• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
No promotion for me. Sad, but I really didn't expect it having only been here 6 months and the job really needs someone that knows city policy inside and out.

I am sorry to hear that ugh!

{3 more posts btw}

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Back in the day we had a Cyburbian post about astronomy -

This funny ? tweet by the Donald -

For all of the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon - We did that 50 years ago.
They should be focused on the much bigger things we are doing, including Mars (of which the Moon is a part), Defense and Science!
Trump’s Bizarre Statement About the Moon and Mars Rockets Across Twitter

AG74683

Cyburbian
I don't understand people sometimes. This guy kept telling me he had already finished some part of this permit. I had the folder in my hand, and that part wasn't in there. There is literally no other place it could be besides that folder, so obviously he hadn't done it, but he wanted to argue for like 15 minutes anyway.

DVD

Cyburbian
Hey, you got an interview. Having been at the job only 6 months and getting interviewed for a promotion isn't too shabby .
That's kind of what I think. Thanks for the opportunity, I'll talk to you after I've been here a bit and the next opportunity comes up. At least I know I'm appreciated here.

Now back to stealing that weekend everyone is talking about.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Amazon Prime has spoiled me for like all other websites.

I'm trying to get a few of my RC crawler vehicles running again, and need a few odds and ends to finish them. Every single hobby website charges a freaking arm and leg for shipping, and I just can't bring myself to buy anything.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
People suck. No class.
Our family rule is to attend all little kid friend/classmate parties to which we are invited unless we are out of town. Heck, my parents have even taken Itty Bitty when we couldn't.

Itty Bitty's birthday party is in 2 weeks and quite a few of the kids are not coming. A few for legitimate reasons, quite a few just "can't make it." Grrrr.
We generally have the same rule to attend all classmate parties that the kids are invited to and at pick up time I almost always hear the parents commenting about how there were a bunch of no-shows, even some folks who specifically responded that they would be attending. It makes me feel bad for the kids.

Our oldest has a summer birthday and we've found that we should always estimate that at least 40% of the kids we invite will not come (I think it might be worse in the summer because so many people go out of town) so we always invite a few extra knowing we'll have the space.

For our daughter's 6th birthday, we had a couple of no-shows, including a little boy who only lived a couple blocks away and he had stopped by on his bike when our daughter was outside a few days earlier to tell us how excited he was for the birthday party at the karate studio. Come the day of the party and he was a no show! 15 minutes after we got back home and were unloading the car, the mom pulls into our driveway and you could tell she was extremely embarrassed to have missed the party and we could hear the little boy crying in the car. She had come over to apologize and deliver a very thoughtful personalized shirt that she had made for our daughter so I think the mom totally flaked (which seems about right for that mom) but we invited the boy (and his little sister) inside for cake and ice cream and we played some games. 3 years later, my daughter still talks about that as her favorite birthday party memory and she was really sad when she could no longer fit into the shirt that she got.

___

Speaking of fitting into old shirts....

Yesterday was my nephew's high school graduation party. He graduated from the same high school I did so I wore my A_ B_ High School "Class of 1996" shirt which still fit perfectly. My siblings didn't believe me when I said it was the same shirt and not something I got ordered off the internet somewhere.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Saw an article online about how OJ is doing 'fine' since his release from prison (after serving 9 yrs for getting caught stealing back his sports memorabilia) and is playing golf most days. Really? He has disposable income for things like golf? I thought he had a $30 million wrongful death judgement against him. I guess he's not paying that off any time soon. Which begs a question - how does OJ earn income nowadays? And how will he ever begin to pay off a $30 M judgement if he's reduced to the usual income stream one expects from a retiree?

