• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
When something goes wrong, it suddenly becomes "Dan's project",

When everything is going right, it's "a group effort. You shouldn't be giving yourself so much credit."

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Jimmy Buffet is coming to my fair city, was curious about ticket prices.

Tickets in the front, center section cost $1,750 apiece.

WTF! That's the highest ticket price I've ever seen, for a regular ole' concert.

MD Planner

Cyburbian

WTF! That's the highest ticket price I've ever seen, for a regular ole' concert.
We parrotheads are a strange breed. I'd pay that to be up front if I could afford it. Just once. I will be attending my 98th and 99th Jimmy Buffett shows next month. But I'm typically just on the lawn. There were some crazy prices on the Stones tour this year.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
When something goes wrong, it suddenly becomes "Dan's project",

When everything is going right, it's "a group effort. You shouldn't be giving yourself so much credit."
Not many posts call out for papyrus font, but this one clearly does.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

What. The. Fug.

We went to see Willie Nelson a few years ago at Artpark. Front section, slightly stage left: I think maybe $150 a piece. Anyhow, my wife got Willie's autograph. No, not on her chest.

Hink

OH....IO
I wouldn't pay $1,750 for a ticket to see anyone. Maybe dead rock bands, IF they came back to life.

Well probably to have great seats at a Paul McCartney concert. He would have to play Hey Jude as the closer though.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I don't think I'd pay $1750 to see a resurrected John Lennon and George Harrison performing with Paul McCartney and Ringo!

kjel

Super Moderator
I wouldn't pay $1,750 for a ticket to see anyone. Maybe dead rock bands, IF they came back to life.

Well probably to have great seats at a Paul McCartney concert. He would have to play Hey Jude as the closer though.
Pretty much. I always wanted to see U2 live but their ticket prices were crazy. I saw they were playing a tour a couple years ago and noticed they were playing Bonnaroo and tickets were $200 each for the entire festival. Got right on that! RT and I road tripped to Tennessee, camped out, and had a great time at the festival. I was probably one of the oldest people there but I did not care. The entire lineup was great from start to finish.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You know how old-timey English loved to hyphenate compound two-syllable words like "to-day", "to-night", "base-ball", "air-plane", and the like? In a lot of old-timey newspaper articles, reports, meeting minutes, and the like, I'm finding that old-timey people used the definite article with street names, and didn't capitalize the suffix. Something like:

2019: Main Street
1899: the Main street

2019: Elmwood Avenue
1899: the Elmwood avenue (I've even see "the Elmwood-avenue" in print.)

I wonder when folks stopped doing this. In my research, I've seen a progression: "the Name street", "Name street", and finally "Name Street".

DVD

Cyburbian
I don't think I'd pay $1750 to see a resurrected John Lennon and George Harrison performing with Paul McCartney and Ringo!
I'm now interested in seeing zombie John and George. The question will be the encore. Will they play Thriller even though it's not one of theirs? That is of course saying their arm doesn't fall off mid performance.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
You know how old-timey English loved to hyphenate compound two-syllable words like "to-day", "to-night", "base-ball", "air-plane", and the like? In a lot of old-timey newspaper articles, reports, meeting minutes, and the like, I'm finding that old-timey people used the definite article with street names, and didn't capitalize the suffix. Something like:

2019: Main Street
1899: the Main street

2019: Elmwood Avenue
1899: the Elmwood avenue (I've even see "the Elmwood-avenue" in print.)

I wonder when folks stopped doing this. In my research, I've seen a progression: "the Name street", "Name street", and finally "Name Street".
And yet it appears others have gone full circle

1563452980284.png

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Friends ended in 2004 but they never once mentioned 9/11. That is weird right?
I for one am glad they did not. I hope they used up all the heavy-handed sitcom moralizing on M*A*SH. When I see a sitcom I want to laugh, not experience grief or outrage.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
There was a story I saw not too long ago that they had to re shoot a deleted scene of Chandler joking about a bomb in an airport and it was supposed to be shown the day or two maybe after 9/11 - so they decided with that move to deal by not dealing

Planit

Cyburbian
For some reason a lemon poundcake is great for breakfast - other cakes too so there ya go.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I for one am glad they did not. I hope they used up all the heavy-handed sitcom moralizing on M*A*SH. When I see a sitcom I want to laugh, not experience grief.
I can watch M*A*SH a episode or two at a time but that's it. It is/was too real or at least for me to watch more than that at one time. It's the medical aspect of the show not the war aspect. Now, I like McHale's Navy but it was zany and not as realistic. But with MASH, you knew what to expect. The seriousness didn't sneak up on you unlike Growing Pains, where you're laughing at Seaver family antics and next thing you know Sandy (Mathew Perry) dies in a self-inflicted drunk driving accident. Maybe this is why Friends avoided 9/11....

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
The seriousness didn't sneak up on you unlike Growing Pains, where you're laughing at Seaver family antics and next thing you know Sandy (Mathew Perry) dies in a self-inflicted drunk driving accident.
Very much a common component of 1980's sitcoms.

Like - Greg Dies from Family Ties

DVD

Cyburbian
In the very special episode of Cyburbia LP continues praising a hack quarterback and Maister is killed by a frenzied citizen, played by Jack Lord, that demanded to put a tiny home in their garage and rent it out because they were bringing tax dollars to the city.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Maister's death hits the group hard, even though they admire Jack Lord's hair because they are human, after all. DVD vows revenge. Hink keeps his secret.....but at a price.

What would we do, Baby? Without us?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

It seems like it was soooo much more common on sitcoms in the '80s and '90s than it is these days. My wife and watch a lot of sitcoms together and it seems so rare (compared to the past) that the sitcoms get heavy that when they do, I usually have to pause the TV and turn to her and use a solemn TV announcer voice to say, "Tonight, on a very special American Housewife..." or "Tonight, on a very special Brooklyn Nine Nine..."

I seem to recall the networks really digging into the "very special" trope back in the '80s and '90s.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Speaking of events, it looks like the non-profit service organization running the events/concerts in the town next door had a large disagreement with the management of the town next door. They will still hold the concert this Friday night, but have cancelled the last 2 or 3 shows.

The non-profit holds the ABC permits, staffs the event (setup/breakdown), and pays for the bands through beer sales.

Fixed that for you.

Veloise

Cyburbian

I'm due for my third viewing of "Yesterday." This time I'll watch to see if his bike lights go out with the rest of the planet (not a spoiler).

Yesterday bike lights.png

While I wasn't a huge Beatles fan, I appreciated them for serving as inspiration for the Monkees. And this flick ... it's very clever with references to the Beatles films "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help!" as well as many details in the props and back-camera action.

Here's some B-reel.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Since my wife and I recently binged watched Friends during our late nights with a newborn, we noticed that every episode for that season that was filmed after 9/11 had a lot of new added details: characters frequently wearing NYFD shirts, an American Flag in Joey's apartment, and other little random but silent signs of solidarity. The show never really touched on key political events, so the outward acknowledgement would probably have been out of place.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Since my wife and I recently binged watched Friends during our late nights with a newborn, we noticed that every episode for that season that was filmed after 9/11 had a lot of new added details: characters frequently wearing NYFD shirts, an American Flag in Joey's apartment, and other little random but silent signs of solidarity. The show never really touched on key political events, so the outward acknowledgement would probably have been out of place.
I was reading some articles about it and that's exactly how the producers and writers felt. It was never a topical show. Their decision was just as you said, to place new details like that. Now that I'm reading about it, I definitely agree with that position.

Friends is still a good show, even 25 years after its debut. I don't think there are many shows on right now, or recently, that will be talked about like that. The Big Bang Theory lasted a long time, but I don't think it will be fondly remembered.

Planit

Cyburbian
So my car got flooded while parked at work yesterday. Nothing like trying to field calls from insurance agencies, tow trucks, and a freaked out SO while doing a sterile procedure on a sick kid.
Damn girl that sucks! Sorry to hear that. At least now you know you can concentrate on a clinical procedure while overly stressed if that helps.

My brothers car got flooded out last year. Insurance just totaled it out, too many electrical gremlins can appear plus a host of other problems.

I understand VW SportWagens and Alltreks can be had for a very good price since they are being discontinued.

• Sad
Reactions: Dan

Big Owl

Cyburbian

I had never really thought about it till now but it was very common. It was common enough that there is a wikipedia page about "very special episode". I did learn that it was illegal to sell bootleg recordings from a episode of What's Happening, the Doobie Brothers appeared in that episode. Does that count as a very special episode.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Damn girl that sucks! Sorry to hear that. At least now you know you can concentrate on a clinical procedure while overly stressed if that helps.

My brothers car got flooded out last year. Insurance just totaled it out, too many electrical gremlins can appear plus a host of other problems.

I understand VW SportWagens and Alltreks can be had for a very good price since they are being discontinued.
The car still started so not sure they will total it. We've only had this car about a year. Ugh.

Our other car is in the shop today for rust related to a leak. They gave us a 2019 Pilot as a loaner. I may not give it back!

AG74683

Cyburbian
That's a shame too, they are pretty cool looking cars.

The car still started so not sure they will total it. We've only had this car about a year. Ugh.

Our other car is in the shop today for rust related to a leak. They gave us a 2019 Pilot as a loaner. I may not give it back!
It would suck for that car not to be totaled. Floods do a lot of damage to a car, much of it will take a long time to develop. I'm sure my dad's old Subaru he got from Carmax years ago was flooded at some point. The seat belt bolts were rusty, it had issues with corrosion at the wheels, and the underside had a lot of rust to the point where heat shielding and exhaust mounts were breaking off. That was like a 2008 car and this was maybe 2013 when everything started to happen.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I showed my wife -- a native of Los Angeles -- a bunch of Californians sketches. She LOVED them, and said the directions and landmarks are actually accurate! Her major beef -- they're too Westside oriented. Yes, she uses the definite article for freeway/expressway route numbers.

9dd70dd1bc9fad197f2206a72ae5f96a.jpg

We Buffalonians do it too. The city's new resident guide even describes it.

Screenshot_2019-07-18 ReloGuide-UPDATE-07_20_17_web pdf.png

Bubba

Cyburbian
Received an invite today to the wedding reception for one of my cousins in early September (the wedding itself will be a very small ceremony at his fiance's parents' house)...both the wedding and the subsequent larger reception will be in Da Nang, Vietnam. That's, ah, a bit random...

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Received an invite today to the wedding reception for one of my cousins in early September (the wedding itself will be a very small ceremony at his fiance's parent's house)...both the wedding and the subsequent larger reception will be in Da Nang, Vietnam. That's, ah, a bit random...
I can't hear the name 'Da Nang' without thinking about....

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Received an invite today to the wedding reception for one of my cousins in early September (the wedding itself will be a very small ceremony at his fiance's parent's house)...both the wedding and the subsequent larger reception will be in Da Nang, Vietnam. That's, ah, a bit random...
I can't hear the name 'Da Nang' without thinking about....

@Maister must be pretty Old Corps because this is what I think of when I hear somebody mention Da Nang:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I showed my wife -- a native of Los Angeles -- a bunch of Californians sketches. She LOVED them, and said the directions and landmarks are actually accurate! Her major beef -- they're too Westside oriented. Yes, she uses the definite article for freeway/expressway route numbers.

View attachment 24732

We Buffalonians do it too. The city's new resident guide even describes it.

View attachment 24733
In the part of the Midwest I grew up in, we did the same. it was the Elm or Oak Road. It took me a long time to lose that.

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
@Maister must be pretty Old Corps because this is what I think of when I hear somebody mention Da Nang:

In fairness to Maister, Vietnam pretty much infused our childhood. We saw it on the nightly news. My dad relates the story of when I was small, when Nam stories came on the news, I pretty much ran from room. To this day, I'm not a big fan of war movies.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I put out a fire on the side of the road today. Regular work clothes are NOT cut out for that activity. I look like I fell into a pool.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I am all alone until Sunday. :D

Girls night out happy hour planned - check.
Netflix and Hulu time with shows that aren't animated or consist primarily of aliens, talking creatures, or superheroes/villains - check
Sleep - check
Hiking - check
Reading a book with no children interrupting me every two minutes - check
And side bonus - I won tickets to see Nathanial Rateliff and the Nightsweats this Saturday, so that'll be fun.

Going to recharge my batteries before we all pile into one vehicle and drive for 10 hours to spend a week with my family next week! o_O

Top Bottom