Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm working on a massive ice vending machine now. How do we handle it? Badly.
I haven't seen them in upstate New York yet (thank God), but here's what I wrote in a draft UDC that we're probably years away from considering. It's in the accessory use / single purpose structure use category.

270-606.2.13 Vending machine: outdoor
Outdoor machine that dispenses a product or cash, or does a service, after payment. (Examples: beverage/water/snack vending machine, reverse vending machine, video or game kiosk, automatic teller machine (ATM), ice storage bin.) This does not include newspaper boxes or pay phones.

A Conditions

Number: ≤[1] vending machine per [X].

Siting: An outdoor vending machine may be:
• Outside a sidewalk, path, driveway or drive aisle, parking space, fire lane, loading zone, landscape area, or public rights-of-way;
• Outside a building setback area in the underlying zone, or an area between a principal building and a street; and
• ≥5’ from a building entrance or window.

Size: depth: ≤3’, width: ≤5’, height: ≤6.5’.

Use:
• Sound/display: A vending machine
- May display animation only when a customer uses it;
- ⊘ Must not have sound alerts, or play music or advertising; and
- ⊘ Must not display offsite advertising visible from the public right-of-way.
• ⊘ A vending machine must not be a principal or standalone use.

(Permitted zones: in use table}

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
For the record, I have never once heard anyone from the City of New Orleans pronounce the city's name as "N'awlins".

Carry on.

DVD

Cyburbian
A first for me, I was given laminated full sized colored elevations as part of the submittal. I want the elevations, but why the lamination? Are they afraid I might spill me drink on the plans?

Hink

OH....IO
Indeed. Why else would this be topical?
I mean it is the Random thoughts thread.... I thought you might just be thinking about it.

Kinda like I was wondering why we don't use more rocks in our landscaping. I want hardscape.

AG74683

Cyburbian
A first for me, I was given laminated full sized colored elevations as part of the submittal. I want the elevations, but why the lamination? Are they afraid I might spill me drink on the plans?
I require elevations on all our permits because for some stupid reason our ordinance measures setbacks from eaves, overhangs, gutters, etc. I need to match that up with the site plan to see where the plan measured from.

Anyway, one time I received actual height elevations of each corner of the house. It was like a birds eye view too. It made zero sense and I was astonished that an actual licensed contractor wouldn't understand what I needed.

DVD

Cyburbian
I mean it is the Random thoughts thread.... I thought you might just be thinking about it.

Kinda like I was wondering why we don't use more rocks in our landscaping. I want hardscape.
Just about all the yards out here use rock as the base. Why would anyone want grass?

I think I just screwed a guy at the counter. I was helping out, called the number, but the machine referred it to another counter. So he left to go to another counter. I put him back in the line up, but at the same time I found out it wasn't my turn to help so I left right when this guy was coming back. I guess he'll be waiting a while.

AG74683

Cyburbian
My Planning Board is in complete disarray right now. I have one member who just never shows up anymore, the Chairman resigned because the Commissioner who appointed him did not run again, another ran for Commissioner and lost, and yet another has applied to fill in for the chairman of the BOCC who passed away last month. So all told, I have three members that show up, one of whom will almost certainly be a commissioner on February 19th.

Icing on the cake, the newest appointment to the board will probably be a lady who sued us over some conditional use permits. She was absolutely right to do so and really helped me convince everyone how important it was to things the right way and not the convenient way.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The hotties in the Jerusalem/Tel Aviv tourism commercials seem like they're just using you to buy them meals and drinks. At that rooftop party, they'll either bail on you, or introduce you to their boyfriends Lavie and Yosef.

I have not been here in a while. Remodel looks good.

Also, this Winter is savage. I love Iowa in many ways. Its my home for the better part of my life, but as I get older these winters just kill me. I want to keep a house here and then get an old RV and take it South Dec-Feb.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Ever notice that that some car models come in only one color, or at least it seems that way?

* Pontiac Sunfire - yellow.
* Subaru WRX - blue.
* 1990s/2000s Buick Regal - beige/brown/gold.
* That Ram pickup tailgating behind you - black.

el Guapo

Professor Emeritus of Cyburbian Studies
Saw this yesterday, and thought of our friend El Guapo.

View attachment 5925
Dutch or not, I fully support a woman's decision to join Ithaca's tribe of "Ruggers." In fact, I have a dear friend in Ithaca who practices 'ruggery' with her wife. And that's nobody's business but theirs. Harrumph.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Dutch or not, I fully support a woman's decision to join Ithaca's tribe of "Ruggers." In fact, I have a dear friend in Ithaca who practices 'ruggery' with her wife. And that's nobody's business but theirs. Harrumph.
I agree! Should we let all the glory go to Dutch women's rugby, though? There's equally deserving sports, though. Like camogie.

Or women's Aussie rules.

The hotties in the Jerusalem/Tel Aviv tourism commercials seem like they're just using you to buy them meals and drinks. At that rooftop party, they'll either bail on you, or introduce you to their boyfriends Lavie and Yosef.
I spent a few days on liberty in Haifa in 2000 and every time that commercial comes on I think back to how boring it was and how I must not have known the cool, hip spots to visit. We needed the folks from that tour company to show us around!