• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

dw914er

Cyburbian
Yes! We give Cyburbian discounts if you want the place to yourself -ask @Hink as he did it!

We have a local permit - annual inspection (got mine, yes)

It's worth it though as we use it as our capital improvement plan funding source but yeah, the initial move out is so horrible I can't believe it, the state taxes not being taken out is a pain and the occasional grumpy traveler story is tough (hey, it's a house, not a resort)
I may take you up on that. in the future We won't be doing a summer trip this year as a 3 month old is hard to travel with, but we do like doing an annual trip and have talked about going to the East Coast.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Popping back in here because it's been too long. Life has been insane. Finished up a very toxic grey side Housing Dev job last month, and am preparing my final Departure plans for Montréal.

Job screwed me out of some reimbursements so I decided to take a summer job doing non planning work (first time since finishing Undergrad! A needed breather) at a local College and postpone my move to September, I will be signing a lease for than as to ensure I actually make the jump. Not happy about it but 3 extra months isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I am probably about 10 lbs lighter since I last posted too, been working out every other day and walking a mile daily, cut out all junk food and greatly reduced carbs from my diet, with a rotating weekly cheat day where I can have my favorite cuisine, Jewish Deli! Mmmmmmmm....knishes and corned beef (in Homer S voice).

As for my random thought:

In the 1980s my Godfather used to listen to a very famous pioneering indie radio station called WLIR that was among the first stations in America to play The Smiths, because he listened to WILR, he ended up buying Ministry's debut synth pop masterpiece "With Sympathy" (1983) that the band later shunned, but has become sort of a cult record for Millennials into the Cold Wave scene (read new wave revival scene), and I inherited my copy! Needless to say this is one that will survive my pre departure record sale!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I feel like I live in the future every time I deposit a check via smartphone
I know what you mean. Every time I use my smartphone I feel like I should don a silver unitard, pop a nutrition pill, and ride the monorail.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
We just met with the town attorney to discuss her review of the FBC I've been working on. She called it "elegant" and "beautiful". :)
I have never ever heard a municipal attorney say that, wow - is hse a boomer/hippy attorney or some other stereotype?

My favorite slogan was from my very first town attorney - an Irish Southie/Boston who moved up in the world to Quincy - I learned so much from him but my favorite line was "well, LP, it's all legal 'til you get to court!"

DVD

Cyburbian
There's a checklist for a reason. The 1st reviewer hit you for the things on the list. The 2nd reviewer hit you for the same things on the list. Now I get to hit you for the same things. And a variance for up to 30% does not mean 30.8%. I'm not good at the math thing, but those is two entirely different numbers.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
There's a checklist for a reason. The 1st reviewer hit you for the things on the list. The 2nd reviewer hit you for the same things on the list. Now I get to hit you for the same things. And a variance for up to 30% does not mean 30.8%. I'm not good at the math thing, but those is two entirely different numbers.
We stop taking them in if you can't completed the required items from the 1st review

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was perusing Zillow to see what's newly listed or interesting in my general area and came across a listing of a random 1960s ranch. The house is nice enough but there are a couple particular photos that caught my eye:

I don't know if the home is professionally staged or if it's just the owner's stuff and personal taste but I have to say that that's got to be one of the coolest dens(?) (or maybe it's a walkout basement?) that I've ever seen.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I was perusing Zillow to see what's newly listed or interesting in my general area and came across a listing of a random 1960s ranch. The house is nice enough but there are a couple particular photos that caught my eye:

View attachment 24667

View attachment 24668

I don't know if the home is professionally staged or if it's just the owner's stuff and personal taste but I have to say that that's got to be one of the coolest dens(?) (or maybe it's a walkout basement?) that I've ever seen.
I was going to say, that's one of the tidiest garages I've seen.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I am working on some implementation for an affordable housing work group recommendation and so I have spent some time on Zillow getting a feel for purchase pricing and foreclosures (there's a ton here if anyone is into flipping) and I am flabbergasted at what people think are okay photos of their home - crap everywhere, dirty dishes in the skink, and these are not even the foreclosed houses!

Take half of what you own out of a house, borrow some lights (or at least use the flash) and then photograph your house for showing - hello?

AG74683

Cyburbian

That is super cool and all, but that metal rolly chair bothers me. The minute you roll back off the tile and on to the carpet is the minute you flip over.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Zoning enforcement sucks when the recipient of the enforcement also has all kinds of non-zoning problems. I hate working at the intersection of poverty, criminality, addiction, poor choices, and crappy human services where somehow zoning is what's supposed to finally fix everything, yet here we are. Hint- the police, fire marshal and health officer can't fix it, how am I going to fare with my puny zoning rules?

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Watched the replay of the USWNT completely beat down Thailand. TBH, I get it you want to send a message, but clearly you could have held back after, say goal #7.

zman

Cyburbian
The cool part having the Facilities division in my department?
  • Being in charge of a Single A- short season (Padres affiliate) baseball stadium.
  • Having a golf course (where I was yesterday for a "tour")

Maister

Chairman of the bored

AG74683

Cyburbian
Why the F would you send the Planning Director applications for plumbing permits? And they put their information on a "zoning permit" application no less. I have no idea what these people are thinking.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Zoning enforcement sucks when the recipient of the enforcement also has all kinds of non-zoning problems. I hate working at the intersection of poverty, criminality, addiction, poor choices, and crappy human services where somehow zoning is what's supposed to finally fix everything, yet here we are. Hint- the police, fire marshal and health officer can't fix it, how am I going to fare with my puny zoning rules?
This is one of the first mentoring concepts the seasoned Senior Planner provided me in my first professional planning job.

He accurately explained that zoning is a very poor tool for regulating social/cultural behavior. This was in the context of the relatively stringent regs/processes for "video arcades" my employer still had on the books in 2003, which was an anachronistic hold over from the freak outs people had in the early 1980s when video game arcades starting proliferating.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
One of the toughest part of my job is seeing people in bad situations and knowing I can't help them. Further, I could make their situation worse. There are things I've seen over the course of my long career that still haunt me.

AG74683

Cyburbian
One of the toughest part of my job is seeing people in bad situations and knowing I can't help them. Further, I could make their situation worse. There are things I've seen over the course of my long career that still haunt me.
It's rare to see someone come in our office that is in a legitimate bad situation. 99% of what I see is absolutely self caused. Solid waste code enforcement is certainly different (so many hoarders out there), but I've found with zoning code enforcement you're usually looking at an "ask for forgiveness" rather than "ask for permission" situation. I take little pity on folks in zoning enforcement situations, because it is rarely something they just couldn't avoid.

Building condemnation is a tough one for sure. A lot of times we see renters trying to fight against landlords and they file complaints. When the building is condemned, they get booted out on the street. We advise them of this, but many just don't care to listen.

Planit

Cyburbian
Mrs. P had to be at work early this morning for a meeting. She got up before me, got ready & left (I usually leave before her).

As I got ready to leave, I couldn't find my phone, but hers was still on the charger.

Yep, you guessed it, she picked up mine instead of hers - which don't even look the same...but it was early.

I ran by her office on my way to work and switched. Her meeting was just getting ready to start.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
99% of what I see is absolutely self caused.

Well, drug, mental health, veteran's affairs, and affordable housing policy all could have played a role here too. The slumlord I'm dealing with would have no tenants if it weren't for tenants with opiate addictions to feed, thank you Sackler family.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I know this is ironic given my avatar but last night I had deal with an urban racoon that was in the process of trying to get into my garbage can. The wife spotted the raccoon and swore that as she was looking at him/her through the kitchen window that the raccoon waved at her. At that point, the wife determined that I needed to attend to the issue. I grabbed a 16 oz bottle of water that I intended to throw toward it if need be to scare it away and I went out the door. The raccoon scampered off then I secured the trash cans so that they could not be easily knocked over and secured the lids so that they could not be opened. I completed the task successfully with out injury to myself, the raccoon, and the water bottle. My wife was grateful but both my daughters criticized my tactics, both stated that I should have grabbed a broom or rake. I didn't realize that either one of them were experts on urban raccoon encounters.

kjel

Super Moderator
I am working on some implementation for an affordable housing work group recommendation and so I have spent some time on Zillow getting a feel for purchase pricing and foreclosures (there's a ton here if anyone is into flipping) and I am flabbergasted at what people think are okay photos of their home - crap everywhere, dirty dishes in the skink, and these are not even the foreclosed houses!

Take half of what you own out of a house, borrow some lights (or at least use the flash) and then photograph your house for showing - hello?
For real. Like do you want to sell your house or not?

Bubba

Cyburbian
I know this is ironic given my avatar but last night I had deal with an urban racoon that was in the process of trying to get into my garbage can. The wife spotted the raccoon and swore that as she was looking at him/her through the kitchen window that the raccoon waved at her. At that point, the wife determined that I needed to attend to the issue. I grabbed a 16 oz bottle of water that I intended to throw toward it if need be to scare it away and I went out the door. The raccoon scampered off then I secured the trash cans so that they could not be easily knocked over and secured the lids so that they could not be opened. I completed the task successfully with out injury to myself, the raccoon, and the water bottle. My wife was grateful but both my daughters criticized my tactics, both stated that I should have grabbed a broom or rake. I didn't realize that either one of them were experts on urban raccoon encounters.
The dorm room I had my freshman and sophomore years faced a wooded stretch of campus, and was on the ground floor with it own private entrance (these dorms were suite-style). Having raccoons come out of the woods to try and get into the trash cans was a semi-regular occurrence. One afternoon I heard the trash can outside my door go over - I opened the door to see it on its side, lid off, with a raccoon halfway into it. I picked up an empty Coke can and bounced it off the raccoon's hip - it calmly backed out, glared at me, and then went back into the can.

I closed the door and resumed whatever it was I had been doing.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Skinks are interesting animals.

kms

Cyburbian
Same here. I respond to flooding complaints along long-encroached-upon streams in urban areas. I hate having to tell people who clearly live check to check that they have to hire engineers, pay for studies, pay application fees and hire contractors. Clearly, they’d live elsewhere if the had the means.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
omg parsing out the real difference between a boarding house, a bed and breakfast and a tourist home is not as easy as it seems - it's like pron, you know it when you see it but it's hard to describe - meals and turn down service, use of kitchen, all tough to enforce by anything but complaints from crabby neighbors ugh

and I keep hummin this little song my dad used to sing, originally by Roger Miller in my head, but a drunk Dean Martin is a little more fun to post:

DVD

Cyburbian
That would make a great reality show.... Daughter #1 vs Daughter #2 vs raccoon. I love my daughters but my money would be on the raccoon.
One of my kids would want to feed the raccoon and maybe pet it. The other would stand back and say how cute it is until it took a step toward her. Then she would run screaming how it was going to attack her.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have two rezoning requests with a significant amount of letters to go out for both. I think I accidentally printed one set of envelopes twice, but I can't remember. I sent one group out already. Luckily the post office is small, so they are going to call me whenever they pick up the mail for that particular mail box to let me look over them.

This is some stupid internal policy too. I don't even NEED to send this round of letters out.