• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

AG74683

Cyburbian
Oh yeah, I want one of those!
It arrived right as I got home for lunch, so I unpacked it to get to the bowl to get it in the freezer right away. The paddle is plastic, so that's a good thing. It's on the smaller size though. Great for me, not so great for people with big families or who need to make a lot of ice cream. It'll make just around 2 quarts total.

This is similar to our ice cream maker
The one I got doesn't use ice/salt around the mixing bowl, which is a huge positive to me. The bowl is double insulated and has some freeze gel stuff inside. You have to freeze the entire thing though, so you need to plan ahead a bit. You can order another bowl for pretty cheap, like 35 bucks, so I might do that to have an extra one handy just in case.

On an unrelated note, people who ask "Have you been busy?" really annoy me. What answer do you expect here? It will always be yes, even if I haven't been. Why even ask this stupid question?

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Sounds like the no-cook results in fluffier ice cream (Breyers, Edy, most store brands). The cooked kind results in a denser ice cream (Häagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry's). I'll be doing the no cook first. I plan on making a Reeses peanut butter cup one to start. My idea is to take Reeses Puffs cereal and soak it in milk overnight. I'll blend that all together and use that milk base in the ice cream. I plan on adding chunks of Reeses peanut butter cups to it too. I want to make something with fruit as well. I was thinking raspberry with some sort of lemon zest maybe?
I have a pampered chef ice cream maker. The holding bowl has to be REALLY cold, though, for the ice cream to set, and I have much better luck consistently with the custard-based ice cream. Also make sure you use full-fat milk (or cream or half-and-half depending on the recipe you're following).

Homemade fruit ice cream can be really tricky. Fresh fruit adds additional moisture, so the consistency can get icy, and if you want the ice cream flavor itself to taste like the fruit (instead of just having pieces of raspberry in your vanilla or lemon flavored ice cream base), it can be really challenging. You can use "cheats" like adding fruit-flavored extracts or mixing some jam into the ice cream mix to enhance the fruit flavor without affecting the consistency.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Here is the 'east coast-west coast rap dispute' of our era....which is better to live in: a place where it's uncomfortably hot for long periods of time or cold?

I say cold - because when weather extremes happen you can spend much of your time indoors in a temperature controlled environment, but you still have to do daily/weekly outdoor household chores in both cold and hot weather. When it's super cold out you can put on boots, mittens, coats, hats, etc. to stay warm.....but there is no relief when it's 99 out and the lawn needs to get mowed (unless you've got an environmental controlled space suit to mow in)

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm taking West coast heat any day. I can stand out in the 120 heat for a while and not have too much problem as long as I've got some water and sunscreen. Cold just sucks and you don't have to shovel sunshine. Also, to make an argument that works and isn't just biased, sundress season lasts much longer.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Also, to make an argument that works and isn't just biased, sundress season lasts much longer.
DVD deals Team Cold a staggering blow! We may not recover...

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have a pampered chef ice cream maker. The holding bowl has to be REALLY cold, though, for the ice cream to set, and I have much better luck consistently with the custard-based ice cream. Also make sure you use full-fat milk (or cream or half-and-half depending on the recipe you're following).

Homemade fruit ice cream can be really tricky. Fresh fruit adds additional moisture, so the consistency can get icy, and if you want the ice cream flavor itself to taste like the fruit (instead of just having pieces of raspberry in your vanilla or lemon flavored ice cream base), it can be really challenging. You can use "cheats" like adding fruit-flavored extracts or mixing some jam into the ice cream mix to enhance the fruit flavor without affecting the consistency.
Hm, I didn't think about that fruit base. That makes a lot of sense though. I like the jam idea though. I only drink whole milk anyway so that's what I planned to use. I generally buy ultra pasteurized since I don't use it fast enough, but I've read that because of the higher heat to ultra pasteurize the milk, it's not ideal to use for ice cream. Apparently this can affect the flavor of the finished product.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We've never made a fruit type ice cream with ours, but have made: vanilla, chocolate, mint, and chocolate chip ice cream.

DVD

Cyburbian
Lady at work is wearing these. Granted it's Friday and we're pretty chill, but she has some interesting fashion choices and she's not old enough to have worn them when they were popular.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My City is getting bashed on social media today. A local business decided not to open after a few years of renovations and the mob is blaming the City. I am not engaging in the conversation at this point.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A lot of Buffalonians consider Zubaz the pinnacle of good taste.

Unfortunately ...
Zubaz, the clothing company famous for its colorful zebra-striped pants popular among Buffalo Bills fans, has closed its first and only brick-and-mortar store, which was at the Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls USA.

The company said it put its first store there because Western New York has been its highest-sales market since the company started 28 years ago.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Just got off the phone with a guy who argues the reason a variance allowing a lot split should not be approved is that there a species of 'vulnerable' turtles living on premises. Who even enforces the endangered Species Act? Isn't that like the US Fish and Wildlife Service? All I know is it ain't up to the local authority.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I am just wondering how @AG74683 ice cream turned out
The first one was really good, the second one was decent but too sweet.

The first one was like a Reeses peanut butter cup thing. The cereal idea worked well. I put mini cups and Reeses pieces in it too. It turned out awesome. The second was supposed to be a blackberry sorbet but I used way too much sugar. I used blackberry pie filling as the fruit base rather than regular blackberries, but I used the standard simple sugar mixture. Those pie fillings are already loaded with sugar. I dumped some lemon juice in there to balance it out, but it's still fairly sweet. Next time, I'll omit the simple sugar entirely and just use water if I use that pie base.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm sorry..... when were those ever popular (outside of the Bills Mafia)?
My brother owned a pair back briefly in the 80's while involved in volleyball. I saw that several other vb players wore them too.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
The first one was really good, the second one was decent but too sweet.

The first one was like a Reeses peanut butter cup thing. The cereal idea worked well. I put mini cups and Reeses pieces in it too. It turned out awesome. The second was supposed to be a blackberry sorbet but I used way too much sugar. I used blackberry pie filling as the fruit base rather than regular blackberries, but I used the standard simple sugar mixture. Those pie fillings are already loaded with sugar. I dumped some lemon juice in there to balance it out, but it's still fairly sweet. Next time, I'll omit the simple sugar entirely and just use water if I use that pie base.
I was inspired and made banana custard ice cream base last night. I tried to actually make the ice cream, but the freezer wasn't cold enough, so I just stored it and put the bowl back in the freezer overnight. I'll make it tonight when I get home.

The base made a TON, though, so I just used half for the banana. I'm trying to decide if I want to make something different with the other half. Right now, it's just a very basic vanilla custard. I'm not feeling particularly inspired for any other flavors, so I don't know...

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got some foundation in my eyes in my haste getting ready this morning and now my eyes are red #fml #Monday

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Here is the 'east coast-west coast rap dispute' of our era....which is better to live in: a place where it's uncomfortably hot for long periods of time or cold?

I say cold - because when weather extremes happen you can spend much of your time indoors in a temperature controlled environment, but you still have to do daily/weekly outdoor household chores in both cold and hot weather. When it's super cold out you can put on boots, mittens, coats, hats, etc. to stay warm.....but there is no relief when it's 99 out and the lawn needs to get mowed (unless you've got an environmental controlled space suit to mow in)
Having lived in both..... It's six of one/half a dozen of the other. For team hot, you can drive pretty much 12 months of the year. We have green and flowers 12 months out of the year. You get to be outside during winter with little to no problems. However, 90+ and high humidity for roughly half the year does make it rough. Plus bug/snakes/gator season never really ends.

For team cold, there are 4 seasons, with Fall being the best. You get to enjoy summer. However, snow is only pretty for one day. Rest of the time, its dirty, icy and a pain in the a$$ in general. They grey days seem to go on forever. Driving in snow and ice really sucks. Thanks to my at least partial Nordic background, I am cold adapted more than hot adapted.

FWIW, the indoor season gets flipped. Up north, you're inside during the winter months. In the South, you are inside during the hot months.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Just got off the phone with a guy who argues the reason a variance allowing a lot split should not be approved is that there a species of 'vulnerable' turtles living on premises. Who even enforces the endangered Species Act? Isn't that like the US Fish and Wildlife Service? All I know is it ain't up to the local authority.
Yep. Fish and Game. I had to have raptor nests checked on a fairly recent application. You prolly better check with the local DNR, maister-man.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
My mouth to mouth scared you right back to the living side, didn't it? Was it the lip balm? Too much cherry? :)
I like cherry chapstick.

No I was locked out for a couple weeks, then went on vacation (may I love Colorado). Now I am back. You know, just like a Monday.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Or you could just be like me. I complain when it's hot, I complain when it's cold. There is like maybe a single month out of the year I actually want to be outside.
That's why I love fall and spring. Nice warm and comfortable days, and nice cool nights. I dislike the cold (which is not actually the cold everyone else in the US sees) and the 100+ degree days.

kms

Cyburbian
Amphibians would be protected by fish laws here. That’s where I’d start.

Chances are people are more concerned about the lot split than the turtles. At least that’s what I’d think if someone like that guy called me at my office.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I introduced my wife to the wonders of Bass Pro Outlet yesterday. She wasn't very enthusiastic about going, reacting like when I need to make a stop at Lowe's or Home Depot while we're our running errands. Her lack of enthusiasm for visiting hardware or home improvement store isn't that much different from when my mom dragged my eight-year-old ADHD-PI self out to witness five or six hours of bra and blouse shopping during summer break.

triggered :cry:

Anyhow, an hour after we walked through the door, she left with a couple pairs of shorts and a pair of Tevas. Converted. :)

Meanwhile, I've got the afternoon off -- for allergy shots, and to get a tire leak fixed. Had to call six different places to find one that would even fix the tire this week. I'm driving around with a inflator in the car, just in case.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My daughter's friend's older sister is house sitting somewhere in the area this week and they invited my daughter over to go swimming. My wife dropped her off and sent me pictures from the backyard. The pool area is nicer than some resorts I've seen. I looked up the house in the public tax records - it's nearly 9,000 square feet with 12 bathrooms! It's one of those houses I've run past over the years and wondered who on earth lives there! Crazy!

