• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I believe most kitchen bar stools are there just for looks. They are rarely, if ever, used. Mine are a collection point for more crap, and that bar area of the kitchen counter hasn't been clear in years.
Our three high-back "stools" get used daily by my kids. The youngest or I usually eat breakfast at the counter. If we are lucky enough to all be home to have dinner together, one usually eats at the counter so we don't have two kids sitting next to each other (brotherly love does not exist) at the table. Plus the table is usually pushed against the wall to make additional room to walk around the island counter. This is what in the building industry is called a "functional kitchen" which means is has all you really need but not what you really want. And functional has a capacity of two people. So I guess when the kids are gone we'll finally feel like we have an open kitchen.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I downsized to a townhouse from a house 6 months ago. I am giving serious thought to moving into an RV rather than buy this place. I could buy an RV for 18 months worth of rent. I would have to shed some more stuff and it would be harder for my kids to visit, but we are in the era of why not? I want to truly lower the footprint and simplify life. My parents refuse to and now my mom is beyond being able to. I wont do that to my kids.
My folks suggested that. My concern is are you changing one expense for another. You are still looking at repairs and a place to sit it. I like the idea because it would allow me to bug mini WYP.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
My folks suggested that. My concern is are you changing one expense for another. You are still looking at repairs and a place to sit it. I like the idea because it would allow me to bug mini WYP.
The monthly expense of the RV would be a lot less than my rent is for my townhouse.

Downsizing is the biggest issue. It would take some time to go through my stuff thoroughly. I would probably have to get a storage unit in the short term.

AG74683

Cyburbian
"Ag. exempt" building on a 4 acre lot next to the owners house for "tools".

Yeah sure, I buy that one. Nope.

Another one for today. A "country club" on a 0.47 acre piece of property. The athletic facilities include 2 horse shoe pits and 3 corn hole lanes. Okay buddy.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I know we are supposed to be a little stealthy with our names and locations but here is today:

Sign Contractor: I am looking for your regulations on signs:

Me: You are looking for Davenport Florida, right?

Sign Contractor: Yes.

Me: This is Davenport, Iowa; I can't help you.

Sign Contractor: Can you transfer me?

J F C

Big Owl

Cyburbian

Another one for today. A "country club" on a 0.47 acre piece of property. The athletic facilities include 2 horse shoe pits and 3 corn hole lanes. Okay buddy.
Was that to skirt ABC laws? Is your county a dry county?

DVD

Cyburbian
Had a little cold over the weekend, but I'm over it. Boss didn't like the sound of my voice so he sent me home sick today. Who am I to argue. Especially while I listen to the rest of the office hacking up their lungs. Those are the damn people that gave me my cold.

So if you need me I'll be at home watching some netflix.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Was that to skirt ABC laws? Is your county a dry county?
We have alcohol sales, but the zoning ordinance doesn't have a use for "bar", just "restaurant". We only allow full alcohol sales here too, you need to sell both liquor and beer. That generally means they can't meet the threshold the ABC requires if you don't serve food, because IIRC liquor sales require food sales. He's just trying to avoid the conditional use permit for a bar because he knows it'll get denied. There's going to be a ton of opposition to it. It's right outside a gated community and inside that community is a full restaurant.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I know we are supposed to be a little stealthy with our names and locations but here is today:

J F C
I've had a zoning application turned into me from city in another city (2,000 miles away) because we share the same name.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I've had a zoning application turned into me from city in another city (2,000 miles away) because we share the same name.
We get this a lot. Our name is very popular, and we often get calls from all over the place.

The community college here get the same calls. One of the employees there I'm friends with told me about how the mother of a famous football star in one of the other same name counties called there looking for classes to take. I guess the conversation was so positive (even though she was told she had the wrong county) she enrolled in online classes anyway.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
There are 6 jurisdictions with our exact name in Ohio. We generally just have the other numbers available to help out a bit.

---

I don't mind working from home. I think I actually get more accomplished than at work, as the only real fights that I have are with my kids, which I always win. At work that isn't the case...

TOFB

Cyburbian
We get so many calls for Davenport, FL our Admin Asst knows to ask the question when we get calls from the 407.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We are the only county with our name but there is a major city across the country with the same name as ours. Very rarely do we get calls for them. It may be more common in our Health Department or the Sheriff's office where they have 1-800 numbers that might not obviously signal to the caller which side of the country they are contacting.

Here in Metro Detroit we have a bunch of cities and townships that share names with communities in upstate NY (probably a result of migration headed directly west from that region through southern Ontario and settling down in SE Michigan). I wonder if our local communities ever get calls intended for those communities in NY?

Veloise

Cyburbian
We are the only county with our name but there is a major city across the country with the same name as ours. Very rarely do we get calls for them. It may be more common in our Health Department or the Sheriff's office where they have 1-800 numbers that might not obviously signal to the caller which side of the country they are contacting.

Here in Metro Detroit we have a bunch of cities and townships that share names with communities in upstate NY (probably a result of migration headed directly west from that region through southern Ontario and settling down in SE Michigan). I wonder if our local communities ever get calls intended for those communities in NY?
LOL! Did you know we have two Bloomfield Townships?

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I work for our county, which has the same name as the county seat, so there's always the city/county mixup.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I work for our county, which has the same name as the county seat, so there's always the city/county mixup.
That was my last gig as well except I worked for the city that had the same name as the county. It actually didn't cause as much confusion for most folks as you might think.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
That was my last gig as well except I worked for the city that had the same name as the county. It actually didn't cause as much confusion for most folks as you might think.
Good for you (then), but I have that same situation and it seems overly difficult for an appreciable amount of inquirers.

