• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think I am just going to have to get a riding mower. I really don't want to spend the money on a new one, but I'd rather get something brand new than a used one that's been through God knows what. Any recommendations?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Humorous Mapping -

State Broadband grant eligible census blocks - Interstate medians - such a high demand area ?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
turn in your man card if your yard is less than acre
Easy for YOU to say 'turn in your man card' :rolleyes:

Which reminds me, we have to start revoking women cards around here. What does one have to do (or not do) to get one's woman card revoked?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey I mow lawns (when my LA husband lets me lol) - grew up mowing lawns #canispeaktothemanager

not sure what revokes a women card hmmm

Bubba

Cyburbian
I tend to have a love/hate relationship with the trees in the front yard at the houses I've lived in for any substantial amount of time (all three of them). Love the shade and the greenery, hate the rest.

Childhood home: Pine trees - pine cones, pine straw, pollen.
Old house: River Birch - such a trash tree. No idea how it dropped as many branches as it did on such a frequent basis.
Current house: Chestnut Oaks - eleventy billion gigantic acorns. Hurts like hell if you get dinged by one on its way down.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey I do 106 reviews!

lol/smirk
The people at the State HPO are lovely, but they are very particular about how they like a review packaged which includes photos of various angles no less than 4 x 6 and labeled with directional info, a USGS Quad map, a search printout of their database, proposed plans/drawings, and copies of the tribal consultation requests. The State HPO only accepts snail mailed packages, no emails other than typical correspondence. The county doesn't have an HPO so all reviews have to go to the state. I did write an operating agreement with them for the lead remediation program which was approved and was thinking to do the same for rehab only projects. New York state has an electronic review system and they turn things around very quickly. No snail mail involved.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
@Maister should appreciate this: The guy in the office next to mine is another Marine. I left for bootcamp 22 years ago last week so I put a picture of the Parris Island yellow footprints outside my door. Yesterday marked 30 years since he left for boot camp but he went to San Diego so he had to put up a picture of their footprints. Of course I had to add some commentary.

1565359851685.png

1565359866369.png

Reactions: Dan

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
@Maister should appreciate this: The guy in the office next to mine is another Marine. I left for bootcamp 22 years ago last week so I put a picture of the Parris Island yellow footprints outside my door. Yesterday marked 30 years since he left for boot camp but he went to San Diego so he had to put up a picture of their footprints. Of course I had to add some commentary.

View attachment 24801

View attachment 24802
It'll be 36 years for me come December when I last stood on the yellow footprints.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The people at the State HPO are lovely, but they are very particular about how they like a review packaged which includes photos of various angles no less than 4 x 6 and labeled with directional info, a USGS Quad map, a search printout of their database, proposed plans/drawings, and copies of the tribal consultation requests. The State HPO only accepts snail mailed packages, no emails other than typical correspondence. The county doesn't have an HPO so all reviews have to go to the state. I did write an operating agreement with them for the lead remediation program which was approved and was thinking to do the same for rehab only projects. New York state has an electronic review system and they turn things around very quickly. No snail mail involved.
Those issues aside, the NJ SHPO is one of more reasonable ones I've dealt with.

DVD

Cyburbian
It'll be 36 years for me come December when I last stood on the yellow footprints.
Still saying, Navy didn't need footprints to say stand here.

Stupid oven part isn't here yet. I should have ordered it from Amazon rather than the parts store around the corner. :rolleyes: They're normally so good too.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I should have ordered it from Amazon rather than the parts store around the corner. :rolleyes: They're normally so good too.
It's these types of anecdotes that don't help brick&mortar stores make the argument against e-commerce.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Doohickie, a second location of Buffalo Bros, a full-blown Buffalo-themed bar, just opened in Sundance Square in DT FW. Beef on weck, Sahlen's hots, Weber's mustard, da Friday fish fry wit da haddock der like dey had at McPartlan's der, and Genny Cream and Labatt Blue on tap,

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
There was a recent episode on Showtime's The Loudest Voice where Roger Ailes was depicted as having a pitched affront with the local zoning authority over a disputed crazy town plan that was demonized as taking away citizen's property rights. This was clearly an affront to the American Way. Ailes was depicted as going all ape-shit at one of the meetings. I don't doubt this happened, but the televised recreation of the event made me laugh, spittle and all!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Which reminds me, we have to start revoking women cards around here. What does one have to do (or not do) to get one's woman card revoked?
A man card can be revoked for liking too many girly things, but I don't know if a girl card can be revoked for liking manly things.

If I order a Mojito or white wine spritzer at a bar, the bartender himself will revoke my man card, or at least suspend it. If a woman orders an Old Fashioned or dry Martini, I don't think any of her friends will go "Oh. My. Gaaduh. Jenny, hand over your girl card nowuh!"

How about ...

Going to Bed Bath and Beyond or Kohl's without loading up on coupons?

Not having a salad for or with dinner?

Thinking the bed has enough pillows on it?

Losing your balance doing tree pose?

Holding a cup of coffee or tea with only one hand?

Bubba

Cyburbian
Manly consumption of mojitos is acceptable in Cuban restaurants, Miami, and Puerto Rico.

AG74683

Cyburbian
turn in your man card if your yard is less than acre
You can have it. I'm tired of mowing in 95+ degree heat, and I have better things to be doing. It'll take me 20 minutes to mow my lawn with a riding mower as opposed to the 1.5 - 2 hours I take now. Plus I can't hold a beer with a push mower.

Realistically,this mower should last me for a decade at least. Ideally I'll be out of my current house by then with something bigger, and hopefully have a family to support. I'd rather spend money on a riding lawn mower now, while I have free income, than when I have less discretionary funding and actually need the mower.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Today, I was reminded that putting a report cover on any document makes it look sophisticated and important. I put a report cover on a report that I am reviewing and I have never gotten as many compliments on a stack of papers that I have had in my hands as this random report that I just so happened to stick it in a report folder because I didn't want to use a binder clip, paper clip, or staple.

You can have it. I'm tired of mowing in 95+ degree heat, and I have better things to be doing. It'll take me 20 minutes to mow my lawn with a riding mower as opposed to the 1.5 - 2 hours I take now. Plus I can't hold a beer with a push mower.

Realistically,this mower should last me for a decade at least. Ideally I'll be out of my current house by then with something bigger, and hopefully have a family to support. I'd rather spend money on a riding lawn mower now, while I have free income, than when I have less discretionary funding and actually need the mower.
If it's just about holding a beer, just pour a beer or two in an insulated camelbak and save some money. It won't help you on time though.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Today, I was reminded that putting a report cover on any document makes it look sophisticated and important. I put a report cover on a report that I am reviewing and I have never gotten as many compliments on a stack of papers that I have had in my hands as this random report that I just so happened to stick it in a report folder because I didn't want to use a binder clip, paper clip, or staple.
Also, make sure your TPS report has the correct cover sheet before you put it in the report cover.

It's important.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Manly consumption of mojitos is acceptable in Cuban restaurants, Miami, and Puerto Rico.
Yeah, but you have to apply for a special permit that's only usable in those locations, not to mention there's usually a five business day wait to process said permit. It's simpler to just stay home and toss down shots of Jack Daniels and chug six packs of Bud in the comfort of home and never have to worry about getting points on your man card.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Yeah, but you have to apply for a special permit that's only usable in those locations, not to mention there's usually a five business day wait to process said permit. It's simpler to just stay home and toss down shots of Jack Daniels and chug six packs of Bud in the comfort of home and never have to worry about getting points on your man card.
The only mojito I ever consumed was served to me at a Cuban restaurant in Miami. The waiting period for that particular permit is only three days.

AG74683

Cyburbian
If it's just about holding a beer, just pour a beer or two in an insulated camelbak and save some money. It won't help you on time though.
It's also because I'm somewhat lazy and just despise mowing now. It's really bad when the grass gets high because none of my push mowers have the ability to cut down that much.

I'm incredibly pissed off at the Environmental Health guy right now. Apparently he needs something related to a Spanish translation for next week and is bringing in the girl I used to date to help him with it. There are TWO girls over there, both as capable as the other, and he chose to bring her in. I'm going to complain about it until he changes his mind OR just take the week off. That's stupid and just seems like he's doing it on purpose to antagonize me.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's also because I'm somewhat lazy and just despise mowing now. It's really bad when the grass gets high because none of my push mowers have the ability to cut down that much.

I'm incredibly pissed off at the Environmental Health guy right now. Apparently he needs something related to a Spanish translation for next week and is bringing in the girl I used to date to help him with it. There are TWO girls over there, both as capable as the other, and he chose to bring her in. I'm going to complain about it until he changes his mind OR just take the week off. That's stupid and just seems like he's doing it on purpose to antagonize me.
Or you can just be a professional grownup and let her do the translation. You work in the same place and are likely to cross paths every now and then.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If I order a Mojito or white wine spritzer at a bar, the bartender himself will revoke my man card, or at least suspend it. If a woman orders an Old Fashioned or dry Martini, I don't think any of her friends will go "Oh. My. Gaaduh. Jenny, hand over your girl card nowuh!"
Note the highly realistic dialogue. Dan is probably scoring points big time with all the ladies right now. :smirk:

Dan said:
How about ...

Going to Bed Bath and Beyond or Kohl's without loading up on coupons?

Not having a salad for or with dinner?

Thinking the bed has enough pillows on it?

Losing your balance doing tree pose?

Holding a cup of coffee or tea with only one hand?
And to this we should consider adding:

Not having at least two personal items in one's workspace

when a guy complains about something, respond with a solution instead of empathy

allowing guys to make fart jokes in their presence without giving them the evil eye, or at least an eyeroll

AG74683

Cyburbian
Or you can just be a professional grownup and let her do the translation. You work in the same place and are likely to cross paths every now and then.
She has no reason to be over here. Period. There are other options.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Lodi Ice Cream Shop Owner Says City Planner Asked Him to Paint Over Giant ‘EAT ME’ Mural

Would you do that ?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Lodi Ice Cream Shop Owner Says City Planner Asked Him to Paint Over Giant ‘EAT ME’ Mural

Would you do that ?
Probably not, but it brings to mind the words "Oh lord, stuck in Lodi again..."

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Would you do that ?
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and never went back.

A mural stops being art and becomes a sign when it's directly related to the use that's inside -- no matter how artistic or beloved it is. If it's just plain words, well, if it looks like a sign ...

I've read people defend the notoriously awful hand-painted business signage in Buffalo's East Side as "folk art". Would you call this a mural?

ghetto_signage.jpg

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just emailed a grantee that I was always down for cocktails. How's your Friday going?

DVD

Cyburbian
So the only time I had a mojito was in a Cuban restaurant/bar in Tampa. The guy behind the bar made a good strong drink. It was nice, but I'll just stick with whisky.

kms

Cyburbian
Two of my coworkers applied for jobs that they should have won, and neither did. Each one made a flippant remark during their interviews that were completely inappropriate to make during a job interview. It doesn’t matter how well you think you know the interviewer, stay formal and respectful.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
My mom can be seen sitting on her front porch in a Google Earth Street View image. A cousin pointed that out to me.

Doohickie

Cyburbian

Would you do that ?
It happened here in Fort Worth under similar circumstances, at the Deep Ellum Funkytown Fermatorium.

The thread about the situation (and ensuing comments) on Facebook make for some interesting reading, including one or two comments by some guy with profile picture strikingly similar to the one I use on this forum.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Other than going for a run Saturday morning and then walking my daughter to the park a couple blocks away, I realized when I left for work this morning, I never left my house this weekend. I like those kinds of weekends!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I burnt the tip of my left index finger while handling a charcoal chimney yesterday. It blistered and hurt like a mofo for hours, even after running it under cold water immediately afterwards and holding an ice cube on it.

It's completely healed today. No discomfort whatsoever. That was fast.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I burnt the tip of my left index finger while handling a charcoal chimney yesterday. It blistered and hurt like a mofo for hours, even after running it under cold water immediately afterwards and holding an ice cube on it.

It's completely healed today. No discomfort whatsoever. That was fast.
Oh, man, I chopped up a bunch of hot peppers yesterday afternoon without wearing gloves - my fingers finally stopped burning about 11 PM...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Oh, man, I chopped up a bunch of hot peppers yesterday afternoon without wearing gloves - my fingers finally stopped burning about 11 PM...
What's sometimes worse is washing your hands afterwards. I swear all that water does is spread the capsaicin oils around. Bonus points if you've got any small cuts on your hands.

Bubba

Cyburbian
What's sometimes worse is washing your hands afterwards. I swear all that water does is spread the capsaicin oils around. Bonus points if you've got any small cuts on your hands.
Yep, that was also my experience yesterday. Good times...

Top Bottom