• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

kms

Cyburbian
A distant family member this week told me to give my immediate family members all their best.

What does that mean? In an era of crazy schedules and distractions we don’t actually give anyone our best because if we did, this world would be a very different place.

Most times, we are fortunate if we are acknowledged at all.
Your relative acknowledged your family, and wished you all well. Accept it gracefully and don’t overthink it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I was on vacation from Wednesday until today. Some of our Wisconsin family were in town because of a graduation. It was nice, but not long enough.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
On the my project is cooler than yours front:

It's a Laundromat - stay with me.
It has food - stay with me.
It has an outdoor eating area - stay with me.
It serves alcohol!!!

Honey, I'm going to go take care of the laundry for you!

We are trying to think up some names for this place to present them to the developer. Spin Cycle needs something more like Drink and Spin.

We're also envisioning techno music/foam party going on.
There used to be a place in Wilmington, NC called the Soapbox Laundro Lounge. Downstairs was a laundromat/coffee bar/lounge and upstairs was a concert venue with live music, pool tables, full bar, etc. It was definitely a proto-hipster hangout. As long as the bar upstairs was open or a concert was going on, the laundromat downstairs was open so it would make for some strange sights when coming out of a concert at 1:00 a.m. The concert venue was pretty small and maybe only held 150 people or so. One of the absolute best shows I ever saw was the Drive-By Truckers there in December of 2004.

...and this afternoon's excitement came in the form of an individual leaving a diarrhea trail on the floor from the city hall lobby to the bathroom.

I had just returned from lunch and had 4 people tell me about it. Guys, I just got back from lunch!

Cleaning crew came in & HR said its an OSHA thing due to - well you know.

Cleanup on aisle 2!!!
Planit - did we really need to know that ?
He's just sharing the pain.
^Who is it that's sharing the pain - Planit or the person who left the trail?

So many shaky claims...

A new micro hovel does nothing to reduce someone else's vehicle ownership. It only serves to increase the number of stop light panhandlers.

The two SUVs will likely have lower emissions than the meth lab that will eventually be set up in the micro hovel. (Just kidding with this one)
I actually agree with many of the points you make, especially that the small home does nothing to reduce somebody's vehicle ownership, but it was your final point that made me nearly spit out my coffee. :ha:

My brain keeps reading this at the "Hotten-trots" :roflmao:
Was the mystery pooper at Planit's office suffering from the Hotten-trots?

AG74683

Cyburbian
There used to be a place in Wilmington, NC called the Soapbox Laundro Lounge. Downstairs was a laundromat/coffee bar/lounge and upstairs was a concert venue with live music, pool tables, full bar, etc. It was definitely a proto-hipster hangout. As long as the bar upstairs was open or a concert was going on, the laundromat downstairs was open so it would make for some strange sights when coming out of a concert at 1:00 a.m. The concert venue was pretty small and maybe only held 150 people or so. One of the absolute best shows I ever saw was the Drive-By Truckers there in December of 2004.
My buddy lived next to one in Carborro, NC that was a bar/laundromat. I think it also had pool tables and a small stage in the bar area. The place was called Suds which I always thought was just a perfect name.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Thoughts upon my return from a long weekend vacation to Denver:

• Traveling without a 3-year-old is so much nicer than traveling with one (though I missed her immensely as soon as we pulled out of the driveway)
  • As a Marine, a retirement ceremony for an Air Force E-8 was about everything I expected it to be :rolleyes:
  • Colorado is beautiful and if I ever were able to convince my wife to move somewhere other than Detroit, it might be there (she loved it too)
  • An Infinity QX60 is a very comfortable vehicle but my god does it have some of the worst user-interface that I've ever experienced for the radio, climate control, etc.
  • Downtown Colorado Springs reminded us a lot of a slightly sleepier version of Ann Arbor
  • On the top of Pikes Peak I discovered I am not immune to altitude sickness

el Guapo

Capitalist
"They" are now selling lawnmowers with "lifetime oil." These mowers have no oil drain plug. This practice is an abomination!

A $350 lawnmower should not be a disposable item. Regular oil and air filter changes can keep a well-build lawnmower engine alive for a decade or more. Of course the deck and other parts often fail before the engine.

I understand that some synthetic oils are really great and will last many time longer than dino goo, however synthetic oils are not immortal.

My inner Ron Swanson weeps for the people who are duped by this chicanery.

Bubba

Cyburbian
  • Colorado is beautiful and if I ever were able to convince my wife to move somewhere other than Detroit, it might be there (she loved it too)
My experience in Colorado has been limited to the Denver airport, the Tech Center area, and some generic southeastern suburban area of Denver. Meh. However, I do have a friend that currently lives in Boulder, and he won't shut up about how wonderful that area is...

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My experience in Colorado has been limited to the Denver airport, the Tech Center area, and some generic southeastern suburban area of Denver. Meh. However, I do have a friend that currently lives in Boulder, and he won't shut up about how wonderful that area is...
I was out there in 2017 for a C2ER conference and was only downtown. It was nice, there were plenty of trails to run on and some very nice city parks, but downtown and the city itself was just another generic American big city (although there was plenty of good beer to choose from) with really nice weather. My wife's cousin (and the cousin's husband) were stationed at Buckley Air Force Base and they came and I went out to that side of town for dinner one night and, yes, it was just more generic tech centers and office parks. On that trip, I was trying to take a day to get out of town to check out the Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre but just didn't have time. I kick myself now for not going last time because we made it out there early one morning on this trip. It's only about 25 minutes from downtown but like a totally different world.

Saturday we went down to Colorado Springs to go to Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak. Garden of the Gods was absolutely gorgeous. I wish we would have had more time because it would have been a great place to go for a nice long run. Every fall I usually take a long weekend by myself to go run a marathon (generally the Marine Corps Marathon in DC) but I'm seriously considering skipping it this year and going to Colorado Springs instead.

Our oldest is taking rock climbing lessons and loved Garden of the Gods as well. She was able to do some bouldering in a few spots but she saw the climbers going up some of the more technical routes and is already saying she wants to go back to do some actual climbing there.

Hink

OH....IO
Get outside Denver and I think it gets better. It has all the feel of mountains without the traffic. The Springs are nice, but it is really sprawled out. My love is the western side of the state, Gunnison, Crested Butte, Silverton, Durango, Ouray. We will retire there if I can keep my lungs handling the air.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Second what Hink said
Get outside Denver
I am very biased about Colorado - lived there for 10 yrs - Breckenridge & Denver, went to University of Colorado Denver (UCD).

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
"They" are now selling lawnmowers with "lifetime oil." These mowers have no oil drain plug. This practice is an abomination!

A $350 lawnmower should not be a disposable item. Regular oil and air filter changes can keep a well-build lawnmower engine alive for a decade or more. Of course the deck and other parts often fail before the engine.

I understand that some synthetic oils are really great and will last many time longer than dino goo, however synthetic oils are not immortal.

That is the most insane thing I've ever heard. Screw that. Like literally, would it be difficult to install a drain plug?

Bubba

Cyburbian
Get outside Denver and I think it gets better. It has all the feel of mountains without the traffic. The Springs are nice, but it is really sprawled out. My love is the western side of the state, Gunnison, Crested Butte, Silverton, Durango, Ouray. We will retire there if I can keep my lungs handling the air.
The mountains did look nice from a distance...

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian

Our throw-away society makes me angry! We suck!

On that note, I have been making myself a pile of To-Be-Mended clothing pieces and I'd like to start actually repairing them instead of just creating a pile. A sweater where the seam opened up, one of my favorite shirts that has a tiny hole in the front -- it's not a lot of work. I just actually need to make time to do it!

Gedunker

Moderating
My niece started work this year at Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP. I hope to be able to visit with her while I vacation at my sister's summer home at Dillon Lake in July. Black Canyon is awesome.

Reactions: JNA

Planit

Cyburbian
I've nicknamed our paving contractor "Puddles"

It was very evident as to why after the rain this weekend.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Our throw-away society makes me angry! We suck!

