• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

Planit

Cyburbian
Town disbands Police Department - chief told to turn in everything - he leaves in underwear.

There's a new way to say "You're Fired!"

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I didn't get anything in high school football. We did have our cruel jokes, but it wasn't really a hazing it was just a joke of opportunity. No, we didn't rip off pubes, but playing odd or even and grabbing some leg hair could happen or the occasional jock sweat finger under your nose.

Military damn sure still does hazing. Granted I was in in 1992, but I'm sure it's still going strong. Examples:
Crossing the equator. Pranks are endless and up to your imagination.
Crossing the arctic circle gets you a blue nose. You're sprayed with sea water in your underwear.
Making rank they would allow everyone who held your rank to "tack" the crow on your arm. I was bruised for a week. The poor ensign that hit me never held my rank so he became fair game to everyone E-4 and above. He was bruised for a couple weeks.
Same ensign was left duct taped in his underwear to a pole in the lounge (where no one goes in the daytime). He was also given a pink belly. He had decided to tell 1st division (the biggest division on a ship with mostly 18 year old kids with nothing to lose) how he was going to change the world. The Captain's response was to remove him from 1st division because he was unfit to lead the division and was assigned a lesser division to look over until he learned his place.
We dipped the Captain in the ocean - tradition is the first time you work over the side of a ship you get dipped. He got dipped often because we didn't like that Captain (different Capt than the last story).
Lots of little things like sending people for sound powered phone batteries or Id10t forms.

There are many many more traditions of hazing. Some more physically painful than others (Marine jump wings come to mind). The deal with the Navy was always to look the other way and if you didn't want to participate you need to make it clear to the crew that you're a total ass that doesn't want to play along.

I still have my Shellback Certificate somewhere around here. Our ceremony was pretty tame but I imagine that's par for the course when you're on a ship with 1,500 Marines and a few hundred sailors - there's too many people so they just have to make it something like a production line of fun and one guy in a mermaid costume (and maybe the sailors don't want to get too crazy to give the Marines any more ammo to pick on them with ;) ). From what I've seen and heard, the line crossing ceremonies on smaller ships are much more of an ordeal.

From what I saw during my time in the Corps, SNCOs and Officers generally look the other way with minor hazing (stuff that most people would probably think of as practical jokes or just picking on the new guy) or stuff that's sort of ceremonial/traditional like some of the games that might go on at a Mess Night or Dining In. People also still take their punches when they get promoted (usually reserved for people picking up LCpl and Cpl) but the punches are really quite light and if you give anything more than a love tap, you're labeled the jerk and that sh!t is remembered. The Corps is significantly smaller than the other branches so I think some of that comes into play since you're going to be continually crossing paths with the same people over the years and different bases.

Reports are always that the hardcore shenanigans still exist around jump wings but when evidence does arise (idiots with cell phones) the Commandant and the SgtMaj are always quick to put an end to that and discipline those involved. Other than that, I think significant violent and exploitive hazing is nowhere near as prevalent in the Fleet than it was a few decades ago. There are always rogue units and individuals (aka "jerks") but they get weeded out pretty quickly because the COs and senior enlisted folks know that they'll also be paying the price if hazing is found to be a problem under their watch.

The one exception to all of this is boot camp where hazing remedial education is still alive and well and as long as recruits aren't being broken, concussed, or killed the eyes are usually looking the other way.

Honestly though, based on what I see in the newspapers and on news reports about what happens at some fraternities and during their pledging process, I'd feel safer with my son (if I had one) going through Marine Corps boot camp than joining a frat at a big university.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I swear, if you want to see the most volunteer fireman you've ever seen, go to any rural structure fire. 10,000 people turn out, many of whom you've never even seen before.

We had to go to a frame shop because their sawdust bin caught on fire last night. 3 departments responded, each one with like 3 trucks and anywhere from 5-10 people each. We had maybe 15, and got to do nothing. I'd say there were probably 40 people there just standing around, with 10 actually working the fire. We got called off early. Of course it reignited this morning, because the station working the fire has a funny definition of "under control" and "fire is out".

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My daughters are coming to my office to deliver Girl Scout Cookies later this morning. I guess I better clean things up a bit and hide my candy stash so they don't go tattling to mom!

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Town disbands Police Department - chief told to turn in everything - he leaves in underwear.

There's a new way to say "You're Fired!"
Noted there's a free-stater on the Selectboard.

kms

Cyburbian
My daughters are coming to my office to deliver Girl Scout Cookies later this morning. I guess I better clean things up a bit and hide my candy stash so they don't go tattling to mom!
1. If the candy is in the open, it’s a stockpile, not a stash.
2. The candy is a suitable method to compel your daughters not to snitch about the mess or the candy.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
1. If the candy is in the open, it’s a stockpile, not a stash.
2. The candy is a suitable method to compel your daughters not to snitch about the mess or the candy.
Good points!

