• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

AG74683

Cyburbian
Clive Cussler, prolific adventure novelist and creator of Dirk Pitt, is dead at 88

Raise the Titanic! (1976)
Aw. I always really enjoyed his books, even though they were generally off the wall crazy. I find it weird that there's been very little of his books adapted into movies. I would have thought the Dirk Pitt novels would have been an absolute gold mine for Hollywood. Only Raise the Titanic! and Sahara were made into feature length films. The dude was basically Indiana Jones and James Bond combined into a single character.

Reactions: JNA

estromberg

Cyburbian
I volunteer to make the poop award. It will be good for my woodworking skills.

Speaking of smelly things, I have just created a new product called "smelly flowers". These are flowers that you send to people you dislike. They get all excited receiving mystery flowers on a random day, and when they go to take a big sniff, BOOM, poop flowers. Surprise! Someone just wanted to ruin your day.
At my last job, one co-worker sent another co-worker this gem.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Clive Cussler, prolific adventure novelist and creator of Dirk Pitt, is dead at 88

Raise the Titanic! (1976)
On my birthday too. I always enjoyed Mr. Cussler and his ability to write the most ridiculous books that I kinda enjoyed reading.

Reactions: JNA

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Aw. I always really enjoyed his books, even though they were generally off the wall crazy. I find it weird that there's been very little of his books adapted into movies. I would have thought the Dirk Pitt novels would have been an absolute gold mine for Hollywood. Only Raise the Titanic! and Sahara were made into feature length films. The dude was basically Indiana Jones and James Bond combined into a single character.
I was into his books for a while but got tired of his characters. There was talk of making a series out of his books, but it never happened.

Keeping with the same morbid theme, David Roback from Mazzy Star had died. This was one of my favorite bands. Between his guitar work and Hope Sandoval's vocals, they were great.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Everyone in my household (including me) has been confused this week regarding which day of the week it actually is, on any given day. It feels like it should be Friday today.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I work for a small town that is going though an epic growth boom. But, one of the things that gets under my skin is when a developer gets angry and tries to push us around. I will work with people to help in the grey areas when possible, but I am not going to violate my ethics to allow a Beef-A-Roo to meet their 'corporate' profile.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Everyone in my household (including me) has been confused this week regarding which day of the week it actually is, on any given day. It feels like it should be Friday today.
I really and truly wish it was Friday today. The weekend can't get here soon enough to suit me.

estromberg

Cyburbian
I work for a small town that is going though an epic growth boom. But, one of the things that gets under my skin is when a developer gets angry and tries to push us around. I will work with people to help in the grey areas when possible, but I am not going to violate my ethics to allow a Beef-A-Roo to meet their 'corporate' profile.
Beef-A-Roo? That's a local chain from my neck of the woods (Rockford, IL).

AG74683

Cyburbian
This is my entire life. We aren't experiencing any sort of boom, but we get pushed around constantly. People think because we're some rural county that somehow we are less than everyone else. Ridiculous. I can pick up pretty quick when someone is getting that attitude and I shut it down fast.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So what you are telling me is that at 3:02PM on we had nothing random to say? I don't believe it.

Planit

Cyburbian
On the way into the job this morning...

On the day I was born
The nurses all gathered 'round
And they gazed in wide wonder
At the joy they had found
The head nurse spoke up
And she said "leave this one alone"
She could tell right away
That I was bad to the bone

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I'm starting to see a lot of chatter about coronavirus and about employers arranging for people to work from home. Of course i work for a municipality that has no existing work-from-home policy whatsoever and it's only a matter of time before my people start demanding the ability to do so.

kms

Cyburbian
I'm starting to see a lot of chatter about coronavirus and about employers arranging for people to work from home. Of course i work for a municipality that has no existing work-from-home policy whatsoever and it's only a matter of time before my people start demanding the ability to do so.
Management had a Coronavirus breakout session yesterday during staff meeting. I wasn’t here, but I understand we were told to wash our hands.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
We have work from home option that only certain people are allowed to use (depends on job description and classification). If pushed, that may get expanded, but for now, no changes.

I could work from home more often if directed, but I'm not the type to do it permanently.

DVD

Cyburbian
So I'm off today doing yard work and I've discovered the stickiest objects in the world. Coming in at #2 is the extension cord. I'm not talking about the joy it has wrapping around any tree to make sure you can't reach the rest of the yard. It's the ability to stick to anything that even a good yank on the cord won't break it free. Things like the corner of the house or a large rock, but that all pales in comparison to #1. The leaf. I'm using a leaf blower with 150 mph hurricane force winds in a focused area and there is always one leaf that says screw it, I'm not moving. We're talking wind power that could take out the roof of a house, but not move a leaf. It will move all the little rocks with barely a side swipe of wind, but not a leaf. You know you want to just pick up the leaf and move on, but that would require bending over and damn it, you have a tool specifically designed to move leaves for you. What is the power of this leaf to not move? I want to harness this power as the next super glue. Think of it, the handle fell off your favorite coffee cup? No problem my glue will stick as long as there is a breeze of some kind in the room. On a side note, why is it after you do a thorough job of moving all the leaves into a pile, because you finally picked up that one leaf, that there is always a mystery leaf that just appears? It's like it's mocking you. It's mocking the good work you've done. I don't know about you, but I just leave it. I make sure it knows all its friends are gone. It can mock me all it wants, but it will do it alone.

Reactions: Dan

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Does anyone ever feel like they're trapped inside an acid trip that won't end? I went to a Walgreens a few minutes ago to pick up a prescription and there I was greeted by a seven foot tall llama that was handing out coupons for Llama Loops breakfast cereal. Llama. Loops. breakfast cereal. Llama Loops breakfast cereal? There are a bunch of human beings who got together and using the tool of language decided to form a thing called a 'corporation' that has as it's principle goal the aim of amassing the greatest amount of green strips of paper (called 'money' - another fascinating concept) they can. The way to do this is to manufacture a food item using grains that have been cultivated and domesticated by our species for millennia, coat it with lots of sugar, put it in a box labelled 'Llama Loops' and ask for 4 of those strips of green paper in exchange for said box. There is another species we share this planet with that our species refers to as 'llamas'. However, llamas don't eat Llama loops. In fact, llamas have no idea what Llama Loops are. In fact, even members of our own species that live in the region of the world where llamas live probably have never seen or heard of llama loops. So there we have the story of Llama Loops. Should there maybe be a Llama Loops song? How did I end up on this planet? I don't remember requesting assignment here. I really don't.

1582915145109.png

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone ever feel like they're trapped inside an acid trip that won't end? I went to a Walgreens a few minutes ago to pick up a prescription and there I was greeted by a seven foot tall llama that was handing out coupons for Llama Loops breakfast cereal. Llama. Loops. breakfast cereal. Llama Loops breakfast cereal? There are a bunch of human beings who got together and using the tool of language decided to form a thing called a 'corporation' that has as it's principle goal the aim of amassing the greatest amount of green strips of paper (called 'money' - another fascinating concept) they can. The way to do this is to manufacture a food item using grains that have been cultivated and domesticated by our species for millennia, coat it with lots of sugar, put it in a box labelled 'Llama Loops' and ask for 4 of those strips of green paper in exchange for said box. There is another species we share this planet with that our species refers to as 'llamas'. However, llamas don't eat Llama loops. In fact, llamas have no idea what Llama Loops are. In fact, even members of our own species that live in the region of the world where llamas live probably have never seen or heard of llama loops. So there we have the story of Llama Loops. Should there maybe be a Llama Loops song? How did I end up on this planet? I don't remember requesting assignment here. I really don't.

View attachment 47992
There is a llama song, but it's not a llama loops song.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Maister, really, you've just slipped into an adjacent parallel universe.

In my universe, there's no alliteration in the name of this breakfast cereal as the name should be pronounced 'JAHmah Loops'.

I hear no sweet alliteration.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
anthropomorphic animals selling cereal?......anthropomorphic animals selling cereal?......anthropomorphic animals selling cereal?......anthropomorphic animals selling cereal?......anthropomorphic animals selling cereal?......

How did we get here? I don't understand. So the denizens of this particular universe find this all somehow.....normal?

kms

Cyburbian
I saw an article about the house where Mister Rogers grew up. While reading the article, I was surprised to find out that not only do I know who lives there now, but I serve on a board with her.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
How did I end up on this planet? I don't remember requesting assignment here. I really don't.

View attachment 47992
This is actually a prison planet for the criminally insane. You mind was wiped so you can't remember what you did on Alpha Centauri Tau. Fortunately the rebellion you tried to foment there was suppressed, however so brutally. Unfortunately you still occasionally remember that you come from another planet. Guess it's back to the reeducation center for you.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This is actually a prison planet for the criminally insane. You mind was wiped so you can't remember what you did on Alpha Centauri Tau. Fortunately the rebellion you tried to foment there was suppressed, however so brutally. Unfortunately you still occasionally remember that you come from another planet. Guess it's back to the reeducation center for you.
It's all coming back to me now! NOOOOO!

Please, I want some Llama Loops. They are perfectly normal. I like them. They are what I want. Don't send me back there!!! PLLLEEEASE!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Well, actually.... ;)

It could be actual Hell...in the Christian sense and we just need to get through it then we all get to go to Heaven.

Yes...even Mr. Hilter. o_O

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
It's all coming back to me now! NOOOOO!

Please, I want some Llama Loops. They are perfectly normal. I like them. They are what I want. Don't send me back there!!! PLLLEEEASE!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
An interviewer once asked Timothy Leary shortly before he passed away if he thought LSD has affected our culture at large and he responded our culture has become so lysergicized that we no longer even notice it. I believe I now understand what he meant.

1582917828416.png

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Nap Time!

Think either of the other two people on my side of the building would notice or care if I took a snooze?

Planit

Cyburbian
01 alastair philip wiper unintnded beauty

This is the still in southern Sweden where Absolut Vodka is made - yes, all of it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I ate my weight in chicken livers for lunch today.

We are getting a new restaurant here in town. It's apparently run by Mormons.

It's just going to be your regular old mom and mom and mom and pop restaurant. :ha: :ha: :ha:

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Oddly, I got nearly 8 hours of sleep last night. That's a very rare thing indeed.
We are getting a new restaurant here in town. It's apparently run by Mormons.

It's just going to be your regular old mom and mom and mom and pop restaurant. :ha: :ha: :ha:
Ba dum bum chhh! Don't forget to tip the wait staff

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I wish there was a way to award points and awards for weekend and after-hours posts.

Tied in curling yesterday. Our team was up 7-2 in the last end. We had the 1st shot rock on the button, but the other team had the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th shot rocks. The skip of the other team tapped back our counter, it slid out of the house, and they scored 5 points to tie the game.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
How vivid is your memory recall of the various senses? Recalling, for instance, the taste of fresh corn on the cob, grilled steak, or watermelon in the summer? How about the smell of fresh tar? How about music from a live concert you attended? How about the sight of your kitchen in a previous place you lived years ago? How about the feel of corduroy pants?

Does your memory recall of certain sense experiences seem closer to the original experience than other senses?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
01 alastair philip wiper unintnded beauty

This is the still in southern Sweden where Absolut Vodka is made - yes, all of it.
A far cry from copper kettles, campfires, and keep a sharp lookout for the revenuers.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Junior's online activities have prompted an inquiry....what is Discord?