• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have this company that has been restoring the windows in city hall and since they started, weird stuff has been missing, like work boots from the engineering office, and they all act pretty skeevy - so, yesterday when I went in the office to do my move, I parked in the important people lot that is adjacent to city hall (I normally park in a city permit lot down the street a few blocks) and I saw the crew working and thought maybe I should lock my car but I didn't think I had anything valuable in the car so I didn't lock it and today while driving in, I realized someone stole my parking pass!

wtf people

MD Planner

Cyburbian
We have this company that has been restoring the windows in city hall and since they started, weird stuff has been missing, like work boots from the engineering office, and they all act pretty skeevy - so, yesterday when I went in the office to do my move, I parked in the important people lot that is adjacent to city hall (I normally park in a city permit lot down the street a few blocks) and I saw the crew working and thought maybe I should lock my car but I didn't think I had anything valuable in the car so I didn't lock it and today while driving in, I realized someone stole my parking pass!

wtf people
How do you not lock your car always? People steal shit from everyone and everywhere. Look at the videos of porch pirates. It's all types of people. I trust absolutely no one when it comes to my belongings.

Bubba

Cyburbian
How do you not lock your car always?
^^^This.

I spent a couple of weeks working on Wake Island several year ago - when you are assigned a vehicle, you're told to leave it unlocked with the keys in the ignition. Two reasons:

A. It's a small, isolated island - where the hell is someone going to disappear to with your stuff?
B. It's a small island - someone else might need to move your truck out of the way.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you not lock your car always? People steal shit from everyone and everywhere. Look at the videos of porch pirates. It's all types of people. I trust absolutely no one when it comes to my belongings.
In Maine, you don't always lock your car or even your house (we didn't even have keys to our house for the first 8 years we lived here) - on my sunny island, yeah, most people leave the keys in the ignition and in the winter, people leave their cars running when they go into the supermarket if it's really cold outside - so yeah I have to remember to lock it when I go off island - I thought since I was parking literally next to the door with cameras on the lot that maybe it'd be okay

but seriously? stealing a parking permit is just weird

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I lock my car in my own locked garage and I. LIVE. IN. IOWA.
Maybe because my dad was a cop, but I've always locked my car. The one time I didn't was in a mall parking lot. All they got was some Christian music cassettes. I called it square because they probably needed to listen to them.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I lock my car in my own locked garage and I. LIVE. IN. IOWA.
Eh. I don't lock my car and I don't lock my garage. The garage door is always closed with a remote, but the side door goes into my fenced in back yard and I don't usually lock that door. So if you hop a 6-foot privacy fence and my dogs aren't out, you can pretty much help yourself to whatever's in my garage.

DVD

Cyburbian
My wife likes to lock the courtyard gate. It's wrought iron. I can just reach my hand through and unlock it. I guess it makes her feel better.

DVD

Cyburbian
So I got a complaint email on one of my projects. This guy has been complaining every step of the way. So naturally I add my own dialog to the conversation.

Oh! The trash is too close to my house! Why can't it be somewhere else. The one raccoon that lives in the desert will surly move to that dumpster because we all know gyms throw out super smelly trash!
The building blocks my view of the mountains! The beautiful mountains are never to be seen again against the backdrop of my fence, a busy street and a few miles of city.
Now the place lit up a sign on the wall and it's glaring in my bedroom window! It keeps us awake at night and I've never heard of curtains. I'll be forced to look at my wife. It's horrible!
The light can be seen for miles and miles!
And it keeps flashing like some strip club billboard! I can't be reminded of where I spent days yelling at those sinful people!
All these things are strictly forbidden by the city!

So I naturally I do it all in this guys voice
1582062175193.png