On that note, I have been making myself a pile of To-Be-Mended clothing pieces and I'd like to start actually repairing them instead of just creating a pile. A sweater where the seam opened up, one of my favorite shirts that has a tiny hole in the front -- it's not a lot of work. I just actually need to make time to do it!
I took my sewing kit and two articles of clothing that need minor mending (one of mine, one of my son's) downstairs last night. That's as far as I got. Eternal optimism. . .

Bubba

Cyburbian
snowing in Maine today
Low 50s at sunrise in the ATL today, but bright and sunny now...

A buddy of mine back home who had been wandering in the wilderness personally and professionally for the past eight years finally landed a good job yesterday, and I think it will be in a work environment that will help keep him on track. That news completely made my day yesterday a good one.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Tuesday. In two weeks the pools will start to open.... really?
The old people a couple doors down from us opened their pool the last weekend in April (that's actually later than they opened it last year!) and I've seen them using it quite a bit. I can only imagine how much their gas bill is to heat it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Funny thing of the day. Owner of the property tries to apply for a contractors exemption for a commercial gas station/restaurant. :rolleyes:

shell_waster

Cyburbian
Low 50s at sunrise in the ATL today, but bright and sunny now...
And the dad of the year award goes to me for sending his daughter to school today in shorts and short sleeves. They are on a field trip to Fernbank, wish I could have chaperoned that one.

Bubba

Cyburbian
And the dad of the year award goes to me for sending his daughter to school today in shorts and short sleeves. They are on a field trip to Fernbank, wish I could have chaperoned that one.
...at least we'll warm up into the low 70s?

Yeah, you missed the boat on Fernbank - that would have been a good one to chaperone.

DVD

Cyburbian

I think they're marketing it wrong. They must market to your inner Ron Swanson. Install the drain plug then just tell you the engine is great because it doesn't need an oil change for 10 years and we'll guarantee that. Ron would put it to the test and if it worked would fully support that company.

All moved into the new house. Fixed the garbage disposal that jammed, but couldn't fix the oven that blew a fuse during the self cleaning cycle. It was a challenge. Built in oven that was locked. Figured out how to unlock it with a coat hanger and remove the oven. Replaced the thermal fuse - convenient parts store just around the corner from home. Still have no power to the oven. Repair guy is coming today.

More important, cats like the new house and space to run, kids love the new pool, and wife is happy.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I think they're marketing it wrong. They must market to your inner Ron Swanson. Install the drain plug then just tell you the engine is great because it doesn't need an oil change for 10 years and we'll guarantee that. Ron would put it to the test and if it worked would fully support that company.
Removal of the plug and associated machining operations (drill and tap into the engine block) were a measure to lower production costs. The marketing is just cover to convince the consumer that "cheaper is better."

As a bicycle rider, this reminds me of the BSOs (Bicycle-Shaped Objects) sold at WalMart. They're not intended to last, they're just designed to be sold at a price point. Most bicycles purchased are only ridden about 20 miles and never ridden again, so it doesn't matter if they're durable. So now we have Lawnmower-Shaped Objects.

True confession: I've had my lawnmower perhaps 5 years and have never changed the oil.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I ordered a new phone when I was at my parents house over the weekend. They didn't have it in stock so I had it sent to my house. The guy declined to tell me it requires a signature for delivery, so I have absolutely no way of getting the damn thing besides staying home from work. Top top that off, he put my sisters number in as the notification number, so she has all the information on the tracking number and is probably the only person who can redirect it. :mad:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Is he going to be the operator of the gas station/restaurant?
Don't think so, it's a franchise so I assume not. Either way, we've been told you cannot use that on a restaurant because it's not for you or your companies sole occupancy, you have the general public in there.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Here is a Jeopardy Question for you golfers -

Category - Golf Course Architects

Clue - Bethpage Black

Who is AW Tillinghast

Gedunker

Moderating
Ouch - $400 to have 105' of 4" drain line cleared.
Ahhh - no more back-ups in the basement floor drain!

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Don't think so, it's a franchise so I assume not. Either way, we've been told you cannot use that on a restaurant because it's not for you or your companies sole occupancy, you have the general public in there.
That make sense or churches would be doing that all the time. Doesn't the affidavit have to be approved by the licensing board?

