• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

michaelskis

Cyburbian
watching probably the greatest first half comeback in NFL playoff history as it happens. Still switching to This Old House Hour when it comes on in ~15 minutes
I was skeptical of the TOH insider, until they had the app for the Roku. My wife says I am obsessed but I try to balance that with Hockey. I was told they will be adding New Yankee Workshop to the streaming app for Apple TV, Roku, and others sometime in the next couple of years.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I would like to believe our country can get on it and provide faster broadband internet to everyone. Can't we just force spectrum or whomever to put in more lines so everyone can get service? How hard is that? Maybe we subsidize it and create millions of jobs.

I am so tired of having terrible internet... :cursing:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just had some oatmeal for breakfast at my desk as I am trying to keep to the 12 hour fast - my daughter wants me to do the 16 hour fast but I think that's code for skipping breakfast which always sounds like a good idea but when I hit the 14 hour mark, I am getting pretty hangry...

estromberg

Cyburbian
I would like to believe our country can get on it and provide faster broadband internet to everyone. Can't we just force spectrum or whomever to put in more lines so everyone can get service? How hard is that? Maybe we subsidize it and create millions of jobs.

I am so tired of having terrible internet... :cursing:
A good first step would be maps that are even REMOTELY accurate. The urban/rural divide is orders of magnitude larger than what is being reported.

Bubba

Cyburbian
From the “it’s a small world” files: read an article in the Atlanta paper this morning about a police shooting in south Georgia and the subsequent investigation by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation; turns out the GBI special agent in charge of the investigation was my next-door neighbor when we were kids.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
When I buy the smoker, I want to attempt smoked buffalo chicken dip. I think I'll try smoking the chicken first and then adding it to the dip. I suppose I could just smoke the whole dip though, that might be too much.
Smoke the chicken. Smoking the whole dip will be a smoktastraphy. Too much smoke flavor. Unless you are Guy Fieri, who maybe likes that kinda flavor town.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Smoke the chicken. Smoking the whole dip will be a smoktastraphy. Too much smoke flavor. Unless you are Guy Fieri, who maybe likes that kinda flavor town.
I'll try it. I really want to do Cheezits too.

maister likes smoked beers
I've only ever had one of those and they're kinda funky. I think I might like it though. It doesn't appear that smoking beer is that easy though. You basically need to smoke the ingredients and then make the beer as normal.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I had a committee meeting this morning. Usually a good group - follows the agenda, stays within overall time constraints, has good suggestions/ideas, can get technical but in a good way, and has some overall just nice people on it. One of the subcommittees just finished a project (yeah!) and another subcommittee just started a different project. The subcommittee members are pretty chill, too.

Then there's Karen*.

She comes, on average, to half the meetings. Her tone, regardless of what she's saying, is condescending and can sometimes be rude. She has 1 topic that she harps on, and provides very little, if any, input on other topics. She leaves early (not rudely early, but still early) and doesn't pay attention to staff emails with followup info (we track who opens emails).

Karen was in fine form today. The meeting was going well until her 1 topic came up, then she derailed things for a while. Again - the tone! And she won't stop harping until someone gives her what she wants. If she hadn't been there today, I would have said it was a great meeting. Now, I can simply say it pretty good and we voted on what we needed to vote on. I guess that's still a win, but listening to her is a real beat down.

*Not her real name, but she did have the haircut. She's growing it out now . . .

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've only ever had one of those and they're kinda funky. I think I might like it though. It doesn't appear that smoking beer is that easy though. You basically need to smoke the ingredients and then make the beer as normal.
Funky? You wouldn't say that if you ever sampled this ambrosia:

Image result for aecht schlenkerla rauchbier

DVD

Cyburbian
Just took in some plans to do a cool brew house at our expo center. It'll have a balcony overlooking the entrance to give conference goers a place to enjoy the sun and the beer. Might not be a place for laefest, but still cool. It over looks the artsy nude statues across the street from the Catholic church.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
A community not far from Maister will be getting an indoor dog park that will have a bar with food. Is this a good idea?

zman

Cyburbian
I would say rich. They'll show you better cars.
Poor. I know what car I want. I want them to think I can only buy it if I get a good price.
I would agree with Doohickie. I only shop for cars when I know the exact car (or truck in this case) I want and if that car is on the lot.
I would want the best price.