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw an article online about how OJ is doing 'fine' since his release from prison (after serving 9 yrs for getting caught stealing back his sports memorabilia) and is playing golf most days. Really? He has disposable income for things like golf? I thought he had a $30 million wrongful death judgement against him. I guess he's not paying that off any time soon. Which begs a question - how does OJ earn income nowadays? And how will he ever begin to pay off a $30 M judgement if he's reduced to the usual income stream one expects from a retiree?
Social security and pensions cannot be seized to satisfy judgments. He has his NFL pension and one from the Screen Actors Guild.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have to use GIS to create a map for this large rezoning. I haven't used GIS in years, and am really struggling with this 10.7. For some reason my selection line width is huge and basically obscures all the parcel lines I'm trying to select. It's really weird and no one knows how to fix it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I have to use GIS to create a map for this large rezoning. I haven't used GIS in years, and am really struggling with this 10.7. For some reason my selection line width is huge and basically obscures all the parcel lines I'm trying to select. It's really weird and no one knows how to fix it.
You might just need to break the selections into smaller groups.

DVD

Cyburbian
Somewhere there should be a setting, maybe under the selection menu, to change selection line color, width, etc.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Did any one catch the VW Commercial during the most important thing on TV last night (Game 6 of Stanley Cup Finals)? I think it was very well done. Now can they do this with an autonomous electric VW Bug and call it Herbie?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Social security and pensions cannot be seized to satisfy judgments. He has his NFL pension and one from the Screen Actors Guild.
IIRC, one of the reasons O.J. moved to Florida was because he declared bankruptcy after the wrongful death suit and Florida also has further restrictions on what can be garnished or taken from somebody to pay back judgements or bankruptcies.

kms

Cyburbian
Did anyone in Ohio notice an earthquake this morning? 4.0. The report says NE Ohio.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
My city attorney showed me this roundabout today - pretty cool - seems to work but over the pond, it's backwards lol

I wasted too much time trying to embed it here so go to google maps and hit The Magic Roundabout in Swindon UK

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Posting on a different thread about having a rewards card for World Market, it occurred to me the whole concept of an 'imports store' is largely irrelevant nowadays. Sure, 40 years ago shopping someplace like Pier 1 Imports held at least the illusion of painting an 'exotic' picture.....ah, here we have silken garments from China, paper parasols from the Japan, a canister of tea from the Dutch East Indies, and a bamboo chair crafted in faraway Siam or Indochina.....

Nowadays, if you're buying something like a wood chipper, calendar, pair of gym shoes, screwdriver, or a box of pencils, chances are its' origins lie in the mysterious and faraway Orient.

Planit

Cyburbian
So if there's been a building project going on for over 130 years, and someone at the city inquired about a building permit, only to find there was never one issued...what do you do?

That what has happened in Barcelona at Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia.
(I tried to attach a link to NPR's website, its not working, oh well)

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if there's been a building project going on for over 130 years, and someone at the city inquired about a building permit, only to find there was never one issued...what do you do?

It's an amazing place but yeah Gaudi was bat-$%^& crazy

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Worse, you should go down to Barcelona City Hall and demand to see a full set of building plans (which don't exist)

terraplnr

Cyburbian
People suck. No class.
Our family rule is to attend all little kid friend/classmate parties to which we are invited unless we are out of town. Heck, my parents have even taken Itty Bitty when we couldn't.

Itty Bitty's birthday party is in 2 weeks and quite a few of the kids are not coming. A few for legitimate reasons, quite a few just "can't make it." Grrrr.
I totally understand. We threw a pool party for my youngest son yesterday, and of the 6 school friends he wanted to invite, only one responded to my email invitation at all (but then they actually couldn't come because of illness). I even emailed the parents of his best school friends twice, but neither of them responded to me at all. Honestly part of me thinks that it's because my ex has been spreading untrue crap about me and my fiance, but it's still lame to not even respond with a "sorry we can't come but thank you for the invitation." :mad:

We all still had a fun time though because friends from his old school and from other places came.

But I hear you!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
People suck. No class.

