• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Listen to this....

I heard this earlier this morning and I can stop singing it; so I must share. You can thank me later.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I'm hosting a garage/yard sale for the first time in my adult life.

Pray for me.
Just an FYI if you wanna help him out folks, Cedric the Entertainer is the Patron Saint of Garage Sales. Watching You-Tube clips would seem an appropriate offering. You'll be in our hearts, man.

zman

Cyburbian
Hey guys! Been A while. I met Michaelskis last night in Raleigh and we caught a hockey game and reminisced about this place.

Thought I’d check in an say hello, if you’ll still have this recovering planner in your midst.

**also got a notice that I signed up 15 years ago— yikes

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Hey guys! Been A while. I met Michaelskis last night in Raleigh and we caught a hockey game and reminisced about this place.

Thought I’d check in an say hello, if you’ll still have this recovering planner in your midst.

ZMan!!! So great to see you back here and that's pretty cool you met up with the Skis!

Bubba

Cyburbian

...and you are? :cool:

Good to see you, dude.

Maister

Chairman of the bored

Hey dude, good to see you. Stop by now and then, okay?

I got the game Wordscapes on my new Pixel 3 phone. I played it for maybe an hour last night and am already up to level 52! I am a genius! Bow down before me! I guess you could say my mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Image result for Hedley Lamarr

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

Welcome back Z

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
No, I'm not ignoring youse. I was just really busy at work the past couple of weeks, and we took a little road trip to Washington. Today, we're seeing the International Spy Museum, and the Smithsonian Museum of American History. Yesterday, we went to the Capitol, Supreme Court, and Holocaust Museum.

In true planner fashion, we're staying at a hotel in Arlington above a Metro stop, and taking the train everywhere. Last time we were here, the Metro looked kind of ragged, and headways were irregular. In the past year, things have improved quite a bit. ("This is a 7000 series train." We get it already.). However, because I'm here with my wife, I can't run off to fill an SD card with photos of Kentlands and Reston Town Center. :D

We really like DC as a getaway for a long weekend. NYC is a little bit closer, but it's a lot more expensive. Toronto is about five hours away from us, but there's not nearly as much to do there.

Of course! We keep the light on for all Cyburbians, past and present. :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I am a genius! Bow down before me! I guess you could say my mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
James Holzhauer would like to have a word with you.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
At the Smithsonian Museum of American History.

Reactions: JNA

Veloise

Cyburbian
No, I'm not ignoring youse. I was just really busy at work the past couple of weeks, and we took a little road trip to Washington. Today, we're seeing the International Spy Museum, and the Smithsonian Museum of American History. Yesterday, we went to the Capitol, Supreme Court, and Holocaust Museum.

In true planner fashion, we're staying at a hotel in Arlington above a Metro stop, and taking the train everywhere. Last time we were here, the Metro looked kind of ragged, and headways were irregular. In the past year, things have improved quite a bit. ("This is a 7000 series train." We get it already.). However, because I'm here with my wife, I can't run off to fill an SD card with photos of Kentlands and Reston Town Center. :D

We really like DC as a getaway for a long weekend. NYC is a little bit closer, but it's a lot more expensive. Toronto is about five hours away from us, but there's not nearly as much to do there.
Dan, if you can fit The Newseum in, I highly recommend. On-line tickets are cheaper.

Bubba

Cyburbian
We have an intern that started today. He is SO ENTHUSIASTIC. It's really cute, and I'm also so worried about us crushing his poor spirit with our lack of energy here. :)
I love newbies and their enthusiasm, although I do have to remind myself that "get out of my face" as a response to their "good morning!" greeting should probably be reserved for their second week on the job...

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
One of the little green anole lizards is back. We had a new sidewalk poured in front of our building. Further, the landscaping was torn out. I was afraid he or she was gone. A little bit of nature and life to start my morning.

Gedunker

Moderating
Someone stepped in a freshly placed concrete this morning. Looks like a utility patch job in existing city sidewalk. Took not one but two steps. Both went very deep into the 4+ inches.

