Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

My wife was looking for something in my garage and found my stash....

My stash of about 150 full size candy bars. She brought them into the house, ate a couple and then complained that I have too much candy around and I'm making her gain weight. I told her I would hide them again to keep them away from her so I brought them to the office. How long until she texts me and asks, "Where did you put the candy bars?"

My stash of about 150 full size candy bars. She brought them into the house, ate a couple and then complained that I have too much candy around and I'm making her gain weight. I told her I would hide them again to keep them away from her so I brought them to the office. How long until she texts me and asks, "Where did you put the candy bars?"
Why do you have a stash of 150 candy bars???

The hotties in the Jerusalem/Tel Aviv tourism commercials seem like they're just using you to buy them meals and drinks. At that rooftop party, they'll either bail on you, or introduce you to their boyfriends Lavie and Yosef.
I always think you're being led to a mugging. Hot girls take me around for a good time then roll me for the little cash I've got.

I also wonder how many single and somewhat wealthy people are watching the same program I am. Because that's obviously who they're marketing to. ;)

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
I deleted the facebook app from my phone about a week ago. Decided it was a time suck for me. The only thing I really miss is that I had turned it into a pretty decent news aggregator for planning-related stories.

I installed some nifty new lights for the tattoo shop that rents a space from me. They signed a multi-year lease last year and have never been any trouble, so I decided I would hook them up with better lighting. Its a really young dude that runs it, and he isn't especially good at advocating for himself with me. He said that he had been wanting to do new lighting for about a year, and I was like "dude you have got to ask for that shit from me as your landlord--you've got to let me know when you have a need that I can help with." Plus, he gives me a beer every time I stop by to pick up rent. I'm a fan of that.

My brother is getting his position eliminated. He is COO of a small company I would classify as "government-adjacent" with a crazy Owner/CEO. He was brought on to build the business and increase profits, which he did, in order to position the company for future sale. CEO said my brother was "resistant" since my brother takes a conservative financial outlook and focuses on whether a business line is leading to profit or at least follow-on work. He was hardly resistant--he would work with the CEO's ideas to show how they could work profitably with a few minor tweaks. Turns out, little to my brother's knowledge, that the company had gone through several COOs, all of them ultimately departing for the same reason. He has six months of full pay and permission from the CEO to interview as needed, which is kind. He apparently held the position longer than anyone else. Still, my brother is turning 50 this month, and he is taking this hard. What he doesn't know is that my other brother and I are kidnapping him for his birthday and taking him to New York City.

We have a "Princess Ball" for the six-year-old this week that replaced the Father-Daughter dance their school used to have. CCG is taking the kiddo, and she could not be more excited. We narrowly avoided a full meltdown over a dress not fitting, though. I ordered it off of Amazon and she was in love with the dress. But it was about two sizes too small. I made an emergency shopping trip yesterday just hoping I could find something else she loved, and found two really good options at Ross and Target. She liked them enough that she didn't mind that I was going to send the other one back.

We have her until the end of the month. We had to move her older sister previously - she just needed more support and better supervision than my home could provide. Six-year-old will be joining her in a few weeks. We're really going to miss her, but we're also looking forward to having some time to spend alone and going on a delayed honeymoon.

We have a "Princess Ball" for the six-year-old this week that replaced the Father-Daughter dance their school used to have. CCG is taking the kiddo, and she could not be more excited. We narrowly avoided a full meltdown over a dress not fitting, though. I ordered it off of Amazon and she was in love with the dress. But it was about two sizes too small. I made an emergency shopping trip yesterday just hoping I could find something else she loved, and found two really good options at Ross and Target. She liked them enough that she didn't mind that I was going to send the other one back.

We have her until the end of the month. We had to move her older sister previously - she just needed more support and better supervision than my home could provide. Six-year-old will be joining her in a few weeks. We're really going to miss her, but we're also looking forward to having some time to spend alone and going on a delayed honeymoon.
Well done by you and the hubby. It will help heal her and give her some good memories.

Yet another day of the permit tech not being here. Starting to get pissed off now. Apparently that makes me responsible for the entire front office. I can't do my own work and everyone else's too. So I won't. I'll get my stuff done, the rest of it can be dealt with by the people who should be dealing with it.

Nice, and good for y'all. Where to?
I think a week in the Smoky Mountains. We like hiking and it's close enough that it won't be overly expensive. I'd like to do some more extensive traveling, of course, but I think we're going to wait until we're in better shape financially for a big trip.

So in like 20 years or something...

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Yet another day of the permit tech not being here. Starting to get pissed off now. Apparently that makes me responsible for the entire front office. I can't do my own work and everyone else's too. So I won't. I'll get my stuff done, the rest of it can be dealt with by the people who should be dealing with it.
Understandable, but doing that front line work sometimes sets you apart when it comes to higher paid positions.

------------------------
Going to see Lego Movie 2 today with the boys. The kids have "lincoln's birthday" off, as do I but I was "voluntold" to attend a meeting tonight for community visioning. Little girl has soccer practice, and my mom's last week is this week and get to drive to LAX is rainagedon at the end of the week. Good times.

Understandable, but doing that front line work sometimes sets you apart when it comes to higher paid positions.
I'm basically at the top of my pay scale here, so there's not much room to move up. I get taken advantage of when the tech is gone because nobody else knows how to do most aspects of her job (finding old permits, making deposits, etc.). It's not that people don't possess the skills to learn, it's that they don't want to so they don't need to do anymore work. She's going to be gone for 12 weeks with this new baby and I want to make it very clear that I will NOT be doing her job and that if we need to hire a fill in, we should.

I'm basically at the top of my pay scale here, so there's not much room to move up. I get taken advantage of when the tech is gone because nobody else knows how to do most aspects of her job (finding old permits, making deposits, etc.). It's not that people don't possess the skills to learn, it's that they don't want to so they don't need to do anymore work. She's going to be gone for 12 weeks with this new baby and I want to make it very clear that I will NOT be doing her job and that if we need to hire a fill in, we should.
I think what arc plans was referring to was a job someplace else. I think hiring a temp would be a good idea.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
It does sound like you need to hire a temp. And yea, referring to a new position. Sounds like you need a change of pace and work culture, plus maybe a larger woman pool? Just sayin ;)

It does sound like you need to hire a temp. And yea, referring to a new position. Sounds like you need a change of pace and work culture, plus maybe a larger woman pool? Just sayin ;)
Oh yeah definitely, that's why I'm going to spend the next little bit securing these extra certificates. Make myself more marketable on the County's dime, then dip out once I secure that extra stuff.