• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

kms

Cyburbian
I used to take my kids out to eat for Mardi Gras, and told them that they could eat dessert for dinner. Every time, they ordered chicken nuggets.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
we used to go out for a big steak at Hilltop in Saugus, MA - old fashioned steakhouse that was acres in size

AG74683

Cyburbian
I was on the way to a meeting at admin and saw one of the ambulances at a house up the road from our office. I noticed it wasn't the normal response ambulance, it was the shift supervisor truck. There's only one guy on that truck, so I asked him if he needed an extra pair of hands.

I'm multi talented now!!

DVD

Cyburbian
I going to make a dog poop award for one of the supervisors in another division. Just some cut out wood shape they can put on their employee's desk when they are annoying them.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I think we should give more awards in general. Like random, non-mean ones. Like the Chair award, granted to whomever is fastest at getting from office to office on their chair rolling without feet.

Stuff like that.... you know.... normal stuff.

Planit

Cyburbian
For "some" reason I wound up with 2 office chairs from a place that closed. We had office chairs races in the driveway & garage with various modes of power (your own feet, someone else pushing, leaf blower and such).

Fun Stuff. Good times.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My desk chair has a stencil reading "USVA" on the leg, having I guess been retired from the Veteran's Administration. I've had the chair for at least 25 years and it is pretty ratty looking. But dang, is it comfortable.

I've told everyone, it is coming with me when I leave here.:p

Reactions: kms

kms

Cyburbian
My desk chair has a stencil reading "USVA" on the leg, having I guess been retired from the Veteran's Administration. I've had the chair for at least 25 years and it is pretty ratty looking. But dang, is it comfortable.

I had an old federal government desk chair at a previous office. We called it the Nixon Chair. We moved to a brand new office and got new office furniture. Everyone got new desk chairs, and I had permission to have the Nixon Chair reupholstered. I loved that chair.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I going to make a dog poop award for one of the supervisors in another division. Just some cut out wood shape they can put on their employee's desk when they are annoying them.
I volunteer to make the poop award. It will be good for my woodworking skills.

Speaking of smelly things, I have just created a new product called "smelly flowers". These are flowers that you send to people you dislike. They get all excited receiving mystery flowers on a random day, and when they go to take a big sniff, BOOM, poop flowers. Surprise! Someone just wanted to ruin your day.

TOFB

Cyburbian
My office chair has worn through the fabric in many places. No thought of getting a new one.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Speaking of smelly things, I have just created a new product called "smelly flowers". These are flowers that you send to people you dislike. They get all excited receiving mystery flowers on a random day, and when they go to take a big sniff, BOOM, poop flowers. Surprise! Someone just wanted to ruin your day.
You put entirely too much thought into this AG. We're all a bit concerned about you....

Planit

Cyburbian

I'm sure Ms. Know-it-all is on your list to receive.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Our office chairs suck. Every chair in the building was replaced at once when we moved into the building about 13 years ago and they are starting to fail en masse now. My problem is with the armrests where the pleather starts to crack and the gel/foam inside of them seeps out and sticks to everything. I've had that happen to a few chairs in the past year or so and each time it happens, I push my chair into an empty cubicle and go search out a chair from an empty cube or office I can move into mine. I complain to our Facilities every time and ask for a new chair (or one to replace the one I moved from another office) but it never happens. Other people have also started to put broken desk/cabinet parts and chairs in the same cube so eventually somebody from Facilities will come through and see this office furniture graveyard and maybe they'll finally budget us some new furniture.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Stationery geeks rave about federal government ballpoint pens. Whenever I've gotten my hands on them, though, I haven't been so impressed. "US GOVERNMENT" Skilcraft pens seem like knockpff Bics. Besides, I'm a fountain pen geek, so a ball-based pen has to be really good -- like, on the same level as a Uniball Vision Elite -- to make me notice.

Speaking of Skilcraft pens, I need to apply for a Census job. Extra income, it gets me outside, and I feel like I had a role in gathering the data that's essential to my work. I worked Census 2010, and I think that qualifies me for an inside job -- nice, if doesn't conflict with my weekday 8-to-4.

Bubba

Cyburbian

Nope - that's Usva's chair, and he's still looking for it. You've been warned.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I woke up with my back hurting. I feel old.

Also, the sink faucet in our employee lunch room changed. That has really thrown me this morning...

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I would rather slip a parallel universe than a disc.
Exactly. I may be losing my mind in my old age, but I want to keep my agility. What if the NFL asks me to go to the combine one of these years?

AG74683

Cyburbian
It is incredibly foggy out this morning. It's hard to see anything beyond 100 feet. And yet, I saw multiple cars driving around without headlights. I cannot fathom why the hell anyone would be driving around without headlights. I've seen this crap during heavy rain storms too...I don't get it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Stationery geeks rave about federal government ballpoint pens. Whenever I've gotten my hands on them, though, I haven't been so impressed. "US GOVERNMENT" Skilcraft pens seem like knockpff Bics. Besides, I'm a fountain pen geek, so a ball-based pen has to be really good -- like, on the same level as a Uniball Vision Elite -- to make me notice.
I'm not a pen geek but when I was in the Marines we always had those Skilcraft pens and I always thought they were absolutely horrible. My mom was a pharmacist and always had tons of pens from drug companies so I would grab a handful of those every time I visited home. There were always a few duds in the bunch but there were always some that I really liked how they wrote. Even those duds though were better than the Skilcraft pens.

I don't care about expensive or fancy inksticks but I am sort of particular. These days I only really like to use the pens that my dentist gives out or the pens that I get at a particular annual conference. The pens from the conference earn bonus points because they are Maize and Blue and the organizers know I really like them so they always bring me extras when I see them at various points during the year.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
It is incredibly foggy out this morning. It's hard to see anything beyond 100 feet. And yet, I saw multiple cars driving around without headlights. I cannot fathom why the hell anyone would be driving around without headlights. I've seen this crap during heavy rain storms too...I don't get it.
Simply put...they're bad drivers.

Therefore, always be vigilant.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Ha! This brings to mind a huge pet peeve of mine: People who think their daytime running lights are sufficient in foggy/rainy weather. Uhhh hey jackass, if I were you I'd be more concerned about someone plowing into the back of me since they can't see a thing. So many cars are the color of gray skies you just can't see them particularly in rain and heavy mist or road spray. I also can't stand people who think they're good because they turn on their parking lights. Those are not for when you're driving.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Working on stuff for the CM for our 2020 tax reval. I decided to look up my own house. I'll see a 117% increase in evaluation, equating to a $21,825 increase in my property value.

I knew it was coming, my house was way undervalued, and I was fully expecting the hit. I could possibly argue it down to what my appraisal was when I bought it (basically purchase price), but idiots like to think that the tax evaluation = property appraisal.

It'll be roughly 235 dollars in extra taxes, or around 20 a month extra to my mortgage. Not the worst thing in the world. I'm not gonna appeal it, doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Tears for Fears' album Songs from the Big Chair is 35 today, which makes me think of the end scene of Real Genius:

That song reminds me of a girl I was dating in college. First girl I half assed proposed to. She was from Virginia originally and introduced me to all thing Southern.

DVD

Cyburbian
What is this fog you speak of? It's a chilly 69 and sunny and I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1582730907296.png

Listen sonny boy, what are you hopped up on goofballs?

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian

Speaking of Skilcraft pens, I need to apply for a Census job. Extra income, it gets me outside, and I feel like I had a role in gathering the data that's essential to my work. I worked Census 2010, and I think that qualifies me for an inside job -- nice, if doesn't conflict with my weekday 8-to-4.
Uniball Vision Elite is my pen of choice.

AG74683

Cyburbian
OH MY GOD. How freaking hard is it to submit a site plan and building plans that match?! I mean seriously, this should not be brain surgery (or rocket science), but somehow you'd think I'm asking for the world. That's two that I've caught today. If people just stopped trying to fit monstrosities on tiny lots, this wouldn't be that much of an issue. Unfortunately, because they are cramming massive houses on 75' wide lots, a foot or two matters.

*I strongly recommend you click the link. SFW and hilarious.

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
OH MY GOD. How freaking hard is it to submit a site plan and building plans that match?! I mean seriously, this should not be brain surgery (or rocket science), but somehow you'd think I'm asking for the world. That's two that I've caught today. If people just stopped trying to fit monstrosities on tiny lots, this wouldn't be that much of an issue. Unfortunately, because they are cramming massive houses on 75' wide lots, a foot or two matters.

*I strongly recommend you click the link. SFW and hilarious.
That has to be the loudest laugh track I've ever heard. It was funny, though. :ha:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Even worse is when they put on their high beams. That should be a capital offense.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Even worse is when they put on their high beams. That should be a capital offense.
Talk about counterproductive. Only thing worse than doing it in fog is doing it during a blizzard or whiteout

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Initials of the Day

From the CDC -
NPIs -Non-pharmaceutical interventions

There are three categories of NPIs.
Personal NPIs which include personal protective measures you can take every day and personal protective measures reserved for pandemics.
Community NPIs which include social distancing measures designed to keep people who are sick away from others. And school closures and dismissals.
And environmental NPIs which includes surface cleaning measures.
Transcript for the CDC Telebriefing Update on COVID-19

Document linked
Planning Guidance and Checklists

Last edited: