• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have this company that has been restoring the windows in city hall and since they started, weird stuff has been missing, like work boots from the engineering office, and they all act pretty skeevy - so, yesterday when I went in the office to do my move, I parked in the important people lot that is adjacent to city hall (I normally park in a city permit lot down the street a few blocks) and I saw the crew working and thought maybe I should lock my car but I didn't think I had anything valuable in the car so I didn't lock it and today while driving in, I realized someone stole my parking pass!

wtf people

MD Planner

Cyburbian
We have this company that has been restoring the windows in city hall and since they started, weird stuff has been missing, like work boots from the engineering office, and they all act pretty skeevy - so, yesterday when I went in the office to do my move, I parked in the important people lot that is adjacent to city hall (I normally park in a city permit lot down the street a few blocks) and I saw the crew working and thought maybe I should lock my car but I didn't think I had anything valuable in the car so I didn't lock it and today while driving in, I realized someone stole my parking pass!

wtf people
How do you not lock your car always? People steal shit from everyone and everywhere. Look at the videos of porch pirates. It's all types of people. I trust absolutely no one when it comes to my belongings.

Bubba

Cyburbian
How do you not lock your car always?
^^^This.

I spent a couple of weeks working on Wake Island several year ago - when you are assigned a vehicle, you're told to leave it unlocked with the keys in the ignition. Two reasons:

A. It's a small, isolated island - where the hell is someone going to disappear to with your stuff?
B. It's a small island - someone else might need to move your truck out of the way.

Planit

Cyburbian
I feel like Hink. I have a Christmas song running through my head & I can’t shake it.

Oh Gawd!!!!

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you not lock your car always? People steal shit from everyone and everywhere. Look at the videos of porch pirates. It's all types of people. I trust absolutely no one when it comes to my belongings.
In Maine, you don't always lock your car or even your house (we didn't even have keys to our house for the first 8 years we lived here) - on my sunny island, yeah, most people leave the keys in the ignition and in the winter, people leave their cars running when they go into the supermarket if it's really cold outside - so yeah I have to remember to lock it when I go off island - I thought since I was parking literally next to the door with cameras on the lot that maybe it'd be okay

but seriously? stealing a parking permit is just weird

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I lock my car in my own locked garage and I. LIVE. IN. IOWA.
Maybe because my dad was a cop, but I've always locked my car. The one time I didn't was in a mall parking lot. All they got was some Christian music cassettes. I called it square because they probably needed to listen to them.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I lock my car in my own locked garage and I. LIVE. IN. IOWA.
Eh. I don't lock my car and I don't lock my garage. The garage door is always closed with a remote, but the side door goes into my fenced in back yard and I don't usually lock that door. So if you hop a 6-foot privacy fence and my dogs aren't out, you can pretty much help yourself to whatever's in my garage.

DVD

Cyburbian
My wife likes to lock the courtyard gate. It's wrought iron. I can just reach my hand through and unlock it. I guess it makes her feel better.

DVD

Cyburbian
So I got a complaint email on one of my projects. This guy has been complaining every step of the way. So naturally I add my own dialog to the conversation.

Oh! The trash is too close to my house! Why can't it be somewhere else. The one raccoon that lives in the desert will surly move to that dumpster because we all know gyms throw out super smelly trash!
The building blocks my view of the mountains! The beautiful mountains are never to be seen again against the backdrop of my fence, a busy street and a few miles of city.
Now the place lit up a sign on the wall and it's glaring in my bedroom window! It keeps us awake at night and I've never heard of curtains. I'll be forced to look at my wife. It's horrible!
The light can be seen for miles and miles!
And it keeps flashing like some strip club billboard! I can't be reminded of where I spent days yelling at those sinful people!
All these things are strictly forbidden by the city!

So I naturally I do it all in this guys voice
1582062175193.png

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am saddened by the split that just occurred, even though it was the right thing.... no one can say I never asked for a split now....

AG74683

Cyburbian
Been out of the office sick the last two days. I wouldn't be here today either, but I have this stupid rezoning request to process before Thursday so here I am...ugh.

DVD

Cyburbian
I am saddened by the split that just occurred, even though it was the right thing.... no one can say I never asked for a split now....

Something is wrong with Hink! It must be a side effect of some sort of Chinese virus. Someone get him to the hospital. Someone think about the children!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Happy Presidents Day - a scheduled holiday day off.

so who's here ?
I had the day off on Monday and then took Tuesday off as well so I had a 4 day weekend. I think I am going to start doing that everytime there's a holiday.

Most of the school districts here were closed Monday and Tuesday for mid-winter break but our district always takes an entire week off. :r: I'd rather that the kids just get the two days this week and save those extra days off so they can have a longer break later during spring break but oh well. Judging by how many of my daughter's friends are gone this entire week to their houses in Traverse City or Boyne or other Up North, Michigan locations or on vacations in the Caribbean, it had to be some fancy parents years ago that were complaining to get more time off so they could have an extra vacation. We did however decide to go to one of those hotels with an indoor waterpark yesterday and our kids had a blast.

Our nearly-4-year-old was all hyped up all weekend counting down to the day we actually went and then when we got there, she spent the first hour being too scared to do anything but she eventually had a great time and then talked non-stop on the hour long drive home and immediately zonked out when she laid down for bed.

Our older daughter, who is about 9-and-a-half, would spend 10 hours in the "rapid river" if we let her. She loved just trying to "run" through and chasing each other. After about 5 or 6 laps, I took a break and went over to our table and my legs immediately felt like lead weights once I got out of the water. I probably did about 100 laps with her in total. She was always afraid of the bigger waterslides but I convinced her to go on one of the double raft ones with me yesterday and she loved it so we had to do that 476,647,393 times in a row with me carrying the double raft up 6 flights of stairs each and every time. She's old enough that next time I'm letting her take a friend so I don't have to work so hard!

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
The BSA bankruptcy thread mentioned a hazing incident at a Camporee. This got me thinking about others kinds of hazing that happens in our culture (beyond what happens at the collegiate level for the Greek system). While I was never in wrestling in high school, I had a close friend who was, and back then, in real time, I would hear about the tricks and pranks that would get pulled. For instance: Being duct-taped to a locker room bench for hours while everyone else went to gym area, tape being applied to pubes and being ripped off like hot wax, etc.

Does this stuff still go on?!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Interesting article about how Boston is dealing with sea-level rise.

I'm still confused about why people don't think sea-level rise will have adverse effects on inland cities. If my 1% annual chance flood elevation is, say 450' above sea level (which sea level might have been measured in the 1980s), and the sea level rises, doesn't my flood elevation also rise accordingly? And doesn't that also adversely effect my flood protection levee/wall, that was also erected based on say 1950s sea levels?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Classic Lines said at a public meeting on zoning wind turbines in a county without zoning -

The health and safety of my children, my grandchildren, my neighbors and my friends.
I went to Vietnam for a period of time to fight for another country’s freedom, and come home to give up my own. And that’s what’s happening with this zoning law.
To be able to see the stars at night…without a thousand blinking lights from the wind turbines…

AG74683

Cyburbian
Our county lost a titan over the weekend. He was the CEO of one of the largest employers, and a former Lt. Governor and state senator. He was one of the rare few who never abused a position of extreme power and expected to be treated like everyone else. He was friendly, never knew a stranger, and was a fine example for others. He has an actual Wikipedia page, if that says anything about him!

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^We have one of those in our community that went in to a nursing home several months back. He was one of the last true "statesman" vs. today's 'politician'

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Does anyone have construction plans for an eSports arena? Or anything construction related to eSports? I really want to understand the bandwidth requirements.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The BSA bankruptcy thread mentioned a hazing incident at a Camporee. This got me thinking about others kinds of hazing that happens in our culture (beyond what happens at the collegiate level for the Greek system). While I was never in wrestling in high school, I had a close friend who was, and back then, in real time, I would hear about the tricks and pranks that would get pulled. For instance: Being duct-taped to a locker room bench for hours while everyone else went to gym area, tape being applied to pubes and being ripped off like hot wax, etc.

One of the great parts of doing speech/debate/newspaper/year book was none of them had hazing.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Does anyone have construction plans for an eSports arena? Or anything construction related to eSports? I really want to understand the bandwidth requirements.
A lot?

Ask your IT guy at work. ;)
One of the great parts of doing speech/debate/newspaper/year book was none of them had hazing.
Same with drama club in high school. They're often outcasts anyways, so there is typically a baseline of automatic acceptance and camaraderie.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
To be able to see the stars at night…without a thousand blinking lights from the wind turbines…
This is real. If you've lived in farm country your whole life and a wind turbine development gets built nearby, the night horizon is forever changed.

