded Waylon and Willie's words. . .

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Buffalo live in Asia and Africa. Bison live in North and South America and Europe. So the song "Home on the Range" is wrong because buffalo have never lived in the American west.
I've been thinking for some time that we really do need a 'Neverending Pedantic Thread'

Planit

Cyburbian
I should verify this before spreading rumors, but my 5th grader told me that the reason sharks don't like to eat people is because they don't like the iron in our blood. They take one bite and spit us out. They like the copper in seal blood instead. It seems potentially true but also a little fishy and likely something the kids were told so they'd feel safe snorkeling. ;)

Do you know why sharks don't eat clowns?
:thinking:
They taste funny...
:woozy:

(that one's for you dvd)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
So a guy is stuck in a traffic jam and he sees a bunch of animals running around and police chasing after them. As he's passing a cop he asks what's going on. The cop says there was a big train derailment and a car carrying animals got sprung open. The guy asks if there's anything he can do to help. The cop says it would be helpful if he could take a group of penguins to the city zoo for him. The guy says no problem and loads the penguins into the back seat of his car. A week later the cop happens to see this same guy driving around with penguins still in the back seat. The cop pulls him over and says "I told you to take those penguins to the zoo last week!" the guy responds "I did. Now we're going to a ball game."

Maister

Chairman of the bored
What kind of shark is always gambling? A card shark!
Did you hear about the aquarium owner? His shark was worse than his pike.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Please turn in your Dad Joke card.

There is a new pet store in town called "The Twilight Bark". For weeks I've been trying to figure out what play on words this was. It finally dawned on me, it's from 101 Dalmatians. It was the dog gossip line.
I recognized that instantly. Then again, I didn't just watch the movie, I read the book when I was a kid. Probably a bit better retention that way.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
What do you call a cold dog sitting on a bunny? A chili dog on a bun.

How can you tell the ocean is friendly? It waves!

How do undertakers speak? Gravely.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I love my Stihl weed eater but sometimes I struggle to get it started. It likes to flood a lot. I thought maybe it was just me, but we have trouble with the backpack leaf blower on one of the fire trucks too. We tried to start it last night after a wreck to clean up, but the thing wouldn't start. It didn't start Saturday morning either. We started it right after in the garage though. I think it's just user error. I'm going by in a few minutes to figure it out.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I was on my high school's It's Academic team, and we made it to the finals. I used to think that I could do well on Jeopardy. Not anymore, thanks to James Holzhauer.

Hink

OH....IO
I love sitting on my porch during thunderstorms. As long as I keep power, I just love thunderstorms.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I love my Stihl weed eater but sometimes I struggle to get it started. It likes to flood a lot. I thought maybe it was just me, but we have trouble with the backpack leaf blower on one of the fire trucks too. We tried to start it last night after a wreck to clean up, but the thing wouldn't start. It didn't start Saturday morning either. We started it right after in the garage though. I think it's just user error. I'm going by in a few minutes to figure it out.
Turns out the carburetor needs a rebuild. Stihls are like the Apple of yard appliances. They look fantastic and work well, but they are entirely based on design rather than function. Getting to the carb took us like 20 minutes to get everything off.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I love sitting on my porch during thunderstorms. As long as I keep power, I just love thunderstorms.
My unaided eyesight isn't very good. An unexpected to perk is the ability to experience a thunderstorm with the rest of my senses, except taste. I used to love sitting in a screened in porch and take off my glasses. My other senses would sharpen. The other sense would pick up the feel, the smell and sound of the storm. It's like being in the center of the storm and not getting harmed. It is truly a great experience that normally sighted people miss.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Turns out the carburetor needs a rebuild. Stihls are like the Apple of yard appliances. They look fantastic and work well, but they are entirely based on design rather than function. Getting to the carb took us like 20 minutes to get everything off.
I used to have that problem with my echo chainsaw. At the advise of one of our garage mechanics, I switched to the engineered gas mix and I run it till I run out of gas when I know I am not going to use it again for a while. I haven't had any issues with the carburetor in years. Before that I was taking the carburetor apart to clean it every other time I used it; granted I would only use it 3 or 4 times a year.

Slightly related, I recently discovered that certain vinyl cutters like cricut and silhouette can be used to cut gasket material. Getting gaskets for some older motors both small engine and vehicles is hard to do. My wife & daughter has talked about getting one in the past but they were on the fence. I may just have to surprise them with one.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I used to have that problem with my echo chainsaw. At the advise of one of our garage mechanics, I switched to the engineered gas mix and I run it till I run out of gas when I know I am not going to use it again for a while. I haven't had any issues with the carburetor in years. Before that I was taking the carburetor apart to clean it every other time I used it; granted I would only use it 3 or 4 times a year.
We use the pre-mix gas. Just easier to haul around that way. Problem is a lot of these items sit for extended periods of time without use, and they need to be ready to go at any time so they usually sit with fuel in them. We started up 3 of our generators and a fan last night and let them run for a half hour or so just to make sure they all work. That's a real downside to a volunteer department. Not a lot of folks have spare time to run this equipment and keep it up, so it doesn't work when you need it to.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
i was stoked to see Kumquats at Sprouts the other day i bought some. Disappointed that they were so freakin sour.:cry:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
When we were in Florida a couple of weeks ago, my in-law's neighbors had houseguests from Nunavut!

I think I get extra points in the license plate game for this one:

i was stoked to see Kumquats at Sprouts the other day i bought some. Disappointed that they were so freakin sour.:cry:
When I was little, my grandma's neighbor had a kumquat tree. My sister and I always knew that was a funny name for a fruit but we didn't know why it was funny. Anyway... one day we decided to try some kumquats. They were awful. They are quite pretty on the tree though.

DVD

Cyburbian
I just approved a "Suchi" restaurant. It has a salsa bar. Not sure if I should try it or avoid it. At least it has a kids area.

Planit

Cyburbian
We had a kumquat tree in our yard when I was growing up. The best use of the kumquats were to throw them and try to hit each other. Fun times!