• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

DVD

Cyburbian
On the my project is cooler than yours front:

It's a Laundromat - stay with me.
It has food - stay with me.
It has an outdoor eating area - stay with me.
It serves alcohol!!!

Honey, I'm going to go take care of the laundry for you!

We are trying to think up some names for this place to present them to the developer. Spin Cycle needs something more like Drink and Spin.

We're also envisioning techno music/foam party going on.

Maister

Chairman of the bored

It serves alcohol!!!

We are trying to think up some names for this place to present them to the developer. Spin Cycle needs something more like Drink and Spin.

Years ago, my paternal progenitor was looking into a franchise called 'Duds n Suds', which featured that very combination of services. I wonder if cops hang out around those sorts of laundromats at closing time to snag DUI's?

Years ago, my paternal progenitor was looking into a franchise called 'Duds n Suds', which featured that very combination of services. I wonder if cops hang out around those sorts of laundromats at closing time to snag DUI's?
Step out of the car, sister. I think you've gone through one too many spin cycles. You're definitely not dry, though.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Well, at least their mothers would be happy that their children had on clean clothes/underpants when they were arrested.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Also, pet peeve - men that don't wear undershirts with their dress button down shirts. I'd feel really gross if I didn't and given the cheapness/thinness of many new dress shirts now, I really don't want to see through your white dress shirt. :(
It really depends on the shirt. Most dress shirts, i.e. those that are used for suits really require an undershirt. Other shirts, depending on the material may not need an undershirt.

arcplans

It serves alcohol!!!

IRL I am actually working on opening the door to on-site consumption lounges for mary jane. In a meeting with the CM/and the PD chief, the biggest obstacle was getting people to / from sites without driving since this is a suburb. My suggestion (lyft/uber aside) was an on-demand shuttle like car dealerships. The businesses can then sell "sponsorships" like its effin NASCAR. total win win.

Planit

Cyburbian
...and this afternoon's excitement came in the form of an individual leaving a diarrhea trail on the floor from the city hall lobby to the bathroom.

I had just returned from lunch and had 4 people tell me about it. Guys, I just got back from lunch!

Cleaning crew came in & HR said its an OSHA thing due to - well you know.

Cleanup on aisle 2!!!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How is this for the Shear Height of Outrageousness -

San Francisco parents rally around teacher with cancer who has to pay for her own substitute

The parents at Glen Park Elementary School were stunned to learn that the teacher's paycheck was being docked $195 for each day she is out ill with the disease.

But after a teacher uses the 10 sick days and is on the extended leave, the district bills them for the cost of a substitute, in keeping with a little-known provision of California's education code.

Planit

Cyburbian
So in the Europa League semi-finals, Arsenal beat Vallencia & Chelsea beat Frankfurt in penalty kicks. This means both the Champions League & Europa League finals will be all-English. That's a big deal. Also, 3 of the 4 teams are based in London.

Champions League Final: Liverpool v. Tottenham HotSpurs
Europa League Final: Chelsea v. Arsenal

Sorry, I forgot this is a non-soccer site here...

el Guapo

Capitalist
I occasionally experience a phenomenon – I’m not going to call this déjà vu, but it’s clearly connected to memory – where I’m instantly brought to a particular morning from early childhood where I was standing in my grandparents’ front yard looking around and noting that something seemed off with the whole world at that moment. I believe the feeling of strangeness, or what seemed ‘off’ with the world is, in fact, directly tied to a particular atmospheric condition. At such moments (remember it was morning) the cloud cover conditions make the sky appear dark due to heavy clouds being in the east and brighter in the west due to lighter cloud conditions in that direction. This has the effect of making it seem like it’s in the afternoon/evening at the wrong time of day. I’ve also noted the reverse sometimes occurs where light cloud cover in the east with heavy cover in the west can mimic morning light conditions during the afternoon.
It’s a fairly rare thing and instances of observing this might be a year or even several years apart. Has anyone else ever observed this, or know what I’m talking about?
I concur. Atmospheric conditions occasionally set off my memory bombs as well. Its a delightful glitch in our human software. The other trigger is certain smells. Enjoy it because life is short.

So many shaky claims.

The personal property taxes and fees generated by two earth killing SUV's combined with the property and sales taxes generated by two commercial parking spaces might very well exceed the tax benefits of a low income hovel.

