• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Bubba

Cyburbian
Next-to-last day at my current firm today - going to spend most of my time on electronic file organization, including moving or deleting 30,000 e-mails (and I'm not kidding about that number). Back into the office tomorrow basically just to turn stuff in, then a couple of weeks "off" (unemployment!) before starting the new job after Labor Day. Mrs. Bubba, of course, has already scheduled stuff for me for most of the days during what was supposed to be my down time...I really just want to sleep some.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best conversation of the day:

Me: Your design needs to borrow architecturally from the neighboring buildings, but I don't know what I would borrow.
Owner: Those are our buildings.
Me: Well, our code doesn't like the design of them.
Owner: Goes into long story name dropping local semi famous architects and how it's a great example of mid century modern that no one can argue about.
Me: I don't make architectural opinions. I just need you to follow the minimum code for the neighborhood.

FYI, the buildings to the right and left are what they call mid century
Those are some fugly utilitarian buildings. The homes across the street are awesome though!

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well I applied for a full time fire job in my hometown. Pay would be a drastic decrease from what I'm making now, but I'd rather be poor and enjoy what I do every day than be miserable. I doubt I'll get any interest from it though. I don't really have any certificates to back it up.

DVD

Cyburbian
I can definitely see Otis raging about how the codes don't line up with their plans.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What if hurricane Karen proves to be a dud and gets downgraded to a tropical storm before it ever approaches land? All of Cyburbia will joking: boy, hurricane Karen sure was a complete dud! What a wimpy storm! Weak and ineffectual. Barely swayed a few palm trees before dissipating. But that's hardly surprising, you know, given the name.....

On the other hand, if it turns out to be a massive killer class 5 hurricane that lays waste to, say, Miami, the name will live on in infamy. We can never hear the name 'Karen' spoken again without recalling with great sadness and distress the hundreds of innocent lives that were taken from us. The name 'Karen' shall forever be a curse...

Personally, I'd prefer if they'd name hurricanes using a NATO alphabetic convention: Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, etc.

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
OMG!. The Dow is crashing...dropped 600 points to ~25,800.

The world is ending. RECESSION, RECESSION, RECESSION

Though, the Dow is still 11,000 points higher than the pre-2008 crash high of ~14,000....so....

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Is this another reason not to like that Ohio State -

Ohio State University wants to trademark the word 'The'
Taking a cue from Ohio State and their banishment of letter "M", I'm going to refuse to use that word during _ week leading up to __ Game in November.

AG74683

Cyburbian
It was amusing explaining to the kiddos what the cigarette lighter in my old car was meant for. I think it was hard for them to imagine people smoking so much that a car cigarette lighter would be required.
I always found it more interesting that it was needed in the car to begin with. Wouldn't your average smoker carry their own lighter?

DVD

Cyburbian
But when you're cruising down _ road with _ windows down _ wind would blow out _ lighter. That wouldn't be cool and Joe Camel would not approve.

Following WSU's refusal to use ___ word.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I'm about to call an unhappy person. They are one of those I've-done-it-this-way-for-20-years people, who is upset that their verbal only comments were not 100% incorporated into a document that will be used by lots of other people. He is personally affronted that we would not return a phone call within his specified time limit, and rather than leave a message (a clue to call back don't you think?) he keeps calling until he finds someone, whether they are the right person or not.
He vented to my supervisor, who has dealt with him before and knows how he is. So I'm calling to confirm that what she said to him sticks. He will not be happy, and will complain some more, because I've-done-it-this-way-for-20-years means he will not make changes. But he will either adapt or no longer be involved, because a power higher than my agency says you will make these changes.

Some days, I wish we could drink at lunch.

Reactions: Dan

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I'm going to be sleeping in a dorm room for the next two nights, for a conference. :oops:

Fortunately, it's one of those newfangled dorms that are like apartments, so I get my own bedroom and only share the bathroom with one other person. Not the old kind us old fogies had back in the day, with two twin bunks in one "cozy" room, and a thin wall between rooms so you could hear lots of fun stuff, and communal showers. Kids these days don't know how good they have it. :p

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Is this another reason not to like that Ohio State -

Ohio State University wants to trademark the word 'The'
What is the first reason? Because they are awesome? Because they win a lot? Because they have made scarlet and gray look sweet? Because they have a mascot that is a tree that really has no purpose or value?

Just checking for a friend.... ;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm going to be sleeping in a dorm room for the next two nights, for a conference. :oops:

Fortunately, it's one of those newfangled dorms that are like apartments, so I get my own bedroom and only share the bathroom with one other person. Not the old kind us old fogies had back in the day, with two twin bunks in one "cozy" room, and a thin wall between rooms so you could hear lots of fun stuff, and communal showers. Kids these days don't know how good they have it. :p
Be sure to get your roommate to keep the RA heavily engaged in a discussion so they don't notice the case of beer you'll be sneaking in through the back door!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
What is the first reason? Because they are awesome? Because they win a lot? Because they have made scarlet and gray look sweet? Because they have a mascot that is a tree that really has no purpose or value?