My dad was a plant manager at an automotive supplier and one of my favorite memories from going to is office on the occasional Saturday morning and sitting in his office and while he would be on the phone with whoever there would be a steady stream of people coming into his office going over to a very large extra desk he had and rummaging around in the drawers and then leaving. I was probably 6 or 7 and had no idea what these people were doing. It was ever more strange because it was everybody from engineers or the VPs to janitors and line workers coming in. I finally got curious and went and looked in that desk and every. single. drawer. was absolutely full of Hostess Cupcakes and Twinkies and Ding Dongs and the like. And when I say "absolutely full" I mean like comically full - like it appeared that if you opened a drawer or cabinet wrong Cupcakes would just start spilling out ad infinitum like some sort of surreal MC Escher painting (or Pee-Wee Herman chaining his bike to the clown).

Over the years I realized he kept that extra desk in the office specifically for that and would go to the Hostess Bakery Outlet weekly and buy bags and bags of that stuff to bring into the plant as something extra to offer the floor workers.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Girl knows where my stash is in my office. When she comes over, she looks in the drawer to take inventory. Sometimes she takes, other times she doesn't. Mommy doesn't know a thing about it.

kms

Cyburbian
Good points!

My dad was a plant manager at an automotive supplier and one of my favorite memories from going to is office on the occasional Saturday morning and sitting in his office and while he would be on the phone with whoever there would be a steady stream of people coming into his office going over to a very large extra desk he had and rummaging around in the drawers and then leaving. I was probably 6 or 7 and had no idea what these people were doing. It was ever more strange because it was everybody from engineers or the VPs to janitors and line workers coming in. I finally got curious and went and looked in that desk and every. single. drawer. was absolutely full of Hostess Cupcakes and Twinkies and Ding Dongs and the like. And when I say "absolutely full" I mean like comically full - like it appeared that if you opened a drawer or cabinet wrong Cupcakes would just start spilling out ad infinitum like some sort of surreal MC Escher painting (or Pee-Wee Herman chaining his bike to the clown).

Over the years I realized he kept that extra desk in the office specifically for that and would go to the Hostess Bakery Outlet weekly and buy bags and bags of that stuff to bring into the plant as something extra to offer the floor workers.
What a happy memory.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I believe my boss is pissed off at me because I asked HR what the policy was for part time work on the weekends. Apparently he takes it personally when people attempt to better themselves (and their families) by working an extra job. He also believes it to be his business what we do on the weekends I guess. Anyway, when he gets in these moods he will not respond to emails or phone calls. He hasn't responded to my emails since last month maybe.

SO, if anything needs his review before I sign it, I'm just going to start sending people straight to his office.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I believe my boss is pissed off at me because I asked HR what the policy was for part time work on the weekends. Apparently he takes it personally when people attempt to better themselves (and their families) by working an extra job. He also believes it to be his business what we do on the weekends I guess. Anyway, when he gets in these moods he will not respond to emails or phone calls. He hasn't responded to my emails since last month maybe.

SO, if anything needs his review before I sign it, I'm just going to start sending people straight to his office.
Tread lightly here. :oops:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Tread lightly here. :oops:
Frankly, I don't care. It's unprofessional at best to get this kind of attitude, when there is a policy specifically for part time work outside of our full time jobs here. There are several people that do this already, and they never seem to have problems. No one said anything when we all knew he was having an affair with the previous HR director (who got some cushy promotions during that time when she was completely unqualified for the job).

His time here is probably limited anyway. The local rumor mill says that if the election in November goes a certain way, he's toast.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Frankly, I don't care. It's unprofessional at best to get this kind of attitude, when there is a policy specifically for part time work outside of our full time jobs here. There are several people that do this already, and they never seem to have problems. No one said anything when we all knew he was having an affair with the previous HR director (who got some cushy promotions during that time when she was completely unqualified for the job).

His time here is probably limited anyway. The local rumor mill says that if the election in November goes a certain way, he's toast.
OK...just wanted to make sure you're eyes wide open on the (potential future) status of your employment there.

AG74683

Cyburbian
OK...just wanted to make sure you're eyes wide open on the (potential future) status of your employment there.
Meh, is what it is. I'm definitely burned out from this job. If the EMS guy is to be believed (and he most likely is) I have a job ready and waiting that pays the same as I make here in a field that I actually like. I suspect a mass exodus of department heads here soon anyway. Most are starting to get tired of the crap here.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Respect. I'm calling him Officer Mike Drop.

From another newspaper article:

Lee said he took off his uniform and — wearing only briefs, a T-shirt, a gray baseball cap and a shirt — started the 7-mile walk home to Newport on Tuesday evening. ... Lee walked a little less than a mile in 26-degree temperatures until his wife picked him up, he said."
Respect. That's how Clint Eastwood would do it.

I swear, if you want to see the most volunteer fireman you've ever seen, go to any rural structure fire. 10,000 people turn out, many of whom you've never even seen before.
Sounds like suburban Buffalo's VFD culture. Cheryl's she shed on fire? It calls for a minimum of two alarms, two or three tenders, an aerial platform truck, some EMTs, and a whacker or two to document the event for YouTube.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well as it turns out, he's just been "busy", which may or may not be true. Could be that he was still mad, but who knows. I did ask him about the part time work and he had no problem with it so there's that at least.

DVD

Cyburbian
Working on a long shot. A promotional job 3 steps above my current job. It's actual management which I've done, but I have to convert my planner resume into a project manager resume. Just have to stretch some of those stories into a good resume bullet.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Working on a long shot. A promotional job 3 steps above my current job. It's actual management which I've done, but I have to convert my planner resume into a project manager resume. Just have to stretch some of those stories into a good resume bullet.
Well , you had the 'project' of combining depts/functions at your last job, right? That's likely a very good example.

Did you doing management of government building projects or infrastructure projects at you last job?

Good luck!

AG74683

Cyburbian
Environmental Health guy dated his permit for a week earlier than he was actually finished. Ain't that some bullshit.

kms

Cyburbian
My son told me I should watch "Marriage Story" or whatever its called.

I told him I am sure its well acted, but I already lived that story and have zero desire to see it on a screen again. It would just bring back bad memories.
Agree.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Planner happy hour this evening. You are all invited. The last dozen HHs have been at pubs and brewhouses so I picked a cocktail bar this time. :D

AG74683

Cyburbian
Our offices closed at 3 today because of "inclement weather". I am still here. You pay for sick days for sure.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Multi-unit or multiunit?

Multi-story or multistory?

Non-residential or nonresidential?

DVD

Cyburbian
I believe that sloths are the ninja of the jungle. When you see them they are super slow, but that's just their trick. When no one is looking, look out! You'll get hit with the super sharp three toe punch of death!. Sloths have mad kung fu skills.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I believe that sloths are the ninja of the jungle. When you see them they are super slow, but that's just their trick. When no one is looking, look out! You'll get hit with the super sharp three toe punch of death!. Sloths have mad kung fu skills.
I feel like sloths are just cool. The YouTube videos of sloths are generally pretty uplifting.

DVD

Cyburbian
It's been a good morning. Scared the engineering lady by delivery a cup of ice with my spare clown wig and cheap nose. She loves clowns. :roflmao:

Then someone brought in the donuts or is it doughnuts? I don't care, they were good.

Now there are bagels!

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's been a good morning. Scared the engineering lady by delivery a cup of ice with my spare clown wig and cheap nose. She loves clowns. :roflmao:

Then someone brought in the donuts or is it doughnuts? I don't care, they were good.

Now there are bagels!
you are having an excellent day!

AG74683

Cyburbian
Copier says you cannot empty the waste toner box and you must purchase a new one.

Copier is wrong. I am MacGyver now.

EDIT* Apparently I broke the black toner thing on the toner box, so now it's shooting toner out all over the inside of the copier. BUT....it's still printing so.

EDIT 2* It stopped working again. I broke off some sort of wheel on it. It's working again.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Copier says you cannot empty the waste toner box and you must purchase a new one.

Copier is wrong. I am MacGyver now.

EDIT* Apparently I broke the black toner thing on the toner box, so now it's shooting toner out all over the inside of the copier. BUT....it's still printing so.

EDIT 2* It stopped working again. I broke off some sort of wheel on it. It's working again.
You better RJ it outta there this afternoon

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have determined that the gear I broke off (more like "gently removed" because I think it can be replaced) is part of the mechanism that detects if the toner box is full. Since it was removed, it doesn't seem to be having any problems.

This copier is incredibly annoying. It will not even allow you to scan with the toner box full, even though that doesn't even use toner.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have determined that the gear I broke off (more like "gently removed" because I think it can be replaced) is part of the mechanism that detects if the toner box is full. Since it was removed, it doesn't seem to be having any problems.

This copier is incredibly annoying. It will not even allow you to scan with the toner box full, even though that doesn't even use toner.
I think I hear the alarm on the other side of town ringing...

lol

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Potato or Potato?
things_not_to_say_to_irish_people.jpg

Anyhow, we watched Nature on PBS yesterday The topic was Mustelida. I'm now convinced that if humans go extinct, honey badgers will evolve to the point where they build a civilization. Sure, maybe honey badger don't care, but check this out.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
:mad:
Porterville, CA Library Fire -
Porterville may be ‘outraged,’ DA says. But 13-year-olds can’t be tried as adults

Not to mention a the community losing their library.

DVD

Cyburbian
It's a WTF kind of day, but at least donuts and bagels have been involved.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
[looking in the mirror]Hey...old man....236 lbs is turning you into a fat old guy. Stop it![/looking in the mirror]

AG74683

Cyburbian
Update - the copier is still working and it hasn't said anything about the toner box being full now.