The homeless are not homeless because there is a lack of micro apartments. (The homeless exist because of Republicans. I have been hearing that on NPR since I was a kid.) The homeless are not uniformly members of some noble tribe that, but for the lack of a micro hovel, would all be contributing members of society.

Low income housing is a false economy. It is so expensive to build that almost all of it has to be subsidized by some government program. The meme fails to mention that. If there was a way for a developer to make a profit building low income housing the market would fill that niche.

Additional, almost all low income housing creates an increased demand on other government services.

A new micro hovel does nothing to reduce someone else's vehicle ownership. It only serves to increase the number of stop light panhandlers.

The two SUVs will likely have lower emissions than the meth lab that will eventually be set up in the micro hovel. (Just kidding with this one)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
So many shaky claims.

The personal property taxes and fees generated by two earth killing SUV's combined with the property and sales taxes generated by two commercial parking spaces might very well exceed the tax benefits of a low income hovel.

The homeless are not homeless because there is a lack of micro apartments. (The homeless exist because of Republicans. I have been hearing that on NPR since I was a kid.) The homeless are not uniformly members of some noble tribe that, but for the lack of a micro hovel, would all be contributing members of society.

Low income housing is a false economy. It is so expensive to build that almost all of it has to be subsidized by some government program. The meme fails to mention that. If there was a way for a developer to make a profit building low income housing the market would fill that niche.

Additional, almost all low income housing creates an increased demand on other government services.

A new micro hovel does nothing to reduce someone else's vehicle ownership. It only serves to increase the number of stop light panhandlers.

The two SUVs will likely have lower emissions than the meth lab that will eventually be set up in the micro hovel. (Just kidding with this one)
“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

Really, eG?

el Guapo

Capitalist
“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

Really, eG?
Really. Which part offended you?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Unless you want to see a shirt drenched in sweat (regardless of the temperature that day), you'll appreciate that I never wear an undershirt.
I sweat like a stuck pig. Naturally, I live in a place that is humid most of the year. I wear wick-a-way polo shirts to combat this problem. I'll wear a t-shirt when I have to wear a dress up shirt. It's a trade off between having a white shirt that I'm visibly sweating through and additional layer of clothes that makes he even hotter and sweat more.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Unless you want to see a shirt drenched in sweat (regardless of the temperature that day), you'll appreciate that I never wear an undershirt.
But that's the point of an undershirt.

Do we then get to see the full monty with just your dress shirt to absorb the...moisture? :p

el Guapo

Capitalist
No offense.

Just your responses seem overly reactionary without indication of compassion or simple basic acknowledgement of fundamental human rights.

That's all.
Ok, I think I get it. Because you perceive a lack of compassion on my part that invalidates the merits of any "reactionary" argument I might offer. Or, was it just wrong of me to challenge the presumptions presented in the cartoon.

Does Cyburbia have room for someone who occasional posts a "reactionary" comment.

Jackie Treehorn draws a lot of water in this town, Lebowski.

DVD

Cyburbian
So took the kids to Peter Piper Pizza. For $40 I had pizza and bread sticks. The kids ate maybe a piece of each. They had fun with the games and came back with 1 giant toy spider. Actually pretty solid weight, not a cheap rubber thing. The other, a small bag of candy. Not much return on investment at those places other than the kids having fun.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I was "kidless" for the evening, which is rare for me and my wife. So we did what all god-fearing people do when they find themselves unexpectedly free for the evening: We robbed a gas station and vandalized some rich people's homes who've been on our list for a while. The evening cost me $3.25 in gas and spray paint. $250 in cash from the robbery less our "steak and two-sides" dinners at the sizzler, I'm ahead $210.00. If that math isn't making sense, I tipped well because I was feeling good. That's a return on investment, DVD. Plus side also, for those keeping score, most people in my valley were raised to believe God requires you to wear an undershirt, so we got that going for us....