The workers had finished and left the site, but there were cones and tape around it and Mr. Idiot still managed to walk through it. Somebody's gotta have a pretty messed up shoe about now.

DVD

Cyburbian
We have an intern that started today. He is SO ENTHUSIASTIC. It's really cute, and I'm also so worried about us crushing his poor spirit with our lack of energy here. :)
You've got it wrong. You don't crush their enthusiasm and soul. You suck out their energy to make sure you can continue on for another year leaving them an empty husk of seeking a soul to devour. It's the vampire circle of planning.

One of the little green anole lizards is back. We had a new sidewalk poured in front of our building. Further, the landscaping was torn out. I was afraid he or she was gone. A little bit of nature and life to start my morning.
We've got a Mediterranean gecko living in our sprinkler valve box. Cute guy. To bad I have to dig it up to fix the leaking pipe and figure out where all the pipes go. Line 1 does the roses, line 2 also does the roses? WTF? Line 3 does the courtyard plants and line 4 just leaks right at the valve. The hydrangeas don't get water I guess. #newhouseproblems.

Another new house problem, the last people were so into wi-fi everything. Nest, ring, and even the irrigation timer. Why do I need wi-fi for my irrigation timer? I really don't want to control that through my phone. And the Nest thermostat keeps resetting to 79 degrees. If we wanted 79 degrees we would have set it there. Stop trying to out think us! Damn computers are taking over.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
DVD- Skynet has taken over

From my Non Sequitur-people gathered around a grave- "So we bid adieu to Jeff, as his journey to find the fine line separating courage and stupidity comes to an end":roflmao:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Did you reset the Nest? 79 was probably the preference of the previous inhabitants.
Jesus, how is this even a preference? Mine is 75 and that's only because it runs constantly if it's set any lower than that. 75 is still fairly miserable. At 79, what's even the point of having the AC on?

Bubba

Cyburbian
Jesus, how is this even a preference? Mine is 75 and that's only because it runs constantly if it's set any lower than that. 75 is still fairly miserable. At 79, what's even the point of having the AC on?
We have dual zone, both with programmable thermostats (but not Nests - I don't need inanimate objects trying to think for me). I go back and forth between 76 and 77 downstairs, and 77/78 upstairs. 78 is actually comfortable for upstairs, but that's because the thermostat is located in a part of the hallway that gets little air circulation and is the hottest part of the upstairs (so it's a bit of a false reading for the majority of the upper floor).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I've got dozens of friends and the fun never ends, that is, as long as I'm buying.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
So i tried a cannabis infused Lagunitas beer with my gf's father yesterday before our meal and watching some GOT. Thank god we split the one beer. Definitely had its hop aroma. Worth the $9? meh, I have had better beer.

kjel

Super Moderator
Another new house problem, the last people were so into wi-fi everything. Nest, ring, and even the irrigation timer. Why do I need wi-fi for my irrigation timer? I really don't want to control that through my phone. And the Nest thermostat keeps resetting to 79 degrees. If we wanted 79 degrees we would have set it there. Stop trying to out think us! Damn computers are taking over.
I am one of those people.

For winter I keep it set at 72F when we're home except it's 68F while sleeping, and Away mode I keep it set at 66F. For summer I keep it set at 72F when we're home, 74F while sleeping, and Away mode it's set at 76F.

