• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The internet is out here, which means the phones are out. I’m ok with that.
Spoken like a true (fellow) introvert.

We had a call to respond to a house with "gas odor". There was no gas leak, but the toilet was leaking all over. The supply line had cracked at the toilet tank connection. I turned their water off and told them how to fix it. I know the man who lives there is elderly and IIRC he may actually be in the hospital or a retirement home. That was the only restroom in their house, and it was an older lady and two young women.

I think I have a short supply line at my house that I bought accidentally, or at least an extra one somewhere that may work. I'm going to look for it at lunch and go by there after work and fix it for them. EDIT* I definitely returned the metal supply line, I know that for sure. I think I have an older silicone one though.
That's nice of you to offer to do that.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just came back from a luncheon for women's leadership and the speaker sold her 30 year PR firm to go back to law school at 61... I'm just sitting here happy to be workin…

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I have to share. This guy is not only parked left to curb but he is treating a parallel space as a diagonal space. He is blocking half of the travel lane. The ironic thing is he is in front of our infamous DWI and traffic attorney probably taking care of a traffic offense of some type.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I have to share. This guy is not only parked left to curb but he is treating a parallel space as a diagonal space. He is blocking half of the travel lane. The ironic thing is he is in front of our infamous DWI and traffic attorney probably taking care of a traffic offense of some type.

View attachment 24723
That's when you really need a friend on the police force you can call to quickly issue a bunch of spite parking tickets.

Bubba

Cyburbian

View attachment 24723
About 15 years ago the firm I worked for was in a six-story suburban office building - the best parking spaces were a group of nine at the front of the lot that tended to fill up by 7:15 AM (and I generally snagged one of them)...came in one morning to find a Ferrari blocking three or four of those nine spaces. Building management sent an e-mail to all of the tenants around 8 AM with a general notification that any car that was double (or more) parked would be towed at 9 AM...the offending car was relocated around 8:30 to a single space at the far end of the lot.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
My assigned space in the county lot is the forward of 3 parallel parking spots up against a retaining wall. There is a row of typical right angle parking spots to the left of us. The woman that parks in the spot directly to the left of me complained to security that I park too far out of my space so she can't get out sometimes. The security guard walked her over to my car, showed her that I was evenly between all the lines of my space, and told her that she needed to improve her driving skills because he'd seen me maneuver out of my spot with a 3 point turn and not come close to hitting anything.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I forget the context, but we once had a developer in front of the Plan Commission say that "the only wilderness my engineers have ever seen is an unstriped parking lot".

:p
That's a good line.

I'm logging it for future use.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I like to park in my space. I don't like it when people park too close to my space. It is my space.

So my answer is now no, because I have to leave. Which means you all have to carry the weight. Which, although I love you all, I don't know if I think you can handle.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The best, um, parkers in the world I think are the Japanese. They consider the act of parking properly to be an essential courtesy. And if you know anything about the Japanese they take their courtesy very seriously.

You can look at random parking lots in Japan and not only will you find almost universal perfect alignment where parking is striped, but you will find probably the majority of vehicles in parking lots will be backed in. Like this.

Think I cherry picked that one? Well I didn't. Here, see for yourself and randomly look at parking in the randomly chosen city of Takamatsu. I haven't, but I'm pretty confident you'll see what I'm talking about after looking at a few parking lots.

DVD

Cyburbian
What are those 3 meter parking spaces? Anyone can park in that. Cut it down to a 2.5 meter space and see if they're so courteous after that.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Meanwhile in your town:

An interesting aside....note how the dog statue's face has been blurred out. We must protect his anonymity, after all. I assume all the faces on google earth are blurred out automatically based on facial recognition software without humans making each and every individual decision about which faces to blur or not. Which also raises questions about where they set the bar for 'face' if a fiberglass dog visage registers as a human face.

Planit

Cyburbian
So both of the animals are shown to have stepped on a thorn or similar with their front right paw - while the parrot laughs at them...

DVD

Cyburbian
Kids spent a weekend at their uncles. He lives out in the middle of nowhere AZ. Not to be confused with the city of Nowhere. They got to drive a golf cart shoot BB guns and a shot gun go fishing. The wife is "thrilled" (sarcasm). Going out to pick them up yesterday I got to see great things like the funeral home right next to the really bad double platform driving range that just wacks balls out into the desert and the Society for Creation Science.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well I attempted to do my good deed, but no one lives in that house (as I suspected). No one was there. The supply line I had was too long anyway and may have created more issues than it solved.

Does anyone take daily vitamins? Are they worth it?

Last edited:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Anyone else taking advantage of Amazon Prime Day?

I just placed an order for 1 thing for Hubby, 1 thing for me, and 1 thing for us. I think I covered all my bases and will now quit looking at deals.

This order does not include anything from anyone's wish list.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
About Amazon - internal email from IT -

Please note that cyber security sources have identified at least one phishing tool has been updated to target Amazon accounts. To minimize our risk, work computers should never be used for Amazon shopping.

When using your personal devices make sure to verify emails related to Amazon shopping and to use good cyber practices. Be especially skeptical of links provided in emails. Rather than using links in emails go directly to the Amazon site instead. And never provide your user name/password through a link in an email mentioning “security concerns” with your account.

kms

Cyburbian

I just placed an order for 1 thing for Hubby, 1 thing for me, and 1 thing for us. I think I covered all my bases and will now quit looking at deals.

For some reason, I had a $10 credit from Whole Foods, so I ordered something.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I resisted taking vitamins for a long time. Between the now ex fiancé and parents, I've started taking them plus a calcium supplement. I'm still leery of the fad stuff. American has a long history of medical quackery and health fads.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I pretty much have always taken a general multivitamin - added a couple of other supplements (potassium, calcium) over the past few years as suggested by my physician to counter some long-term side effects from maintenance medication I'm on.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I resisted taking vitamins for a long time. Between the now ex fiancé and parents, I've started taking them plus a calcium supplement. I'm still leery of the fad stuff. American has a long history of medical quackery and health fads.
Apparently subscription companies exist for vitamins. I looked at two yesterday. Both have a fairly in depth questionnaire that determines recommended vitamins to take. One had weird quack looking stuff I'd never heard of. The other recommended stuff I'd heard of before, and has the backing of a panel of doctors and licensed nutritionists. The price doesn't seem that unreasonable. Around 70 dollars for 28 days worth. I thought about giving it a try for a month with the discount they offered and see what works and what doesn't.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

I ordered some deodorant and face scrub. I noticed I was running low on both this morning so I made the order not even realizing it was Prime Day. Just now I logged back in and scrolled through a few pages of the Prime Day Deals and found nothing I really wanted or needed so I don't really plan to take advantage of anything more. If I were in the market for another watch though, they've got a pretty good deal on the orange Seiko Samurai (it was down to $262 earlier today, but even at $299, that's a pretty good price for a very solid automatic movement in a classic dive watch).

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We're getting ready to head to court for one of our problem properties. No advance discussion with our attorneys:rolleyes:

dw914er

Cyburbian
I'm more of a blues man than a jazz man which means you need a guitar and/or harmonica.
There was a local reoccurring event that was looking for jazzy type bands to provide background music to support the event. I offered my band as an option, which is blues band complete with harmonica, to someone working on the events as a option. The lead for the event apparently had some strong views on the entertainment, and did not think blues was suitable thinking that it is not nearly as classy of a musical genre.

They ended up with an almost smooth jazz-esq type band instead (not quite jazz, not quite fusion either). I've played in jazz bands before, and thought the music selection was odd given the specific opinions the event lead had.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Well that probably means they don't expect any issues...maybe? Hopefully?
Default judgment to us as he was a no show. Still, I would prefer we have at least a few minutes in private to touch base with our attorneys. I hate to not look prepared on the stand/under oath.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
A good pen will make filling out paperwork a million times better.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The gig is up!

For years I've had my daughter convinced that the property with the 8' wrought iron fence, large stone building, and the landscaped earthen berm along the street on the far edge of our neighborhood was the entrance to a private community pool but that I'm too cheap to get us a membership. I made the mistake of introducing her to Google Maps, Google Earth, and our county aerial photography. She was looking at maps and photos of the neighborhood last night and now realizes that that property is really just an old fancy building for a water department pumping station and the rest of the property is an empty low-lying field for temporary storm runoff.

Next she's probably going to start questioning my story that unicorns are real but they only exist around Mt. Fuji in Japan (that's why it's sacred to the Japanese) and that someday I'll be able to find those photos I took of them when I spent that week at Camp Fuji!

Planit

Cyburbian
I had avoided hearing Baby Shark for all this time until this weekend when a Chrysler Pacifica commercial played the damn thing.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Default judgment to us as he was a no show. Still, I would prefer we have at least a few minutes in private to touch base with our attorneys. I hate to not look prepared on the stand/under oath.
I hate that too, especially if they don't want you to highlight specific items but you do anyway.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I'm glad the Corps couldn't pin our HESCO barrier fail to anything the City did or did not do. The cause - basically unavoidable physics.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Decision paralysis by mid-management makes me want to yell "just make a freaking decision already!! OMG!!! It seriously does not have to be this complicated! And this topic was already decided three months ago, I don't want to waste time revisiting it again!!" :yell: :mad:

Grrrr.

The dark side cookies are calling my name.

DVD

Cyburbian
The gig is up!

For years I've had my daughter convinced that the property with the 8' wrought iron fence, large stone building, and the landscaped earthen berm along the street on the far edge of our neighborhood was the entrance to a private community pool but that I'm too cheap to get us a membership. I made the mistake of introducing her to Google Maps, Google Earth, and our county aerial photography. She was looking at maps and photos of the neighborhood last night and now realizes that that property is really just an old fancy building for a water department pumping station and the rest of the property is an empty low-lying field for temporary storm runoff.

Next she's probably going to start questioning my story that unicorns are real but they only exist around Mt. Fuji in Japan (that's why it's sacred to the Japanese) and that someday I'll be able to find those photos I took of them when I spent that week at Camp Fuji!
You are so screwed when she figures out the interwebs have answers to why Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny only show up one day a year when they could team up with Jack Frost and Tooth Fairy to do year round events.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
You are so screwed when she figures out the interwebs have answers to why Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny only show up one day a year when they could team up with Jack Frost and Tooth Fairy to do year round events.
If I was more creative I'd come up with a crowd-sourced website that has fake "scholarly" articles, complete with pictures and sources, of all the stories I've told my kids. I'd call it Dadopedia and allow other storytellers to contribute and edit articles.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Savage had a pretty good show on NBC called Working that only lasted about a season and a half back in the late '90s. I always wish I could find that on reruns somewhere.
Also a very recent good, if short lived, show on Fox - The Grinder

It was a pretty decent family of lawyers workplace comedy with excellent acting ringers playing the main character

AG74683

Cyburbian
I enjoy Fred Savage. Just like as a guy.
Me too. I hope his new show works out. The premise is weird enough to actually be watchable for something on main stream cable.

Ben Savage also seems like a nice guy. There is a sister, but she never really acted in much so I know nothing about her.

Also, I am post 4,000.