• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Planit

Cyburbian
Our Parks & Rec Dept does movies nights in the pool 4 times during the summer. There is always a sponsor for the movie & they generally get to pick the movie (Aquaman is one of this summer's movie).

I asked how much a sponsorship was. They asked what movie I wanted to feature. I responded JAWS. They said No.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Our Parks & Rec Dept does movies nights in the pool 4 times during the summer. There is always a sponsor for the movie & they generally get to pick the movie (Aquaman is one of this summer's movie).

I asked how much a sponsorship was. They asked what movie I wanted to feature. I responded JAWS. They said No.
Maybe they'd be willing to let you sponsor a showing of Open Water instead?

gtpeach

Cyburbian

Death Canoe 4!

DVD

Cyburbian
Northern AZ University does a pool party 1st day of classes that always features Jaws. Your parks people are way to uptight.

This has been a long week of problem solving with very little plan review time. This makes me very angry. :sick: (couldn't find Hulk emoji)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Or Sharknado...
I've never actually watched that but based on the cult following it's developed over the past few years, they'd probably get a pretty big turnout for that.

Our county parks dept operates two waterparks. I may have to suggest movie nights to be introduced at them next year. Looking at pictures from pool movie nights online just now, it looks like it could be pretty fun. Should we periodically turn on the wave machine too? :thinking:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Even my county pool had a movie night showing "JAWS."

But what really $uck$ for the kids is that the City pools and County pool close before school starts Wednesday August 7;

but what about the next 4 weekends including Labor Day - NO they are closed.

Last edited:

kms

Cyburbian

But what really $uck$ for the kids is that the City pools and County pool close before school starts Wednesday August 7;

Probably because the lifeguards go back to college early in the month.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
It is amazing the amount of time I spend on things that people don't realize.

Also, I find that I judge people on how they organize their agenda for a meeting. Each engineering firm does it a bit different, and I certainly have an opinion.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Probably because the lifeguards go back to college early in the month.
Around here all the pools (public and private) always have Labor Day as their last day since most kids go back to school the next day even though it's hot enough to swim for a few more weeks but I would imagine in @JNA's case it probably does have to do with lifeguards (though they should be able to get at least another week or two from any college-aged kids). We've had a shortage of lifeguards at our two county waterparks over the past couple of years. Unemployment is low enough that teens don't really have a hard time finding summer jobs but the pay scale for the part time summer lifeguards here is pretty crappy so a kid can generally earn more money at just about any job out there so they don't even look to us. It's gotten bad enough that the county introduced a bounty payment for current employees who refer new lifeguards. I tried to get my nephew to apply and he laughed when he saw the payscale. I told him that he could spend all day at the pool checking out girls and he replied that he'll just keep his previous summer job of pumping gas at a marina and still see girls in bikinis and earn a bunch more! It doesn't sound like the bounty worked because the county's waterparks had to operate under vastly reduced hours during all of June.

Planit

Cyburbian
Weird dream last night - I came up on an intersection and someone had hit the utility pole and knocked the light & various pieces into the middle of the intersection. I put my car in park, turn on the flashers and walked into the intersection to pick up the pieces. As I did that, someone got in my car and drove away. It wasn't the city car, it was a car I had owned 30 years ago. I called 911, but it kept opening up a game on my phone instead of making the call. I then ended up at a sketchy chop-shop looking for my car. Woke up before I found my car or killed.

• Wow
Reactions: kms

DVD

Cyburbian
Around here you have a pool in your backyard or have a friend that does.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think I'm going to switch the my weekly food box to a different company. Plated dropped the ball and one of the boxes just never arrived. I've also been less than impressed lately with the food. The quality is good, but the taste is non-existent. They don't include enough seasonings most of the time. I think I'll try HelloFresh.

I'm definitely paying a hefty convenience fee, but if I got all the ingredients myself, I'd throw away over half of it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I spent a good chunk of my morning out at the local National Cemetery for a funeral for a fellow Marine. He was a Vietnam vet and I didn't know the guy but his nephew posted in our running group that he (the nephew) was the only family and he didn't have many friends in the area and he knew his uncle would appreciate some Marines being there so I went and I grabbed a fellow Marine I work with (who luckily had his Marine Corps League cover in his car) and off we went.

The Facebook post must have gotten around because we had about 40 Marines and other vets of various ages show up. I feel like I did my good dead for the day.

I think I'm going to switch the my weekly food box to a different company. Plated dropped the ball and one of the boxes just never arrived. I've also been less than impressed lately with the food. The quality is good, but the taste is non-existent. They don't include enough seasonings most of the time. I think I'll try HelloFresh.

I'm definitely paying a hefty convenience fee, but if I got all the ingredients myself, I'd throw away over half of it.

I have a friend that uses HelloFresh and some of the recipes she gets look pretty good (of course she posts everything on Facebook and Instagram because if you don't post your food on there, did you even eat?). It's just her and her young daughter so a couple of HelloFresh meals a week or month or however often they get it probably isn't that bad of a deal. And like you said, she ends up with very little leftovers. If you're single or not cooking for that may people, sure there's a hefty surcharge compared with going to the grocery store but it's probably still less expensive than if you were to take yourself out to dinner all those times.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
It felt good to have a heat regulated shower this morning, and drinking from a regular facet versus a plastic bottle.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have a friend that uses HelloFresh and some of the recipes she gets look pretty good (of course she posts everything on Facebook and Instagram because if you don't post your food on there, did you even eat?). It's just her and her young daughter so a couple of HelloFresh meals a week or month or however often they get it probably isn't that bad of a deal. And like you said, she ends up with very little leftovers. If you're single or not cooking for that may people, sure there's a hefty surcharge compared with going to the grocery store but it's probably still less expensive than if you were to take yourself out to dinner all those times.
I've been getting the 3 recipes with 2 meals for a while from Plated. Basically that amounts to 6 meals for me (although the portion sizes are hardly generous). I think in the long run I'd waste a lot more food than I would want to if I got everything to make these meals myself. It's definitely less expensive than eating out every night though. Plated meals are around $12 a plate. It looks like HelloFresh is closer to $9. HelloFresh has a "gourmet" meal every week that has some more interesting proteins (duck or some sort of atypical fish). That meal is a few dollars extra, but even with that charge, it still comes out cheaper than Plated and the quality looks to be a bit better from all the reviews I've read.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I really enjoyed Educated, by Tara Westover. It was a really interesting view into the world of people who don't believe in science, reality, and fact. It really shines a light on why our country is where it is right now. Really couldn't recommend it more.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I really enjoyed Educated, by Tara Westover. It was a really interesting view into the world of people who don't believe in science, reality, and fact. It really shines a light on why our country is where it is right now. Really couldn't recommend it more.
Is this on Netflix? I hope it's not a book because that would require me to, you know, read.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I wonder if an iconic design - in this case I'm thinking about the livery of Air Force One (and, really all the Air Force jets in passenger service to the government) - can be declared a landmark, such that Boss Trump can't replace it with the one he keeps showing off at the Oval Office. That robin's egg blue, white, and chrome-silver is a classic.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

I've been pretty happy with Plated, the few times I've had a quality issue and the one missing box they rectified it quickly. They use Laser Ship as the delivery service in my area and they are always shady so I was suspicious at first but haven't had any issues other than the one box. I ditched Blue Apron when it went public and started cutting corners on ingredients. TBH sometimes I do add additional seasonings to my recipes but I'm a pretty awesome cook so I always have everything on hand. I mostly do the box because it's 3 meals I don't have to plan or shop for and all 4 of us eat very differently from one another.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I wonder if an iconic design - in this case I'm thinking about the livery of Air Force One (and, really all the Air Force jets in passenger service to the government) - can be declared a landmark, such that Boss Trump can't replace it with the one he keeps showing off at the Oval Office. That robin's egg blue, white, and chrome-silver is a classic.
Last summer I took the family to Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum near Dayton. They had an exhibit featuring all of the historic Air Force One's. The exhibit is probably no longer going on, but it was cool to see them. President Johnson had more Air Force Ones than any other POTUS; he not only had the Kennedy AF1 but had a small brush hopper that he used when flying between Dallas airport and his ranch. Most memorable to me was Columbine II, which was Eisenhower's AF1. It was interesting because although it was the President's personal plane, it was by todays standards a rather spartan affair.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I've been pretty happy with Plated, the few times I've had a quality issue and the one missing box they rectified it quickly. They use Laser Ship as the delivery service in my area and they are always shady so I was suspicious at first but haven't had any issues other than the one box. I ditched Blue Apron when it went public and started cutting corners on ingredients. TBH sometimes I do add additional seasonings to my recipes but I'm a pretty awesome cook so I always have everything on hand. I mostly do the box because it's 3 meals I don't have to plan or shop for and all 4 of us eat very differently from one another.
My experience with them has been declining over the last few months. I missed a box entirely last week. Like, it just never arrived. They rectified it by paying for my next one entirely, but that didn't solve the problem of needing to get groceries or fast food for an entire week (IMO I should have been credited for TWO boxes, but that's just me). They use FedEx for my delivery here. They are quick to credit your account for missing or rotten ingredients though.

I just haven't been impressed with the recipes as of late. It seems to be the same handful of things over and over. HelloFresh has a gourmet meal they offer for a very slight upcharge which includes things like duck breast, barramundi, or lobster. Unlike Plated, it does appear they charge a bit extra for steak or scallops, but it's negligible considering the plates are less than Plated. I'll give them a try for a month and see how it goes.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Is this on Netflix? I hope it's not a book because that would require me to, you know, read.
It is a book. But they have it on tape. We listened to it in the car on our trip. If you had to actually read it, it may not be as good. Listening though it was amazing.

Planit

Cyburbian
There's a discussion on the planning listserve here concerning horse campgrounds.

I really want to post a comment about wanting to see horses putting their tent up or building a fire for making smores but I am refraining since it is a 'professional' body.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
My experience with them has been declining over the last few months. I missed a box entirely last week. Like, it just never arrived. They rectified it by paying for my next one entirely, but that didn't solve the problem of needing to get groceries or fast food for an entire week (IMO I should have been credited for TWO boxes, but that's just me). They use FedEx for my delivery here. They are quick to credit your account for missing or rotten ingredients though.

I just haven't been impressed with the recipes as of late. It seems to be the same handful of things over and over. HelloFresh has a gourmet meal they offer for a very slight upcharge which includes things like duck breast, barramundi, or lobster. Unlike Plated, it does appear they charge a bit extra for steak or scallops, but it's negligible considering the plates are less than Plated. I'll give them a try for a month and see how it goes.
With my missing box they refunded it and gave me a 50% credit off the next one.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Last summer I took the family to Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum near Dayton. They had an exhibit featuring all of the historic Air Force One's. The exhibit is probably no longer going on, but it was cool to see them. President Johnson had more Air Force Ones than any other POTUS; he not only had the Kennedy AF1 but had a small brush hopper that he used when flying between Dallas airport and his ranch. Most memorable to me was Columbine II, which was Eisenhower's AF1. It was interesting because although it was the President's personal plane, it was by todays standards a rather spartan affair.
I agree. It is a great exhibit and I'm pretty sure it's a permanent exhibit as the hangar its in was specifically built for those planes.

We visited this past March (though we'ed been there many times when we lived in the Dayton area) and I particularly liked the Missile Gallery. That was super cool to be so close to such objects that you usually just see at a great distance.

AG74683

Cyburbian
With my missing box they refunded it and gave me a 50% credit off the next one.
I didn't get that. I probably would have been fine with that too and don't think I would have seriously investigated switching.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Yea... I've been there before ;) It is a pretty great museum. It is free too!

DVD

Cyburbian
YES! dvd comes through.

I ssoooooo much want to post this on the listserve!
So create a fake name and post it? I'm guessing they have standards, but they let you on didn't they.

So if you're writing a PUD/PAD (whatever you call them in your parts) and your basing it on a single site plan...make sure that your site plan and landscape setbacks match so I don't reject it.

Dumbass.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I get more done when listening to piano jazz than any other music. Why doesn't Spotify or Amazon Music have a good piano jazz station?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I've been to Wright Patterson before, but it 25 years and several; states ago. I've also tour battleships in San Diego, Mobile and Corpus Christi.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've been to Wright Patterson before, but it 25 years and several; states ago. I've also tour battleships in San Diego, Mobile and Corpus Christi.
We went on a family trip to Disneyworld in 1975 and notably made a stop on the way down at Wright Patterson to see the museum. I'm morally certain a big reason we went there was because it was free. You'd have to know my father to understand this. It was two very different experiences visiting the museum as a child and again more than 40 years later as an adult. I extracted a whole lot more information as an adult but it was a lot more 'fun' as a kid if you know what I mean.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I get more done when listening to piano jazz than any other music. Why doesn't Spotify or Amazon Music have a good piano jazz station?
Ah...um...limited audience size? Kids these days just don't appreciate some good piano jazz.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I swear, millennials are ruining everything.... ;)
I know. Right?

Those damn adults (19-35 year olds) are just the worst.

Or

Piano jazz, in general, is insufferable.

I can't be conclusive on which yet as I have not fully run the calcs on this equation.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I know. Right?

Those damn adults (19-35 year olds) are just the worst.

Or

Piano jazz, in general, is insufferable.

I can't be conclusive on which yet as I have not fully run the calcs on this equation.
Yep. Gotta be the first one. I mean the second one is just blasphemy. Piano jazz is by definition the best type of jazz, which by definition is one of the better types of music.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm more of a blues man than a jazz man which means you need a guitar and/or harmonica.

AG74683

Cyburbian
We had a call to respond to a house with "gas odor". There was no gas leak, but the toilet was leaking all over. The supply line had cracked at the toilet tank connection. I turned their water off and told them how to fix it. I know the man who lives there is elderly and IIRC he may actually be in the hospital or a retirement home. That was the only restroom in their house, and it was an older lady and two young women.

I think I have a short supply line at my house that I bought accidentally, or at least an extra one somewhere that may work. I'm going to look for it at lunch and go by there after work and fix it for them. EDIT* I definitely returned the metal supply line, I know that for sure. I think I have an older silicone one though.

Last edited:

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I swear, millennials are ruining everything.... ;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I planted a half dozen blueberry bushes about 5 years ago. At first we got just enough berries to put on top of your cereal a few times, then we got enough to make blueberry pancakes. Now this year I'd estimate we've got just shy of two quarts coming in!

Reactions: kms