• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

Veloise

Cyburbian
My youngest switched from playing the trumpet to playing the baritone at the beginning of the school year. She was using a loaner instrument from school. While I looked for one. I found out that a good used baritone is expensive and hard to find. I found a good one for sell at a good price; unfortunately it is four hours away and the guy will not ship. I am contemplating driving up that way tomorrow. He has sent me detailed pictures showing every angle and close ups of the valves and tubes. My only hesitation is that I can't get the seller hold it for me. I have offered to put down a deposit but the seller doesn't do any transactions electronically, or so he says. All the others ones that I have found of the same quality are 2.5 times the cost of the one 4 hours away. The good thing is I have the time and my daughter is looking forward to a potential road trip. So it won't be a total loss if I come up empty handed.
I know my horns. If you share some details with me I can do a quick assessment for you.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Being a team player and contributing ideas to the team vs. having people taking credit for your ideas and actions

I am still trying to sort this out. I think it wouldn't matter so much if we actually had a team mentality here, but once you peel away the "we promote teamwork" veneer it's actually every-person-for-themselves.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A fellow Cybub posted this on FB
If you're looking to meet unattached buildings, the best place to look is in neighborhoods. Just strike up a conversation with any detached structure that appeals to you and see where it leads. You have nothing to lose. Y'all should try it sometime.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
My youngest switched from playing the trumpet to playing the baritone at the beginning of the school year. She was using a loaner instrument from school. While I looked for one. I found out that a good used baritone is expensive and hard to find. I found a good one for sell at a good price; unfortunately it is four hours away and the guy will not ship. I am contemplating driving up that way tomorrow. He has sent me detailed pictures showing every angle and close ups of the valves and tubes. My only hesitation is that I can't get the seller hold it for me. I have offered to put down a deposit but the seller doesn't do any transactions electronically, or so he says. All the others ones that I have found of the same quality are 2.5 times the cost of the one 4 hours away. The good thing is I have the time and my daughter is looking forward to a potential road trip. So it won't be a total loss if I come up empty handed.

I used to fish at a place that had expanses of soft mud, some people called it gumbo mud. If you weren't careful you'd sink waist deep before you know it. I'd think about those tv shows when I was struggling to get out of it.
Take a chance. If it the horn is sold or you decide not to buy, you can still make a memorable road trip with your daughter. Find a museum, eat at a one-off restaurant. Make a day of it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
There's this girl at work I like to send cheesy pick up lines to. Today's was "Hey, are you Google? Because you've got everything I am searching for!"

I sent her a picture of a dime a week ago and asked her what she had in common with the coin. The answer was "because you're both dimes!"

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
There's this girl at work I like to send cheesy pick up lines to. Today's was "Hey, are you Google? Because you've got everything I am searching for!"

I sent her a picture of a dime a week ago and asked her what she had in common with the coin. The answer was "because you're both dimes!"
The number of women that you have an ability to even have an interest in at work is amazing to me. My wife does not think any of my lines are good anymore. Even when we vacationed in Tennessee this summer....

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think it's all in the delivery for him @Hink

Veloise

Cyburbian
If you're looking to meet unattached buildings, the best place to look is in neighborhoods. Just strike up a conversation with any detached structure that appeals to you and see where it leads. You have nothing to lose. Y'all should try it sometime.
START IN YPSILANTI lol

terraplnr

Cyburbian
"This is the ordinance amendment that never ends. . . it just goes on and on my friends. . . the Board initiated it not knowing what it entailed, and we continue working on it years later just because this is the ordinance amendment that never ends. . ."

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Take a chance. If it the horn is sold or you decide not to buy, you can still make a memorable road trip with your daughter. Find a museum, eat at a one-off restaurant. Make a day of it.
That's what I am hoping. I spoke to my daughter when I went home for lunch and she was reading reviews about resturants along the route. It will be fun regardless.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Speaking of coins, at the grocery store on the little shelf by the card reader sat an old penny that looked like it had a little bite taken out of it.

Planit

Cyburbian
I took a snow day Friday & took The Girl skiing for her b-day. First time I’ve been skiing in 21 years. Isurvived in tact !!!

I fell once at the very end when I was trying to take my skis off to leave.

please pass the Advil.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Afraid of Heights attraction -

Lover's Leap Swinging Bridge
A warning to the weak-kneed: This narrow bridge does its swinging eight stories high.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Happy Presidents Day - a scheduled holiday day off.

so who's here ?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What a surprise this didn't happen in Florida ?

Worst first date? Man robs bank, forces date to be the getaway driver
It's tough enough on us guys having to be charming on dates without all this kvetching and complaining about how we take our dates to some boring movie, or don't hold the door open for them, or ask a date to be getaway driver at an impromptu bank heist (notice we didn't go Dutch at dinner). I tell you, there's no keeping some dames happy. Sheesh!

Reactions: kms

Big Owl

Cyburbian
The road trip was fun but the mission to purchase the baritone was not successful. Despite me confirming, the guy canceled 3 hours into my 4 hour trip with no explanation other than sorry it's not going to work today. My gut feeling is that he realized that he could sell it for more money if there was someone willing to drive four hours.

I hadn't been in western Virginia in a long time so it was neat seeing that part of Virginia. We stopped by Virginia Tech on the way back. I tried to convince my daughter that it was the birthplace of the Hokey Pokey as a play on their mascot the "Hokies". She bought it up till the point we went in the campus bookstore. We drove the back roads from Blacksburg to Radford back to I-81. It's a neat part of the world. We had great conversation and an enjoyable time over all. It was time well spent.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Afraid of Heights attraction
... any zip line. Did my first on my honeymoon, and we went over some really deep ravines that were definitely deeper than eight stories. Scary as hell, it Is do it again.

I’d also vote for one of those narrow 8’ wide two-way mud roads in the Andes. Driving over mountain passes in Colorado on a road without guardrails is scary enough.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of SoHo in the rain
He was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's
Gonna get a big dish of beef chow mein

(we had Chinese food last night)
Ah wooooo

Veloise

Cyburbian
The road trip was fun but the mission to purchase the baritone was not successful. Despite me confirming, the guy canceled 3 hours into my 4 hour trip with no explanation other than sorry it's not going to work today. My gut feeling is that he realized that he could sell it for more money if there was someone willing to drive four hours.

I hadn't been in western Virginia in a long time so it was neat seeing that part of Virginia. We stopped by Virginia Tech on the way back. I tried to convince my daughter that it was the birthplace of the Hokey Pokey as a play on their mascot the "Hokies". She bought it up till the point we went in the campus bookstore. We drove the back roads from Blacksburg to Radford back to I-81. It's a neat part of the world. We had great conversation and an enjoyable time over all. It was time well spent.
That's a shame. I hate flakes.

Posting this here for the good of the group: it's a lot more achievable to be the first-stand player in the baritones than it is in the trumpets. Every band I've been in has had a plethora of the latter (current community band: a dozen! in a 60-piece band!). A new trumpet arrived after we'd tuned, and was standing by the doorway discussing where she should sit, and which part she should play, with the director. I held my horn high over my head. Stand mate didn't understand why, "we don't need more than two baritones."

OTOH, they were offering (paid) spots in the high school pit for Bye Bye Birdie to just about anyone but baritone. It's a concert and marching band instrument, which is a darn shame.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A fellow Cybub posted this on FB
I can date when neighborhood decline was past a tipping point by the "improvements" (heh) that are prevalent on vintage houses in a neighborhood. Asphalt shingle shakes? 1950s. Brickfacing with a random pattern? 1960s. Lots of wide aluminum siding? 1960s. Narrow aluminum siding? 1970s. Vinyl siding? 1980s and 1990s.

Why? Thanks to housing filtration, poorer residents can't afford residing. For holdouts, it makes little financial sense to improve a depreciating asset.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michaelskis said:
That puts this song in a whole new context:

I like brick houses, but I appreciate well furnished basements even more.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I can date when neighborhood decline was past a tipping point by the "improvements" (heh) that are prevalent on vintage houses in a neighborhood. Asphalt shingle shakes? 1950s. Brickfacing with a random pattern? 1960s. Lots of wide aluminum siding? 1960s. Narrow aluminum siding? 1970s. Vinyl siding? 1980s and 1990s.

Why? Thanks to housing filtration, poorer residents can't afford residing. For holdouts, it makes little financial sense to improve a depreciating asset.
Reaching down even deeper, don't forget about asbestos siding from the 30's and 40's. You actually posted about this years ago and I have used it as mental shorthand ever since when 'dating houses'

Doohickie

Cyburbian
How late is too late to drink coffee? (I ask as I take a sip of yet another cup)
That all depends

So what happens when it gentrifies? A lot of neighborhoods that gentrify are well beyond the tipping point but people will spend fall fortunes to make an old house new again.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

I have this issue but of a different sorts... Downtown.

We have several buildings that are owned by folks that are just holding on to them until 'the market is right' to sell and make a windfall profit. Until that point, they are not willing to put any money into them even if it prevents putting a tenant in them.

We are in the process of tightening our code enforcement details to allow us more tools to push these owners to do something with their buildings or to sell it to someone who will. Until then, they are bringing down the character (and likely values) of the rest of the downtown.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I have been busy a lot lately. I think that is good, as my brain doesn't just sit around well. This week is busy too. Even though it is short.

Planit

Cyburbian

We have several buildings that are owned by folks that are just holding on to them until 'the market is right' to sell and make a windfall profit. Until that point, they are not willing to put any money into them even if it prevents putting a tenant in them.

We are in the process of tightening our code enforcement details to allow us more tools to push these owners to do something with their buildings or to sell it to someone who will. Until then, they are bringing down the character (and likely values) of the rest of the downtown.

We gots that going on too. The funny thing is with our revitalization / infrastructure improvements has seen the buildings owned by others sell & have new businesses in them - the people that have been holding on are now (at least) entertaining offers.

The main offender is a former mayor who doesn't want to spend a dime and has left the city's water & sewer systems a complete patch-job with high-fail rate. One of his buildings downtown actually had a tree growing into its wall and the city made him fix that.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member

We gots that going on too. The funny thing is with our revitalization / infrastructure improvements has seen the buildings owned by others sell & have new businesses in them - the people that have been holding on are now (at least) entertaining offers.

The main offender is a former mayor who doesn't want to spend a dime and has left the city's water & sewer systems a complete patch-job with high-fail rate. One of his buildings downtown actually had a tree growing into its wall and the city made him fix that.
Sounds like you guys do need stronger and/or proactive property maintenance enforcement. Granted it takes political will and actual consequences. Some communities aren't up for that.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Sounds like you guys do need stronger and/or proactive property maintenance enforcement. Granted it takes political will and actual consequences. Some communities aren't up for that.
The city did get the owner to do some maintenance on the building I posted. They fixed the roof so it no longer leaks and got them to put plexiglass panes to seal the broken windows (leaving the originals in place for potential preservation.

There was actually a proposal for redevelopment but the owner didn't push it too hard. She even got the city to offer TIF incentives and tax abatements (once the restoration was complete) but it never went anywhere so they eventually rescinded them. The city is currently building a tunnel alongside the building (at the far end in the picture) to go under the train tracks to provide another connection from Downtown to the Near Southside. The owner is using that construction as an excuse why there can't be work done on the building now (although the tunnel project does not necessarily impinge on the building itself).

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We will be and have already taken some minor steps towards that. I am drafting very specific language as it pertains to some of the hot-button issues in downtown that will go into our property maintenance code. (Awnings must be kept in good repair free of rips, holes, defects, mildew or similar conditions).