• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Originally posted by Bear Up North

My fellow Cyburbians:
As we welcome in a new year, we sadly say "goodbye" to an old friend and with the grin that made slackers famous, we welcome a new friend.

The RANDOM THOUGHTS THREAD has been part of our lives for many a post. The thread has given us reason to laugh, made us cry, once in a while encouraged a wink or two. Even though tagged with a RANDOM line, the thread was often not so "random". Cyburbians used it to test the waters on a thought and would, once in a while, create a thread with a central theme first posted on the Random Thread.

The original Random Thread will be quietly laid to rest. The ideas, thoughts, observations, complaints, shouts of joy, exclamations of disgust.....they will still be in the archived files. But we all know that time makes us forget, and there are many things that were shared in the original thread that time will HELP us forget.

As we begin to fill this new (and exciting! ) thread with our "randoms", let's take a moment to thank all of those who contributed to the original thread. But more importantly.....let's roll out the red Cyburbian carpet for "newbies" and others to join us. We look forward to a better world.....jump-started on this 3rd day of January, 2007.....go forth and gather thy randoms.

Oh yeah.....

Road trip.

Bear
Happy 2020 everyone. Another year of random thoughts. Another year in the memory of BUN. The best of us keeps it going. Keep what's important at the forefront. Jobs can be replaced, family and can't.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Happy 2020 everyone. Another year of random thoughts. Another year in the memory of BUN. The best of us keeps it going. Keep what's important at the forefront. Jobs can be replaced, family and can't.
Thanks you for starting the new thread.

I went to bed a bit after midnight, and slept in to 11:00 AM. I think I've been getting more boring as the years roll on.

The last NYE blowout I went to was over 20 years ago, when I was living in Denver. I went to a big hotel party with an outdoors adventure group I belonged to. At the party, I saw an ex-girlfriend, who was with a date -- which seemed to be going well. I'm kind of shy, and I knew I probably wasn't going to hook up with anybody that night. Not a good time.

So, since then, NYE has been kind of quiet. For 2000, sone friends from New Mexico came to visit. We went out onto a remote grassland, where we couldn't see any artificial lights in the distance, lit a fire, and listened to the WWV time signal bring in the new millennium. It was perfect.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
So, in a typical day on Cyburbia, 40 to 50 members log on. (The don't always post, of course.) A typical weekday will have anywhere from 60 to 120 posts boardwide.

52 weeks per year x 5 work days = 260 weekdays. Subtract holidays and floating days, and it's more like 240 days/year where the site is busy.

10,000 posts / 240 = 42 posts/day in RTDNTOTO, not including splits. If 20 members of the 40 or 50 that log on every day post a post two messages a day in this thread, we can easily break 10K this year, and that's not including a year end postathon. Can't ignore the on-topic forums, though.

So, even if I feel like I don't have much to say, I'll try to post two messages a day in this thread. Even on weekends, when traffic on Cyburbia is usually slow.

kms

Cyburbian
I was in a group where the question came up - how would you rate your 2019 on a scale from 1 - 10, with 10 being the highest. Well, I chose 10. I had a few moments that were pretty low, but the 10’s outweighed the low times.

2020 will be just as good for me, and I wish the same for all of you.

It's a Mitsubishi Mirage, just about the cheapest car you can buy new. That's probably all they could afford, and color wasn't a consideration.
It’s definitely for late teens/early 20’s girls who were buying their first new car.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
It's a Mitsubishi Mirage, just about the cheapest car you can buy new. That's probably all they could afford, and color wasn't a consideration.
Yep. I was in one last year when my daughter was test driving cars. I think it was a 2015 or '16 and they were asking $7,500. It was OK but a little noisy.

She ended up buying a 2010 Kia Forte instead..

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
A Kia Forte is a much, much better car. I had a 2005 Hyundai Elantra (built on the same platform as the Forte) and it was fantastic for me. My son is still driving it.

I will say that I wish more people drove Mirages and fewer people drove Ford Expeditions and the like. I know some people frequently need a large vehicle, but most people, in my opinion, drive far more car than that need.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
THE MYSTERIOUS PLAQUES ON CENTRAL PARK BENCHES

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
A Kia Forte is a much, much better car. I had a 2005 Hyundai Elantra (built on the same platform as the Forte) and it was fantastic for me. My son is still driving it.
Indeed, but I think she liked the Mirage solely because it was 6 years newer and got much better mileage. She certainly likes the Forte now, but does complain about the gas mileage. I try and tell her that when I got my first car, gas was over $3.50/gallon (adjusted for inflation) and my car got about 12 miles per gallon.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I know many people who did not have a good 2019. I feel for them, however 2019 was awesome for me. Yes there changes and difficulties, but I learned from them and they became blessing for me. I am looking forward if it is half as awesome as 2019 was.

On the other hand, today I take a moment to think about Bear Up North. I met him in a bar before Stan Fest 1.There was just something that drew us together before the event started.He did not have degree or a job in planning, but he understood who we were, what we were about, and more so what we loved and he embraced it all. So on this New Year, I raise my glass of moonshine to you Bear! May we all learn from your passions. Let’s make 2020 something he would be proud of.

Reactions: kms

kms

Cyburbian
BUN emailed a holiday greeting during a very low time in my life. I wasn’t talking about it to people outside my little circle, but I feel like he sensed I could use a well wish. I remember this every year at this time, and how that message made me feel lovable at a time where I most needed to feel loved.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Christmas decorations are down and packed up. The worst part was getting the lights off the tree. Next year - not wrapping the lights around the center pole of the tree. Lesson Learned!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
No christmas decorations here to take out or put away.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Good morning, Cyburbia! So I disappeared for NYE night... sorry. It turns out people were coming over. Maybe someone should have told me? Ahh well. Let's get to another year of goodness!

P.S. I love our community. And all the people who make the annual NYE post-a-thon special. The total number puts us in good company! I would have pushed to get over the 2015 total if I wasn't MIA. Damn...

--------------1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000, 8000, 9,000, 10,000, 11,000, 12,000, Closing #
#15 - 2020 -
#14 - 2019 - 02-12, 04-05, 05-24, 07-15, 08-30, 10-17, 12-05, 12-24, 12-31, 9,484
#13 - 2018 - 03-16, 05-31, 08-10, 11-05, 12-31, 5,115
#12 - 2017 - 02-28, 05-23, 08-24, 11-28, 12-29, 5,096
#11 - 2016 - 02-09, 03-23, 05-12, 07-01, 08-18, 10-12, 12-07, 12-31, 8,072
#10 - 2015 - 02-06, 04-06, 06-15, 08-14, 10-01, 11-29, 12-30, 12-31, 12-31, 9,570
# 9 -- 2014 - 01-31, 03-12, 05-21, 08-09, 10-21, 12-11, 12-30, 12-31, 12-31, 9,291
# 8 -- 2013 - 01-18, 02-12, 03-22, 04-22, 05-17, 06-20, 07-30, 09-16, 11-13, 12-19, 12-31, 12-31, 12,050
# 7 -- 2012 - 02-23, 05-12, 07-10, 09-12, 11-06, 12-06, 12-28, 12-31, 12-31, 9,327
# 6 -- 2011 - 02-25, 04-12, 05-26, 06-30, 08-10, 10-05, 12-05, 12-31, 8,041
# 5 -- 2010 - 03-04, 05-09, 07-26, 09-22, 11-24, 5,563
# 4 -- 2009 - 02-19, 04-24, 07-13, 10-07, 12-31, 5,004
# 3 -- 2008 - 04-04, 07-07, 09-23, 12-22, 4,085
# 2 -- 2007 - 03-10, 05-19, 07-24, 10-11, 4,862
# 1 Original RTDNTOTO - 2004-2007 - 13,142

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Who the f**k drives a purple/pink car?

View attachment 47661
I'm not going to hold that against anyone, we could use more color variety. Take a look at air photos of almost any parking in recent years and pretty much only three colors are represented: white, black, and silver. There might be a gold here and there, but any other color outlier is the exception that proves the rule. Compare photographs of parking lots from, say 1975 with 2019 and it becomes quite apparent.

Watching Richard Pryor Live In Concert on Netflix. Dude was funny.
I saw a clip of Richard Pryor doing stand up not long ago and was surprised at how well it had aged. That's unusual for comedy.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
AIB BUN

Lake Superior State University’s 45th Annual List Of Banished Words

Quid pro quo:
This phrase received the most nominations this year, with a noticeable spike in November (gee, we wonder why…). The popularity of this phrase has the committee wondering what it should offer in exchange for next year’s nominations.
What other words would you have nominated ?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Woo-hoo! I'm here at work and still have an f-up kitchen (and for the next 2-3 months at least).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
In 30 words or less, what characterizes a 'southern gothic' novel?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Welcome to 2020 Cyburbians! This is going to be a rough 2 day work week after being off for the past 15 days!

I went to bed a bit after midnight, and slept in to 11:00 AM. I think I've been getting more boring as the years roll on.

The last NYE blowout I went to was over 20 years ago, when I was living in Denver. I went to a big hotel party with an outdoors adventure group I belonged to. At the party, I saw an ex-girlfriend, who was with a date -- which seemed to be going well. I'm kind of shy, and I knew I probably wasn't going to hook up with anybody that night. Not a good time.

So, since then, NYE has been kind of quiet. For 2000, sone friends from New Mexico came to visit. We went out onto a remote grassland, where we couldn't see any artificial lights in the distance, lit a fire, and listened to the WWV time signal bring in the new millennium. It was perfect.
I don't think I've ever actually gone to an actual NYE party, nor have I ever had any desire to. If I were single I'd probably be in bed by about 10:30 as I am most nights but my wife likes me to stay up to watch the festivities in Times Square on TV with her. The closest I've come to an actual party is taking my kids to the Noon Year's Eve party at the library the past few years to make crafts, drink sparkling cider, and dance in the balloons and confetti that drop from the ceiling after counting down to noon.

Otherwise, our NYE usually consists of take out Chinese from the same place every year and a big thing of punch made from 7-Up and sherbert. The kids are in bed by 8:00 and my wife and I watch a movie and then the ball drop (this year's movie was Spider-Man Homecoming). Usually I'd have a glass or two of champagne but this year I had eggnog. our oldest is about 9 and a half and I thought she might request staying up until midnight this year but she never even mentioned it.

Planit

Cyburbian
Good morning folks.

I always thought Mirage was a bad name for a car. You only think its a car.
Also the Ford Aspire - it aspires to be a car.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Good morning folks.

I always thought Mirage was a bad name for a car. You only think its a car.
Also the Ford Aspire - it aspires to be a car.
BEHOLD! .....

Image result for gm impact

The GM Impact

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Southern Gothic Novel checklist:

1. A cemetery
  2. someone saying "well, before the war..."
  3. paper fan usage
  4. many offerings of sweet tea or lemonade
  5. many pours of bourbon
  6. a truck with a squeaky door slam
  7. Yankee-bashing or use of the term "up north"
  8. steamy scenes in the rain
  9. references to Charleston or Savannah
  10. someone going to Missississippi or Alabama to play football in college

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm not going to hold that against anyone, we could use more color variety. Take a look at air photos of almost any parking in recent years and pretty much only three colors are represented: white, black, and silver. There might be a gold here and there, but any other color outlier is the exception that proves the rule. Compare photographs of parking lots from, say 1975 with 2019 and it becomes quite apparent.
I have a blue car, partly because I'm a bit tired of everything being black, white, or gray. I'm also a fan of maroon, but I think their "cops pull over red cars more" reputation keeps the color from being more popular. Having owned two red cars in a row, getting pulled over at least once a year while driving them, and then having the police ignore me after owing cars with different colors, I think there might be some truth to the urban legend.

Some car colors have a negative connotation because of changing styles, and their association with "old" things. Beige? Boring. Brown? Old people and their Buicks, although brown now has a strange cult following. Green? 1970s kitchens and 1990s crunchiness. You don't see cars with green, burgundy, or blue interiors now, either -- it's mostly black, gray, or dark khaki/leather. Not that I miss this:

classy_car_interior.jpg

Ever notice that it seems like some cars came in just one color? The roads of east suburban Buffalo were once filled with powder blue Plymouth Reliants and Dodge Arieses. (Is that the plural of Aries?) The few surviving examples of K-cars I see today are also usually powder blue.

one_of_dose_der-k_cars_der.jpg

I think green was the only color available for new Subaru Foresters until 2005 or so. All pre-2010 Buick Regals are beige.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I do NOT have to go to the Health Department after all. They opted to cancel the emergency room portion of the clinicals because no one had their stuff together and she needed it all by today.