Plus, our zipcode covers the City and a couple of the adjacent unincorporated townships, so we get zoning questions often and I have to refer them to the specific township.

DVD

Cyburbian
Hanging at home to "make sure" I'm not sick. Otherwise known as watching netflix and slacking.

Had to reject some poor sucker who proposed a bunch of straight lines of led or neon lighting as "art". Disco night at the Rainbow Room is not art.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian

J F C
I once received an email for a county Planning Department in another state. An Email! With ".ny" in the email address!! I googled the real department and forwarded it along.

People are dumb.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
We have "Area Plan" in our name

- which means by state law that the city, town and county can have one planning dept, one bza, & one plan commission.

NO we don't answer for or about any of the counties next door. And one of those is national known for not having zoning.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I have a newly opened meat market in our downtown that I can walk to and get these for basically $1 each....Yum.

And they are made and sold by a local (to my county) 5th generation meat producer/farm.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From the APA National website

CERTIFICATION MAINTENANCE
We understand that many AICP members plan on the CM earned at NPC to meet their reporting period requirements. We encourage members to explore distance learning opportunities to meet their CM requirements.
  • The grace period for those in the 2018–2019 reporting period ends May 29, 2020, which is an extension of one month beyond the typical four-month grace period. At this time, additional reporting period and grace period extensions have not been planned. As the AICP Commission evaluates the evolving circumstances facing planners, updates will be shared with AICP members directly.
  • Planners approaching a reporting period deadline in the short-term may consider pursuing online learning options available through APA or other CM providers. APA Learn has nearly 400 courses including Law and Ethics, all of which are eligible for CM credit and available at a low per-credit cost.
  • If you were registered for NPC20, APA offers the option of crediting your registration fees toward professional development and membership renewal, which is applicable to APA Learn coursework.
  • Many other CM providers also offer live online and on-demand education. Members can use the CM search and the Live Online and On Demand event type filter to find distance learning courses that fit their needs.
  • APA is working on future online learning opportunities that will facilitate the same high level of professional development for planners and the planning community that you've come to expect from APA. We will communicate these opportunities to AICP members as they become available.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
From the APA National website

In one reporting cycle, I was able to get most of my CM credits via free online links on the APA website. Possible and not difficult to get your credits. Had to do that because staff under the director were not given the opportunity to attend the NPC as only management did....every year.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Some people cannot just take a hint, and feel personally affronted by the law affecting them.

Guy bought an illegal non-conforming structure (storage building on a lot without a primary structure in a subdivision). The previous owners recombined several parcels some years ago, and in doing so, they cut the barn off from the lot with the dwelling. I can't stop recombinations, but if they result in zoning non-conformities I can enforce the zoning code.

Anyway, he wants power on the barn now, but we're not going to give it to him since the barn is an illegal non-conforming structure. He wants a "text variance", whatever that means, and then he got mad and said we're just enforcing the code against him and no one else. Every single time this guy has come in, it's been an issue. He refuses to play by the rules and gets upset when we deny him. Foolish.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Why is it if you are an academic, or current or past national or state office holder and no felonies are the only real criteria for FAICP?
I once received an email for a county Planning Department in another state. An Email! With ".ny" in the email address!! I googled the real department and forwarded it along.

People are dumb.
I've talked to my colleagues in Florida and they get a few for us. We are 20 times larger. Maybe that's part of the answer.

TOFB

Cyburbian
All four of my bands are essentially shut down. My main gig was working on this arrangement (with horns of course). Kind of kooky.

Brandy RHCP

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian

In my state "ag exempts" have to get a determination from the state, which I can then either follow or disagree with. Having to apply to the state first cuts this crap down to nothing.

AG74683

Cyburbian
In my state "ag exempts" have to get a determination from the state, which I can then either follow or disagree with. Having to apply to the state first cuts this crap down to nothing.
I would LOVE that, especially considering the state is where these convoluted garbage laws come from to begin with. Ultimately, I did let him slide with the ag. exemption. He didn't seem to be attempting anything underhanded with it, he just didn't know better. The building was on a 4 acre lot with his house, but the majority of it will be used to support the farm (like 200 acres all around him). It wasn't worth fighting over. I suggested he get building permits anyway, which he was fine with, but he had already constructed the building and inspections wanted engineered paperwork on it so he went with the ag. exemption.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I completed my Census form!
Me too! I thought there would be more questions. Do I just remember it wrong? Don't they ask lots of questions about household income, etc.? Or is that the community survey? I thought that information was part of the census too?

TOFB

Cyburbian
Some of the musicians I follow are giving concerts on Facebook.
We are spread out over 250 miles unfortunately.

I do need to be playing my horn. I love performing, like rehearsing, HATE to practice alone . . . .

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Me too! I thought there would be more questions. Do I just remember it wrong? Don't they ask lots of questions about household income, etc.? Or is that the community survey? I thought that information was part of the census too?
They got rid of the Long Form Census questionnaire when they adopted the American Community Survey after the 2000 decennial census. Starting in 2010, everybody only got the 10 question version.

Reactions: JNA

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
What's worse for Patriots fans - Brady leaving or COVID-19?

You OK, lp?

o_O

DVD

Cyburbian
It's kind of fun to see how bad your city is when an actual problem hits it.