el Guapo

Capitalist
El Guapo is a huge fan of the synthetic material undershirts. Except for the fact that they can't be bleached white like a cotton shirt.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I was "kidless" for the evening, which is rare for me and my wife. So we did what all god-fearing people do when they find themselves unexpectedly free for the evening: We robbed a gas station and vandalized some rich people's homes who've been on our list for a while. The evening cost me $3.25 in gas and spray paint. $250 in cash from the robbery less our "steak and two-sides" dinners at the sizzler, I'm ahead $210.00. If that math isn't making sense, I tipped well because I was feeling good. That's a return on investment, DVD. Plus side also, for those keeping score, most people in my valley were raised to believe God requires you to wear an undershirt, so we got that going for us....
that sounds lovely, you make a nice couple, so fun and exciting! :daydream:

gtpeach

Cyburbian
So that's how you fix the damned thing! The Mrs. is going to be impressed when she gets home tonight and the refrigerator door doesn't have to be lifted up to close it. I wonder how the feet or foot got unlevel over time?
Did it work???

Maister

Chairman of the bored
ursus, does The Almighty have a salient opinion on the whole synthetic vs natural fiber underwear debate/question?

ursus

ursus, does The Almighty have a salient opinion on the whole synthetic vs natural fiber underwear debate/question?
Not to my knowledge. I, however, like fabric that breathes. On the other hand, when you're wearing tight pants you like the synthetics to keep junk in it's place. It's a toss up, and I'm sure it is for the Almighty as well.

ursus

I'm roundly in whatever camp I'm in. Or at least chubb-ily...no that's not any better.

arcplans

So i have had wicked back pain the last few days. Went in for a massage at some random spa (no, there wasn't a happy ending, but it was run by Asians). The back massage felt fantastic and the dude worked out my upper back kinks that were self inflected due to my going back to the gym and get in shape because arcplans has gained same weight. Anywho, the next day, back felt great however now I have a constant ringing in one ear, the same side where I had my wicked back pain (left side). How the hell do i get rid of the ringing?

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
So in the Europa League semi-finals, Arsenal beat Vallencia & Chelsea beat Frankfurt in penalty kicks. This means both the Champions League & Europa League finals will be all-English. That's a big deal. Also, 3 of the 4 teams are based in London.

Champions League Final: Liverpool v. Tottenham HotSpurs
Europa League Final: Chelsea v. Arsenal

Sorry, I forgot this is a non-soccer site here...
Go Gunners! Though pretty sure they will choke.

shell_waster

Cyburbian
Did it work???
Why yes it did! Thanks for passing along the tip.

I got home later than I expected due to the planning commission meeting lasting an hour longer than it should because someone wanted to complain that his tenants will move out of his rental property because the property owner next door was applying for a special use permit so that she could legitimately operate an in-home day care for up to six children. His closing argument was, "If this is approved it will ruin the fabric of this neighborhood."
Remembering your tip I immediately changed out of my work clothes and into my lounge/work-around-the-house clothes. Keeping my undershirt on.
Laid on the kitchen floor and began to twist those little feet. It was only after a twist or two that I had to fetch a wrench from the garage to keep them turning. After a few more turns I amazed my family with a functioning refrigerator door. Sadly the amazement lasted merely seconds.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Ok, I think I get it. Because you perceive a lack of compassion on my part that invalidates the merits of any "reactionary" argument I might offer. Or, was it just wrong of me to challenge the presumptions presented in the cartoon.

Does Cyburbia have room for someone who occasional posts a "reactionary" comment.
Cyburbia does.

Hence my perplexed reaction to your reaction to a meme questioning the value of car storage versus homes for humans. Especially, in light of you recent 'likeing' of my posts specifically quoting Kurt Vonnegut and his book God bless you, Mr. Rosewater, as the central premise of this book is 'unqualified kindness'.

I did not perceive your reaction as consistent with your recent 'likes'.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Youtube videos are the best thing that's happened to home improvement.
Here, here!!
Dittos. I have/choose to wear dress clothes (dress shoes, pants button-down shirt, tie) everyday for work and like to keep them are tidy and long lasting as possible, so I change first thing when I get home and hang/put the work clothes away (hung in closet) too.

Also, pet peeve - men that don't wear undershirts with their dress button down shirts. I'd feel really gross if I didn't and given the cheapness/thinness of many new dress shirts now, I really don't want to see through your white dress shirt. :(
Coming from a female perspective, the undershirt looks cleaner, more pulled-together, and just more correct in general. Lack of an undershirt gives the appearance of more sloppy, casual, and very much less-pulled-together.

