• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

AG74683

Cyburbian
I believe its an old timey euphemism for Mexican restaurants.

I love the complete misunderstanding that it's really the fault of the 'wealthy' people that sold the Delaware Ave mansions as they decanted to the suburbs or the region in general.

I think women look quite smart in slacks.
Google says a beanery is just a cheap, usually inferior restaurant. Doesn't have to be Mexican.

Planit

Cyburbian
We have a local crazy who is handing out flyers telling to people to contact their congressmen to rescind the $2.6 million grant we received for a infrastructure & road improvement project. His rational is that its a waste of taxpayers dollars. We've tried to explain to him that its federal money and which means our tax money is coming back to the city instead of someplace else. He doesn't care - also he has his appraisal / real estate business on said street.
:rolleyes:

Big Owl

Cyburbian
It's been busy today... currently, I am thinking I deserve an afternoon snack. So the question is should it be a chocolate muffin or experimental soft pretzel with cookie dough?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a local crazy who is handing out flyers telling to people to contact their congressmen to rescind the $2.6 million grant we received for a infrastructure & road improvement project. His rational is that its a waste of taxpayers dollars. We've tried to explain to him that its federal money and which means our tax money is coming back to the city instead of someplace else. He doesn't care - also he has his appraisal / real estate business on said street.
sounds like the guy from my last town moved there - he didn't want to take CDBG funds wtf, right - used to complain about all the mistakes "you planners made with urban renewal" - likely your guy is part of the Agenda 21 crazies too

It's been busy today... currently, I am thinking I deserve an afternoon snack. So the question is should it be a chocolate muffin or experimental soft pretzel with cookie dough?
chocolate muffin

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Volunteered at my son's school for their end of the year picnic. What up with some many kids not liking hot dogs? Why do they hate america so much?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Oh dear. The new intern started today and left a few notes on her computer. It was...rough.

Brian was spelled as "Brain" twice.

Ankle was spelled as "ankel".

Schedule was spelled as "secdule" I think. It's hard to read.

Available was spelled as "availble".

Uhhh.....

kms

Cyburbian
Oh dear. The new intern started today and left a few notes on her computer. It was...rough.

Brian was spelled as "Brain" twice.

Ankle was spelled as "ankel".

Schedule was spelled as "secdule" I think. It's hard to read.

Available was spelled as "availble".

Uhhh.....
I red something that said bad spelling isn’t connected to intelligence. Nevertheless, this would drive me crazy. 🤣🤣 I left the misspelled word there on purpose. 🤣🤣

DVD

Cyburbian
Got this all the time in Kansas. We don't want that Health Department money because it's a waste of tax dollars. The idea that some other city will get the money instead of you and you'll still be taxed the same amount went over their head. Their idea was we should set an example by not taking it then the state will stop giving it out which means they'll cut taxes. So our board agreed with them.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I red something that said bad spelling isn’t connected to intelligence. Nevertheless, this would drive me crazy. 🤣🤣 I left the misspelled word there on purpose. 🤣🤣
I don't disagree with that. Her college transcript was basically flawless and her high school paperwork was excellent as well.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So Terminator helped Junior with his French assignment last night. "Helped" is perhaps not quite right, as "freakin' did the entire assignment for him" comes closer to the mark. Thanks T

What a great online community this is.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The experimental soft pretzel with cookie dough filling was a failed experiment that should not be repeated.
This just screams "Food Poisoning Warning" to me, and I would have avoided it like the plague. :ha:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Would anyone else like to conduct "food experiments" on themselves?

Planit

Cyburbian
Would anyone else like to conduct "food experiments" on themselves?

I made spaghetti sauce one time when I was just starting out. Started adding seasonings & spices. Saw a little spice jar with the words All Spice on it. Figured it was universal since it was "ALL spice" - nope, doesn't work that way.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Volunteered at my son's school for their end of the year picnic. What up with some many kids not liking hot dogs? Why do they hate america so much?
I blame Upton Sinclair's political fiction novel, "The Jungle." Published 113 years ago and still packs a punch.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
This just screams "Food Poisoning Warning" to me, and I would have avoided it like the plague. :ha:
It was a thin layer of cookie dough spread across the pretzel dough then rolled up. Think cinnamon roll but with cookie dough instead of cinnamon/butter mixture. It wasn't as if it was cooked then stuffed with raw cookie dough. It had promise but it fell short.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
People suck. No class.
Our family rule is to attend all little kid friend/classmate parties to which we are invited unless we are out of town. Heck, my parents have even taken Itty Bitty when we couldn't.

Itty Bitty's birthday party is in 2 weeks and quite a few of the kids are not coming. A few for legitimate reasons, quite a few just "can't make it." Grrrr.

Planit

Cyburbian
People suck. No class.
Our family rule is to attend all little kid friend/classmate parties to which we are invited unless we are out of town. Heck, my parents have even taken Itty Bitty when we couldn't.

Itty Bitty's birthday party is in 2 weeks and quite a few of the kids are not coming. A few for legitimate reasons, quite a few just "can't make it." Grrrr.

Kids can be mean and parents don't care sometimes.

Very sorry. Wish I could be there.

I hate social media. Hide behind a keyboard and troll away people.

You would think people would be happy to drive on the street after it's been closed for 10 months.

How foolish of me ... I'm just a dumb@$$ city planner, what the hell do I know.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
People suck. No class.

Apart from Bella's first birthday, we've not thrown a party. We don't have space to do one out our own house, our city doesn't really have kid friendly party venues, and anything that we would do outside of the city would likely create a hardship on her classmates' parents due to lack of transportation. So we just do a small thing at home with a cake and presents, I also send cupcakes and goodie bags to school.

She's been invited to one birthday party in two years, it was a classmate of hers whose mother is a teacher at their school. We went, but it was clear that only 2 or 3 other school friends were invited to the party as it was mostly their family and family friends. Lack of parties seems to be a normal thing where we live.

FWIW, Emily's birthday is during the summer so we never had big parties because everyone was always busy. As she got older she just preferred to travel somewhere different for 3-4 days which was fine by me.

arcplans

People suck. No class.

We have kinda waned on the party thing. My son's birthday typically falls during the memorial day holiday so we do parties for him either before or after that weekend. This year we did an indoor pool party, which we had 13 kids show, with only 4 declining. It's a sign of the times with birthday parties. They tend to be easier when they are older. Last year I just took my daughter and her BFF to 6 flags and called it a day.

----------------------------------------
I am just having a hell of a time with my daughter. She has completely nose dived this year. Her choices in friends, her grades, etc. I am at a complete loss in terms of being a parent. The last three weeks I have been called by the school multiple times for dress, behavior, and she was suspended. I scratch my head because I truly have an intelligent kid, but her answer to homework and school work has been "that's dumb" or "it's just junior high". Last night I went through her phone and discovered she was not completely truthful with me in regards to bullying issue. I was bullied in HS, so the fact that her actions are hurting another child are completely appalling to me. Yesterday afternoon she went through her entire yearbook saying things like "i hate this person" or "I don't like this person". It was just bad. I get it she is who she is, but man, i am just lost. I am completely depressed. Ashamed, just bleh.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
USGS National Map Corps
Volunteers Collect and Edit Over 400K Structure Points!

Just a little bragging - My contribution has been over 8,500 structure points.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Just received the June 2019 issue of Planning, and went and read my favorite section, Letters. Fascinating point by Michael Burrill in Cincinnati - "If Congress would simply make it illegal for private firms to receive tax breaks nationwide..."

Wow, just wow, I think that's a brilliant idea!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
^^ Preteen/early teen years are very hard for girls. It's easy to make bad decisions, because good decisions require time, thought, compassion, forethought, patience, etc - all things that that age range doesn't have.

Also, having been a girl in the past, I can tell you that girls are mean. If your daughter is also smart/intelligent, she may be covering up her uncool smarts with the mean/uncaring facade. If she's acting out, as well, I think a serious sit-down is called for. She is not handling the hellish environment of jr high well at all.

Take away her phone and other privileges and make her earn them back, one at a time.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
----------------------------------------
I am just having a hell of a time with my daughter. She has completely nose dived this year. Her choices in friends, her grades, etc. I am at a complete loss in terms of being a parent. The last three weeks I have been called by the school multiple times for dress, behavior, and she was suspended. I scratch my head because I truly have an intelligent kid, but her answer to homework and school work has been "that's dumb" or "it's just junior high". Last night I went through her phone and discovered she was not completely truthful with me in regards to bullying issue. I was bullied in HS, so the fact that her actions are hurting another child are completely appalling to me. Yesterday afternoon she went through her entire yearbook saying things like "i hate this person" or "I don't like this person". It was just bad. I get it she is who she is, but man, i am just lost. I am completely depressed. Ashamed, just bleh.
If you're open to it, I'm in a really good Facebook group called "Parenting Teens and Tweens with Connection" It embraces a parenting philosophy called "Trust-Based Relational Intervention" (TBRI) that was developed largely out of the founders' work with kids that experienced trauma, but can be utilized in any parenting relationship. Basically, the idea is that behavior communicates a need. So the goal is to try to figure out what's motivating the behavior and address the underlying need instead of looking at/trying to correct the surface level behavior.

If you want any resources, please feel free to send me a message. I don't want to inundate you if you're not interested. But since you're kind of at the end of your rope, this might be a good opportunity to try a different approach.

DVD

Cyburbian
New council members are being inducted. I get cookies!

I'd try to give advice on the girl thing, but mine is is the same age and the mood swings are um...interesting. The other day I was wrong because I agreed to take her little sister to Winco grocery (where she can get a 10 cent chocolate) over Fry's grocery. The older was not going with us and all I needed was some milk, but I guess I'm wrong for ALWAYS favoring the younger one. So no good advice. Just love them, talk to them, and maybe smack them upside the head when they need it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I could have written this myself. My son's grades, attitude, and choice of friends have taken a serious turn for the worse this year (7th grade). He turns 14 in a month and I'm told that has a lot to do with it, but I look around at other parents' kids and doesn't seem to me like they're struggling nearly as much as Junior is. It breaks my heart.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My soon to be 12 yr old son is starting the puberty train right now and his mood swings and reactions (aka over-reactions) to many thing have already required a fair amount of parenting from us. We still have at least 4 more years of this with him...maybe more...and two more boys starting in the next two years.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
We had a few issues during Middle School but (luckily) overcame them. Corrective actions include taking the phone; she had to wear clothes from lost & found if she had a clothing violation (we did not bring her clothes from home); made her write an apology letter to teacher; took her bedroom door off the hinges. We also found that she was bored in class as well. We spoke to the teacher about challenging her more with extra work.

A friend of mine with older kids said..."It's like an alien came down when they turned 12 and took their brain. Don't worry, they'll bring it back around 17.

I know that not reassuring but its turning out to be true.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I went over to the Know-It-All's cube and she was back there just doing squats for some reason. I dunno who is weirder, her for just doing squats in the dark in her office, or me for just watching trying to figure out what to say.

arcplans

I went over to the Know-It-All's cube and she was back there just doing squats for some reason. I dunno who is weirder, her for just doing squats in the dark in her office, or me for just watching trying to figure out what to say.
She sounds like quite the work wife you got there. Next time ask if she can do squats while sucking a lolipop :roflmao:

---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks all for the messages of support and understanding. It's been a rough few days. Plus I have had 0 motivation in this sign ordinance re-write because well, I am lacking direction on what is wanted. Like dude. Town of Gilbert says we can't do that anymore, so yanno, stop asking if we can do that in the new ordinance.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm so sorry @arcplans - I was bullied in junior high and when my first daughter was bullying our friend's daughter when they were freshmen, wow, yes, it just kicked me hard, couldn't believe it

my advice is stay on her hard every day, become the tiger-dad - she will hate you for it but she'll come out better on the other side - take care of your own health so it doesn't bring you down

she won't become a human again until sometime between 21 and 25 but she will be an awesome adult!

and @AG74683 - wow, this person better be really good at their job because she makes a weird office environment

also @Maister - I cook mine in the oven on a baking sheet on parchment paper which greatly helps clean up

gtpeach

Cyburbian
My foster daughter's cousin (16) was killed in a car accident back in March. I knew it was pending, but I heard on the news this morning that the sister of the girl who was killed was arrested for a lot of various violations (driving while uninsured, without a license, not securing a minor, filing a false report - the guy who owned the car had initially said he was driving, but it turned out he was not, etc.). They suspected drug use, but that wasn't part of the charges, so I'm guessing the analysis came back negative, or else they're waiting for the results still.

A large part of me just feels incredibly sorry for the whole family. They all seem to be stuck in a terrible. destructive cycle. I truly hope that the interventions with the girls that have been in my care are successful in helping them to make better choices and break the patterns they've seen in their family.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My foster daughter's cousin (16) was killed in a car accident back in March. I knew it was pending, but I heard on the news this morning that the sister of the girl who was killed was arrested for a lot of various violations (driving while uninsured, without a license, not securing a minor, filing a false report - the guy who owned the car had initially said he was driving, but it turned out he was not, etc.). They suspected drug use, but that wasn't part of the charges, so I'm guessing the analysis came back negative, or else they're waiting for the results still.

A large part of me just feels incredibly sorry for the whole family. They all seem to be stuck in a terrible. destructive cycle. I truly hope that the interventions with the girls that have been in my care are successful in helping them to make better choices and break the patterns they've seen in their family.
Yeah, it's sad when you encounter a screwed up situation and can't do anything about it. Especially when it relates to someone you are involved with. In my long career, the things that were the hardest to accept and shake where the situations I couldn't make better. I have several that haunt me to this day.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part of it is being a teenager. As LP and Planit have said, it's like an alien comes down and inhabits your formerly great kid and they become a different person.

