• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2019

michaelskis

Cyburbian
As one of the three(?) cyburbians that actually have a degree (or two) from The UofM, I'll settle it from now on....we're cool.

Right now, OSU can have football, UM gets basketball (we'll see next year though) and maybe it'll flop-flip in a couple years.

Though right now, let's all hate on Alabama where it's clearly deserved. :p
I admit that I do not have a degree from U of M. But I grew up in a family of U of M fans and married a U of M Alumni... or is it U OF M...

So with that, I will say what needs to be said... GO BLUE.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
If I were a wild animal I would totally vacation in Florida and just eat fish and call myself a pescatarian.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I had my windows down last night and it rained and stuff in the Jeep got kind of wet. I left them down overnight to try and help dry it out. Now everything is a sticky nasty mess inside.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
For your community, what percentage of the water used goes to non-residential uses such as industrial and commerical activities?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I had my windows down last night and it rained and stuff in the Jeep got kind of wet. I left them down overnight to try and help dry it out. Now everything is a sticky nasty mess inside.
If it starts smelling musty, Right Guard deodorant spray and those vented boxes of baking soda help get rid of that smell. I did something similar about a year ago- I got caught in a rain storm at the park with my dogs. By the time I got them loaded into the car, it was a wet mess. The rain clear off so I left the windows open overnight so it could dry out and it poured again overnight. Right Guard and baking soda got the car back to normal.

Planit

Cyburbian
Unless you're hanging out with DVD, I wouldn't leave my windows down over night. The morning dew will form inside the car too...on every surface.

How do I know this you ask? Experience.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I leave my windows down all the time (I do park in a garage overnight though) and my Jeep is always a humid, musty, sticky mess inside of it this time of year. This morning I was digging around in my little change area for a quarter for a parking meter and found a big fuzzy bumblebee in there. I think he had been in there a while and he was moving pretty slow and I tried to gently shoo him out the door but he didn't seem interested in leaving. He's dead now. Won't my mommy be so proud of me?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Unless you're hanging out with DVD, I wouldn't leave my windows down over night. The morning dew will form inside the car too...on every surface.

This is exactly what happened I think. It's nasty in there.

If it starts smelling musty, Right Guard deodorant spray and those vented boxes of baking soda help get rid of that smell. I did something similar about a year ago- I got caught in a rain storm at the park with my dogs. By the time I got them loaded into the car, it was a wet mess. The rain clear off so I left the windows open overnight so it could dry out and it poured again overnight. Right Guard and baking soda got the car back to normal.
Good idea, I'll snag that this afternoon.

DVD

Cyburbian

Here it's actually better to keep your windows down. You leave them rolled up and it gets super hot in the car. The down side to hanging out with me is that I never use the AC in the car. I just roll down the windows. My wife hates it and demands I use the AC and burn extra gas.

AG74683

Cyburbian
We just had a call to a "vehicle fire". It was a tar trailer that had a little bit of smoke coming out. :rolleyes:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Had a bout of kidney stones yesterday. ouch.
Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

I have occasional gout flareups. Doctors don't know what causes it, since I have a fairly low purine diet, don't have any co-morbid medical conditions, and I'm only about 15 pounds overweight. I also had some nasty bursitis in my left elbow last year, and don't have a clue about what caused it.

old_men.jpg

Maybe I should change my avatar to something more appropriate.

spanish-american war.png

Everybody off my lawn! Remember the Maine!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I had 30 minutes to spare before I have to pick up Itty Bitty so I thought I would catch up on some things on my laptop (rather than mobile). I am now on who knows what update and have to leave in 5 minutes.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Here it's actually better to keep your windows down. You leave them rolled up and it gets super hot in the car. The down side to hanging out with me is that I never use the AC in the car. I just roll down the windows. My wife hates it and demands I use the AC and burn extra gas.
Same.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Actually there are plenty of studies that show that once you gain any appreciable speed the fuel usage is the same for windows down or AC because of the drag created by the open windows. If you like the windows down just own it.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the windows down when it's less than 85 degrees out or if it's not humid

I brought a ham sandwich in for lunch today from home but I don't think that's going to cut it...

