• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Two of my coworkers applied for jobs that they should have won, and neither did. Each one made a flippant remark during their interviews that were completely inappropriate to make during a job interview. It doesn’t matter how well you think you know the interviewer, stay formal and respectful.
Save the jokes and personal stuff for celebrating after the offer letter. Don't be devoid of personality, but know the audience and the audience environment!

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I burnt the tip of my left index finger while handling a charcoal chimney yesterday. It blistered and hurt like a mofo for hours, even after running it under cold water immediately afterwards and holding an ice cube on it.

It's completely healed today. No discomfort whatsoever. That was fast.
I burnt my finger on a charcoal chimney a couple of weeks ago. I carried a unopened cold beer around for the better part of an afternoon, switching out before they got warm. It didn't heal nearly as fast though.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So you think you're bad, with your rap
Well I'll tell ya pilgrim I started the crap
When you were in diapers and wetting the sheets
I was at the Ponderosa rapping to the beat

DVD

Cyburbian
So I finally got the new control board for the oven and hooked it all up this weekend. My wife tries to preheat the oven to 500 for some pizza and the thing gives me an error code saying it over heated and shuts off. I set it to 400 and put a thermometer inside. The thermometer reads 475. I think I might have a problem with my oven's temp sensor. Once I replace this I'll pretty much have a new oven.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Babies are typically pretty dumb.
I know, right? Babies also infect everyone around them with their dumbness. I cannot stand to hear myself talk to any human under four-years old. I also stop being able to feed myself properly, and sometimes I have potty accidents. I assume this is universal so I'm safe sharing.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Everyone tells me how smart their baby is though. You know as they learn all the same things every other baby learns.... ;)
I laugh a lot at wondering what it is our baby is doing while he's in utero and why he is doing it. And then thinking about how I would have no expectation that he knew what he was doing once he's born.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Anybody know a good web site that I can check the value of our $5, $2, and $1 silver certificate bills? Thanks.

DVD

Cyburbian
I had a batter on deck afraid to shoot the three to win the bowl game.

SPORTS METAPHORS!!!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Blueberry bread for breakfast made from homegrown blueberries.

Today was tomorrow yesterday.
And yesterday was tomorrow two days ago.

And a final random thought: the idea of onion flavored beverages or ice cream is fascinating. Disgusting, but fascinating.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” - Bilbo Baggins

Is this a compliment or a put down?

AG74683

Cyburbian
I was out yesterday since I didn't feel well. Don't feel much better today but I have to be here because I need to get some packet information out.

I decided on the John Deere X330 for my house I think. It's tremendous overkill but I'd rather buy too much than not enough.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was out yesterday since I didn't feel well. Don't feel much better today but I have to be here because I need to get some packet information out.

I decided on the John Deere X330 for my house I think. It's tremendous overkill but I'd rather buy too much than not enough.

I hope you feel better and I hope that John Deere comes with its own beer cozy!

DVD

Cyburbian
Best conversation of the day:

Me: Your design needs to borrow architecturally from the neighboring buildings, but I don't know what I would borrow.
Owner: Those are our buildings.
Me: Well, our code doesn't like the design of them.
Owner: Goes into long story name dropping local semi famous architects and how it's a great example of mid century modern that no one can argue about.
Me: I don't make architectural opinions. I just need you to follow the minimum code for the neighborhood.

FYI, the buildings to the right and left are what they call mid century

Reactions: Dan

dw914er

Cyburbian

Me: Your design needs to borrow architecturally from the neighboring buildings, but I don't know what I would borrow.
Owner: Goes into long story name dropping local semi famous architects and how it's a great example of mid century modern that no one can argue about.
Me: I don't make architectural opinions. I just need you to follow the minimum code for the neighborhood.

They used a fancy font for their address numbers, so it's clearly mid century modern.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The Board of Commissioners is seemingly in meltdown mode in its effort to appoint a new county executive after the death of our long serving exec last week. After the Democrat-controlled Board squandered their opportunity to cleanly appoint somebody (presumably the county's first ever Democrat county exec), both Rs and Ds on the Board are doing what they can to mess things up and now have an open application process going on with the submitted applications being viewable online by the public. Looking at the list of applicants, I think this Ima Skaam woman is a pretty strong contender!

DVD

Cyburbian
I'd totally vote for WSU, I mean Ms. Skaam. She knows the problems and has experience rooted in common sense.

AG74683

Cyburbian

Man if I were the architect for those buildings, I'd want my name as far away from them as possible. Even I could have designed those.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Now people are complaining about where we are parking our personal vehicles. F*** off, if that's all you have to do, you need to find a job.

DVD

Cyburbian
of course they got screwed-by-zoning as the district line appears to go right down the center of the road - mixed use my @$$ lol
Surprisingly it's all one "downtown" zoning district based on the historic neighborhood. Obviously what I worked with were not contributing properties, but those bungalows might be. The apartments actually make a nice buffer between the houses and the freeway, but the problem with the project is that we want more street activity that can lead to people maybe walking up the road to the major intersection where some of the retail is. Not that people actually walk around here, but they might. The plan has everything going in and out of the back alley and parking in rear instead of having a front porch of some kind.

To make today even better a latter meeting - different project - had the same engineer. He was cool though and kind of shrugged it off. He was actually pretty good at trying to deflect the name dropping (ex mayor, architect, other people) snobby owners from being overly angry. Reminding them that I'm working from a code, not architectural opinion. Made for a fun second meeting though.

Top Bottom