• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

terraplnr

Cyburbian
My thoughts exactly. 'Round these parts if we can get ourselves on a panel, or board, or invited somewhere as a speaker, that's like a free ticket to attend basically anything.
and the fact you're a speaker didn't help the argument?
I can’t believe this. Your supervisor would have bragging rights. Try again.
Thank you for commiserating with me everyone. . . I've already spread the word to find a replacement on the panel but I am going to ask my deputy director about it like "hey did the rules about attending conferences change and I didn't know?" I'm curious to see what he says.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Funny mailing received -

Letter of Credit
Not on our accepted form - which is available on our website.
Was not on bank letterhead
No mention for subdivision name or PC docket #
No contact email.

related don't have any signed cost estimates so don't know if amount is even right.

Starting phone tag with issuing bank, called left a message.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I went to an actual local barber shop for a haircut on my lunch break. It's legit, I won't be going anywhere else any longer. I've tried to go 3 times now but every time it has been closed. Worth the wait though.

The question of tips came up. The haircut was $15 and I gave him a $20. Is that enough for a barber? I honestly have no clue.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I went to an actual local barber shop for a haircut on my lunch break. It's legit, I won't be going anywhere else any longer. I've tried to go 3 times now but every time it has been closed. Worth the wait though.

The question of tips came up. The haircut was $15 and I gave him a $20. Is that enough for a barber? I honestly have no clue.
$5 sounds like plenty to me for a $15 haircut, especially if it takes them less than about 20 minutes to cut your hair.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Some guy just bought a junk floodplain property for back taxes ($1300) and wants to rezone to industrial for what else, storage. I diplomatically tell him the improbability of this happening but I really just want to say, "Congratulations, you just bought property just for the privilege of mowing."

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member

I typically give my barber about 20% tip on my $12 cuts, so about $2-3.

I prefer old time barbers over going to a salon that cuts men's hair, but I'm worried as my local guy is likely to retire soon. It's a shame as I don't have to cross a street to get to him.

AG74683

Cyburbian
$5 sounds like plenty to me for a $15 haircut, especially if it takes them less than about 20 minutes to cut your hair.
It was maybe around a half hour. I think I got there about 2:30 and left around 3 maybe? The guy was super particular, used a straight razor to cut lines and everything. It was really good. Best haircut I've ever had.

This place is pretty neat. It's got an "old time" barber shop theme to it, like something out of the 20's-40's. They dress the part and everything. It's two younger guys, the lead barber is in his 40's, and his son (who cut my hair) is in his 20's. I'm looking forward to having a local place to go.

Planit

Cyburbian
Some guy just bought a junk floodplain property for back taxes ($1300) and wants to rezone to industrial for what else, storage. I diplomatically tell him the improbability of this happening but I really just want to say, "Congratulations, you just bought property just for the privilege of mowing."
"I got a great deal on a piece of property!"

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Very nice Seated Liberty. I bet that wasn't cheap.
Actually....

It's called a Trade dollar.

And I'm sure you care. ;)

It wasn't too expensive, comparatively.
I believe I own zero collectible coins.
Well, any coin can be considered a collectible coin, really.

So you have no change laying about?

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Well, any coin can be considered a collectible coin, really.

So you have no change laying about?
Well sure I do. I am just trying to think if I have purchased a coin at a price above the stated value ever, and I don't believe I have.

I wish I collected something. I used to collect Sports Illustrateds, and I have the Time magazine that has the judgement of paris in it... which is something I am pretty proud of. Otherwise... nothing really to name.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Well sure I do. I am just trying to think if I have purchased a coin at a price above the stated value ever, and I don't believe I have.

I wish I collected something. I used to collect Sports Illustrateds, and I have the Time magazine that has the judgement of paris in it... which is something I am pretty proud of. Otherwise... nothing really to name.
I like station wagons and I like old (pre-1980) matchbox/hot wheels cars, so I also collect station wagon matchbox/hot wheels cars, but it's only when cheap (less than $2 each).

That's a suggestion. It doesn't even take much space and can be displayed nicely, too. :D

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
why yes, I want to store my crap in a building resting in a floodplain

AG74683

Cyburbian
There was another bad wreck along our only interstate highway in the county this morning. That makes 3 with fatalities in the year I've been on the fire department. Every one in the same place, all during rain storms. The road isn't adequately draining the rainwater off, and it's causing just about everything to hydroplane.
So I talked with the 911 Administrator and there is definitely a pattern. The wrecks seem to be clustered right at a particular mile marker. Way more than anywhere else in the immediate area. I'm not sure who direct the concerns to. It's an interstate, and county governments have very little control over roads in NC. I thought about reaching out to our contact with the MPO and see if he has any suggestions. I think we can pull enough data together to show that there is a significant issue there. Fatalities aside, these wrecks shut down a major US interstate for hours at a time. The wreck before this forced closure twice, once to extricate the wreck victims, and again the next day to clean it up.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I am having a heck of a time finding a cargo van to rent. I need a one-way rental and apparently you just can't do that with cargo vans. I don't need a full-blown Uhaul type truck and I don't want to drive even one of the small ones 10 hours or so. What a pain.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian

Always used a barber since I was a wee little one. My barber charges $16 and I give him $18. Current barber has been cutting my hair for 17 years. When he bumps to $17, I'll just hand over a Jackson.

DVD

Cyburbian
Uhaul might rent out cargo vans, but I'm not sure if they'll do it one way.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I am having a heck of a time finding a cargo van to rent. I need a one-way rental and apparently you just can't do that with cargo vans. I don't need a full-blown Uhaul type truck and I don't want to drive even one of the small ones 10 hours or so. What a pain.
Oh, and UHaul rents cargo vans.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
...but if you want to drop it off somewhere else, cargo van is not an option. Their smallest box truck is about $100 for a 60 mile one-way trip, $825 for a 1200 mile one-way trip.

DVD

Cyburbian
So I approved some fence replacement on an industrial site. They went from chain link to block wall. Big improvement. The problem, it doesn't meet current setbacks, but if all I'm doing is a fence replacement, I'm good. A year later they come in with a big plan to redo all kinds of buildings. Now they're being told we want the landscape setbacks and the wall can go behind that. So after lots of crying the answer is the wall needs to be moved because we only looked at a wall update at that time, not the whole property. I feel like Darth Vader.
1581463606973.png

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Funny mailing received -

Letter of Credit
Not on our accepted form - which is available on our website.
Was not on bank letterhead
No mention for subdivision name or PC docket #
No contact email.

related don't have any signed cost estimates so don't know if amount is even right.

Starting phone tag with issuing bank, called left a message.
One of these days I'm going to order a red stamp that just says "WTF?" Then i'll use it on stuf like that before sending it back.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The know it all girl brought in some "bread" that her mom's best friend made.

This was not bread. It was a large number of seeds smushed into a bread like loaf. It was slimy and disgusting. I will eat anything, but Lord this was awful.
We note, however, you did eat it.

Did said know-it-all bring in this 'bread' because she didn't want to eat it at her house? Also it's weird to bring food in to share at work that your mom's best friend made, isn't it? I mean maybe your mom -- if you live with her, but your mom's best friend? Strange.
Also, the 'bread' sounds awful.
Yes, know-it-all bringing bread to work in this case sounds more like it's geared towards 'disposal' than 'generosity'.

We have a Buddy's here in the 616 now, yay. Haven't been there yet.
They're going to be getting a C of O in the 269 pretty soon too.
I know it's a broken-record-complaint when we complain about NIMBY's on our projects and even after doing this for over 30 years, I am still flabbergasted at them, wow
I know. It's like no matter how many times you've seen it happen before, you're STILL dumbfounded and appalled when you hear it.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
...but if you want to drop it off somewhere else, cargo van is not an option. Their smallest box truck is about $100 for a 60 mile one-way trip, $825 for a 1200 mile one-way trip.
Yeah, I know all that. That's why I was lamenting that it really doesn't seem possible to actually rent a cargo van for a one-way trip.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I had a customer that was surprised that I could not issue him a permit on demand to convert a house to a office without plans being submitted and a rezoning being approved. He lost his $hit when I told him that the rezoning would take two months or so if everything went in his favor and that there is no guarantee of approval. He feels that the rezoning process should not take that long and it should be changed. I explained that state statues dictate the rezoning requirements and I should have also pointed out that changing the ordinance will take the same amount of time but I didn't. I am sure he has talked to a council member or two by now so it should get interesting.

So I talked with the 911 Administrator and there is definitely a pattern. The wrecks seem to be clustered right at a particular mile marker. Way more than anywhere else in the immediate area. I'm not sure who direct the concerns to. It's an interstate, and county governments have very little control over roads in NC. I thought about reaching out to our contact with the MPO and see if he has any suggestions. I think we can pull enough data together to show that there is a significant issue there. Fatalities aside, these wrecks shut down a major US interstate for hours at a time. The wreck before this forced closure twice, once to extricate the wreck victims, and again the next day to clean it up.
Contact your NCDOT division office. They have funds earmarked for safety improvements. We have a state highway that has an intersection in our jurisdiction that has had a number of fatalities. Evidently, we have had enough fatalities at that location to get safety improvements designed but not enough to get it built.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Second night of insomnia, waking up in the middle of the night then falling back to sleep for an hour. It's going to be a long, long day.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I rushed through my workout this morning so I'd have time to sit in the steam room longer than normal only to get to the locker room, get out of my sweaty close, open the door to the steam room and find it wasn't working for the day. :mad:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I like station wagons and I like old (pre-1980) matchbox/hot wheels cars, so I also collect station wagon matchbox/hot wheels cars, but it's only when cheap (less than $2 each).

That's a suggestion. It doesn't even take much space and can be displayed nicely, too. :D
matchbox_cars_old.jpg

Nathan_sleeping baby.JPG

AG74683

Cyburbian

Check out Marty's Matchbox Makeover on YouTube. I'm obsessed with his videos. There are tons of other channels out there dedicated to Matchbox and Hot Wheels restoration. baremetalHW is another good one. He does mostly Hot Wheels and has advanced techniques. Marty is more in line with the common man.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
cuteness overload @mendelman - I also love the station wagon collection!

I have a friend who does this super white background photography of collections, so hyper lit there is a slight shadow on the white paper, and those station wagons would be so cool to photograph...

Planit

Cyburbian
mendelmen - I hate to break it to you but none of those cars you pictured are 'station wagons' - you've got a hatchback, a 2-door sedan/coupe, a fastback Mustang, a pickup (possibly an older Jeep PU) and a 4-door sedan.

As far as the (very cute) kid picture is concerned - I wanna get like that!!!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Aaaaand ... Coastal GasLink protestors are blocking a critical intersection downtown, causing gridlock in surrounding neighborhoods and bringing public transit to a halt. Protesting a proposed natural gas line in British Columbia, by stopping traffic in a small city in upstate New York.

Meanwhile, I'm going to protest portrait mode videos.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Aaaaand ... Coastal GasLink protestors are blocking a critical intersection downtown, causing gridlock in surrounding neighborhoods and bringing public transit to a halt. Protesting a proposed natural gas line in British Columbia, by stopping traffic in a small city in upstate New York.

WHY DO YOU HATE TEH ENVIRONMENT!!?!1!

Planit

Cyburbian
Dan, give those protesters a break - geography is hard. At least both places are "in the north" :cool:

Fun IRONY of the day - DOT emailed me yesterday and says they over-reimbursed the city $2000 on a project grant 4 years ago and would like it back now. Funny thing is, we've been waiting since June for our $75000 reimbursement from DOT on a paving project. My CM will blow a gasket when I tell him.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Don't you really want the 1968 Ford Mustang GT Fastback as in Steve McQueen's car in the movie Bullitt ?
I don't like the fastback style after 1966 because the slope of the window and trunk lid blend into one and go the end of the vehicle.

DVD

Cyburbian
Don't you really want the 1968 Ford Mustang GT Fastback as in Steve McQueen's car in the movie Bullitt ?
I want one, but I have the 2001 Bullitt. Then again, I want a Jeep CJ-7 - not the new crap, I want a truck, I want one of everything. Except a station wagon. I have no desire for a station wagon.