• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
My 89 yr old mom has moderate dementia and last night we sat around playing songs my parents played in the house when the kids were growing up. Suddenly she was in her 30's again . . . .
there is recent research that says that the part of the brain for music is not affected by dementia - so keep those songs going!

Reactions: kms

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
there is recent research that says that the part of the brain for music is not affected by dementia - so keep those songs going!
My grandmother could play the piano until the day she died at 96. She self taught herself and could play by ear. She wasn't sure who she was, or who any of the people around her were, but she knew the piano.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I love that. There are lots of places I have driven through that do that. Kansas, Georgia, and Indiana. I haven't seen it in Ohio though.
Seems like it used to be more of a thing 30-40 years ago. Like, I remember driving through NC, VA, and WV and seeing signs that said "Welcome to Suchandsuch; a zoned community"

kms

Cyburbian
Seems like it used to be more of a thing 30-40 years ago. Like, I remember driving through NC, VA, and WV and seeing signs that said "Welcome to Suchandsuch; a zoned community"
I see those signs here in SW PA.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Remember when Kobe raped a girl? just sayin...

I know we used to have those "Zoned Community" signs here in Michigan, or at least we did in the rural parts of St. Clair County where I grew up. There was a sign like that on my parents road and on the next road over that lead to the local library which was in the neighboring township and I can specifically remember asking my dad what that sign meant. Now that I'm reminded of those signs, I don't think they are there anymore. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for them next time I'm out there.

I also don't see signs announcing the community's population around anymore.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I got to see a needle chest decompression this weekend. It was freaking awesome. I mean, not so awesome for the guy, but really cool to see. I think he was okay. He got airlifted but I don't believe the injuries were immediately life threatening.

Planit

Cyburbian
A friend & I went to a building that we knew was going to be torn down. Property owner said we could rummage through it as there was nothing left in there he wanted. It used to be a furniture factory. I picked up a couple of hand tools, a cow hide (have no idea what I going to do with that) and some nice planks of wood that were bigger than scraps & therefore usable for various projects.

I also nabbed a refrigerator/freezer. It's bigger than a dorm frig but smaller that a normal sized one, but was very clean inside & out. Plugged it in and it ran. Took it home, found a place in the garage and plugged it in and sounded good. I put a bottle of water in the freezer section to see how it did. It didn't...still room temp water, no ice. Guess I know why it was left!?!?!? It's going out to the curb tonight.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I pointed this out to someone yesterday and got an icy look back. We live in a time where celebrity status practically gives folks license to commit crimes, or at a minimum receive automatic absolution.

• Wow

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I got to see a needle chest decompression this weekend. It was freaking awesome. I mean, not so awesome for the guy, but really cool to see. I think he was okay. He got airlifted but I don't believe the injuries were immediately life threatening.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, all of the first aid classes they gave us in the Marine Corps made me think that sucking chest wounds would be a lot more common problem in the real world and something I'd encounter all over the place. I still carry around a spare poncho with me just in case...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
On the opposite end of the spectrum, all of the first aid classes they gave us in the Marine Corps made me think that sucking chest wounds would be a lot more common problem in the real world and something I'd encounter all over the place. I still carry around a spare poncho with me just in case...
1. Start the breathing
2. Stop the bleeding
3. Protect the wound
4. Treat for shock

oh, and don't forget:
S-Situation
M-Mission
E-Execution
A-Administration and Logistics
C-Command and Signals

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
1. Start the breathing
2. Stop the bleeding
3. Protect the wound
4. Treat for shock

oh, and don't forget:
S-Situation
M-Mission
E-Execution
A-Administration and Logistics
C-Command and Signals

I work with a guy who served probably smack dab between your time and mine. I like to poke my head into his office (after pounding on the yellow handprint outside his door) and tell him "JJ DID TIE BUCKLE" or remind him that Fred Uses Extra Eggs Cooking Fried Chicken Legs.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I work with a guy who served probably smack dab between your time and mine. I like to poke my head into his office (after pounding on the yellow handprint outside his door) and tell him "JJ DID TIE BUCKLE" or remind him that Fred Uses Extra Eggs Cooking Fried Chicken Legs.
I was the 'prac private' in my platoon. Do you suppose other branches teach recruits to identify military awards and decorations like we did? I would imagine so.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Modern medicine is really amazing. The people that do modern medicine are even more amazing.

kms

Cyburbian
I pointed this out to someone yesterday and got an icy look back. We live in a time where celebrity status practically gives folks license to commit crimes, or at a minimum receive automatic absolution.
I don’t know how people justify this. Do they weigh good deeds versus bad deeds? Do they forget? Do they forgive?

I don’t care who you are or what you did. Dying in a crash like this, and possibly realizing you can’t save your child from it, has to be the worst feeling. I doubt I’d wish that on anyone, regardless of their history.

DVD

Cyburbian
I worked in one of those Kansas counties with the we have zoning sign. I should have taken one with me.

I pointed that out along with the giant canary forgiveness diamond and the fact that no one says he's the Kobe Bryant of...

She was not amused and pointed out all the good work he does in the community. I bit my tongue on telling her how easy it is to do good work with that kind of money.

I was the 'prac private' in my platoon. Do you suppose other branches teach recruits to identify military awards and decorations like we did? I would imagine so.
Nope, Navy really doesn't give a damn about awards and decorations.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
If we're looking at each other at a 4-way stop, we won't hit each other when we're both making left turns.

Trust me.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I mean the criminal case was ultimately dropped because she refused to testify. He was never found guilty of it and the whole thing was not really a cut and dry case. They did settle out of court on the civil case, but that doesn't always imply guilt. I'm certainly not trying to defend Kobe or his actions there, considering he was married to Vanessa then and they had just welcomed their first child, but assuming he's guilty is unfair.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm not convinced that National Main Street certification is really that important to the excellent work my local Main Street program does each year.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I'm not convinced that National Main Street certification is really that important to the excellent work my local Main Street program does each year.
Is it like LEED, where it has become a money making venture instead of proof of a better design?

I think these groups should provide the certification for 10 years, or something and not require that you pay annual dues to keep it. When annual dues are required it loses its value to me and becomes something that isn't positive.

Build the buildings to LEED certifications and don't get it certified. You still did it. Who cares what LEED says?

I would guess a National Main Street certification is the same? They just want some money? If you do the good work required, do you really need them certifying it?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Is it like LEED, where it has become a money making venture instead of proof of a better design?

I think these groups should provide the certification for 10 years, or something and not require that you pay annual dues to keep it. When annual dues are required it loses its value to me and becomes something that isn't positive.

Build the buildings to LEED certifications and don't get it certified. You still did it. Who cares what LEED says?

I would guess a National Main Street certification is the same? They just want some money? If you do the good work required, do you really need them certifying it?
It's a little more circuitous than LEED cert. In OH, we have a statewide non-profit (Heritage Ohio) that manages the Main Street programs in OH. The programs are members of Heritage OH and Heritage OH does an annual review of each program and determines if a program gets certification under the National MS moniker by using a specific and scored evaluation. If under a certain "out of 100" points, no national cert. But this can happen due to some bureaucratic procedure and not necessarily whether the program is doing good work on the ground throughout the year. Though, to be fair, the evaluation process is designed to be somewhat foolproof and you have to be pretty messed up operationally (whether by your own devices or due to uncontrollable outside forces) to not get national certification.

We have an amazing MS program here, which ensures we get national cert every year, but I'd be interested in the thought exercise of keeping all things the same, but remove the national cert. and see if it truly matters or is simply a PR/ego necessity.

If we and our community know we're good, do we really need the external validation?

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'm finding it difficult to find a decent stand for a turntable. Everything I find online is either too big or very cheap looking.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The Spotted Pig was one of my favorite restaurants in NYC. I understand lots of reasons for its closing, but they really did have one of the best mid-priced meals in the city. They were the birth of the gastropub in the US. April Bloomfield was (still is otherwise) a genius there.

It brings me sadness to hear that it closed. I will never have that burger again... or those deviled eggs.... ugh.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife was watching the Grammys last night so I sat down and watched much more of it than I have in probably 20 years. No complaints about the music butare there always so many strangely dressed or costumed people in the crowd or is that normal for the Grammys?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I feel this is true in general. Fort Worth was recently certified as "gold" by the Scenic City program. I asked my council member why this mattered. The answer is that really, it doesn't. It's a recognition of the people who worked hard to get the designation, and having an attractive city does affect in a positive way, the city's economic growth. But the fact that they earned a gold star in the teacher's grade book is irrelevant. The economic growth that the improvements helped foster is what's relevant.

The same can be said about being a Bicycle Friendly city. Whether or not a city earns the certification is not as important as continually working to improve the things that encourage ridership in a city.

And since this is a random thoughts thread, the bike thing is a segue to something I observed last night: Bike Share e-bikes are really cool and help someone be able to keep up with a group that is faster.... until the battery runs out and then you're trying to move a 60-lb. bicycle when everyone else's bike weighs less than half of that. (Fortunately when we got to the next Bike Share station there was a charged up bike that said person traded their dead bike for.)

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I mean the criminal case was ultimately dropped because she refused to testify. He was never found guilty of it and the whole thing was not really a cut and dry case. They did settle out of court on the civil case, but that doesn't always imply guilt. I'm certainly not trying to defend Kobe or his actions there, considering he was married to Vanessa then and they had just welcomed their first child, but assuming he's guilty is unfair.
I agree. He certainly had sex with her. She was 19 and he was a big star. I'm sure his power of persuasion was very strong. Whether it was rape or not we'll never really know.

The whole thing is just awful. And what about the college baseball coach and his wife and child who were on the helicopter? They left behind one grown son and a daughter still in school.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I'm finding it difficult to find a decent stand for a turntable. Everything I find online is either too big or very cheap looking.
Are you much into IKEA, or does that "look cheap" to you? We have a decent entertainment center from there that's based on modular units (although perusing their site I'm not finding it at the moment). EDIT: I think it's the BESTÅ series. The link shows a 3 door setup, but it's built up a a 2 door and a 1 door. The 1 door might fit your needs.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I know we used to have those "Zoned Community" signs here in Michigan, or at least we did in the rural parts of St. Clair County where I grew up. There was a sign like that on my parents road and on the next road over that lead to the local library which was in the neighboring township and I can specifically remember asking my dad what that sign meant. Now that I'm reminded of those signs, I don't think they are there anymore. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for them next time I'm out there.

I also don't see signs announcing the community's population around anymore.
Just north of where I lived in Maryland I'd see lots of boroughs and townships in Pennsylvania that had a sign that said "Welcome to Hooterville - Building Permits Required".

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Are you much into IKEA, or does that "look cheap" to you? We have a decent entertainment center from there that's based on modular units (although perusing their site I'm not finding it at the moment). EDIT: I think it's the BESTÅ series. The link shows a 3 door setup, but it's built up a a 2 door and a 1 door. The 1 door might fit your needs.

I like that one that Doohickie posted and would also add the "Kallax" shelf unit.

1580143438051.png

Laid down on its side it's the perfect height for a console table and the shelves are the perfect height/width for records. We've had the older version (I cannot recall the name but the only difference was that the older one has thicker pieces of wood for the dividers) as our stereo table for years. It's very sturdy and there are no doors or hinges or feet to have to fiddle with. If I had to pick one complaint it would be that the open back means you can see all your wires but that could just be your motivation to fill the shelves with records!

Veloise

Cyburbian

The same can be said about being a Bicycle Friendly city. Whether or not a city earns the certification is not as important as continually working to improve the things that encourage ridership in a city.

I was once asked to review a BFC application -- for my own local area ... the submitted materials included documents that I had written when I worked for the city.
The application was a mess; it included data for the county, entire metro, various nearby jurisdictions (suburbs with wide sidewalks labeled BIKE ROUTE), and the city itself. Part of the brags included "we have this-and-so many League cycling instructors" (including me).
Of course the first set of materials sent for my review were for ... a completely different municipality. But they wanted me to review my own city.

It's really a rubber stamp process. Look at all the things we've done so please give us a sign to post next to the Girls Volleyball Championship one.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The spot I need to fit all this in is very limited. I've been looking at floating shelves but they don't seem to have anything deep enough to fit the turn table. If I find a shelf I can go up and over my subwoofer and gain a lot more space. I think I decided I might need to build something myself.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife was watching the Grammys last night so I sat down and watched much more of it than I have in probably 20 years. No complaints about the music butare there always so many strangely dressed or costumed people in the crowd or is that normal for the Grammys?
omg yes

tim gunn.gif

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
e.
And who the heck is 'Lizzo'?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I was once asked to review a BFC application -- for my own local area ... the submitted materials included documents that I had written when I worked for the city.
The application was a mess; it included data for the county, entire metro, various nearby jurisdictions (suburbs with wide sidewalks labeled BIKE ROUTE), and the city itself. Part of the brags included "we have this-and-so many League cycling instructors" (including me).
Of course the first set of materials sent for my review were for ... a completely different municipality. But they wanted me to review my own city.

It's really a rubber stamp process. Look at all the things we've done so please give us a sign to post next to the Girls Volleyball Championship one.
Agree, if they're just trying to get the certification.

I can point to cycling infrastructure that has been, and is still being, built in our city. One of the trails that is about to open will provide a bypass around Trinity Park which is significant because they close routes through the park for three weeks every year for Mayfest. The cool thing about that is the Mayfest organization paid for most of the trail construction since they know they've been butting heads with cyclists since biking started to become popular ~10-15 years ago. (The previous bypass was a dirt/stone trail through the park that was subject to flooding during spring rains.)

Our current mayor is an avid cyclist and the city conducts some of the largest group rides as "rolling town halls" where people can actually speak to Mayor Betsy (if they can keep up with her!) And even before her election, the city passed a comprehensive bicycle plan. If I had to grade how they've done in the 10+ years since the plan was approved,

Policy and Program Recommendations
These recommendations and guidelines are a supplement to local and national design standards and guidelines. The following are some of the recommendations referenced in the Bike Fort Worth plan.
• Establish a permanent, mayor-appointed, ad hoc Bicycle Advisory Committee. A+: up and running on a regular basis, includes citizens and public officials.
• Adopt a Complete Streets Policy and Ordinance. A: several major thoroughfare re-dos have followed complete streets principles.
• Establish a Bicycling Education program to promote safe bicycling behavior and interaction on the roads between cyclists and motorists. C: I've heard of one or two isolated events, but no consistency. There are Safe Cycling and Commuter Guides linked to the city's website.
• Include Bike Fort Worth facility recommendations into the Master Thoroughfare Plan. A+: the city listens to the BAC.
• Distribute an updated Bicycle Map and Commuter Guide.: A+
• Ensure bicycle accommodation on all major transit corridors, station areas and transit hubs. C-: This is a monumental task really, and the funding isn't there, although several projects have improved cycling infrastructure. But all major transit corridors? No.
• Develop a Bicycle and Pedestrian Transportation Planning Program. B: They hired a dedicated Bike & Pedestrian planner; they don't give her enough budget.
• Implement a zoning ordinance for bicycle parking. A: All new commercial developments require bicycle parking provisions.

The backbone of the Ft Worth bike trail network is the Trinity River, which has a confluence of two branches near downtown. The trails along the river extend to the east, northwest and southwest from downtown. The river authority puts out their own master plans and comparing the 2009 and 2018 plans shows the progress made to date, and the plans for the future.

This kind of stuff is a much better indication of the area's commitment to promoting cycling than a gold star award from some outside organization.

And now back to our regularly scheduled randomness.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I made a pizza in the cast iron pan in the oven for lunch yesterday. Other than the pizzas I've made on the grill, it was the best homemade pizza I've ever had. It's been on my mind since lunch and I'm looking forward to the next time I can make one in the cast iron pan. I think we might do that for dinner on Super Bowl Sunday.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
So I broke down and down loaded another graphic novel, my last one. I got V is for Vengeance because I've seen the movie a couple of times. It's actually pretty good and better than the movie.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Ok ladies, I have question for y'all. I have a fingernail that split and it's into the pink pink part of my nail. I also can't cut it out because of how deep it is. I'm stuck with either superglueing it or using clear fingernail polish. I'm leery of superglueing it. Do y'all have any suggestions? The only reason I'm fooling with it is because it keeps snagging hair and the such.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Ok ladies, I have question for y'all. I have a fingernail that split and it's into the pink pink part of my nail. I also can't cut it out because of how deep it is. I'm stuck with either superglueing it or using clear fingernail polish. I'm leery of superglueing it. Do y'all have any suggestions? The only reason I'm fooling with it is because it keeps snagging hair and the such.
I mean they superglue wounds together in the hospital, so I see no reason why superglue wouldn't work here. There are two different superglues though. The standard kind you find in any tool box (Super Glue, Krazy Glue, Gorilla Glue) and the medical kind (Dermabond, SurgiSeal, GlueStitch, Epiglu). Use one of those ones formulated for medical use.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use nail glue. It may still split though if you hit it on something. Sometimes I just cut the adhesive end off of a bandaid and shape it to fit on top of my nail and stick it on.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Ok... this is going to sound cold, but this national tragedy perception as it relates to Kobe is ridiculous. Now, for things within the game of basketball, that is understandable and there was some really classy things done yesterday out of respect at the start of games. Michael Jordan, Shaq, Coach K, and several others tweeted comments regarding his death, because they knew him personally.

But when it took up that much time for the major news networks for their broadcasts last night and this morning, it signals that there is a bigger issue. I also think that many are trying to draw attention to themselves in light of what happened. Take Lizzo for example, who ever she is... I didn't watch the awards because, well, I don't care. But I hear she made a big deal out of all of it. My question is has she even met Kobe? Maybe she did and I don't know, nor do I care.

What happened was without question tragic. But the deaths of Ian McBeth, Paul Clyde Hudson and Rick DeMorgan last week are a bigger deal to me because of the life they lived and how they died. Yes, the media covered it, but in most cases it was just a passing story. Thousands of people did not flock to their place of work to morn their loss. It did not light up the facebook feed. My stepbrother did not feel the need to post some epic love letter do them on facebook (unlike what he did for Kobe)... Same goes for 24-year police officer Katie Thyne. I think this story should be national news... but at best it is page 3 because she was not a multi-millionaire celebrity.

My point is we as a society become so emotionally addicted to the lives of celebrities regardless if they were good people or not, we look to the media to give us that fix when something horrible happens to them. I really don't know if Kobe was a good person or not and what happened to him, his daughter, and everyone else on that helicopter is without question tragic. I am not going to say that it has en emotional effect on me because it doesn't. Maybe I would feel differently if I cared about pro basketball or if I knew him... but I don't.

Rap that puppy in duct tape and you will be set!

AG74683

Cyburbian
The know it all girl is currently arguing that my college degrees, of which I have two, is really only one degree. I mean, I know it's two because I went through the program, and paid for it, and have the paperwork to show it is two different B.S. degrees, but no, she is clearly correct based upon her knowledge of nothing.

DVD

Cyburbian
We make fun of my friends degree. Arizona State has a west campus that he went to so we keep telling him there is an * after his degree.