No...
Because their ego is bigger than their State
Because they still have a losing record against University of Michigan
Because they need to pull a stupid publicity stunt like this to make up for inadequacies

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Wouldn't your average smoker carry their own lighter?
I think the point was that it wasn't an open flame in a car that was jostling around and speeding down the highway with open windows. A lighter would blow out. (Remember that when lighters were first put into cars, AC was rare in them.)

Be sure to get your roommate to keep the RA heavily engaged in a discussion so they don't notice the case of beer you'll be sneaking in through the back door!
We didn't have to hide it from our RA. We just had to give him a bottle.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think the point was that it wasn't an open flame in a car that was jostling around and speeding down the highway with open windows. A lighter would blow out. (Remember that when lighters were first put into cars, AC was rare in them.)
Ah, yes that does make sense. Interesting that they kept with the same lighter model for so long, even when they basically became irrelevant.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Well I applied for a full time fire job in my hometown. Pay would be a drastic decrease from what I'm making now, but I'd rather be poor and enjoy what I do every day than be miserable. I doubt I'll get any interest from it though. I don't really have any certificates to back it up.
It doesn't hurt to try. Plus you are young enough to switch horses at this point. That becomes harder as you get older.

Veloise

Cyburbian

Just getting started here:

Ohio University responds

Ohio State has market cornered on THE dumbest ideas

Hey, Ohio State: Trying to steal the word 'THE' makes you greedy

IMHO: this photo shows a couple of really bad decisions on the part of not-the-first-band-to-present-THE-Script-Ohio

OSU tuba plumes.jpg
Male viewers won't understand the second one

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can definitely see Otis raging about how the codes don't line up with their plans.

OMG!. The Dow is crashing...dropped 600 points to ~25,800.

The world is ending. RECESSION, RECESSION, RECESSION

Though, the Dow is still 11,000 points higher than the pre-2008 crash high of ~14,000....so....

In a 3 day all day GIS class - anyone else in this class with me online? I am taking it in a conference room so I won't get distracted. I am pretty new here so still anonymous but somehow not being in my office has made me in high demand. wtf -

plus, #firstworldproblem, I am taking it on a tiny laptop so I have to switch windows to go from the shared workspace to the webex to the 400 page workbook

need to stop freaking ugh - whatever, right

AG74683

Cyburbian
I found one of those "technically correct" loopholes this morning. Apparently we cannot park in our own office parking lot in the "visitor" spots whenever our side gets filled up now. I realized that right literally in front of our building is on street parking and there are NO signs saying for visitors only. I parked literally right in front of the door. It is public parking within the town's jurisdiction, not ours. There is absolutely nothing anyone can do to prevent me from parking there, as I am a tax paying member of the town and thus have every right to that spot.

Planit

Cyburbian
I found one of those "technically correct" loopholes this morning. Apparently we cannot park in our own office parking lot in the "visitor" spots whenever our side gets filled up now. I realized that right literally in front of our building is on street parking and there are NO signs saying for visitors only. I parked literally right in front of the door. It is public parking within the town's jurisdiction, not ours. There is absolutely nothing anyone can do to prevent me from parking there, as I am a tax paying member of the town and thus have every right to that spot.

But do you have to move your car every 2 hours?

Big Owl

Cyburbian
It's only a matter of time before your loop hole is discovered and it is closed up. The discovery of "technically correct" loopholes are the reasons that rules are changed and signs or made.

sharpie.jpg

DVD

Cyburbian
I've replaced damn near every part and the stupid oven is still broken. I'm thinking the appliance store sold me a faulty control board or it's just something incredibly stupid that I'm missing. It doesn't help that the leads to my cheap multi meter broke so now I can't diagnose some of the stupid. I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue.

AG74683

Cyburbian
It's only a matter of time before your loop hole is discovered and it is closed up. The discovery of "technically correct" loopholes are the reasons that rules are changed and signs or made.
Oh definitely. There is a sign post at the front that used to say "no parking". It was supposed to keep people out of the site triangle, but they got rid of it a while ago.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I picked blueberries in my suburban front yard this morning. We have five bushes, all chest-high at this point. It's getting late in the year but a little time this morning still yielded a quick pint.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I just noticed my zipper is down. I'm leaving it down until someone tells me my fly is down. I want to know that people here care about me and my dignity.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Got a notice that Governing magazine is folding. It's been struggles for a while now. I always enjoyed it and found it insightful. It will be missed.

• Sad

AG74683

Cyburbian
As well you should be. Are you buying a house? Now is the time, with a score like that.
No, I already have that. I'm buying a lawn mower but the credit application messed up. I went to see if there were any hard pulls on my score and they had already done it. Interestingly, Credit Karma shows a bump of 61 points in the last year.

DVD

Cyburbian
Thinking about applying for the street planner job, but I'm not sure if I have enough experience for it. I know a little about transportation planning, but I'm no expert. It would give me a little bump in pay, but I've got the current job down to a routine. I kind of like routine.

Top Bottom