I did find out that immunization records are pretty difficult to locate.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
11. An attorney who wears seersucker suits.
12. A grizzled sheriff who has seen things..
13. A tough but sharp-as-a-tack "broad" who lives in a mobile home or a run-down house on the wrong side of the track. She's also seen things.
14. Slow ceiling fans.
15. Oppressive humidity.
16. For settings in the 1970s, jarring adjustment to the "New South".
17. A streamlined Greyhound bus that makes stops in the middle of nowhere.
18. The blues.
19. In Louisiana, someone named "Beauregard."
20. A paper mill or textile factory.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
13. A tough but sharp-as-a-tack "broad" who lives in a mobile home or a run-down house on the wrong side of the track. She's also seen things.
14. Slow ceiling fans.
15. Oppressive humidity.
18. The blues.
awesome, yes, omg

Big Owl

Cyburbian

1. A cemetery
  3. paper fan usage
  5. many pours of bourbon
With the exception of 8* and 10**, you described a typical week for me. Just to put it out there, I use the term up north to define anyone or thing that lives or is located geographically north of me. It irritates my extremely southern father when I tell him that I don't care how he does it up north.

*Most everything that occurs during the months of June, July, August, and September is steamy due to the heat and humidity, rain or not.

**I did have a cousin that hurt himself playing football in Mississippi but it was during a touch football game that occurred outside Bilox during a hurricane relief trip.

Bubba

Cyburbian

1. A cemetery
  3. paper fan usage
  5. many pours of bourbon
:down:

Bubba

Cyburbian
14. Slow ceiling fans.
15. Oppressive humidity.
18. The blues.
:down:

estromberg

Cyburbian
The closest I've come to an actual party is taking my kids to the Noon Year's Eve party at the library the past few years to make crafts, drink sparkling cider, and dance in the balloons and confetti that drop from the ceiling after counting down to noon.
That sounds awesome. I'm going to suggest this to the librarian of the City I work for.

estromberg

Cyburbian
Some car colors have a negative connotation because of changing styles, and their association with "old" things. Beige? Boring. Brown? Old people and their Buicks, although brown now has a strange cult following. Green? 1970s kitchens and 1990s crunchiness. You don't see cars with green, burgundy, or blue interiors now, either -- it's mostly black, gray, or dark khaki/leather. Not that I miss this:

Ever notice that it seems like some cars came in just one color? The roads of east suburban Buffalo were once filled with powder blue Plymouth Reliants and Dodge Arieses. (Is that the plural of Aries?) The few surviving examples of K-cars I see today are also usually powder blue.
My first car was a powder blue Dodge Aries. I remember when I was in high school, my mom had a Champagne Olds 98 with maroon fabric interior like that.

Reactions: Dan

AG74683

Cyburbian
Ugh, I just realized that I'll have to make all my 2020 folders. I hate doing that. Usually I do it before the new year but I totally forgot this time.

Planit

Cyburbian
My oldest brother sent me an odd Happy New Years message. It did not seem like something he would send.

"This first day of the year is the first day of the rest of your life."

AG74683

Cyburbian
My oldest brother sent me an odd Happy New Years message. It did not seem like something he would send.

"This first day of the year is the first day of the rest of your life."
Well that seems very weird.

We had a wreck to go to last night. The woman who caused it merged onto the new bypass highway without looking and was sideswiped by an oncoming car. She claimed the car didn't have their headlights on. I thought she looked familiar but I couldn't figure out where I knew her from.

It dawned on me this morning that I think she was in our office for something she got caught doing and cried the same crocodile tears.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
In 30 words or less, what characterizes a 'southern gothic' novel?
According to Wikipedia-Southern Gothic is a subgenre of Gothic fiction in American literature that takes place in the American South.

Common themes in Southern Gothic literature include deeply flawed, disturbing or eccentric characters who may be involved in hoodoo,[1] decayed or derelict settings,[2] grotesque situations, and other sinister events relating to or stemming from poverty, alienation, crime, or violence.

Planit

Cyburbian
I need to work on a solid sleep schedule. What I'm doing now is not working all that well.