That being said, I live in the south where it's summer now and it will last until October or November. As a girl, it's acceptable that I wear a tank top under my jacket or cardigan -- the latter which can be removed as soon as I walk outside. I take full advantage of this, wearing a sleeveless shirt almost every day and can't imagine wearing an undershirt and long sleeved dress shirt daily. I would likely not do it either.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Cyburbia does.

Hence my perplexed reaction to your reaction to a meme questioning the value of car storage versus homes for humans. Especially, in light of you recent 'likeing' of my posts specifically quoting Kurt Vonnegut and his book God bless you, Mr. Rosewater, as the central premise of this book is 'unqualified kindness'.

I did not perceive your reaction as consistent with your recent 'likes'.
I think you can be kind, show compassion, and still have a reasoned conversation about how to approach troubling social issues. To me the meme builds its argument on a foundation of flawed logic. I stand by that observation. Its clearly playing to a hometown and uncritical crowd here and it has some huge logic holes.

I don't believe you can make the world a better place if you fail to confront unpleasant facts or do the math. Kindness should be the default response, but it cannot be the reflexive response to a social issue.

One of my frustrations with our current culture is the refusal of many people to recognize the logic and reasonableness of the other side's argument. Instead of arguing the facts some among us are quick to label the other side as bad people - thus negating their standing to even be in the conversation.

Perhaps I am completely off base here, but I read your reply as an attempt to shame me for holding a divergent view. My guess is your motivations could have been oriented towards achieving any or all of the following. 1. Preserving Cyburbia's political monoculture. 2. Showing other Cyburbians you champion their values. 3. Establishing your authority by scolding the heretic. 4. Or, perhaps you really were trying to save me from the error of my ways. All are fine reasons and I am glad we are having this chat.

Here's my central thesis: Misplaced compassion kills more people than it elevates. That's not a pleasant thesis, but it is one believe to my core.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
but I read your reply as an attempt to shame me for holding a divergent view.
I took at as a backhanded way of calling you cold-hearted.

Low income housing is a false economy. It is so expensive to build that almost all of it has to be subsidized by some government program.
Right, but from a societal view, one might take into consideration the overall cost to society. Yes, it has to be subsidized by a government program, but does it cost more than what the government would pay if they were living on the streets? In a holistic assessment one might consider how much more likely someone living on the streets would be to commit a crime versus someone in low-income housing. If that homeless person is more likely to be arrested, is the cost of jail more than the subsidy paid on the low income apartment?

I don't know the answer.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Perhaps I am completely off base here, but I read your reply as an attempt to shame me for holding a divergent view. My guess is your motivations could have been oriented towards achieving any or all of the following. 1. Preserving Cyburbia's political monoculture. 2. Showing other Cyburbians you champion their values. 3. Establishing your authority by scolding the heretic. 4. Or, perhaps you really were trying to save me from the error of my ways. All are fine reasons and I am glad we are having this chat.
None of those. I was simply perplexed given your recent history of posts you've 'liked'. There seemed to be confusion contradiction.

But...see what you will. I can't stop you. It's a free country.

I took at as a backhanded way of calling you cold-hearted.
It was neither of those.

DVD

Cyburbian
So more wife logic...We talked about getting some new patio chairs because ours are crap. I believe the lord would frown on our current patio chairs like men not wearing undershirts or men wearing black socks with sandals. So naturally I figure sometime after the big move tomorrow, maybe in a day or two, we would go pick up the ones we licked at Home Depot. Nope, she's paid for them and I have to pick them up tomorrow. At least I'll have a handy uhaul to pick them up with.

Planit

Cyburbian
So more wife logic...We talked about getting some new patio chairs because ours are crap. I believe the lord would frown on our current patio chairs like men not wearing undershirts or men wearing black socks with sandals. So naturally I figure sometime after the big move tomorrow, maybe in a day or two, we would go pick up the ones we licked at Home Depot. Nope, she's paid for them and I have to pick them up tomorrow. At least I'll have a handy uhaul to pick them up with.

Well I hope if she 'LICKED' them like you said, she would buy them.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
A distant family member this week told me to give my immediate family members all their best.

What does that mean? In an era of crazy schedules and distractions we don’t actually give anyone our best because if we did, this world would be a very different place.

Most times, we are fortunate if we are acknowledged at all.