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Actually there are plenty of studies that show that once you gain any appreciable speed the fuel usage is the same for windows down or AC because of the drag created by the open windows. If you like the windows down just own it.
This is demonstrably false in my Fiat 500. My mileage for a given tank of gas is 2-3 mpg lower with the AC running. I think it's because the car is so underpowered so adding more load to the engine is a significant efficiency driver.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Cruelty!

The power suddenly went out about an hour ago and while we waited patiently for it to return, the Boss Man said we could go home!

Just as we were headed out the door ... the damn power came back!

It's cruelty, I tell you!:worried:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Why do people think we are a phone book here? No I don't have the number to another zoning department. Google it.
I can occasionally here the woman in the office next to me on the phone and when she gets a wrong number she will happily sit on the phone with the person for 10 minutes trying to find them the right number or person or trying to diagnose how they got her number rather than whoever they were actually trying to reach. I can understand the desire to serve and be helpful but I'm with you, I'm not a phone book or a switchboard operator.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I can occasionally here the woman in the office next to me on the phone and when she gets a wrong number she will happily sit on the phone with the person for 10 minutes trying to find them the right number or person or trying to diagnose how they got her number rather than whoever they were actually trying to reach. I can understand the desire to serve and be helpful but I'm with you, I'm not a phone book or a switchboard operator.
Admittedly, I'm not the most patient soul in the world. Occasionally, I have worked the front counter when some coworkers have been a little too friendly and helpful and I've overheard 'wrong number' conversations that went on for FIVE MINUTES or more. This is fine if nothing else is going on but when two lines are ringing and three people are standing at the counter you might want to prioritize 'customer service' a little more judiciously. :yell:

DVD

Cyburbian
Yep, I like my windows down. I'll own it. I really likes the old trucks and cars that had the triangle window you could use to vent air in. They should bring those back.

I checked my messages and seem to have all the crazy calls today. Not world class, but still crazy. Can I build a bunch of duplexes on this hill. Um, good luck with that. Can I turn my street into a cul-de-sac. I'm sure when I call this one back I get to hear all about how people race up and down the street when all I want to do is give her a number for the streets dept. so they can deal with it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
When I broke my, it looked like an eggplant-same color and everything.
Ah good. At least I know the toe won't shrivel up and fall off.

Well, this is a first for me. A guy filed a solid waste complaint....on his own property. I guess he leases a house on it? I don't send violation letters to tenants, they go to the owner of the property. So he just played himself.

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Ah good. At least I know the toe won't shrivel up and fall off.

Well, this is a first for me. A guy filed a solid waste complaint....on his own property. I guess he leases a house on it? I don't send violation letters to tenants, they go to the owner of the property. So he just played himself.
At times, it would have felt better had it shriveled up and fell off.

I've have people file complaints on their own property before. It's normally because of a problem tenet or family member. They use us as an excuse to force the person to clean up the property.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Why do people think we are a phone book here? No I don't have the number to another zoning department. Google it.
I always say that I do not have their number, but can google it. The person usually takes the hint to google it themselves.

DVD

Cyburbian
You know what sucks...getting all the messages of your phone, stepping out for something real quick and coming back to another message.

kms

Cyburbian

In other news, my toe is now basically black. That probably isn't good.
One of the engineers from the Big Brother agency would ask me how could he find people's phone numbers. I finally said that he’d have to find them the same way I did, by looking them up. He drove me mad, and I complained to his supervisor about his neediness and to make it stop.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It $ucks hearing that somebody you knew growing up (45-50 yrs ago) & same age passing away.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I enjoy falling asleep to rain. I would prefer to not have to drive to work in it though. Who did the rain dance?

Planit

Cyburbian
I was driving to a restaurant last evening starring at the very dark cloud in front me. It was quite breezy and the temperature had dropped a few degrees. About a 1/4 mile from the place big drops started hitting the windshield, so I closed the windows and sunroof. I made it there a little bit damp but not soaked. I'm glad I didn't have to drive in the downpour.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I know a lot of planners here probably don't like being 'put in the middle' of situations, but I don't usually mind those opportunities to serve as a 'mediator' of sorts between warring factions.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Just noticed ursus is 8 posts away from joining the Clubbbbbe. Quick, we need to draw him into a thread. Any ideas what topics might provoke or entice him to participate?