For now, I'd take away the phone or replace it with a dumb phone (she'll live) and restrict who she can contact via your phone provider's family settings. Also, she may benefit from some counseling due to the divorce, your now blended household, and your ex-wife. As for clothing, you and your ex will have to get on the same page as to what is and isn't appropriate and eliminate it from her wardrobe-unless she's earning a paycheck and buying clothes on her own the wardrobe decisions are still up to you and her mom. The bullying thing is a never-go but generally it has to do with power and control rooted in fear or powerlessness of the bully.

TOFB

Cyburbian
My sister in law is having a graduation party for our nephew tomorrow. They maybe aren't rich but are not hurting. On the menu: hot dogs. She has my wife corralled into being the 'weenie queen'. My wife is vegetarian.

Thankfully I have a gig 175 miles away.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Who was at the APA Conference session in New Orleans in about 2011 where, in a normal session, he spoke and played about using arts and music to enhance resiliency post Katrina.
I think I was trying to text you to get to it, LP. I don't remember if you made it or not.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Every episode of House Hunters:

• "She's a substitute yoga instructor. He has an online business selling antique curling brooms. Their budget is $1,500,000.
  • OPEN FLOOR PLAN OPEN FLOOR PLAN OPEN FLOOR PLAN
  • Kitchen with quartz countertops, high-end cabinets, high end fixtures, new high-end stainless steel appliances - "This is sooooo outdated. We're going to have to do a full renovation."
  • "We entertain a lot."
  • Helicopter parents think their kid will stay a toddler forever, and fall down stairs leading to a second story, or the 3% slope in the back yard.
  • Looking at new houses in a new subdivision, they complain about nearby construction.
  • Bro wants a man cave.
  • Basic wants a huge closet "for my shoes", points to a little area, and says "Here's your part of the closet, honey."
  • One acre lot: "It's such a small yard!"
  • Zoning with a two acre minimum lot size: "All the houses are so close together!"
  • Carpet? EWWWWWWWWWWWW!
  • If they're looking in the suburbs, they're drinking white wine.
  • If they're in a city, they're drinking craft beer or third wave coffee.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Perhaps, but a word with 'bean' as a root is an olde timey derogatory term for Mexicans... :p
Yes...
There was also a coffee shop that needed to change it's name because of this...

Bubba

Cyburbian
My sister in law is having a graduation party for our nephew tomorrow. They maybe aren't rich but are not hurting. On the menu: hot dogs. She has my wife corralled into being the 'weenie queen'. My wife is vegetarian.
As each of my three nephews graduated high school, I have taken them, their family, and the grandparents out to lunch - their family finances have been terrible for a long time, so they don't get to eat out much at all (and it's usually pretty low-end when they do). The offer is always the same:

• You name the day.
  • You pick the time.
  • You pick the restaurant - any restaurant in metro Atlanta. Here are several suggestions for really good ones in your part of town, here are some near us, here are some near your grandparents, and if you tell us what sort of cuisine you really want, we can make some more suggestions.

The results:

1. Bad chain Italian
2. Mediocre chain Italian
3. The same mediocre chain Italian

kms

Cyburbian
As each of my three nephews graduated high school, I have taken them, their family, and the grandparents out to lunch - their family finances have been terrible for a long time, so they don't get to eat out much at all (and it's usually pretty low-end when they do). The offer is always the same:

• You name the day.
  • You pick the time.
  • You pick the restaurant - any restaurant in metro Atlanta. Here are several suggestions for really good ones in your part of town, here are some near us, here are some near your grandparents, and if you tell us what sort of cuisine you really want, we can make some more suggestions.

The results:

1. Bad chain Italian
2. Mediocre chain Italian
3. The same mediocre chain Italian
That’s really nice for you to do, and I’m sure they appreciate it.

1. They’re feeling a bit awkward because they have to pinch pennies and don’t want you to spend your hard earned money.
2. To them, it’s fine dining.
3. This is where they’d go if they could.

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. They’re feeling a bit awkward because they have to pinch pennies and don’t want you to spend your hard earned money.
2. To them, it’s fine dining.
3. This is where they’d go if they could.
Oh, I get that. Mrs. Bubba has always suspected that her sister was the one who picked the restaurant we ended up at for the oldest one. And, I imagine the youngest one was just copying his middle brother.

Reactions: kms

DVD

Cyburbian
No promotion for me. Sad, but I really didn't expect it having only been here 6 months and the job really needs someone that knows city policy inside and out.