• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

Big Owl

Cyburbian
One of my favorite breweries is releasing a Horchata White Ale today. I am heading there after work to pick up a 6-pack or two. It's good stuff if I remember it correctly.

Copier says you cannot empty the waste toner box and you must purchase a new one.

Copier is wrong. I am MacGyver now.

EDIT* Apparently I broke the black toner thing on the toner box, so now it's shooting toner out all over the inside of the copier. BUT....it's still printing so.

EDIT 2* It stopped working again. I broke off some sort of wheel on it. It's working again.
I hope breaking off pieces or parts isn't part of your operating procedure in emergency medicine.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Is it possible to sell auto insurance without being funny? I’m doubtful

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I want the rain to push off for two or three more days. My yard is a muddy mess. I just want some time to get things done. This winter has been rough on my yard with all the freeze / thaw and rain. I feel like mother earth knew I was going to plant grass on the slopes this year and just wants me to remember to prioritize it...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Today's totally random. Do people really sell dumpers?

dumpers.jpg

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Today's totally random. Do people really sell dumpers?

View attachment 47976
Bag O' ...

AIB the Classic SNL skit -
SNL Transcripts: Candice Bergen: 12/11/76: Consumer Probe

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Done with the flu. I am a burned out hull of a human being now.
yuck - sorry you are sick!

I came in yesterday to work to finish moving and ended up doing very little - moving and going through 50 years of planning documents is both depressing and overwhelming - when I am in the game of it, it's a fun history lesson but when seen as a whole, and with other deadlines looming and doing the job of 2 people until we hire someone, it paralyzes me

I love everything else about being here but this is a killer

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Done with the flu. I am a burned out hull of a human being now.
I likely had the same bug as you back in November. I was out of commission for about 4-6 working days and minor pneumonia.

Take it easy in recovery.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have decided that once I look at a permit application and turn it down for missing information, every review after that first one will require another zoning fee payment. We only charge $25 for our residential permits, and I swear I'm looking at these things 3 or 4 times before they're complete.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have decided that once I look at a permit application and turn it down for missing information, every review after that first one will require another zoning fee payment. We only charge $25 for our residential permits, and I swear I'm looking at these things 3 or 4 times before they're complete.
We charge $50 as a base fee.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
We charge $50 as a base fee.
We have checklists and simply won't take them in over the counter if they are missing materials. If we later find the information is incomplete, we go back and forth with the applicant to try to get complete incorporation, but honestly, our checklist system catches better than 95% of them. If an applicant has been told something is incomplete and drags their feet getting back to me, I just denty the applciation and move on.

AG74683

Cyburbian
We have checklists and simply won't take them in over the counter if they are missing materials. If we later find the information is incomplete, we go back and forth with the applicant to try to get complete incorporation, but honestly, our checklist system catches better than 95% of them. If an applicant has been told something is incomplete and drags their feet getting back to me, I just denty the applciation and move on.
I have tons of checklists, but nobody follows them. Lately it's like an intentional disregard to show what's required. Latest example is a project featuring a large residential addition plus a pretty big rear deck. The site plan only shows the addition, no mention of the deck at all. The building plans on the other hand show it. Why would you include it on one, but not the other you ask? Simple, because the deck doesn't meet setbacks, they know it, and hoped I wouldn't catch it.

Another one has a site plan that shows everything planned, but the building plans show completely different sized structures. I don't get it.

Lowland

Cyburbian
Lately it's like an intentional disregard to show what's required. Latest example is a project featuring a large residential addition plus a pretty big rear deck. The site plan only shows the addition, no mention of the deck at all. The building plans on the other hand show it. Why would you include it on one, but not the other you ask? Simple, because the deck doesn't meet setbacks, they know it, and hoped I wouldn't catch it.

Another one has a site plan that shows everything planned, but the building plans show completely different sized structures. I don't get it.
We've been experiencing this a lot lately. There are times, especially with a particular local design firm, where it feels intentional or a blatant attempt to sneak things through. I'm not fully certain how to handle the situation, but I feel like I have to baby sit them on every single application and review.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Bag O' ...
I saw a bag o' glass for sale at Pier One a while back. Seriously.

bag_o_glass.jpg

All the calming colors of the sea are mixed into this colorful glass combo. Which means you can use it to create serene scenes and candlescapes.
  • Blue/Green/Teal/Frosted White
  • Glass, acetate and paper
  • Decorative use only
  • Keep out of reach of children and pets
  • Imported
  • Keep away from high heat, sparks and open flames
  • Keep out of reach of children and pets
  • Item 2513006
Yes, they listed "Keep out of reach of children and pets" twice.

My wife has the flu now, despite having a flu show a while back. I'm megadosing on Vitamin C.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I saw a bag o' glass for sale at Pier One a while back. Seriously.

View attachment 47977

Yes, they listed "Keep away from high heat, sparks and open flames" twice.

My wife has the flu now, despite having a flu show a while back. I'm megadosing on Vitamin C.
If I learned anything from Breaking Bad, that is meth.

