• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Thinking about applying for the street planner job, but I'm not sure if I have enough experience for it. I know a little about transportation planning, but I'm no expert. It would give me a little bump in pay, but I've got the current job down to a routine. I kind of like routine.
Street musician = someone who plays music on the street.
Street merchant = someone who sells stuff on the street.
Street person = someone that lives on the street.

Street planner sounds like your desk fort and red sharpie is going to be on the street.

On another note, it's a little before 9 am here and I am already for a drink or seven.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How come there are not any good & funny Trump trying to buy Greenland memes ?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have been researching mitochondria lately. It is amazing.
Yeah, you know there's a theory out there that goes while we usually think of mitochondria as being an organelle within cells, they may have earlier in their evolutionary history been prokaryotic cells (you know, primitive cells that lack membranes and organelles) that later evolved.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yeah, you know there's a theory out there that goes while we usually think of mitochondria as being an organelle within cells, they may have earlier in their evolutionary history been prokaryotic cells (you know, primitive cells that lack membranes and organelles) that later evolved.
There are a couple of several studies that are leading towards these still maintaining some of their independent natures and having the ability to interact with each other as well as mitochondria and energy outside of our bodies as well, which backs up some of the theories of Chi. I don't think it is quite to the level of "The Force" from Star Wars, but is crazy what scientists are learning.

Part of my interest though is how more and more researchers are determining that they have a relationship to health and aging and how many of the health issues that we have today seem to a relationship to mitochondrial function, and how our modern lifestyles are causing issues with energy production which then inhibits our immune system and speeds up aging. In one study, the looked at the cellular age of mice who were first fed and operated in a similar manner to how our society is today and then put in a low stress environment with ample options for short bursts of high intensity exercise combined with dietary changes that were both time and volume controlled and found that the cellular age of these mice actually went backwards, in essence, fining the fountain of youth. More so, mitochondrial dysfunction has also been linked to a wide range of neurological disorders, which makes sense since so much if it is electrochemical.

AG74683

Cyburbian
On another note, it's a little before 9 am here and I am already for a drink or seven.
My family is visiting this weekend. My sister is a recovering addict of basically everything, including alcohol. I have a lot of this at my house. I have no choice but to drink all 7 beers in my fridge tonight.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My family is visiting this weekend. My sister is a recovering addict of basically everything, including alcohol. I have a lot of this at my house. I have no choice but to drink all 7 beers in my fridge tonight.
Ah, the requirements of one's duty. Well, get cracking on your obligations!

Veloise

Cyburbian
Yesterday afternoon I stepped outside to check my mailbox, and noticed a number of handsome men in uniform, with their matching squad cars, down on the corner. Several neighbors also out and hanging about.
I asked my next-door about it ... apparently the solo ager in the last house had not been seen in a few days. Others on the block were debating "should we mow her lawn?" and someone called for a welfare check. It seems the cops need to have a supervisor present when they do a forced entry.
I left for my evening meeting as the county guys were about to enter with the stretcher.

Next-door (who grew up in my house) was telling stories. The family had 14 kids, and a pet monkey. The deceased's nearest relative is an older brother in his 80s. It turns out that the next-door man watches for me and sometimes comments about that, and then the woman pays extra attention from the kitchen window (we sometimes wave at each other from our respective sinks).

Last winter I was out front shoveling and met the corner resident for the first time (and I've been here four years). I've never seen any lights on inside, but someone left her walled porch light on last night.

As I also live alone, with two relentless kitties who sometimes decide to "help" on the stairs, I am looking into check-in measures other than my posts on FB.

Last edited:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yesterday afternoon I stepped outside to check my mailbox, and noticed a number of handsome men in uniform, with their matching squad cars, down on the corner. Several neighbors also out and hanging about.
I asked my next-door about it ... apparently the solo ager in the last house had not been seen in a few days. Others on the block were debating "should we mow her lawn?" and someone called for a welfare check. It seems the cops need to have a supervisor present when they do a forced entry.
I left for my evening meeting as the county guys were about to enter with the stretcher.

Next-door (who grew up in my house) was telling stories. The family had 14 kids, and a pet monkey. The deceased's nearest relative is an older brother in his 80s. It turns out that the next-door man watches for me and sometimes comments about that, and then the woman pays extra attention from the kitchen window (we sometimes wave at each other from our respective sinks).

Last winter I was out front shoveling and met the corner resident for the first time (and I've been here four years). I've never seen any lights on inside, but someone left her walled porch light on last night.

As I also live alone, with two relentless kitties who sometimes decide to "help" on the stairs, I am looking into check-in measures other than my posts on FB.
Did anyone knock on their door? Just curious. My neighbors watch out for one another too :)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
My neighbors watch out for one another too
Not sure why.... actually I am, and I'll get to that in a minute.... but right from the start when we moved into our house last year, we've taken an interest in the welfare of our next door neighbors, and to a slightly lesser extent my neighbor across the street.

My next door neighbors are an older couple. He's in his mid-70s, has mobility problems (he gets around but his knees and hips give him trouble) and heart problems (prone to blood clots). When we first moved in he'd just had knee surgery, so I mowed his front lawn several times while doing my own. No big deal really, maybe an extra half hour on the lawn. When he had some heart issues this year I told him I'll just mow his lawn when I can, and I usually do. We get along amiably, which is good for next door neighbors. If he needs a hand with something he'll just come by and ring my bell. They're almost like family at this point.

The neighbor across the street I see outside sometimes. He's a smoker and I think he prefers to be outside when he smokes (although you can tell he's smoked a lot inside too from the smell of the place). He's probably in his 60s or 70s as well, and lived in the house his whole life; it was his parents' house when they were alive, and he never moved out. He had a stroke last year and I think he's stressed financially, so if he asks for help (which he doesn't do as frequently as my other neighbor), I do what I can. He's a little more of a keep-to-himself, taciturn personality, but he'll readily chew the fat once he gets going. He reminds me of and older version of Dale Gribble from King of the Hill, although not as nutty.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ My husband was in the DR for the past week dealing with a family emergency. Tuesday his car had a flat tire and of course the car needed to be moved to the other side of the street for street cleaning. Naturally I needed to be somewhere within an hour. My neighbor that lives across from me saw me looking at the tire, told me to give him the keys. He put the donut on for me and moved the car to avoid getting a ticket.

My next door neighbor is an older couple, the husband still works as a nurse and the wife is retired with some health issues. The husband works overnights so he's not at home at night and sleeps during the day. When it snows we shovel his part of the sidewalk and stoop and salt everything for them. One winter storm the city didn't plow for 3 days, all of the neighbors got together and shoveled a travel lane the entire length of the block. Newark often gets a bad rap, but it's the most neighborly place I've ever lived in.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Did anyone knock on their door? Just curious. My neighbors watch out for one another too :)
hahahaha. No, they just called 911 because there was a notion in someone's head.

Apparently one of her windows was open a few inches, and the screen had insects on it.
"black with flies," said the next-door. (Hover over the missing text if you're into X-Files-style horror.
One of the cops said, "that's not a good sign."

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I did a check on my elderly neighbor earlier this week. Friday afternoon he came outside to turn on his sprinkler and he seemed fine, we even chatted for a moment over the fence about his upcoming 90th birthday party tomorrow, but I noticed the sprinkler was still on Saturday morning when I went outside to go for a run. I didn't think much of it but when it was still on around lunchtime I was starting to get a little worried so I went through the fence and around to the front door. As I came around the side of his house I saw him standing in the front watering some other flowers and told him I was checking on him because his sprinkler had been on for close to 24 hours.

He seemed embarrassed that he had forgotten it and I went around back to turn it off before heading home. I saw his son at the gym on Monday morning and mentioned it to him. Apparently, the dad forget about it not because of senility but because he turned it on and then went over to "his girlfriend's house" for dinner and drinks didn't get home until very early in the morning!

AG74683

Cyburbian
I am getting a new neighbor at the beginning of September. I'm kind of glad that the old neighbors are moving because they are very strange and one has an incredibly loud obnoxious truck. There are always people coming and going at all times which is a little suspect to me.

BUT the new neighbor is this weird girl that I went out with a few times maybe 4 years ago. It was a strange thing. She's the one who stole my socks one night and also tried to invite me to a Christmas party where I'd be the only guy there "who wasn't working". We don't really talk anymore though and I doubt I'll see her all that much anyway.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The house next door ought be going on the market soon. The owner was going to rent it but he couldn't stop remodeling it (based on how much it needed) and decided to flip it and list it. Obviously, I'll be interested in how much it sells for, and who buys it. My only concern: fenced yard and a yappy dog.:dog:

DVD

Cyburbian
My neighbors are all good. My wife complains about the guy next door who parks his camper in the driveway. It just never moves. You've got a giant backyard just like me, store it in back or use the HOA RV lot at a cost of $50/year (yep per year). Just kind of tacky.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I realized today that all our exterior lights here don't work anymore, so I went to put in various work orders to get those fixed before it started to get dark earlier. I realized shortly after that at least one of those lights has a switch....

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My daughter gave me a stick of rock candy that she got from somewhere so I brought it in to work with me today. It's too much sugar, even for me. My teeth were hurting almost immediately.

Planit

Cyburbian
There is an extremely yappy schnauzer on the side street. If it is outside, you can't come within 50 feet of the yard before it starts up. Very loud and high pitched and persistent. The owners don't do a thing to control it other than the electric fence.

This is our standard walking route so its a common occurrence. Our dog actually picks up his pace a little bit as we go past.

DVD

Cyburbian
Your dog should piss on the electric fence to throw sparks on the little yapper.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
My neighbors are all good. My wife complains about the guy next door who parks his camper in the driveway. It just never moves. You've got a giant backyard just like me, store it in back or use the HOA RV lot at a cost of $50/year (yep per year). Just kind of tacky.
The neighbor behind me (and whose house is on a frontage road for I-20) has a job, I think, as an appliance installer. Thank goodness for good fences because when I do see into his back yard, it's like an appliance junk yard (I suspect when he installs a new one he removes the old one and if it looks fixable or has good parts, he brings it home). Also, on the monthly big garbage day there are always a few appliance-sized boxes by his curb. I've met him once or twice, seems nice enough even if his yard is pretty messy. I figure as long as he's earning an honest living and not making noise, I'm not going to worry about it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The neighbor behind me (and whose house is on a frontage road for I-20) has a job, I think, as an appliance installer. Thank goodness for good fences because when I do see into his back yard, it's like an appliance junk yard (I suspect when he installs a new one he removes the old one and if it looks fixable or has good parts, he brings it home). Also, on the monthly big garbage day there are always a few appliance-sized boxes by his curb. I've met him once or twice, seems nice enough even if his yard is pretty messy. I figure as long as he's earning an honest living and not making noise, I'm not going to worry about it.
I wish more neighbors were like you.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
The house next door ought be going on the market soon. The owner was going to rent it but he couldn't stop remodeling it (based on how much it needed) and decided to flip it and list it. Obviously, I'll be interested in how much it sells for, and who buys it. My only concern: fenced yard and a yappy dog.:dog:
The house next door to me was put on the market last week. Why on god's green earth did the estate decied to try to fix up the place is beyond me. Probably sunk 20K or more. Anyways, it's selling for 940K, 3 bedrooms 1 bath and a studio.

DVD

Cyburbian
To make the thread interesting we should add the neighbor nicknames part. The local radio DJs have a thing where they discuss all the funny nicknames you give your neighbors that you don't know, but want to talk about with your SO.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I wish more neighbors were like you.
I wish you would clean up your yard :D

I've lived enough places and had enough crappy neighbors that a lot of that kind of stuff doesn't even trip my radar unless I consciously think about it. The person that lived in the house next door to the one we sold last year had a dog that she left outside 24/7 and it would bark just outside our bedroom window all night long. After complaints to her and the city yielded no relief we simply learned to sleep through the barking dog. Problem solved.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The house next door to me was put on the market last week. Why on god's green earth did the estate decided to try to fix up the place is beyond me. Probably sunk 20K or more. Anyways, it's selling for 940K, 3 bedrooms 1 bath and a studio.
Yep. In your market, it's just a waste of liquid cash that's unlikley to substantively move the needle on the sale price and may just get ripped out when the new owners move in anyways.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Oh and regarding the messy yard: I've never had a very nice yard so I'm kind of used to it. I know people get busy and don't always have time to mow, or can't afford a service. My current house has a sprinkler system so it's pretty easy to keep the grass looking good, but I totally remember what it was like to struggle to get anything green to grow.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
When the building code commentary book is larger than the actual building code book, there may be a fundamental problem.

DVD

Cyburbian
I've got 39 projects on my official work provided to do list. I don't want to do right now.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I had to kill a baby squirrel today. :(

My dog found it and was "playing" with it. My wife brought the dogs in and told me to deal with it. It was a little pink hairless thing. Its eyes weren't even open. I went to pick it up and it moved. After thoughts of trying to bottle feed it while trying to protect it from the dogs, I figured the best course of action was just to end its tenuous existence. So I took a garden spade and lopped its head off.

I'm sorry, little squirrel.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Car shopping today.....and no.....not a subaru....yet.
Why the hell not? We're a two Subaru household, and we're not hippies, professors, vegetarians, or Golden Retriever owners.

Reactions: kms

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
What is the first reason? Because they are awesome? Because they win a lot? Because they have made scarlet and gray look sweet? Because they have a mascot that is a tree that really has no purpose or value?

Just checking for a friend.... ;)
Mitch Albom: Ohio State keeps giving Michigan fans reasons to hate it

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why the hell not? We're a two Subaru household, and we're not hippies, professors, vegetarians, or Golden Retriever owners.
I know where you live, though, and it's that or a Volvo - it's in your zoning code!

My Subaru story - some years ago, I was bicycling around Eagle Lake in Acadia and came upon a scene of a Subaru parked by the water, with a beautiful young couple, couple of beautiful kids, a canoe, and yes, a golden retriever, and I stopped by ride and stood there and joked to this guy standing next to me "Jesus, this looks like an LL Bean shoot" and he said, "it is, I'm the photographer!"

We switched from Subaru to Volkswagen Diesel about 6 years ago - I do love the better gas mileage (the darkness of the mothership notwithstanding) as Subaru mileage is pretty bad and we drive a lot but I do miss that AWD in the winter!

I survived my 3 day GIS class and though I am very geeky, I am incomparable to the geekness of ESRI GIS geeks, wow - but they love their work so I can't mock it

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was trimming back some shrubs and raking out the debris under them yesterday when I disturbed a nest of yellow jackets and they immediately swarmed me. I ended up with two bites down near my ankles before I realized what was happening and threw down my shears and jumped backwards a few times to get out of the way. They were still swarming around me so I was running around the front yard swatting at them. My neighbor's sprinklers were on so I ran across the street into the water to douse myself and get them away. That seemed to do the trick. I'm sure if my neighbor saw me, he probably thought I was losing my mind.

In the evening I was able to get back out there and dig out the nest and spray the area. Hopefully I got the entire thing.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Garbage towing ability. We have a boat and I don't trust 4 cylinder cv's to stand up.
An Outback can tow up to 2700 lbs and there is a 6 cylinder option. The new Ascent can tow up to 5000 lbs.

I have a 2014 Outback and love it. My husband was trying to convince me to go for a new Ascent so he can have my Outback. I told him no, I like not having any car payments :)

Planit

Cyburbian
Mrs. P loves her Forester. The other cars in the stable include a Ford, a Buick & a Mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.