I'll have to make sure my daughter remembers the little kiddee pool that she and her little sister were splashing around in yesterday afternoon so that I can knock her expectations down a bit.

Veloise

Cyburbian
My daughter's friend's older sister is house sitting somewhere in the area this week and they invited my daughter over to go swimming. My wife dropped her off and sent me pictures from the backyard. The pool area is nicer than some resorts I've seen. I looked up the house in the public tax records - it's nearly 9,000 square feet with 12 bathrooms! It's one of those houses I've run past over the years and wondered who on earth lives there! Crazy!

I'll have to make sure my daughter remembers the little kiddee pool that she and her little sister were splashing around in yesterday afternoon so that I can knock her expectations down a bit.
Home of your former state rep, by the sound of it. The poolhouse was reviewed in a magazine.

Planit

Cyburbian
Our nephew shipped out to Lackland AFB last week to begin basic training. I told him it was going to be hot in Texas.

(proud of that boy)

kms

Cyburbian
My big-agency coworker asked me to rewrite a detailed inspection report with more detail. She’s about to get an Alice’s Restaurant quality report.

I hope I’m not setting the bar too high for myself. This girl is too big for her britches.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Our BOC Chairman resigned last month. The vice chair is now the acting chair of the board.

The question is, do I refer to her as "Chair", "Chairwoman", "Chairperson"? I don't think the term "Chairman" should be gender biased. Yes, it has "man" in the title, but the title is the leader of the board and the gender should really be irrelevant. Is not not being sexist to change the term to fit the gender?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
My big-agency coworker asked me to rewrite a detailed inspection report with more detail. She’s about to get an Alice’s Restaurant quality report.

I hope I’m not setting the bar too high for myself. This girl is too big for her britches.
an Alice’s Restaurant quality report has to have

They was taking plaster tire tracks, foot prints, dog smelling prints, and
they took twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and
a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us.
Took pictures of the approach, the getaway, the northwest corner, the southwest corner and that's not to mention the aerial photography.

Reactions: kms

zman

Cyburbian
Long weekend = many naps (as an excuse to help my 3 year old nap).
I got too used to them and I am tired today. I don't want to get coffee before Council tonight, but may have to.

Also, what was touted as a mere facility update, has turned into a full scale analysis of the budget for our bus-train station facility - thanks to a very thorough Council member.

DVD

Cyburbian
I've got the most messed up zoning system here. Try to follow this and tell me how wrong this is - or maybe I'm just being crazy.
1. We put stipulations on zoning cases.
2. We modify those stipulations as needed when the original development doesn't pan out. Things like must be in general conformance with some plan or we asked for shade at the restaurant, but now it's not a restaurant.
3. Here's where I have the big problem - those stipulations can be modified to affect only a portion of the zoning site instead of the whole list of stipulations.
4. In one stipulation letter you can - or at least we have - modified stipulations on three different zoning cases.

It's Monday and WTF.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Our BOC Chairman resigned last month. The vice chair is now the acting chair of the board.

The question is, do I refer to her as "Chair", "Chairwoman", "Chairperson"? I don't think the term "Chairman" should be gender biased. Yes, it has "man" in the title, but the title is the leader of the board and the gender should really be irrelevant. Is not not being sexist to change the term to fit the gender?
Madam Chair is always appropriate, IMO

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Her lack of enthusiasm for visiting hardware or home improvement store isn't that much different from when my mom dragged my eight-year-old ADHD-PI self out to witness five or six hours of bra and blouse shopping during summer break.
At AM&A's? Or Twin Fair?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
At AM&A's? Or Twin Fair?
The trapped-in-the-1940s AM&As in University Plaza, where the call bells were nonstop.

And Hens & Kelly and LL Berger at Northtown, The Sample on Hertel Avenue, and Hengerer's on Main Street in Eggertsville. No toy, electronic, or sporting goods departments where I could escape, unlike the downtown or mall locations. Christ, the Eggertsville Hengerer's had a tea room and women's lounge. It wasn't just boring, but little boy hostile.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yeah, we weren't so high-falootin'. Mom used to take us to Twin Fair or Two Guys, drop us off at the toy department, and come back in an hour or so. Amazing we weren't kidnapped or something. That's the difference between growing up in Eggertsville and Cheektowaga, I guess. That, and the flamingos.