We also have a beach house with a Nest, that one gets set at 60F for Away mode in winter to prevent any freezing and 78F for Away mode in summer to manage the humidity. While we're there we keep it set like our primary home.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
In our old house, thermostat readings of 78 felt comfortable. Maybe 76 in the spring when it's humid. In the new house, those comfort levels correspond with 75 and 73, respectively. There could be some variation in calibration, differences in how the air circulates around the house, etc., that could drive things off. In the old house the thermostat was directly across the hall from the air handler intake. In the new house it's across the hall and down a little bit; not sure it's close enough to give good reading of the intake temp.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Did you reset the Nest? 79 was probably the preference of the previous inhabitants.
I don't have a nest thermostat but I do have a lyric t5. It doesn't have a learning function per-say but it does have a feature where it knows how long it takes to get to xx degrees so that it will be at the scheduled temperature setting at x time. I keep the thermostat at 78 degrees when we aren't there, 75F when we are sleeping, and 73F when we are home. I get a report each month that compares past month usage to the same month a year ago. I can get an idea if the improvements I have made had a difference. This biggest selling point for me is that when the wife ask me to check/adjust the thermostat, I don't have to get up.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I have an Ecobee. Winter: night and away 60, home 68. Summer: away 78 home 70, night 68. Plus the window unit in my bedroom is set for 65 for sleeping.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I put in a Nest thermostat a couple of years ago and I always end up totally resetting at the end of each winter and summer since the learning algorithm seems to always want to override whatever schedule I try to program. So far, that's my only real complaint with it.

Planit

Cyburbian
Yard Sale netted $120 (& the other family netted $200). Not worth it in my opinion, but Mrs. P said at least we got rid of some clutter.

No jorts, wife-beater tank or adidas slides with tube socks on me. I did see various combinations of this fine apparel fashion on some of the buyers.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm in Arizona. Anything under the 100 degree mark typically feels cool. Plus no humidity to deal with other than a slight bump in the monsoon months. Right now we just leave the windows open, except where the dumb ass fat cat leans on the screen and falls out the window (one story so no cat is harmed by their own stupidity).

Another my project is cooler than yours... I subbed for another planner that was on vacation and got to review plans for stately Wayne Manor. Yep, I know where the Bat Cave is. A charity that helps kids is developing their headquarters as a tour of the manor plus Wayne Industries and it includes a ride in the Bat Mobile.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I put in a Nest thermostat a couple of years ago and I always end up totally resetting at the end of each winter and summer since the learning algorithm seems to always want to override whatever schedule I try to program. So far, that's my only real complaint with it.
Since the learning algorithm is the thing that differentiates it from other automatic thermostats, it would seem that this would be a very major complaint.

I have a normal programmable thermostat, no brains, just enough memory to remember the settings I enter. I purposefully entered values that minimize system use, but with the intention that if we are home during the day the thermostat can be overriden (which alters that one cycle but not the overall program).

If I had a Nest it would piss me off to no end if it tried to guess the random days we'd be home from work based on a roofing contractor coming over one day.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Driving through Pennsylvania is like driving through 1964. A time before the HIghway Beautification Act, when mom-and-pop billboards were a blight on the landscape, the Interstates were still in various stages of completion, road maps were filled with the dashed lines of proposed expressways, the engineers have yet to improve the dangerous curves and narrow lanes of New Deal-era concrete roads, and stereotypical Route 66-style roadside Americana was just starting to fade away. It's a state where roadside motels still have signs advertising "TV - AIR CONDITIONING". Not "COLOR TV by RCA". Just "TV".

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Driving through Pennsylvania is like driving through 1964. A time before the HIghway Beautification Act, when mom-and-pop billboards were a blight on the landscape, the Interstates were still in various stages of completion, road maps were filled with the dashed lines of proposed expressways, the engineers have yet to improve the dangerous curves and narrow lanes of New Deal-era concrete roads, and stereotypical Route 66-style roadside Americana was just starting to fade away. It's a state where roadside motels still have signs advertising "TV - AIR CONDITIONING". Not "COLOR TV by RCA". Just "TV".
Reading this just made me want to jump in the Studebaker and take a road trip to Ligonier, PA.

kms

Cyburbian
Reading this just made me want to jump in the Studebaker and take a road trip to Ligonier, PA.
Nothing like a road trip along the Lincoln Highway. Unless you’ve been there in the past six months, you’ll notice some changes around the gazebo in Ligonier - new hardscape and new trees.