Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

I got to try on a Chinese lion head this weekend at a lion dance tryout and scare a couple of little kids. It was fun.

But I still hear "line" dance whenever someone says "lion" dance. boot scootin boogieeeeeeee....

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
When does Lent start? Are we going to lose LP during Lent once again?
March 6 through Easter which is in April. My guess is yes, as LP seems to always leave us for 40 days.
I likely will stay in Cyburbia as it's not really a vice - all other social media that is non work related, though, yes, need a break, including binge watching - going all Mennonite

It's a shame about Ray.
in the stone under the dust his name is still engraved

I met Juliana Hatfield once at a party in 1990 - they were a great band

workin on mysteries without any clues over here though...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
When does Lent start? Are we going to lose LP during Lent once again?
Time to remind everybody of the rules for a proper Buffalo-style fish fry.

* Haddock or cod. Never perch.
* Plus crisp french fries, coleslaw, a lemon wedge, and potato salad.
* If there's beer batter, it's based on Labatt Blue or Genesee Cream Ale.
* The more Catholic and blue collar the neighborhood, the better the fish fry.
* If it's on the East Side, or in Cheektowaga, Sloan, Depew, or Lancaster, it's going to be an even better fish fry.
* The more "authentic" and less polished the venue, the better the fish fry.
* If the place barely passes health inspection, it's going to get a lot of praise in every online discussion about who has the best fish fry.
* The older the clientele, the better the fish fry. This does not include Greek diners that normally attract large crowds of olds. A good indicator is a parking lot packed with American sedans, a few having vinyl landau roofs, and/or Florida license plates, at 4:30 PM.
* If it's in a restaurant, the fish fry will be better if the place has a two-part name, like "Stan's Town Line Grill" or "Frank and Joe's Old Mill Inn"; or it's called "Mister [letter]'s"
* Lots of bonus points if the place has an ad in the neighborhood weekly or over-65 freesheet, and prominently mentions "Your host - [some guy with a Italian or Polish name]".
* More bonus points if there's an item of Bills memorabilia from the Marv Levy years on the walls, like a jersey signed by Thurman Thomas or Andre Reed.
* Even more bonus points for wobbly generic tables and stacking banquet chairs.
* If it's in a church basement, fire hall, VFW or American Legion post, Knights of Columbus Hall, or Polish Falcons hall, it's going to be a good fish fry.
* It it's in a church with a depressing, scary, or long name, like "Our Lady of Eternal Sorrow", "St. Vlad's", or "Our Lady of the Precious Blood of the Hundred Martyred Saints", it's going to be an even better fish fry.
* If the meeting hall has the Stations of the Cross on the walls, you'll probably going to spend hours on Facebook giving props to the parish in every "where can I find the best fish fry" thread you can find.
* If the parish also has standard Buffalo-style bingo at least twice a week -- just boring, straight up round robin horizontal line/vertical line/diagonal line/four corners/postage stamp, inner square, outer square, coverall, no patterns like picnic table or crazy kite, repeat four or five times, then a red-white-and-blue special before intermission, and back to some more round robin games, with a round robin jackpot at the end -- with two or more flashboards, four or more ball monitors, and a Queen of Hearts drawing, the fish fry will be OUTSTANDING.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Not much to add to Dan's extensive fish fry bonus point list, except to note that bonus points may also be awarded to those KoC and VFW halls that have a tinny sounding solid state AM radio sitting on the fridge behind the bar playing some appropriate background music. (at least around these parts)

I suddenly want to make it my goal of finding a fish fry once a week here in Metro Detroit this summer. I'm sure plenty of thing's from Dan's list would hold true in Detroit or its eastern suburbs in Macomb and St. Clair counties... just swap out the Bills' gear from the Marv Levy years for Tigers' gear from the Sparky Anderson year. Oh, and perch would be totally acceptable in these parts - my parents church holds their annual chili cook-off and other events at a hunting/fishing and shooting range called "Perch Point"!

I haven't done Arizona fish fries much. Just not my scene. There's a great commercial place called Pete's Fish & Chips. We're talking grease soaked cod with great fries. I now want fish and chips.

Kansas always had a fish fry at the local Catholic church put on by the KoC. I'm sure it was good, but I never stopped. The VFW also had one. I was always shocked the Masons or Shriners never did one. I think the KoC cornered the market.

Not much to add to Dan's extensive fish fry bonus point list, except to note that bonus points may also be awarded to those KoC and VFW halls that have a tinny sounding solid state AM radio sitting on the fridge behind the bar playing some appropriate background music. (at least around these parts)
I had to check Arizona for my local polka station. There is none. Polka does not exist in Arizona.

Hink

OH....IO
I actively manage my email account. My wife does not. I really have a difficult time seeing the icon on her phone showing all her messages that she hasn't checked. Why?!?!