DVD

Cyburbian
The Bronconator is a building official I used to work with. I believe he has since moved back to the Denver area, but he never missed a game.

AG74683

Cyburbian
That make sense or churches would be doing that all the time. Doesn't the affidavit have to be approved by the licensing board?
Yeah, which is the dumb part. You're supposed to send it to the licensing board, but it's not supposed to hold up the permit. If the affidavit is denied by the licensing board, the permit is revoked. That is insane to me because by the time the Board looks at the affidavit, it could be weeks after the permit is issued and you may have significant work started by an unlicensed group.

EDIT* Wow, looks like you CAN use that exemption affidavit to avoid a licensed contractor. The licensing board is going to let them proceed, even though the building will be open to the general public. That is a terrifying thought.

Last edited:

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
EDIT* Wow, looks like you CAN use that exemption affidavit to avoid a licensed contractor. The licensing board is going to let them proceed, even though the building will be open to the general public. That is a terrifying thought.
Oh no! That's not what it's supposed to be used for. ALSO, everywhere I've worked -- it's up to the Building Official to accept the exemption affidavit. And I can tell you we wouldn't be accepting it for a public use!
Yeah, which is the dumb part. You're supposed to send it to the licensing board, but it's not supposed to hold up the permit. If the affidavit is denied by the licensing board, the permit is revoked. That is insane to me because by the time the Board looks at the affidavit, it could be weeks after the permit is issued and you may have significant work started by an unlicensed group.
Umm, I've never sent it along to the licensing board. Oops?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Oh no! That's not what it's supposed to be used for. ALSO, everywhere I've worked -- it's up to the Building Official to accept the exemption affidavit. And I can tell you we wouldn't be accepting it for a public use!

Umm, I've never sent it along to the licensing board. Oops?
Yeah the whole process here is absurd. So they expect a building inspector to put his name on a permit without knowing of that affidavit is valid? That's insane considering how much time they put in to earning those certificates. I've always thought they are for something like a manufacturing business where the only occupants in the building will be those employed by the company.

Here, you're supposed to email/fax those affidavits to the licensing board contact. They ultimately approve of them. We all strongly disagree with our contact at the Board, but who else do we turn to? If we go above him, he'll find out and then our whole relationship with him here will be in jeopardy. I think we may reach out to larger departments that see this stuff often and get their take.

Planit

Cyburbian
Preparing for a yard sale this weekend. Went to the storage building and filled the truck up last evening. Going back tonight for a second load.

General question. I have several cassettes and a couple different smaller "boom boxes" that could play them. Should I keep one player for potential future use (although I haven't used them in a number of years)?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I am wearing heels today and it's been awhile since I have worn heels to work so I feel a little 11-year-old-wobbly-girly

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Preparing for a yard sale this weekend. Went to the storage building and filled the truck up last evening. Going back tonight for a second load.

General question. I have several cassettes and a couple different smaller "boom boxes" that could play them. Should I keep one player for potential future use (although I haven't used them in a number of years)?

As much as I love nostalgia, I say get rid of them. For a long time my wife refused to get rid of her two boom boxes but after sitting unused in the den and our bedroom collecting dust for probably 5 or 6 years, she finally parted ways with them. She did however keep her cassettes... that she also never has a desire to play.

Whatever you decide to do with them, I hope you crank up the Ratt on your boom boxes on the front lawn while you sit in your lawn chair wearing your cut-off jorts drinking your High Life and judging your customers.

Planit

Cyburbian
I've got a special wife beater tank top to wear as well. Used it to work on the car so its all nice and greasy for tomorrow.

Hink

OH....IO
Layla is a great song, no matter the weather outside. Cocaine requires a car without a top, going at least 50 mph.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Oh wow ... I was all set to share a pic of the "tuba guy" (actually on euphonium) who plays in the stands at the Colts games. Since I know his real name I searched on that ... and found a mugshot.
He failed to post his arrest for voyeurism on his FB page. Seems he installed a stealth video camera in a first aid kit and positioned it in the washroom of the doggy daycare place where he worked.

Also he is quite religious, right wing, really hates seeing pics of me playing my horns at activist causes ...

Last edited: