• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I probably own about ten watches (between ones I had and ones I inherited from my father), but I don't think I've actually worn one in at least ten years.
I had stopped wearing one myself. The now ex fiancee got me one as gift and have been wearing one since. I had gotten use to digital so I had to relearn how to tell time with analogue.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Why don't they sell individually wrapped cream cheese slices? Like, I get that it's generally a "spreadable" cheese, but that's a pain and you have to dirty a knife to do it. It's not efficient.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had stopped wearing one myself. The now ex fiancee got me one as gift and have been wearing one since. I had gotten use to digital so I had to relearn how to tell time with analogue.
Bella is learning how to tell time using an analog clock. I have one with roman numerals at the beach house and she asked me how I knew what time it was because there were no numbers on the clock. I told her the Romans used letters instead of numbers and wrote them out for her up to 20.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I was reading about cognitive testing recently. One of the tests they do is have folks fill out numbers on a blank clock. Apparently there's a fairly high percentage of folks that have difficulty doing this.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Bella is learning how to tell time using an analog clock. I have one with roman numerals at the beach house and she asked me how I knew what time it was because there were no numbers on the clock. I told her the Romans used letters instead of numbers and wrote them out for her up to 20.
Having had to sit through 2-3 years of high school Latin, I did learn how to use Roman system. It's one of the things that stuck with me.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Why don't they sell individually wrapped cream cheese slices? Like, I get that it's generally a "spreadable" cheese, but that's a pain and you have to dirty a knife to do it. It's not efficient.
This would take a lot of my money. Like a NY schmear pre-made? Man that is a million dollar idea.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
This would take a lot of my money. Like a NY schmear pre-made? Man that is a million dollar idea.
I don't know how one would get the same nice texture of spread cream cheese, though.

I'm picturing something more like a Kraft single in order for it to separate cleanly from it's packaging, which is decidedly not the texture we all love about cream cheese.

Honestly, AG and Hink do you really want to announce a certain amount of laziness to the interwebs? Do you? :D

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I don't know how one would get the same nice texture of spread cream cheese, though.

I'm picturing sometime more like a Kraft single in order for it to separate cleanly from it's packaging, which is decidedly not the texture we all love about cream cheese.

Honestly, AG and Hink do you really want to announce a certain amount of laziness to the interwebs? Do you? :D
Okay so maybe it is just for when you get a bagel-cream cheese-bagel combo sandwich style. So then it is like a kraft single with plastic around it?

The texture would be tough to figure out though, as frozen / hard cream cheese is the worst.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
They would almost certainly have to add sodium alginate to increase viscosity in the manufacture of the cheese 'product', but I expect you probably had already guessed that.

1565274077722.png

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We usually pay $1 to participate in our office casual day program to wear jeans on Thursday and Friday. The county just sent around an email announcing that it is going to be free through Labor Day and I thought "SWEET! I'll save a few bucks this summer." Then I realized that Labor Day is less than a month away. This summer has gone by too fast... it probably doesn't help that it feels like a perfect fall day outside today - maybe 74º, no humidity, slightly overcast, and I can smell the wood burning fire from the BBQ place at the farmer's market next door.

I actually like that idea! Laughing Cow has those little foil wrapped triangles of soft cheese, why not cream cheese too? FWIW, I've discovered that cream cheese is great as part of a grilled cheese sandwich.

DVD

Cyburbian
I am not feeling up to working today. This cheese discussion is much more fascinating. Maybe they could do like a little wedge of cream cheese with a plastic thing to spread it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Seriously? No one is going to call me out for posting that sophistic-sounding sh** about sodium alginate? Like, what the hell do you know about food additives, Maister?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I'm just having a random thought here, but ....

If a house has to have a Finished Floor Elevation two feet above the regulatory flood profile, let's say 500'-0" NGVD for argument's sake where the regulatory flood is 498'-0" NGVD, and sea level is rising, wouldn't that make the two foot elevation requirement obsolete? With global climate change and sea level rise, should it now be 4' or 6' or 8' or even more?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

If a house has to have a Finished Floor Elevation two feet above the regulatory flood profile, let's say 500'-0" NGVD for argument's sake where the regulatory flood is 498'-0" NGVD, and sea level is rising, wouldn't that make the two foot elevation requirement obsolete? With global climate change and sea level rise, should it now be 4' or 6' or 8' or even more?
Wouldn't that depend on the location of the flood plain? I mean a 2' rise in sea level might be catastrophic for Miami, but wouldn't necessarily impact folks living near a river, say, in Minnesota.

DVD

Cyburbian
It just means you have to adjust your maps for climate change. You up the base flood elevation, but there are some that do it by raising the freeboard. I believe some communities are already doing that.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member

Insurance companies are starting to randomly ask that question, finally - when the banks start to question a 30 year mortgage on a house that may not exist in the future, then you might get some attention

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Like, what the hell do you know about food additives, Maister?
We take it as 'likely Maister knows this type of thing, so sounds about right."

As it's perfectly acceptable here in our community to assume you'd have this type of trivia(l) knowledge before the rest of us.

Your day job is a mid-level city planner for an average third tier metro suburb, but we all know you're much more than that.

AG74683

Cyburbian
They would almost certainly have to add sodium alginate to increase viscosity in the manufacture of the cheese 'product', but I expect you probably had already guessed that.
Naturally.

I think there is a difference between the block cream cheese and the tub "spreadable" cream cheese. Think about it, when you buy block cream cheese and keep it in the fridge, it's generally fairly firm and isn't exactly the most spreadable thing. That's why most recipes using block cream cheese mention it needs to be "softened". I think the spreadable ones have a little more air whipped into the finished product to make it spread easy. If they didn't do that, it would be fairly consistent, enough to use as a slice.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We take it as 'likely Maister knows this type of thing, so sounds about right."

Your day job is only a mid-level city planner for an average third tier metro suburb, but we all know you're much more than that.
Layers, man.

Now go google research the use/addition of sodium alginate in processed cheese and you'll find I was absolutely correct.

Like an onion, dude. ;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Naturally.

I think there is a difference between the block cream cheese and the tub "spreadable" cream cheese. Think about it, when you buy block cream cheese and keep it in the fridge, it's generally fairly firm and isn't exactly the most spreadable thing. That's why most recipes using block cream cheese mention it needs to be "softened". I think the spreadable ones have a little more air whipped into the finished product to make it spread easy. If they didn't do that, it would be fairly consistent, enough to use as a slice.
Good observation.

But there is still a fair amount of residue/stickiness between the block and the foil packaging when room temp that requires either fingers and/or a utensil to separate the two nicely.

Ok, if you don't mind licking a finger or two to get the cream cheese onto/into the food item being prepared.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
For some reason those foil wrapped Babybel (Laughing Cow) cheese wedges don't taste entirely like the types of cheese they're supposed to be. Maybe it's psychological.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Good observation.

But there is still a fair amount of residue/stickiness between the block and the foil packaging when room temp that requires either fingers and/or a utensil to separate the two.

Ok, if you don't mind licking finger or two to get the cream cheese onto/into the food item being prepared.
If you don't end up with at least some cream cheese on your fingers, you're not really using it right. But that's what I'm trying to avoid with the pre-wrapped cheese. I think the wrap can be designed similar to how they design the coverings for screen protectors for like phones and tablets. You don't put your fingers on that at all. I think if it had like two ends to pull you may be able to push the cheese out while turning the wrapper inside out.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
If you don't end up with at least some cream cheese on your fingers, you're not really using it right. But that's what I'm trying to avoid with the pre-wrapped cheese. I think the wrap can be designed similar to how they design the coverings for screen protectors for like phones and tablets. You don't put your fingers on that at all. I think if it had like two ends to pull you may be able to push the cheese out while turning the wrapper inside out.
Good idea. I think you (we) just solved the conception stage.

Now get out there and create the product and sell it on Shark Tank, as you've got more flexibility to devote the necessary time then us.

Though, each of us will be requiring at least .2% of your proceeds and/or licensing revenue in perpetuity. Just so it's on the record. :smirk:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Wouldn't that depend on the location of the flood plain? I mean a 2' rise in sea level might be catastrophic for Miami, but wouldn't necessarily impact folks living near a river, say, in Minnesota.
In the shorter term, yes, coastal cities such as New Orleans, let's say, are going to face immediate challenges. But that river in Minnesota is eventually going to drain into the Gulf of Mexico, which is drowning New Orleans because of sea level rise, right? Doesn't that then raise the regulatory flood elevation back up in our Minnesota town?

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yes, but FIRMS are mostly backwards looking not forward thinking.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Bad News: Who schedules an 8am meeting during the summer?
Good News: Coffee Bean is on the way to the office
Bad News: arrive at said coffee bean, and cal poly dance team is all there
Good News: Cal Poly dance team is all there

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
No, I don't operate a remote office for your commercial real estate firm, and it isn't my job to sugarcoat the potential permit and zoning compliance pitfalls your big $ development might face.

salty.jpg

Veloise

Cyburbian
If you cut off just the corner you can squeeze it out in a ribbon.
And roll up the intact end like a toothpaste tube to get it all.

Pro tip: apply product to edible surface, affix other edible surface. Rotate the top surface to spread the product.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I want to go into the library, use the card catalogue to identify the correct Dewey decimal number, and go over to the appropriate section of the bookshelves and select the book of my choosing. Then I would like to go to the front desk to check out, where the clerk will take my library card and stamp that number onto the borrower card which will list the book's due date.

But I can't do that anymore.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Just left a meeting regarding promotions within my department. I am in agreement with the 2 people that will be put forward for promotions - neither of them are mine, but I've seen the work they do and agree with their assessments.

I also pushed back on promoting one of mine. While the employee is a fast learner and certainly has the ability to move up, the foundation is not there yet. I think in six months we could revisit the discussion and if all works out, give a promotion at that time. Right now, I believe the employee is still doing a balancing act, unsure of footing, and too cautious to move forward without assistance. We have a lot going on in the next few months, and I believe this time will be used wisely by the employee to be ready for a promotion.

Hopefully I won't be proven wrong . . .

AG74683

Cyburbian
Responded to our first wreck courtesy of the new awful town bypass that just opened. I've never seen a more badly planned road in my life. Good example of why I hate transportation planning. It's almost never about the people or community needs, it's how to move traffic the cheapest possible way. Only a matter of time before we respond to an accident that claims a life.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Site plan element of the day folks: it's a circle clearly labeled on the plan as "the square." (yes, it's kind of contained in a square, but still.)

thesquare.jpg

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My daughter had a friend spend the night last night and around 10:00 p.m. they were outside looking for fireflies and other bugs so of course the only option I had was to sneak up on them in the dark from the other side of the house and scare them. The friend saw me coming but thankfully she didn't say anything so I was still able to scare my daughter. She screamed loud enough that I was worried somebody might call the police. Thankfully, she also immediately laughed loud enough to negate any alarm she may have caused.

Top Bottom