• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

kms

Cyburbian
I think maybe she brought it in as a snack and it turned out to be awful. Maybe she hadn't tried it before. I don't think she wanted it which is why she offered it up for others.

As it turns out, I think it is something called "Nordic Stone Age Bread" or some variation of that. It appeared to be comprised primarily of one uniform seed though, I think pumpkin seeds. Honestly, it looks like someone baked a loaf of bird food.
I looked at the recipe and think it looks good. It must be part of some popular eating plan these days.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I'm bummed. . . the state environmental planning conference is in Yosemite this April, and I was invited to be on a panel. But my supervisor talked the deputy director into not letting me go, because I'd miss three days of work and it's "too far away." Even though the deputy director had no qualms about sending me to San Francisco three years ago, when I had a different supervisor. SF was just as far away and I'm sure the hotel and food cost more than near Yosemite. My supervisor told me to find something closer. . . but I'd still miss 2-3 days of work no matter where the conference is located. :r:

I still miss my former supervisor. :(

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The funny thing about these popular raw food/paleo diets is the idea is that somehow what people ate thousands of years ago is viewed to be healthy, but the people didn't live past their 30s.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The funny thing about these popular raw food/paleo diets is the idea is that somehow what people ate thousands of years ago is viewed to be healthy, but the people didn't live past their 30s.
Don't think too much about it. Just shut up and eat your raw carrots.

:D

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
exactly!

to me, it's the preservative, fillers, fats and sugars that are killing us

I'm bummed. . . the state environmental planning conference is in Yosemite this April, and I was invited to be on a panel. But my supervisor talked the deputy director into not letting me go, because I'd miss three days of work and it's "too far away." Even though the deputy director had no qualms about sending me to San Francisco three years ago, when I had a different supervisor. SF was just as far away and I'm sure the hotel and food cost more than near Yosemite. My supervisor told me to find something closer. . . but I'd still miss 2-3 days of work no matter where the conference is located. :r:

and the fact you're a speaker didn't help the argument?

AG74683

Cyburbian
But I don't think their diet had much to do with that. It was primarily infections and un-treated disease that held down life expectancy. I would suspect that a pre-historic human probably had a healthier diet than the average American does now. Like LP said, preservatives, fillers, fats, and sugars in abundance is what causes the modern diet to be considered "unhealthy".

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
But I don't think their diet had much to do with that. It was primarily infections and un-treated disease that held down life expectancy. I would suspect that a pre-historic human probably had a healthier diet than the average American does now. Like LP said, preservatives, fillers, fats, and sugars in abundance is what causes the modern diet to be considered "unhealthy".
Also overall much more active lives too for the prehistoric humans.

AG74683

Cyburbian
They found remains at the landfill. Not sure if they belong to the dumpster diver but it's pretty likely. I can't believe they found even a sign of her. Unbelievable.

kms

Cyburbian

I can’t believe this. Your supervisor would have bragging rights. Try again.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know it's a broken-record-complaint when we complain about NIMBY's on our projects and even after doing this for over 30 years, I am still flabbergasted at them, wow

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Actually I think I've read that by examining ancient remains, most people suffered from vitamin and nutritional deficiencies.
Likely. Our modern fruits/vegetables/grains/protein sources are much different than the ones our paleolithic ancestors had access to.
They have to walk by it every day to get to school!
I know. That house with the proposed ADU is going to prevent my child from learning this week's spelling words...which we all know is going to result in a negative feedback loop that will result in him dropping out of high school in 9th grade and probably start doing drugs or vape or something.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
... That house with the proposed ADU is going to prevent my child from learning this week's spelling words...which we all know is going to result in a negative feedback loop that will result in him dropping out of high school in 9th grade and probably start doing drugs or vape or something.
Also the public transportation route in my county will most certainly raise the crime rate because it's so easy to get a flat screen tv on a bus these days.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

and the fact you're a speaker didn't help the argument?
My thoughts exactly. 'Round these parts if we can get ourselves on a panel, or board, or invited somewhere as a speaker, that's like a free ticket to attend basically anything.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Likely. Our modern fruits/vegetables/grains/protein sources are much different than the ones our paleolithic ancestors had access to.

I know. That house with the proposed ADU is going to prevent my child from learning this week's spelling words...which we all know is going to result in a negative feedback loop that will result in him dropping out of high school in 9th grade and probably start doing drugs or vape or something.
we actually had a reference to a possible Sandy Hook in the future even with this multi family housing next to a school

un-f-in-believable

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
...to me, it's the preservative, fillers, fats and sugars that are killing us
Agreed! Honestly we don't even know what we're putting in our mouths most of the time.

IE: This apple -- you'd think it was just an apple. But wait, what did you spray on it while it was growing? What did you add to the soil? What is this waxy substance that makes it shiny at the grocery store? What did you spray on it after it came off the tree to get it to me while it was still 'fresh'?
So you're saying it's not just an apple after all...

AG74683

Cyburbian
Cadaver dogs can find anyone.
They could not use cadaver dogs. Too many scents to deal with out there I guess. From what I understand, that can cause severe distress in the dogs. It was all manual searching, made worse because we've had constant rain over the last 2 weeks and they kept dumping trash in that spot for 3 days or so before they realized she could be there.

There was another bad wreck along our only interstate highway in the county this morning. That makes 3 with fatalities in the year I've been on the fire department. Every one in the same place, all during rain storms. The road isn't adequately draining the rainwater off, and it's causing just about everything to hydroplane.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do not know why MUAs, building departments, planning offices (around here) give out the worst documentation for fees that have to be paid for the numerous approvals/permits a project needs. I had a voucher kicked back saying there isn't "adequate documentation". Ummm, there's the MUA permit with the fee paid in 2 point font attached. Do they have a rate sheet? Why don't you call the MUA and find out? I did nobody knew anything. Welcome to government! We are the government..... I know, so are you gonna approve the voucher?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I do not know why MUAs, building departments, planning offices (around here) give out the worst documentation for fees that have to be paid for the numerous approvals/permits a project needs. I had a voucher kicked back saying there isn't "adequate documentation". Ummm, there's the MUA permit with the fee paid in 2 point font attached. Do they have a rate sheet? Why don't you call the MUA and find out? I did nobody knew anything. Welcome to government! We are the government..... I know, so are you gonna approve the voucher?
Honestly, as the Director of a department that has all these functions in it, it is not hard to provide clear information. Unless the obfuscation is purposeful or just due to laziness/incompetence then I guess it is hard.

And the appropriate cultural philosophy is easily scalable to a given organizational size.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Honestly, as the Director of a department that has all these functions in it, it is not hard to provide clear information. Unless the obfuscation is purposeful or just due to laziness/incompetence then I guess it is hard.
I find that no matter how clear the information I provide is, literally no one listens to it. I have an actual checklist of items required to get a zoning permit, and 99% of people just flat out ignore a good portion of that list. They get angry when they're denied, but the list is spelled out word for word.

Pet peeve - when a site plan doesn't match the building plans at all. So who's lying to me? I suspect it's NOT the surveyor.... :r:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Agreed! Honestly we don't even know what we're putting in our mouths most of the time.

IE: This apple -- you'd think it was just an apple. But wait, what did you spray on it while it was growing? What did you add to the soil? What is this waxy substance that makes it shiny at the grocery store? What did you spray on it after it came off the tree to get it to me while it was still 'fresh'?
So you're saying it's not just an apple after all...
My ex has OCD. It's because of her that I wash my fresh fruit and veggies before eating them.

Planit

Cyburbian
Also the public transportation route in my county will most certainly raise the crime rate because it's so easy to get a flat screen tv on a bus these days.
Wait that was the argument for the greenway..."you're inviting rapists, murders and robbers who will break into our homes and steal things" and you know, I have yet to see someone carrying a 56" flat screen tv on any greenway

AG74683

Cyburbian
My ex has OCD. It's because of her that I wash my fresh fruit and veggies before eating them.
I wash everything, even if it says "washed". I still get those HelloFresh meals, and the first thing I do is unpack and wash all the produce from every bag.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I find that no matter how clear the information I provide is, literally no one listens to it. I have an actual checklist of items required to get a zoning permit, and 99% of people just flat out ignore a good portion of that list. They get angry when they're denied, but the list is spelled out word for word.

Pet peeve - when a site plan doesn't match the building plans at all. So who's lying to me? I suspect it's NOT the surveyor.... :r:
Well...lead horse to water...etc, etc.

;)

Big Owl

Cyburbian
We have our own pizza style. Not all locals like it, but I do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_City-style_pizza
I liked and occasional crave school cafeteria style pizza. My region doesn't have it's own pizza style but if we did it would likely come with a pork product of some sort and/or gravy. I would imagine that if you got shived while discussing the reciepient of the last slice of pizza that could be called San Quentin style pizza.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This past weekend was the start of the XFL or so I was told. I don’t have any interest in it and I question is it will ever be a credible sport or just a circus sideshow.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
This past weekend was the start of the XFL or so I was told. I don’t have any interest in it and I question is it will ever be a credible sport or just a circus sideshow.
It's more serious than the last iteration. I watched a few minutes of the Dallas game. They had 17,000 people in the stands, enough to make some money if they can keep it up.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was able to get the fee charged by the MUA from their meeting minutes approving the sewer connection :shrug:

kms

Cyburbian
Sounds dreadful.

I kind of like the way they cut it though. we used to call it "party cut" when I worked in a restaurant.
Oh, I’d try it. I don’t know why they need so much pepper, but people obviously like it. Malt is a dough conditioner and will feed the yeast.

Veloise

Cyburbian
That should happen anyway. Did the AG temp workers wash their hands, is the equipment cleaned before and after a harvest? You can consume enough healthy dirt without a helping of the nasty bug du jour thrown on top.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I simply do not understand the mindset of like 99% of people that come in to this office. This guy wants to basically disconnect his house from his septic system and just "use it as storage". A house. For storage....yeah right. :thinking:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I simply do not understand the mindset of like 99% of people that come in to this office. This guy wants to basically disconnect his house from his septic system and just "use it as storage". A house. For storage....yeah right. :thinking:
That's similar to the people I explicitly tell not to combine their adjacent existing nonconforming, but buildable lots. Then they go and combine them anyway and kill a bunch of value with a surveyor's pen stroke.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Its really not that spicy.
Then maybe it's not that dreadful. When it comes to the spicy <--> sweet spectrum, I prefer sweet in my pizza sauce. (I realize spicy and sweet are not opposite extremes on a single spectrum, but it seems to go that way.)

Reactions: kms