• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Me too. I hope his new show works out. The premise is weird enough to actually be watchable for something on main stream cable.

Ben Savage also seems like a nice guy. There is a sister, but she never really acted in much so I know nothing about her.

Also, I am post 4,000.
What, no balloons, confetti and the such?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Also a very recent good, if short lived, show on Fox - The Grinder

It was a pretty decent family of lawyers workplace comedy with excellent acting ringers playing the main character
My wife and I both really enjoyed The Grinder. We were sad when it was cancelled so quickly.

Our DVR doesn't automatically remove scheduled series recordings even when they are cancelled so sometimes I like to scroll through them and look at all the shows my wife and I enjoyed that got cancelled after a season or two. :cry:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Where are the numbers JNA? We beat last year already right? ;)

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Anyone else taking advantage of Amazon Prime Day?

I just placed an order for 1 thing for Hubby, 1 thing for me, and 1 thing for us. I think I covered all my bases and will now quit looking at deals.

This order does not include anything from anyone's wish list.
I got a new hard drive for the kids PS4. I got tired of always deleting items and games from their hard drive.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
One of the best things I've ever bought. The exterior hard drive option is great.
I decided to go with a new interior hybrid SSD/HDD. I am sure my gf would not be happy to see more "things" on the console table.

Planit

Cyburbian
If I was more creative I'd come up with a crowd-sourced website that has fake "scholarly" articles, complete with pictures and sources, of all the stories I've told my kids. I'd call it Dadopedia and allow other storytellers to contribute and edit articles.

How she became a Dragonslayer to get rid of monsters under her bed
Clouds bumping together is what makes thunder sounds
If you pick your nose, your finger sometimes can get stuck

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'm thinking about buying a 1962 Chrysler 300 for sale locally. Any reason why I shouldn't make this terrible decision?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Where are the numbers JNA? We beat last year already right? ;)
We are ahead of many years; only behind 3 years.

Random Thought Progress Report

---------------1000, _2000, _3000, _4000,_5000, _6000,_7000,_8000, _9,000,_10K,_11K, _12K, Closing #
#14 - 2019 - 02-12, 04-05, 05-24, 07-15
#13 - 2018 - 03-16, 05-31, 08-10, 11-05, 12-31, 5,115
#12 - 2017 - 02-28, 05-23, 08-24, 11-28, 12-29, 5,096
#11 - 2016 - 02-09, 03-23, 05-12, 07-01, 08-18,10-12, 12-07, 12-31, 8,072
#10 - 2015 - 02-06, 04-06, 06-15, 08-14, 10-01, 11-29, 12-30, 12-31, 12-31, 9,570
# 9 -- 2014 - 01-31, 03-12, 05-21, 08-09, 10-21, 12-11, 12-30, 12-31, 12-31, 9,291
# 8 -- 2013 - 01-18, 02-12, 03-22, 04-22, 05-17, 06-20, 07-30, 09-16, 11-13, 12-19, 12-31, 12-31, 12,050
# 7 -- 2012 - 02-23, 05-12, 07-10, 09-12, 11-06, 12-06, 12-28, 12-31, 12-31, 9,327
# 6 -- 2011 - 02-25, 04-12, 05-26, 06-30, 08-10, 10-05, 12-05, 12-31, 8,041
# 5 -- 2010 - 03-04, 05-09, 07-26, 09-22, 11-24, 5,563
# 4 -- 2009 - 02-19, 04-24, 07-13, 10-07, 12-31, 5,004
# 3 -- 2008 - 04-04, 07-07, 09-23, 12-22, 4,085
# 2 -- 2007 - 03-10, 05-19, 07-24, 10-11, 4,862
adjusted by the 50 posts that were listed in #1 and posted on & after 01/01

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
APA election is occurring. Did everyone case their vote? :tired:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The Aouzou Strip! I've read about that a few times, along with the "Toyota War" and I still really have no idea what's going on.

On a related note, the no-mans lands along the Egypt-Sudan border and Western Sahara are pretty interesting ones. And I think the Ethiopia-Somalia border might be the longest disputed border in the world.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I'm thinking about buying a 1962 Chrysler 300 for sale locally. Any reason why I shouldn't make this terrible decision?
If it's "finisned" and you want it; buy it. There is not many of those around. There were around 25k of the 62 Chrysler 300 built most 2 dr and 4 dr hardtops. Check out aftermarket part availability. I know for my '67 mustang that I can find pretty much any part that I will ever need just by visiting a website or two; but it helps that there were over 400K built and they are typically saved and restored.

AG74683

Cyburbian
If it's "finisned" and you want it; buy it. There is not many of those around. There were around 25k of the 62 Chrysler 300 built most 2 dr and 4 dr hardtops. Check out aftermarket part availability. I know for my '67 mustang that I can find pretty much any part that I will ever need just by visiting a website or two; but it helps that there were over 400K built and they are typically saved and restored.
It looks factory new, at least from the pictures. Interior has been completely redone, and the pictures of the underside look flawless. It's a 4 door hard top, which from what I can find is probably the least desirable model. They made 10,030 of these. The most rare is the 4 door sedan at 1,801, but since this appears to be a pillarless version, I assume that it's the hard top model? It does not appear to have A/C but it does have power windows and power steering.

Only downside is that I'll be financing it, not an outright purchase. Realistically though, it's more of an investment than anything else. The value will only go up. I can either buy a newer used car for the same price that I'll lose money on, or this and just make money. Win win I think.

Last edited:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
There are better ways to invest your money that don't involve coming up with storage space, insurance etc. And probably a better ROI.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
What is the longest you have sent your kid to camp? A week? Two weeks? The whole summer?

Just wondering if anyone else has done this.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
It looks factory new, at least from the pictures. Interior has been completely redone, and the pictures of the underside look flawless. It's a 4 door hard top, which from what I can find is probably the least desirable model. They made 10,030 of these. The most rare is the 4 door sedan at 1,801, but since this appears to be a pillarless version, I assume that it's the hard top model? It does not appear to have A/C but it does have power windows and power steering.

Only downside is that I'll be financing it, not an outright purchase. Realistically though, it's more of an investment than anything else. The value will only go up. I can either buy a newer used car for the same price that I'll lose money on, or this and just make money. Win win I think.
The only way you can make money by a buying a classic car is to trick a widow into selling their late husband's car for what the husbands told them that he had spent on the car, parts, and services preformed on the car; then selling it at market value.

Planit

Cyburbian
What is the longest you have sent your kid to camp? A week? Two weeks? The whole summer?

The Girl goes to camp for 4 weeks in July. Started @ 2 weeks when she was 5 (thanks to her aunt), then went to 3 weeks and now is 4 weeks. This is her 11th year and she is a counselor-in-training this year. PM me if you want more details.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Do you have somewhere to store it protected from the elements? There's no way I'd purchase a classic car if I didn't have a secure place to keep it out of the sun, rain, tree sap, etc. Also, if you would plan to register it as an antique/historic vehicle, make sure you check what that entails in NC. In some states, if you have historic plates there are limitations to how often/when you can legally drive it on the road.

FWIW, those old Chrysler 300s are pretty cool, especially '62 and later when they really tamed the tailfins. They were sort of comically large before that, but I know there are some folks who really dig that.

Our daughter is 8 (9 in a couple of weeks) and going into 4th grade. I really wanted to send her away to camp somewhere this summer for a week but my wife nixed that idea... maybe next year. I went to camp for a week a few summers starting when I was a bit older than her and I always enjoyed it. One of her friends is away at camp for 6 weeks! this summer... as a 9-year-old! Most of her friends who go away to camp just go for a week or two and they all largely go to the same camp. Our daughter actually asked about going to that camp this summer but it's a Jewish summer camp so she cannot go anyway. She was bummed.

The camp I used to go to was on property adjacent to the Jewish camp but was operated by the Episcopal diocese. Unfortunately, that camp closed down and the property was sold off a few years back.

My wife used to go to that camp that @Maister linked to and I know a lot of the parents near us who have slightly older kids than ours swear by that place.

AG74683

Cyburbian
There are better ways to invest your money that don't involve coming up with storage space, insurance etc. And probably a better ROI.
I'm not too worried about storage space (I have a 2 space carport with a vacant spot) and the insurance will be next to nothing.

The only way you can make money by a buying a classic car is to trick a widow into selling their late husband's car for what the husbands told them that he had spent on the car, parts, and services preformed on the car; then selling it at market value.
True, but I doubt I'll outright lose money on it as well. That said, it's a non-letter series 300. 1962 was the first year for these, and they were in kind of a weird market space. I guess they replaced the Chrysler Newport, but did NOT replace the 300 letter series (which was the H model in '62). So they were not the top of the line Chrysler 300 model in that year. They were sort of marketed as a "luxurious muscle car".

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member

2 weeks for our oldest and youngest - the middle child, nope, she was a homebody

Maine has a lot of one month and 2 month camps that basically cost a semester in college tuition, it's crazy but they fill up every year so they must be doing something right

We did 4H/UMaine away camps which were just as awesome and a lot cheaper - my oldest got a fencing scholarship to attend a high end one but we could never have afforded that otherwise

I think they are good for kids in his tiger-mom helicopter-parent world because it forces them to figure things out on their own and make their own friends and choosing activities on their own, etc. - my niece has gone all summer in the Adirondacks for years (moving up to counselor) and she's a very independent young woman now so I am sure my sister missed her but I think it pays off

AG74683

Cyburbian
Do you have somewhere to store it protected from the elements? There's no way I'd purchase a classic car if I didn't have a secure place to keep it out of the sun, rain, tree sap, etc. Also, if you would plan to register it as an antique/historic vehicle, make sure you check what that entails in NC. In some states, if you have historic plates there are limitations to how often/when you can legally drive it on the road.

FWIW, those old Chrysler 300s are pretty cool, especially '62 and later when they really tamed the tailfins. They were sort of comically large before that, but I know there are some folks who really dig that.
I have a covered carport for it. It's open on 3 sides, but I'm not too worried about that. I'll probably cover it for any longer term storage. It'll be parked to the far side against the exterior wall of the house.

It doesn't look like NC has any particularly difficult things about securing a historic plate. It just says that the vehicle "Must be inspected and photographed by the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles when being presented for first-time titling and registration" so I assume I'd need to schedule an appointment first. I don't think I'll get an antique plate for it though. That seems to indicate the primary use of the car is related to auto shows and the like. This will be a personal car.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I don't often listen to my string cheese. I assume it makes a very light tearing sound with a little bit of screaming.
No that is your heart when you cry. String Cheese screams and yells and pushes strangers.

Planit

Cyburbian
Who ordered anything on Prime?

We got a Ring doorbell bundled with an Echo dot (at least thanks what I think I ordered - it was the intent)
;)

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Who ordered anything on Prime?

We got a Ring doorbell bundled with an Echo dot (at least thanks what I think I ordered - it was the intent)
;)
I ordered 3 things yesterday, and according to my Track Packages option, they will be delivered today!

I looked again today over lunch, but nothing caught my eye.

AG74683

Cyburbian
If it's the Hemi, you have to do it!
It's got the 383. It's a non-letter series '62 (the first year they offered it). We may go take a look this weekend but after reviewing the pictures really closely there are some things that stand out. It's got some rust on the doors at the interior and on the door sill, and the valve covers have chipping paint. The paint looks to be the original color, but I think they pressure washed the engine and took the paint off. I think they did that because it has some blowby going on which left oil all over the engine compartment.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 weeks for our oldest and youngest - the middle child, nope, she was a homebody

Maine has a lot of one month and 2 month camps that basically cost a semester in college tuition, it's crazy but they fill up every year so they must be doing something right

We did 4H/UMaine away camps which were just as awesome and a lot cheaper - my oldest got a fencing scholarship to attend a high end one but we could never have afforded that otherwise

I think they are good for kids in his tiger-mom helicopter-parent world because it forces them to figure things out on their own and make their own friends and choosing activities on their own, etc. - my niece has gone all summer in the Adirondacks for years (moving up to counselor) and she's a very independent young woman now so I am sure my sister missed her but I think it pays off
I usually went for 2 weeks in a row during summer growing up. RT's idea of camping involved a chaise lounge by the pool. Bella is the ultimate homebody so that will not be in the cards for her. We have a beach house that we spend every weekend at and Bella really enjoys going to the beach, playing with other kids, and swimming in the bay. There's a yacht club in the town (it's not fancy or expensive) that offers summer sailing school for kids which I think might be of interest to her in another year or two.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Our internet is broken.

The home page for the organization comes up. However, if you try to view any department page, it asks for a login and password. And then it doesn't accept your login or password.

When I called it in to the Help Desk, I stumped the first layer of assistance. I've been bumped up to management!:nerd: I guess I was the first caller, but I bet now that more people are here, they are getting more calls.

Fun times.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
A coworker announced her retirement yesterday. She's been here 30+ years and she is the definition of "crazy cat lady" but she's awesome at her job and I honestly don't know how we will replace her. She was a landscape architect/planner for years but somehow turned her position into a full-time event planner for the past decade+ (we host a lot of events!). We don't have an official job classification for an event planner and it's so difficult to officially re-write job descriptions or make entirely new positions so I have a feeling that there is going to be some real infighting among the supervisors to fill this vacancy and there will be some growing pains as we lose all those professional contracts and institutional knowledge.

Also, I'm pretty sure spite plays a big role in why she's retiring now.

Planit

Cyburbian
Speaking of events, it looks like the non-profit service organization running the events/concerts in the town next door had a large disagreement with the management of the town next door. They will still hold the concert this Friday night, but have cancelled the last 2 or 3 shows.

The non-profit holds the ABC permits, mans the event (setup/breakdown), and pays for the bands through beer sales.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Our internet is broken.

The home page for the organization comes up. However, if you try to view any department page, it asks for a login and password. And then it doesn't accept your login or password.

When I called it in to the Help Desk, I stumped the first layer of assistance. I've been bumped up to management!:nerd: I guess I was the first caller, but I bet now that more people are here, they are getting more calls.

Fun times.
That happened to one of our internal sites a couple days ago. I realized that I could click on the link I wanted and it would take me to the link, then show the logon prompt again. I could X out of it and click on the next link. In other words, even though the prompt was showing up, I could ignore it and navigate to where I needed to go. It was weird.

Top Bottom