• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Hink

OH....IO
I like showing up in the AM and being able to post. It just feels nice.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Folks, if your community sells off some of its old urban renewal land and you don't put a deed restriction on how you want it developed, then you can't bitch when they come in for a permit for something you didn't want if it's allowed in zoning #Imnotarocketscientistbut #hypothetical

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Folks, if your community sells off some of its old urban renewal land and you don't put a deed restriction on how you want it developed, then you can't bitch when they come in for a permit for something you didn't want if it's allowed in zoning #Imnotarocketscientistbut #hypothetical
Waaaaaa....?

No. We can't deny a compliant Site Plan review request.

kjel

Super Moderator
Was it acquired with CDBG funding?

DVD

Cyburbian
And Now for Something Completely Different....

I so needed this kind of random today. :D

On to today's meeting where the street just stubs up to the property - they have a main road on the other side. The fun, 25' setback from any road. So some random stub road at the back will screw up their property.

Hink

OH....IO
I recently took a long trip. We used Waze. Waze has a function to have different voices to let you know directions and upcoming issues (traffic, pot holes, police, etc.). One of the voices is cookie monster. It was really fun for about 200 miles. Then it had to get removed because C is for careful, and cookies! only works so much...

I did enjoy DJ Khalid though. Toy Story was fun as well.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I recently took a long trip. We used Waze. Waze has a function to have different voices to let you know directions and upcoming issues (traffic, pot holes, police, etc.). One of the voices is cookie monster. It was really fun for about 200 miles. Then it had to get removed because C is for careful, and cookies! only works so much...

I did enjoy DJ Khalid though. Toy Story was fun as well.
I have to imagine that Cookie Monster Waze works for 200 miles on the open road. Driving through the city for a few hours with lots of stops and turns you'd probably tire of him after about 200 seconds.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I report to Code Enforcement that a bunch of commercial vehicles, semis, utility vehicles, etc are parked at the Mall, not allowed in the C-3 Zoning District.

Experienced Code Enforcement Officer emails me and tells the Mall manager said it was OK.

Why do I even bother.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I report to Code Enforcement that a bunch of commercial vehicles, semis, utility vehicles, etc are parked at the Mall, not allowed in the C-3 Zoning District.

Experienced Code Enforcement Officer emails me and tells the Mall manager said it was OK.

Why do I even bother.
When/if I ever leave this job, I will do whatever it takes to not be involved in code enforcement. I guarantee you that my reply to your report would have been exactly the same.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian

Why do I even bother.

Wow, did the mall manager pin a note to code enforcement's shirt and everything?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner

Why do I even bother.
Replace 'CE officer' with 'police patrols' and 'commercial vehs, etc' with 'obviously inop/unlic'd vehicles in plain sight on regular police patrol routes' and you have my current frustration.

My dept has exactly 1-1/2 people for CE throughout the City and inop vehs are not our responsibility. Whereas the PD have about 12-15 24/7/365 patrol officers each day.

It's not hard to post a sticker and reinspect in 14 days then tow if necessary.

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
My dept has exactly 1-1/2 people for CE throughout the City and inop vehs are not our responsibility. Whereas the PD have about 12-15 24/7/356 patrol officers each day.
By my calculation, the next day you have no officers on duty will be 24 July. Might be a good opportunity to scheme a scam, what with no SLEOs around.:oops:

AG74683

Cyburbian
When/if I ever leave this job, I will do whatever it takes to not be involved in code enforcement. I guarantee you that my reply to your report would have been exactly the same.
After today I should probably say "when/if I ever leave this job, I'll do whatever it takes not to work with the general public".

I swear, I have zero faith in humanity after working in this job. I cannot fathom how such a large amount of the population can be so damn stupid.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
After today I should probably say "when/if I ever leave this job, I'll do whatever it takes not to work with the general public".

I swear, I have zero faith in humanity after working in this job. I cannot fathom how such a large amount of the population can be so damn stupid.
Have you ever worked retail?

kms

Cyburbian

Try not to look at them as stupid. When I judge people against myself, I have a hard time dealing with them. Everyone’s different and everyone has something going on that affects how they behave.

Face it, our job is to deal with and assist people regardless of how they act. Well, in most cases.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Try not to look at them as stupid. When I judge people against myself, I have a hard time dealing with them. Everyone’s different and everyone has something going on that affects how they behave.

Face it, our job is to deal with and assist people regardless of how they act. Well, in most cases.
I completely understand that people don't always know what they are doing when they come in our office, but when I literally drew out a plan and told them to have the surveyor put THAT EXACT PLAN on a map, and they did it wrong AGAIN, it's hard not to be pissed.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I kept telling my car (1997 Camry) that if she can survive until I'm finished paying for daycare, then I'll be happy. This month is my last daycare payment. . . and yesterday my battery died and the oil started leaking badly. I replaced the battery (myself!) and took her to the mechanic today for the oil leakage verdict. Hopefully it's something minor because I only have about 16k more miles until the odometer hits 300k and it would be cool to see that happen.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
By my calculation, the next day you have no officers on duty will be 24 July. Might be a good opportunity to scheme a scam, what with no SLEOs around.:oops:
???

The PD have twelve to fifteen partol officers on the ground at any given time 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and every day of the year (365 days).

Therefore, an individual officer can take 5 mins to fill out a sticker and post the inop veh.

Last edited:

dw914er

Cyburbian
???

The PD have twelve to fifteen partol officers on the ground at any given time 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and every day of the year (356 days).

Therefore, an individual officer can take 5 mins to fill out a sticker and post the inop veh.
What happens during those extra 9 days? Is the Purge focused on just allowing inoperable vehicles?

DVD

Cyburbian
My battery died in the car last weekend. It survived a few years in Kansas, but not even a full summer here in Arizona. I swear we just rent batteries here.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I am so bored. Why? I have work to do.

Maybe my personal problems are pressing into my work time. My family is going through something that I don't want to talk about here, but it is dragging at me.

Maybe it's the heat.

Maybe I'm in the wrong area of work, and should get back to straight municipal work

Maybe it's something I haven't identified.

Whatever it is, it's causing me some productivity problems. I need to get this kicked. Or solved.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I am so bored. Why? I have work to do.

Maybe my personal problems are pressing into my work time. My family is going through something that I don't want to talk about here, but it is dragging at me.

Maybe it's the heat.

Maybe I'm in the wrong area of work, and should get back to straight municipal work

Maybe it's something I haven't identified.

Whatever it is, it's causing me some productivity problems. I need to get this kicked. Or solved.

Yes that is stress and anxiety - I am really sorry - it's very hard to crack through - I just parsed my day into baby steps of getting something done and a reward of a walk or a cup of tea

kjel

Super Moderator

Yes. An executive director from a non-profit agency who is also a city council woman in one of the county's towns called this morning with questions about the Lead Safe program. She informed me she was only distributing flyers to owner occupied homes because she didn't think any landlord of larger buildings would be interested due to "liability issues".

Me: there is no liability to participate in the program, if the landlord thinks a unit with a child living in it has a lead paint hazard the program will inspect it and if the tenant is low income we will remediate the unit for no cost. Her: well what if the tenant is over income? Me: It is the landlord's responsibility to abate any existing lead hazard per the law. Her: See they will become liable! Me: Ma'am the ALREADY are liable under current state law, lead paint if intact and not on a chewable or frictionable surface generally is a minimal hazard. She decides she isn't going to win this argument and turns left....

Well I called your partner agency's phone number and I couldn't get through. You have to know who you want to speak to in order to find someone. Me: thank you for that feedback, I will call the number and see if we can identify a clearer way through. Her: You do that. Their website is terrible too. I can find any information about the lead program on it. People from the north part of the county don't want to have to go to their office in Jersey City for information Me: let me take a look while you are on the phone. OK, it seems to have moved off the front landing page but it is under the services tab but I will ask for an easier link on the front page.

A) Our partner agency is a direct competitor to hers in the social service space.
B) I called the number, the option for the lead program is clearly identified AFTER the intro message is recited in ESPANOL, guess that was too much for her :roflmao:
C) My director told me that the woman was one of the nastiest people she's ever met and they won't talk to one another.

DVD

Cyburbian
Not an electronic plan review. DVD hates the electronic view. It hurts the DVD.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I was looking at the weather forecast for the places in the Midwest that we are going to, and they are calling for "record heat" in a few of them and the temps will match what we normally have in July. It would not be a big deal, but my Dad's house and my in-law's house does not have AC...

I will be driving through Detroit so we can check out the "LCA." I refuse to call it the full name.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I was looking at the weather forecast for the places in the Midwest that we are going to, and they are calling for "record heat" in a few of them and the temps will match what we normally have in July. It would not be a big deal, but my Dad's house and my in-law's house does not have AC...

I will be driving through Detroit so we can check out the "LCA." I refuse to call it the full name.
stop off at a hardware store and buy a window ac and just walk in with it (great image, as in "hi folks, just give me a minute to set this sucker up...)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner

That will call for extended visits to Lake Michigan beaches.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Depending on the time of day you are driving past the LCA, there is a beer store on Cass just a few blocks north of the arena (I just stupidly call it "The new Red Wings place" because I can never remember what it's actually called) named 8 Degrees Plato that has probably the best/most interesting selection in the area that is worth a stop for some supplies, even if it's just for a couple of minutes. They also have a bar inside where you can buy a beer to drink on site and they always have a good selection on tap.

There are also quite a few bars/restaurants that are good options for lunch or dinner if you have your kids with you. I'm not a Kid Rock fan by any means but his restaurant at the LCA is supposedly pretty good. For something Kid Friendly and interesting, I'd probably recommend Royale With Cheese (also on Cass another block or two north of Plato's) or maybe the Traffic Jam and Snug or Jolly Pumpkin both on Canfield.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Are there any interesting obscure but inhabited islands I should know about? Point them out to me on Google earth.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Are there any interesting obscure but inhabited islands I should know about? Point them out to me on Google earth.
Diego Garcia
South Georgia
Not necessarily one particular island, but Baku, Azerbaijan and the little natural and manmade islands around it are pretty interesting. There is some good photo journalism about this part of the world the the decaying oil infrastructure in the Caspian Sea.
Socotra, Yemen is really interesting, in terms of ecology, off the coast of Somalia.
My favorite inhabited island is probably North Sentinel Island (part of the Andaman Islands) in the Andaman Sea. This is home to one of the final remaining groups of indigenous peoples who have had no real contact with outsiders.
The Kuril Islands are pretty interesting too as there is still a territorial dispute between Russia and Japan going back 100+ years over who owns them. The larger Sakhalin Island to the west is interesting too even though Japan has given up their claims there. Russia and Japan have proposed building a big tunnel from the island to Hokkaido. If that got built, and the Sakhalin Rail Bridge/Tunnel project ever finishes up, Japan would be connected to Moscow and Beijing by rail which is sort of cool.

kjel

Super Moderator
Azores? Stuff around New Zealand?
The Azores are beautiful, I visited Sao Miguel in 2013 and would love to go back.

Probably not obscure but Bainbridge and Vashon islands in the Puget Sound are lovely.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
How about René-Levasseur Island in Quebec? It's an island in a within a very circular lake that always grabbed my attention on maps. I don't think anybody actually lives there but there are some parks and nature preserves. There are some lakes on the island that are large enough to have their own islands so I thought it would cool to go there to be able to stand on an island in a lake on an island in a lake.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
How about René-Levasseur Island in Quebec? It's an island in a within a very circular lake that always grabbed my attention on maps. I don't think anybody actually lives there but there are some parks and nature preserves. There are some lakes on the island that are large enough to have their own islands so I thought it would cool to go there to be able to stand on an island in a lake on an island in a lake.

View attachment 24719
The circular shape suggests either meteor or caldera origins.

And if either you or I were in the mood to visit an island in a lake on an island in a lake, we wouldn't even have to leave the state.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Maister

Here are your kind of lists -

10 Strange Islands

THE 10 STRANGEST ISLANDS IN THE WORLD

Top 10 Unusual Islands

The world's 19 weirdest islands

25 Weird Islands That Will Leave You Scratching Your Head

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We are hosting a "movie night" birthday party for our daughter's 9th birthday next month and my wife rejected my invitation idea which was basically along the lines of, "Send us your kids from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. so we can load them up on sugar and pop for a few hours before giving them back to you so you can put them to bed!"

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
I am SO there already. Thanks!
If you're confident in a kayak, you can easily kayak to the island from shore. I've done it several times. And the northwest shore of the island is also a deep underwater sinkhole, which is an example of a common and interesting geological feature of Alpena County and it's extensive underlying limestone layers.
There was an article in one of the Detroit newspapers a few years back about Rockport State Rec Area, just across from Middle Island, and it's been high on my list of places I want to visit in the state ever since.
The property is a cool remnant of the history of the extractive industry in NE lower MI. There is a large defunct quarry that you can walk around in and above with max quarry side heights of about 15-20 feet. There is also a large stone pile left near the shore that never got shipped that you can climb. Plus, the lakeshore here is quintessentially Lake Huron picturesque.

The recent history is also interestng. For decades it was owned by Consumers Energy and was a defacto publicly accessible property that was a secret of the locals in Alpena County. Then there was some really terrible environmental hazard created by Consumers elsewhere in the State, so part of their penalty was to donate all the property to the State for a state park. Pretty good trade for Alpena County residents in my opinion.

Last edited: