• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I find it funny how jealous others are of Ohio State. I get it, we are really good at football and your team is not. Particularly Michigan fans who have not had much else to do but try and poke the bear since winning isn't their thing anymore. I get it.

As a note, I dislike the University of Michigan for one game of football a year. I do enjoy that they continue to suck as a football team, but generally understand that it is a game. I also understand that Michigan is a great university, in a really cool town and has programs and other sports that I can enjoy.

When Michigan does something stupid, I certainly will be the first to make fun of them. Ohio State trademarking "The" is stupid, I get it. But the articles and general sadness of people hating on Ohio State is just silly. I know most of you are coming at it from a point of joking, but many are really being silly about this. Come on people it isn't that big of a deal. :shrug:

With that said, I remember when I was thinking about the new millennium and when Michigan beat Ohio State twice in a row....;) It really is hard though to remember...

(I agree that Michigan was better prior to 1927... since then, it is pretty clear who has the better record....)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
As one of the three(?) cyburbians that actually have a degree (or two) from The UofM, I'll settle it from now on....we're cool.

Right now, OSU can have football, UM gets basketball (we'll see next year though) and maybe it'll flop-flip in a couple years.

Though right now, let's all hate on Alabama where it's clearly deserved. :p

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Come on people it isn't that big of a deal. :shrug:
And yet it seems to be a pretty Big Deal to folks at Tosu. Enough so they're not only jumping through legal hoops to make this happen, but are willing to absorb the all the ridicule as well.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Ohio State trademarking "The" is stupid, I get it. But the articles and general sadness of people hating on Ohio State is just silly.
I really don't have a dog in this fight. I don't follow college football (or college sports in general), but I have to say that Ohio State just comes across to the casual observer as trollish. When I watch an NFL game and the players have that little statement to say where they came from, and an OSU player proclaims "THE Ohio State University", I know they mean it as a point of pride, but they just come across as dooshbags.

And then when they want to trademark it, the message I (as a casual observer) take away from it is that they are institutionalizing the dooshbaggery.

It's just not a good look.

Come on people it isn't that big of a deal. :shrug:
Then how about if OSU's athletes make it not a big deal and drop the "THE"?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Then how about if OSU's athletes make it not a big deal and drop the "THE"?
I think it is like the University of Miami trademarking "the U". It is something they are known for, so they want control of it. I doubt anyone makes fun of them for that. But I get it, it is stupid. The marketing team was probably required to by the legal team. I mean you would hate someone making shirts that say "THE Ohio State University" and the school not be able to profit off it..... right?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
A woman I work with usually stops by my office to raid my candy drawer for chocolate once or twice a day. She retired last Wednesday but she's in the office today finishing cleaning out her office and stopped by to tell me that she's already lost 3 pounds in retirement and credits is entirely to not having access to my candy drawer anymore. Maybe I'd experience the same results if I kept my hands out of there for a week or so...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The house next door to me was put on the market last week. Why on god's green earth did the estate decied to try to fix up the place is beyond me. Probably sunk 20K or more. Anyways, it's selling for 940K, 3 bedrooms 1 bath and a studio.
In this crunchy American community, traditional concepts of "polish" and "curb appeal" are a turn-off to a lot of people. We'd like to update our kitchen and bathrooms, but we'd be doing it for ourselves. 1960s/1970s kitchens are the norm around these parts, and houses that would give a typical couple on House Hunters a case of the vapors don't sit on the market for long.

ugly_kitchen.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
In this crunchy American community, traditional concepts of "polish" and "curb appeal" are a turn-off to a lot of people. We'd like to update our kitchen and bathrooms, but we'd be doing it for ourselves. 1960s/1970s kitchens are the norm around these parts, and houses that would give a typical couple on House Hunters a case of the vapors don't sit on the market for long.

View attachment 25101
Should I admit that this looks kinda like my kitchen? Formica countertops, faux brick veneer, drawers with knobs...heck, I believe that is literally the same model oven in the photo that we've got.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Darn right I had one, though I think mine was red.
This model was called the 'Laker Special'. The fastest (probably because it was lightest) model was one my brother had called the 'Siamese Slingshot'. It wen fast enough to punch a hole in a heavy corrugated cardboard box in our basement (and break a package of glass Christmas ornaments in the process, but that, as they say, is a tale for another time).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Gotta love it. A 'Shaggin' Waggon' SST complete with a Star Wars mural on the side. Is the interior carpeted and possess a faint patchouli scent?

1566247325287.png

Doohickie

Cyburbian

View attachment 25101
Dang. Look at that Z-Brick.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This model was called the 'Laker Special'. The fastest (probably because it was lightest) model was one my brother had called the 'Siamese Slingshot'.
I had a Kenner SSP car that was really similar. I really lusted for a Smash-Up Derby set, though.

I think it is like the University of Miami trademarking "the U". It is something they are known for, so they want control of it. I doubt anyone makes fun of them for that. But I get it, it is stupid. The marketing team was probably required to by the legal team. I mean you would hate someone making shirts that say "THE Ohio State University" and the school not be able to profit off it..... right?
I got my MUP at the Universty at Buffalo. Not the University of Buffalo. University AT Buffalo. Can you trademark a preposition?

buffalo.jpg

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Mine is from the place where they Major in Social Unrest, but I spent my first impressionable year playing the world's greatest college fight song.

View attachment 25104

O-H ... NO!
I contemplated saying we should all hate on MSU, but decided Alabama was a safer bet for universal Cyburbia hate. :)

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Should I admit that this looks kinda like my kitchen? Formica countertops, faux brick veneer, drawers with knobs...heck, I believe that is literally the same model oven in the photo that we've got.
Looks better than my 1961 kitchen in my 1947 house. I have the cbinet handles with the obsolete screw spacing so you can't just swap them out.

AG74683

Cyburbian
This is why I bought a house that cost a little more than I really wanted to spend. Kitchens here aren't even 60's/70's, they're more like 50's/60's. The house I bought had the kitchen completely redone already. New cabinets and quartz countertops plus new appliances (well new in 2010). Kitchens sell houses.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I smashed my toe on my wine fridge on Sunday night. It's almost completely black and purple and hurts, but I don't think there's much I can do with it besides let it heal.

What a first world problem...

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I smashed my toe on my wine fridge on Sunday night. It's almost completely black and purple and hurts, but I don't think there's much I can do with it besides let it heal.

What a first world problem...
I once broke my big toe. It ended up looking like an eggplant. Found out there is nothing you can do for broken toes except tape them and let them heal.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I once broke my big toe. It ended up looking like an eggplant. Found out there is nothing you can do for broken toes except tape them and let them heal.
I opened the freezer once barefoot and had a huge plastic ice pack fall out and land on my big toe. I had never experienced blinding pain before in my life, but that's what it was. My toenail was black for six months but nothing broken anyhow.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I contemplated saying we should all hate on MSU, but decided Alabama was a safer bet for universal Cyburbia hate. :)
I was in their (note usage!) for two years, but when the horrific assault scandal** broke, informed the alumni folks that I needed to not hear from them until further notice.

**that would be the one involving gymnasts. There were others caused by footballers, and even the band director.

Planit

Cyburbian
AG - Why did you kick the wine fridge? Were you mad at it for some reason? Don't you like it anymore? Isn't it doing nice things for your wine? Are your a wine abuser?

DVD

Cyburbian
Finally got a new oven installed yesterday. Don't buy Ikea appliances. They suck. The house came loaded with them. The new oven is a used Viking we bought off some lady who fixed up her kitchen. My wife almost had tears when she saw the oven working. It's been a few weeks trying to repair the Ikea crap.

I just have to ask...is there a second Ohio State University that they have to declare they are THE university. I'm not talking most states that have a State U and U of State. Ohio is implying there is a second State U and if there is, are they so jealous of this tiny State U that they must shove it in their face all the time that they are THE university?

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a Kenner SSP car that was really similar. I really lusted for a Smash-Up Derby set, though.

I got my MUP at the Universty at Buffalo. Not the University of Buffalo. University AT Buffalo. Can you trademark a preposition?

View attachment 25106
Rutgers officially is Rutgers University, The State University of New Jersey.

1566312500244.png

There is no New Jersey State or University of New Jersey like many other states have.

DVD

Cyburbian
This is why I always forget where Rutgers is. If it doesn't have State U or U of State I'm lost.

Planit

Cyburbian
Because the Planning Department recommended and purchased the crosswalk system at the local high school, the Planning Department is responsible for setting the system to blink at certain times or not at all.

I turned off the system in June for the summer. I just spent the last 2 hours remembering how to set it back up and turn it on.

It now blinks from 6:00 am to 9:30 pm on weekdays only.

AG74683

Cyburbian
AG - Why did you kick the wine fridge? Were you mad at it for some reason? Don't you like it anymore? Isn't it doing nice things for your wine? Are your a wine abuser?
No, my dear wine fridge keeps my reds at 55 and my whites at 48, perfect for drinking at any time (yes, I know long term storage of whites shouldn't be that low, but I want it cold immediately!). It's in a really awkward place in my kitchen between the main fridge, a counter, and an entry way. I've known for at least 2 years that at some point this was going to happen.

I just have to ask...is there a second Ohio State University that they have to declare they are THE university. I'm not talking most states that have a State U and U of State. Ohio is implying there is a second State U and if there is, are they so jealous of this tiny State U that they must shove it in their face all the time that they are THE university?
Ohio State University of Miami..

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the most confusing schools, yes, is Miami University in Ohio! I have a close friend who went to planning school there and it's really crazy

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Because the Planning Department recommended and purchased the crosswalk system at the local high school, the Planning Department is responsible for setting the system to blink at certain times or not at all.

I turned off the system in June for the summer. I just spent the last 2 hours remembering how to set it back up and turn it on.

...and other duties as assigned...

Boy, that could be a whole thread right there.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Because the Planning Department recommended and purchased the crosswalk system at the local high school, the Planning Department is responsible for setting the system...
Uhhh?!

One of the most confusing schools, yes, is Miami University in Ohio! I have a close friend who went to planning school there and it's really crazy
Well, that's mainly due to the history of the native american Miamis that lived across much of SW OH. There's the Great Miami River that runs through Dayton, the little Miami river that's a tributary, there's Miami Townhsip in both Miami County, OH and Montgomery County, OH and the City of Miamisburg within Miami Township, Montgomery County, OH that has the Great Miami River running through it. Also, much of the Dayton region is in the Miami Valley and the regional MPO is named The Miami Valley Regional Planning Commission.

Am I missing any others, Hink? ;)

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My dad lived in Miamitown, Ohio until he was about 7 or 8 (we still have a lot of relatives down that way). Miamitown is not to be confused with Miamisburg. Neither of which are in Miami County, Ohio nor are any of those places the location of Miami University. Before I realized all of those places are named for a Native American tribe I used to get really confused as to why they were all named after some place in Florida. But wait - Miami, Florida is named for the Miami River and the Miami people down there. But that's not remotely connected to the Miami tribe in Ohio and was originally the Mayaimi until it got changed somewhere along the way... probably by somebody from Ohio who just wanted to put their stamp on everything.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Uhhh?!

Well, that's mainly due to the history of the native american Miamis that lived across much of SW OH. There's the Great Miami River that runs through Dayton, the little Miami river that's a tributary, there's Miami Townhsip in both Miami County, OH and Montgomery County, OH and the City of Miamisburg within Miami Township, Montgomery County, OH that has the Great Miami River running through it. Also, the much of greater Dayton region is in the Miami Valley and the regional MPO is named The Miami Valley Regional Planning Commission.

Am I missing any others, Hink? ;)
Indians are big in Ohio. The Miami Indians were very prevalent in Ohio. Hence all the names of Miami this or that. Miami-Erie Canal, Miami Jacobs, etc. I could go on and on. Ohio loves our history when it comes to Miami's. With that said, none of them have beaches. I wouldn't come to Ohio for the beaches....

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
And Miami University is located in Oxford, OH, so it couldn't be called Oxford University, as that would have been extra confusing....I guess.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Don't forget:
  • Indiana University of Pennsylvania
  • California University of Pennsylvania
  • Cornell College (Iowa)
  • Pittsburg State University (Kansas)
  • Washington University of St. Louis
  • The multitude of schools named Concordia College/University/Seminary

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Adding to the list -

Albany State University is in Georgia, not New York

Bowling Green State University is in Bowling Green, Ohio not Bowling Green, Kentucky

University of Providence is in Montana, not Rhode Island

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member

How did I miss this

post of the day

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The multitude of schools named Concordia College/University/Seminary
That's the generic name for Lutheran universities.

It's kind of like Magnolia. It's become a popular name in the wake of the Fixer Upper TV show (Chip & Joanna Gaines), and even without that, it's overused here in Fort Worth. There are at least three claims to the name:

. West Magnolia Ave., the main business drag of the Fairmount Historic District on the city's near southside. When you talk about Magnolia in Fort Worth, most people think you're talking about something in this area.
. Magnolia Motor Lounge, a bar/restaurant/music club built in a former transmission shop in the city's West 7th area (nowhere near Fairmount). Not sure why they picked this name, but the place has been around for a few years now (but established long after Fairmount and West Magnolia became popular).
. The Magnolia at XXXX, a series of apartment buildings in Fort Worth (and Dallas and Austin) built by Crimson Building Co., sprinkled all over the city.

DVD

Cyburbian
So Ohio couldn't do the Cali thing and use initials like UCLA UCSC, etc? Or follow the San Diego State method then the other people in the division can make fun of it because San Diego is not a state. Still sounds like a bit of an inferiority complex going on that tOSU needs to bully Miami of Ohio.

Actual stupid planning stuff.
My town has no frontage requirement. We have a lot width requirement measured at the setback line. This is creating a stupid lot by someone some old old ex planning manager who knows the rules well enough to argue them. We do require that you can have a driveway on the same property, but I don't think 10' is going to cut it. Figure out that we don't want your stupid lot split.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actual stupid planning stuff.
My town has no frontage requirement. We have a lot width requirement measured at the setback line. This is creating a stupid lot by someone some old old ex planning manager who knows the rules well enough to argue them. We do require that you can have a driveway on the same property, but I don't think 10' is going to cut it. Figure out that we don't want your stupid lot split.
OMG same (we're twins, how wonderful!) - seriously, I don't' understand!

AG74683

Cyburbian
I had my first class for the EMT stuff last night. It's going to be interesting and I think probably a lot of fun. The folks teaching it are all fantastic and incredibly passionate about what they do. There's a lot of work to it though. I was under the impression that the weekend class times from 8-5 were for the ride along type things. Those are actually just skills days where we learn more hands on stuff with the advanced EMT classes. The actual clinical's are on our own time and we need at least 72 hours with a minimum of 10 patient interactions.

I might be the only one in there who hasn't really responded to some sort of traumatic incident. I'm not quite sure how I'll handle that. I guess we shall see. If all goes well, I might be able to pick this up as a part time job during the weekends.