• Haha
Reactions: Dan

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I have tons of checklists, but nobody follows them. Lately it's like an intentional disregard to show what's required. Latest example is a project featuring a large residential addition plus a pretty big rear deck. The site plan only shows the addition, no mention of the deck at all. The building plans on the other hand show it. Why would you include it on one, but not the other you ask? Simple, because the deck doesn't meet setbacks, they know it, and hoped I wouldn't catch it.

Can you just push it back across the counter and not accept it? I realize sometimes that's politically untenable. Most of our submissions are in person so we try to have people correct minor deficiencies at the counter and then submit. Woefully incomplete applications that come in by mail simply get mailed back with a brief "incomplete" note.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Can you just push it back across the counter and not accept it? I realize sometimes that's politically untenable. Most of our submissions are in person so we try to have people correct minor deficiencies at the counter and then submit. Woefully incomplete applications that come in by mail simply get mailed back with a brief "incomplete" note.
I would, but I'm not the one accepting it. The permit tech is. She basically just takes whatever, which is a pain because we end up with junk all over the office. Half completed applications which may sit there for weeks before they finish them. This sort of makes us look bad because the actual intake date of the application is weeks earlier so we end up looking like we take forever to approve stuff. It's pretty annoying, but whatever. I don't really care anymore. I plan on just raising fees to reflect the amount of work put into each permit.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I would, but I'm not the one accepting it. The permit tech is. She basically just takes whatever, which is a pain because we end up with junk all over the office. Half completed applications which may sit there for weeks before they finish them. This sort of makes us look bad because the actual intake date of the application is weeks earlier so we end up looking like we take forever to approve stuff. It's pretty annoying, but whatever. I don't really care anymore. I plan on just raising fees to reflect the amount of work put into each permit.
Aha. I have supervisory authority over the people in that role. They know that if they take incomplete stuff, they get to "own" it and chase down the details. Our checklists have a column for the applicant to initial and one for the tech.

Planit

Cyburbian
Harvey was found guilty on several counts, but not guilty on the 2 most severe counts.

I have not really followed the case, but ever since it started I kept thinking that the "Casting Couch" was always a thing in show business, not a myth, and this just proved it. Not that I think its right or he should get a pass, but it was/is something real.

DVD

Cyburbian
Residential permits are done over the counter unless someone needs to do a building plan review. So you either have what we need or you don't get a permit.
Other permits go through a checklist and if it's not complete we reject it.
I still get the occasional crap project that looks like a kid drew it, but not that many

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, we've got one of those too.

Newark has a similar warehouse building to the T & P one. It was originally owned by the Central Railroad of New Jersey.

It's nearly completed with the renovations but sat vacant and derelict for decades. It's now been renamed Ironside. M&M Mars (yes the candy company) will now be it's anchor tenant for their HQ.

Street view from 2013: https://goo.gl/maps/yVYwjHveviVdQ6cv5
Article: https://jerseydigs.com/inside-ironside-former-newark-warehouse-adaptive-commercial-reuse/
Project website: http://www.ironsidenewark.com/

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Newark has a similar warehouse building to the T & P one. It was originally owned by the Central Railroad of New Jersey.

It's nearly completed with the renovations but sat vacant and derelict for decades. It's now been renamed Ironside. M&M Mars (yes the candy company) will now be it's anchor tenant for their HQ.

Street view from 2013: https://goo.gl/maps/yVYwjHveviVdQ6cv5
Article: https://jerseydigs.com/inside-ironside-former-newark-warehouse-adaptive-commercial-reuse/
Project website: http://www.ironsidenewark.com/
OMG is that ziggurat style Art Deco (from Doohickies pic)? What is that building, from about 1922?

DVD

Cyburbian
Bonus points to Maister for legitimately using ziggurat in a sentence and an extra 100 points if he know what it means.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Our direction is to take in applications, complete or not. I have made the same argument as you (it makes it seem like we take along time even though it is the applicant that has caused the delay) but the political will is to not turn people away. The consistent struggle is the piecemeal submittal process that then happens afterward. One development company is notorious for submitting one item at a time, and pursuant to state law, I still need to write a Notice of Incomplete Submittal each time that happens.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Bonus points to Maister for legitimately using ziggurat in a sentence and an extra 100 points if he know what it means.
Today was a very ziggurat kind of day. We went out on the ziggurat, did the usual ziggurat related things and then spent the rest of the day wishing we were in ancient Sumeria. I noticed DVD in particular appeared to be very zigged out.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Today was a very ziggurat kind of day. We went out on the ziggurat, did the usual ziggurat related things and then spent the rest of the day wishing we were in ancient Sumeria. I noticed DVD in particular appeared to be very zigged out.

Did you go to Zingerman's or not? I am hungry.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I guess the only way to sell auto insurance is through humor. Which is kind of weird since nothing about auto insurance makes me laugh.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
It's so weird down here in South Carolina hearing people talk about having pancakes today. Where I'm from it's Fastnacht Day.