Junior admittedly waited until only five or six days before his birthday to send out invites one year - which wasn't entirely his fault because mom and dad were still debating up until then whether or not we even wanted to host a birthday party for his 9th birthday a few years ago. But of the ten or so invites sent only one responded...and that was to say 'sorry can't make it'. He was heart broken that day I can tell you. He took it as a sort of personal reflection on him and announced he "no longer had any friends." No amount of consolation activities offered by adults would comfort him.

I don't know what's up with kids parents nowadays. I mean it would never have occurred to me NOT to go to a party where there would be cake and ice cream available when I was young.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I totally understand. We threw a pool party for my youngest son yesterday, and of the 6 school friends he wanted to invite, only one responded to my email invitation at all (but then they actually couldn't come because of illness). I even emailed the parents of his best school friends twice, but neither of them responded to me at all. Honestly part of me thinks that it's because my ex has been spreading untrue crap about me and my fiance, but it's still lame to not even respond with a "sorry we can't come but thank you for the invitation." :mad:
I am sorry, that sucks. This year I sent more text invites than physical prints. I found it easier to disseminate information to. I think the parents check texts more so than emails. It was easy to ask my son to get numbers from friends, plus when I ran into them, I asked to text something to them.

He took it as a sort of personal reflection on him and announced he "no longer had any friends." No amount of consolation activities offered by adults would comfort him.
Dude that has to be the worse feeling as a parent.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I actually had a similar circumstance as am adult with a church group. I hosted a college graduation at my dad's house who lived across from a lake at the time. Bought stuff, sent out invitations, the whole works. One girl showed up and I ended up dating her for awhile. I have never hosted a party since.

zman

Cyburbian
Musing from a pre-Council Meeting evening spent reviewing applications for the open City Clerk position...

Can I just axe any application that didn't upload a cover letter and/or resume?

Got my first application from someone in Florida thinking they are apply for the county that shares the name of our city in Washington state.

Many people seem to think that City Clerk is akin to a cashier of some sort...

So it goes.. .

MD Planner

Cyburbian
. . . Can I just axe any application that didn't upload a cover letter and/or resume?. . .
Absolutely. That is my go to method of separating the wheat from the chaff when I have multiple applicants for a position. And yeah, maybe I miss out on a great employee, but oh well. Effort gets rewarded, the minimum does not.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah if you required it clearly, then you should separate them out into another pile to go through only if you had no good candidates from the people that followed the rules - though the tole of a City Clerk is to be OCD about following rules so there's that - I will say that when I used Indeed.com to find work, it wasn't always clear what was wanted and sometimes you would hit apply and off it went with my indeed resume before I could do anything so that can also be a problem for applicants -

moving to my MIL's house this week (we rent our house out as a vacation rental in the summer) has been the worst ever this year - she fell over the weekend and wouldn't go to the hospital but she needs to go and we have this urgency to leave the house as our first guests come Thursday and the cleaners need to just fumigate the house, it's so bad (your dirt that you live with really comes through when you want to rent your house out - the cleaning we do for ourselves or dinner parties is very different than the level of clean you need for a rental)

so I am a little stressed as I can't take anytime off yet and I am exhausted when I get out of work

#firstworldproblems

TOFB

Cyburbian
Yeah if you required it clearly, then you should separate them out into another pile to go through only if you had no good candidates from the people that followed the rules - though the tole of a City Clerk is to be OCD about following rules so there's that - I will say that when I used Indeed.com to find work, it wasn't always clear what was wanted and sometimes you would hit apply and off it went with my indeed resume before I could do anything so that can also be a problem for applicants -

moving to my MIL's house this week (we rent our house out as a vacation rental in the summer) has been the worst ever this year - she fell over the weekend and wouldn't go to the hospital but she needs to go and we have this urgency to leave the house as our first guests come Thursday and the cleaners need to just fumigate the house, it's so bad (your dirt that you live with really comes through when you want to rent your house out - the cleaning we do for ourselves or dinner parties is very different than the level of clean you need for a rental)

so I am a little stressed as I can't take anytime off yet and I am exhausted when I get out of work

#firstworldproblems
Isn't it creepy to know that randos are going through your stuff? That's what we do

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Local media is resurrecting the "bikes vs. cars" :rolleyes: debate again. It seems like an easy go-to on a slow news day.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't it creepy to know that randos are going through your stuff? That's what we do
my middle child hates renting the house out because of that fact so yeah - I don't care unless they steal stuff which does happen and I don't go in after every guest to look at everything so often I don't realize something is gone until we move back in the fall

arcplans

It's why i only rented out my master on airbnb but dang government came down hard on me for not paying taxes. Our local news ran a story about graduation weekend for the local u and airbnb. The one weekend I did it, man made a freaking killing renting out my sole room for $400 a night, 2 night minimum stay. Made an easy 1K for just cleaning my house.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I just ran the numbers.

Google search results for:
  • "Americans hate Canadians" - 511 results (0.000001 hater per American)
  • "Canadians hate Americans" - 7,540 results (0.0002 hater per Canadians)
Canadians hate Americans 200 times more (20,000%) than Americans hate Canadians.

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
It's why i only rented out my master on airbnb but dang government came down hard on me for not paying taxes. Our local news ran a story about graduation weekend for the local u and airbnb. The one weekend I did it, man made a freaking killing renting out my sole room for $400 a night, 2 night minimum stay. Made an easy 1K for just cleaning my house.
Know-It-All has a rental house up in the mountains here (NC). I cautioned her about not paying the occupancy tax, but of course she corrected me in saying "oh there isn't one there. It's only for long term rentals". That's horseshit, and I know it. It's a county largely known for being a resort destination for NC. It has almost all our major ski resorts. She has the house up on AirBnB and according to her it is "booked until September". Those counties know what they are doing, and they troll through AirBnB all the time. She's going to get crushed, and I'll laugh.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes we have to pay the state - Airbnb takes out the federal tax for you, which is a great service - I wish they would do state too because it's a pain in the neck - in my fair state, it's anything rented more than 2 weeks but I think it varies state by state

your know it all buddy is very prevalent

dw914er

Cyburbian
my middle child hates renting the house out because of that fact so yeah - I don't care unless they steal stuff which does happen and I don't go in after every guest to look at everything so often I don't realize something is gone until we move back in the fall
Do you rent out your house every summer?

arcplans

Know-It-All has a rental house up in the mountains here (NC). I cautioned her about not paying the occupancy tax, but of course she corrected me in saying "oh there isn't one there. It's only for long term rentals". That's horseshit, and I know it. It's a county largely known for being a resort destination for NC. It has almost all our major ski resorts. She has the house up on AirBnB and according to her it is "booked until September". Those counties know what they are doing, and they troll through AirBnB all the time. She's going to get crushed, and I'll laugh.
Yea, my muni of residence did a crack down and I didn't want to jump through the permitting hoops, plus at the time the GF and I were discussing moving in together, so it pretty much was an easy to decision to walk away. At my job we use host compliance, and let me tell you, how they figure you out is pretty wicked. Basically, we are cracking down on airbnb and other services so we can get our slice of TOT, which is at 12 percent. And pretty much a TOT is a short term rental, or under 30 days here in this state, so god forbid she mixes the two up. Could you imagine a tax for a long term rental?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Could you imagine a tax for a long term rental?
That's where I was sort of dumbfounded. That is an insane proposition and the fact that she thinks that really exists is telling. I think it's 90 days here in most NC jurisdictions.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you rent out your house every summer?
Yes! We give Cyburbian discounts if you want the place to yourself -ask @Hink as he did it!

We have a local permit - annual inspection (got mine, yes)

It's worth it though as we use it as our capital improvement plan funding source but yeah, the initial move out is so horrible I can't believe it, the state taxes not being taken out is a pain and the occasional grumpy traveler story is tough (hey, it's a house, not a resort)