I will not shop while dressed for work in a suit. Jeans and a hoodie like I did over the weekend.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A community not far from Maister will be getting an indoor dog park that will have a bar with food. Is this a good idea?
Alcohol consumption combined with close proximity to potentially aggressive carnivores in a strange new environment....what could possibly go wrong? It's not like they're opening a cesspool of bloodshed and violence, you know, like a Chuck E. Cheese. I mean c'mon! :r:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Oof, bad wreck today. Car on fire with 3 people trapped. About 5 people stopped and got everyone out before they got burned up. One died at the scene, 2 were transported to the hospital, one being a young kid.

DVD

Cyburbian
Car shopping story...

The dad of an old girlfriend back in high school only drove a Cadillac. Top of the line. I only saw this guy in shorts (usually cut off) and t-shirts. Not an attractive look. I never saw him in work clothes which was a suit. He was a regional rep for RJ Reynolds. So he goes to the downtown dealership dressed in his usual shirt and raggedy shorts and no one would help him. So he drives out to another dealership and buys his car. Monday on his way home from work in his new car and dressed in his suit he stops at the downtown dealership. Three people come running out to meet him, but he pulled out his inner Karen and demanded to see the manager. After several requests someone finally gets the manager. He tells the manager that he came on Saturday and that guy (points a finger to some poor sales rep) wouldn't help me so I bought this car at the other dealership and here's the invoice. Just wanted you to know your sales force sucks. And he left.

Reactions: kms

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
@AG74683 - That sounds like a very rough way to start the morning, for everybody involved. One more reason I could never be a paramedic, firefighter, or police officer!

Get to do a vehicle impound in 20 minutes. That makes me like, a repo man!
Is this part of your job description? What sort of vehicle would a municipal planner or code enforcement person be impounding?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I wonder if I sent someone flowers and balloons with a card that read "Congradulations on your retirement!"; if they would get the hint and retire. To my knowledge, they are not planning on retiring but they should.
You're not talking about any Cyburbian are ya ?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
@AG74683 - That sounds like a very rough way to start the morning, for everybody involved. One more reason I could never be a paramedic, firefighter, or police officer!

Is this part of your job description? What sort of vehicle would a municipal planner or code enforcement person be impounding?
The very best sort....pickup trucks! (sadly, not any F-150's )

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
What's the furthest from civilization you have ever been? (Not including flying.)
Probably somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean a few times when translanting back and forth from the East Coast of the U.S. to the Mediterranean. I also took a ship from Japan to near Darwin, Australia but we went through the Philippine Sea and the Banda Sea so I don't think we were ever too far from inhabited islands or other ships.

Not necessarily far from civilization, but I've always been interested with the poles of inaccessibility, especially the continental ones. I'd love to travel to the border of China and Kazakhstan and Mongolia around the city of Ürümqi that's the point on earth farthest from a navigable sea or coastline. I'd also love to take a Jeep or Land Rover across the Rub' al Khali from the Red Sea through Saudi Arabia all the way to Oman.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
What's the furthest from civilization you have ever been? (Not including flying.)
Hiking in the Rockies or walking in the outback in Australia. Or anywhere near my house as I have no internet.... ;)

Big Owl

Cyburbian
You're not talking about any Cyburbian are ya ?
Nah... but my statement could apply to the entire trio of issues that I am dealing with this morning, none of the three involves known cyburbians.

AG74683

Cyburbian
It wasn't good. They didn't even stop, just flew right off the corner into a tree. Very lucky that the bystanders were able to pull them out before it got bad. I got stuck in the front of the truck again so I didn't get to do too much.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Let's see ...
  • Somewhere in the Hectate Strait, British Columbia
  • Vik, Iceland
  • Gila National Forest, New Mexico
  • Somewhere on the "Big Empty" stretch of I-10, Texas
  • Northeast Colorado. Doesn't seem that far from civilization, but it's one of the few areas I've been where I saw no artificial light at night -- no distant city glow, no safety lighting from a well or agricultural structure, no FAA antenna lights. Just dark all around.