AG74683

Cyburbian
^^^We have one of those in our community that went in to a nursing home several months back. He was one of the last true "statesman" vs. today's 'politician'
Wish we had more of those. Seems like the stateman is dead and buried now.

Trying to tell this woman that the variance must be the minimum necessary. "Well we want to add a 3' overhang in the front to change the garage to an entry door. We need the awning to "protect the new entry door from the weather". Covers over entry doors are the exception, NOT the norm. I don't have a cover, no house I've ever lived in had anything over the front. The cover isn't necessary, and they won't approve it. I guarantee it. But try anyway I guess.

It really annoys me when the environmental health guy drags ass on getting a permit done, and no one bitches about it. But God forbid I take more than a half hour to do mine, everyone loses their minds.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian

Undoubtedly.

I will relate this about college fraternity hazing "back in my day". There were some fraternities that hazed pretty severely. The fraternity I was in made it clear: You were always free to walk away, that it was all voluntary. For us pledges, that meant that it was never too intense, or if we found that it was, we left. One or two pledges left here and there. The "hazing" we were subjected to consisted of:
  1. Encouraging pledges to drink. These were actually fun (to me anyway) drinking games (note: the drinking age was still 18 then). On the balance, though, there were always a few of the older brothers that were keeping an eye on things and if someone was drinking too much they would be diverted into other activities. We also made sure that pledges got home safe, either walking or driving them back to the dorms.
  2. Getting work out of pledges, mostly in the way of fraternity house maintenance and cleaning. Our fraternity wasn't so bad about "scrub this floor with toothbrush" but we wanted pledges to help with the housework. If they didn't want to help as pledges, it was an indication that they would be scofflaws when they were brothers and the work was required for those who stayed in the fraternity house.
  3. Lack of sleep. This was mostly during Hell Week. The lead-in to the initiation ceremony was not very plausible if you could think clearly and logically so we required the pledges to spend Hell Week at the house and reduced their sleep each night, to where the last night or so they effectively got no sleep. Then we would take them to an event that was supposedly a grilling by the graduate brothers to decide whether each pledge was worthy. They were blindfolded for this, but only for a short bit before the blindfold was removed in an adjacent room and they were formally inducted as brothers. The actual fact was that they were all voted in for membership by the brothers prior to Hell Week.
All the way up through Hell Week we told the pledges they were free to leave if they didn't want to follow the program. A few typically left early on. One guy in the pledge class after me "broke" during the induction ceremony (before the blindfold was removed). He'd left the AF Academy due to hazing and said he just couldn't go through that again. The ironic thing was that he was literally minutes from full brotherhood. We got him through and he joined and was a good brother (and a good friend of mine for many years since).

The reputation of our fraternity was considered mild compared to most on campus. I know that activities have shifted with the increase in drinking age resulting in "dry rush". This has actually led to some interesting get-togethers to draw new members- barbecues, make your on sushi dinners, game nights, group visits to animal shelters to walk the dogs, stuff like that.

Reactions: Dan

DVD

Cyburbian

I didn't get anything in high school football. We did have our cruel jokes, but it wasn't really a hazing it was just a joke of opportunity. No, we didn't rip off pubes, but playing odd or even and grabbing some leg hair could happen or the occasional jock sweat finger under your nose.

Military damn sure still does hazing. Granted I was in in 1992, but I'm sure it's still going strong. Examples:
Crossing the equator. Pranks are endless and up to your imagination.
Crossing the arctic circle gets you a blue nose. You're sprayed with sea water in your underwear.
Making rank they would allow everyone who held your rank to "tack" the crow on your arm. I was bruised for a week. The poor ensign that hit me never held my rank so he became fair game to everyone E-4 and above. He was bruised for a couple weeks.
Same ensign was left duct taped in his underwear to a pole in the lounge (where no one goes in the daytime). He was also given a pink belly. He had decided to tell 1st division (the biggest division on a ship with mostly 18 year old kids with nothing to lose) how he was going to change the world. The Captain's response was to remove him from 1st division because he was unfit to lead the division and was assigned a lesser division to look over until he learned his place.
We dipped the Captain in the ocean - tradition is the first time you work over the side of a ship you get dipped. He got dipped often because we didn't like that Captain (different Capt than the last story).
Lots of little things like sending people for sound powered phone batteries or Id10t forms.

There are many many more traditions of hazing. Some more physically painful than others (Marine jump wings come to mind). The deal with the Navy was always to look the other way and if you didn't want to participate you need to make it clear to the crew that you're a total ass that doesn't want to play along.

TOFB

Cyburbian
All this talk of scouting leaders and such, I think it would be interesting to look at requirements to other areas that adults work with children. Understand I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but some of it is too repetitive on an annual basis.

For example, to become a youth soccer coach in an accredited league / team in NC requires (mandatory) the following from NCYSA:
  • Annual Background Check (even though I had one last year & the year before & the year before, et cetera)
  • Annual Risk Management Assessment after Background Check returns clean (no findings)
  • Annual Abuse Prevention webinar and test in which you can only miss 3 questions (out of 25)
  • Annual Concussion Awareness training
  • Coaching Certification Level E or higher (our club gives you a year to obtain if you don't have it already)
The worst thing that happened to me in band was on the first band trip as freshman we were forced to stuff ourselves into the bus restroom in back and I spent several minutes with my face smashed into Patty Dean's bosom.

No wait that was the best thing that ever happened to me in band.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What's wrong with you man? Might as well put some irishmen or whatever on it.
I still see Christmas trees out by the curb. I can't explain it. Tree's still up? Throw some Peeps on there or something.

Reactions: kms

AG74683

Cyburbian
What's wrong with you man? Might as well put some irishmen or whatever on it.
Just haven't had the time (or willpower) to drag the boxes up to put everything away.

I just sent out the snarkiest email I've ever sent. I might get some heat from it too. I could tell from this woman's attitude early on that I needed to push this all to email because she was gonna try and pull some shit (you didn't tell me that! It was never written on XYZ!!!). Glad I did, She tried it, and I gladly pulled out exactly where I told her what to do in an email. THIS is why I refuse to do anything by phone. It's a massive liability.

Reactions: Dan

kms

Cyburbian
I still see Christmas trees out by the curb. I can't explain it. Tree's still up? Throw some Peeps on there or something.
You can get peeps for every season! You’ll never have to take down your tree.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I just sent out the snarkiest email I've ever sent. I might get some heat from it too. I could tell from this woman's attitude early on that I needed to push this all to email because she was gonna try and pull some shit (you didn't tell me that! It was never written on XYZ!!!). Glad I did, She tried it, and I gladly pulled out exactly where I told her what to do in an email. THIS is why I refuse to do anything by phone. It's a massive liability.
Sounds like my counter duty today. I have this customer, I call him Mr. Magoo. Mr. Magoo likes to play dumb. He has tried to submit a set of plans 4 times, all rejected due to not having what is needed. Today he finally deals with me as he has exhausted the other 2 planners. I review the plans have have a question to which he calls his design professional. On speaking phone he calls me a "dick" and calls things "bullshit". Quickly i let him know that his language will not be tolerated and is unprofessional. He then said to me " you done feeling like a big boy". I sent his client packing to deal with him instead. All i was going to suggest before he went off on me, was a redline change his client could do over the counter to not delay the project. :ha:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Random: the most unusual bumper sticker I've seen in a while.

weird bumper sticker.jpg

The Terminator

Cyburbian
GUESS WHOS BACK!!!!! Y'all didn't think I would actually ghost did ya? Nah, just needed a little time to get some things sorted, typical Millennial!

After taking a while to re-acclimate to Montreal, beginning the long journey of getting my act together, and experiencing my first winter depression in a long time, I am alive and surviving.

Working some freelance gigs while I look to get something permanent and get back into school, but overall content to be back in Canada and Montreal, which I now consider my adopted hometown. I have economic anxiety that I sacrificed so much career wise to get here, especially compared to friends of mine Stateside who are now successful and at or approaching mid level in their careers. C'est la vie boheme, I guess. It was still worth it to get here though. But not gonna front, I am having a hard time staying motivated and not falling into the Montreal Hipster trap. Im going to be 30 next year, and its honestly been a big motivator to keep moving forward.

Big updates on my part:

-I am about 20lbs lighter since I last posted, down to 210 from 230 this past July. Target weight is 200 flat by my 29th, which is impending (April 15th)

-I finally took up a sport that I really enjoy: been training in Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu since the beginning of December. So far, it is giving all the mental and physical wellness benefits that a good Yoga practice can: breathing control, body synchronization, groundedness and focus, amazing for your core muscles. I had always wanted to take up a grappling based martial art. I am still very much a beginner and will be for the foreseeable future, but there is no better workout that absolutely pumps me up like Rolling (BJJ sparring) does now - Its super Zen! If there are any Burbians who also train, holla at me! OSS!

-I am quitting Cannabis: It was about freaking time. I feel more comfortable posting about this openly now that I live and work in a country where the Green is legal and no longer stigmatized by many employers (unless of course, you consume on the job!). But my affinity for all things Cannabis wasn't exactly a secret here. Having a NYS Medical card really helped me get through my last job, but overall I finally realized that when I need to be productive and bring myself to the next level, it does me more harm than good. I went cold turkey for a bit and found it very hard, now I only smoke on the weekends when I am not working, but am aiming to be completely green-free by springtime. I admit it has been a struggle, but one that I need to go through right now, one that I will come out stronger from. Counting my blessings I never have (and never will) had a problem with opiates. Lost too many friends to them this past decade. Afterall, y'all remember well when I had a drinking problem and an affinity for erm…...certain low end wines? I got past that!! this is no different. Anyone here who has had a similar struggle with ANY sort of addiction whatsoever, feel free to DM me and Id love to talk about positivity and sobriety strategies!

-I dispossessed myself of my Volvo's. They were like my children, but like children they were also MONEY PITS :/ I put the money in the bank for future Law/Grad school tuition and I got a 5 speed 1999 Toyota Camry XV20 as my daily driver. Canada spec with metric instruments and daytime running lights, Japanese made model with a 12/98 factory build date. Off brand for me I know, but for $1000 CAD, I couldn't pass up a rust free manual model with only 100,000 miles at the time of purchase (160k kilometres, I'm at 165,600 now) that's been a Quebec car its whole life and is thus inspection exempt, w00t! I am aiming to get back into another Volvo project by 2021-2, but I have no plans on getting rid of the Camry as a daily driver anytime soon. The 5S-FE Toyota I4 is one of the most reliable engines of the 90s! I was afraid I would have to give in and get a post-Millennium car here, but I got lucky on marketplace! I've always kinda liked the wide body Camry's made from 1992-96 (XV10) and 1997-2001 (XV20). Old enough to be quirky, new enough to be reliable, boring enough to not attract attention or get messed with. Who here has had one?

-I've switched all my finances over to Canada, as well as my drivers license (giving up my NYS license was hard, Ill admit!). I also have Quebec healthcare now and it has taken a load off my shoulders not having to worry about health insurance! Ive spent ALLOT more money getting settled than I imagined and am feeling shitty about it, the only thing that's been getting me down beyond seasonal blues and of course, grrls ;) I'm still working down a little bit of lingering moving and travel related debt but its barley over 4 figures, so itll be gone by years end and I'll live! Im also looking at decent returns from IRS/NYS as well as Canada Revenue/Revenu QC this year so that will also go directly into my Law School fund. I consider myself blessed that I don't have student debt.

-I am actively scouting Quebec based Law programs to attend in 2021 or '22, god willing (on croise les doights!). If that doesn't work the first time around, than I am going to pursue an Interdisciplinary Geography MSc at my Alma Mater or a Certificate Program at McGill, and use that as a springboard into a Law Program. I am dead set on this because: A. Quebec has NO LSATS!!! B. It will prove all the naysayers wrong, who have told me I couldn't handle it intellectually nor would I have the discipline since I first began floating the idea after finishing my Undergrad C. as a Permanent Resident of Canada, I am now eligible for in-country tuition and generous bursaries that will make it financially feasible. I will need to greatly improve my writing though, I look forward to this.

-Im still Feeling the Bern, and use my US Line to text and phone bank for the campaign. I am in touch with other US Expat Bernie supporters here which is fun.

-Je vis une grande partie de ma vie maintenant en francais, cela qui me fait du bien!

TL;DR - Your favorite Millennial Planner is back! Has been going through typical Millennial sh*t - appreciates his fellow burbians for inspiration on keeping my act together.

I missed you all! How the hell is everybody?!?!

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Man what a great start to my day.... discussing Christmas in February, and Terminator coming back to hang. Nice little Thursday lined up... :up: