• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
It's kind of fun to see how bad your city is when an actual problem hits it.
My area had a rehearsal of sorts with a measles outbreak in 2018/2019, so the health dept. is decent at the tracking part of things. As for treatment, we'll see. We have 2 hospitals, both small. Unsure how many ICU beds each has.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Me too! I thought there would be more questions. Do I just remember it wrong? Don't they ask lots of questions about household income, etc.? Or is that the community survey? I thought that information was part of the census too?
Wimpy ass short form with names, birthdates, relationships, race/ethnicity, and type of residential occupancy. Eff that. I want the long form. I'm not scared. I'll tell you my profession, income, education level, when my house was built, home price, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, if I have a kitchen, how long I've lived here, whatever. All that information is available from different government sources, anyhow.

DVD

Cyburbian
Looks like we're thinking about preparing to work from home. Could be exciting.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I'm still around. I and many of my coworkers are working from home via VPN. To make sure there's enough bandwidth they've tightened up internet access so I can no longer see Cyburbia from work.

Oddly, my productivity seems to be increasing.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I'm still around. I and many of my coworkers are working from home via VPN. To make sure there's enough bandwidth they've tightened up internet access so I can no longer see Cyburbia from work.

Oddly, my productivity seems to be increasing.
I think you meant "productivity". I certainly don't support what Bill in HR is suggesting.... ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
AIB Random Planner

I am not motivated to write this Subdivision Staff Report ... not. at. all.

it's only 10:30 :(

DVD

Cyburbian
Gah! I'm working the counter. Stay behind the blue line! Oh wait, there's only 11 people waiting for service and none of them need me.

DVD

Cyburbian
So the guy at the counter commented on us having a slow day.

ME: "Yep, no one is coming in with all the virus stuff, so why are you here?"

Him: I had to get these plans (new home) in before you close.

:cursing: I just wanted to ask if he realizes that if we're closed we're not going to be working on it.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Anyone else washing their hands so much their hands are dry and skin around the nails is peeling? No?

I usually apply hand creme but am afraid that will negate the handwashing cleanliness that I achieved by following CDC guidelines. Besides layering lotion on at night, anyone got a suggestion?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Anyone else washing their hands so much their hands are dry and skin around the nails is peeling? No?

I usually apply hand creme but am afraid that will negate the handwashing cleanliness that I achieved by following CDC guidelines. Besides layering lotion on at night, anyone got a suggestion?
Wear gloves, remove gloves after touching something that may be contaminated, put new gloves on.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So.

I got out for a bit today on my bicycle. I started out by picking up a prescription for my wife through the drive-thru

Then I hit the trails. Due to recent rains, I couldn't cross here...

I ended up with about 20 miles.

If you didn't enjoy your afternoon as much as I did, DILL WITH IT.

DVD

Cyburbian
So.

I got out for a bit today on my bicycle. I started out by picking up a prescription for my wife through the drive-thru

Then I hit the trails. Due to recent rains, I couldn't cross here...

I ended up with about 20 miles.

If you didn't enjoy your afternoon as much as I did, DILL WITH IT.
When the river is flooded you find a way to ford it on the bike. Dill with it!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
When the river is flooded you find a way to ford it on the bike. Dill with it!
There's a bridge less than a mile down the river, so I used that.

EDIT: This is an old picture; look how low the river is: Hardly a trickle.

Reactions: JNA

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Went for another ride Saturday- 24 miles. It was about the same temperature as the previous day (mid 50s) but sunny and less wind, so more people were out. I saw a lot of families out with their kids; they must be going stir crazy at home.

This is a hill I've never been able to climb, but it's fun going down 🙂1584908536774.gif
oX4Kkqoi5h_Oq8ZT0QiqsD5OxI-PenFNMwltap3t

KZyrB40FoFu7TbRgegklmr6QK5LD7eYcoVG4Cwhh

The river's typically about half as wide as this; we've had a lot of rain lately.
AV-spLi2flXSzAOVlS1uQHDVA5ws2iRXjQof---6

"You can't plant a tree in the middle of the road!" "Oh yeah? WATCH ME!"
gvQRTVjMycvwRTXLm6b2wZOgb64kOZ4nSlsrVkzT

This couple passed me and I drafted them for a bit before passing them again.
A-x9d7GRYtYHD9hN2I7LZDhN2wyT-w8y5BKnxah4

The trail is shaded where it cuts through Rockwood Park
RgI2kTM9eMkE9KbnMSCnX-EZz9wNcBIGn9q2lV89

Coming back into downtown
gGMBoRZ4MKaYZDg9tv0j8-Dfye0M6kQ8A3O17OPP

Sundance Square plaza downtown is usually pretty busy with nice weather, but there's not much open downtown.
bGrEH7NHyN4GUyth9amxHBRKZrCkXS-dd_j7uEPR
p2qLy9aSNXwgDaZnhb2eqAnVwa0Cng6st1Hvh4Gj

If you see the white SUV on the far side of the plaza, it's waiting in line at a local restaurant that has curbside pickup only. There is a lot of concern for those who are out of work due to the pandemic; they're trying curbside in an effort to keep restaurants open. I hope it doesn't result in transmission of the virus.

Reactions: kms

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I worry that people will mistake my allergy sniffling and coughing for covid-19.
YES! The pollen is in full swing here in the south and everything is covered in a sea of yellow. It makes it really tough to stifle the coughing and sneezing and I try to reassure the people around me that I do it every year at this time.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The Semmelweis reflex or "Semmelweis effect" is a metaphor for the reflex-like tendency to reject new evidence or new knowledge because it contradicts established norms, beliefs, or paradigms.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
YES! The pollen is in full swing here in the south and everything is covered in a sea of yellow. It makes it really tough to stifle the coughing and sneezing and I try to reassure the people around me that I do it every year at this time.
The weather changes are killing me here in Ohio. It was 60, then 24. Then 50. Then 30. My head is killing me.

DVD

Cyburbian
So the city is closed except appointments. Yep, that one jerk who usually shows up a couple minutes before closing time shows up for permits. I guess anyone can get an appointment. I'll just be happy he's here an hour before we stop serving customers normally.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am eating one donut a morning. That is exactly one more donut than I would eat normally each morning. I don't foresee this working from home being good for my diet...

Planit

Cyburbian
Since all barber shops will be closed after 5:00 pm tomorrow I had to scramble, but I scored a haircut today @ lunch.

I feel like I just found a 24 count pack of toilet paper!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I am eating one donut a morning. That is exactly one more donut than I would eat normally each morning. I don't foresee this working from home being good for my diet...
I've found I'm eating a lot better now that I am working from home. When I am out of the house, I don't have my wife seeing what I eat nor do I feel the need to set a good example for my kids. When I am at home during the day I eat a lot more fruit and fresh veggies as snacks and not Trader Joe's Chocolate Truffles or massive bags of Sour Patch Kids.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I've found I'm eating a lot better now that I am working from home. When I am out of the house, I don't have my wife seeing what I eat nor do I feel the need to set a good example for my kids. When I am at home during the day I eat a lot more fruit and fresh veggies as snacks and not Trader Joe's Chocolate Truffles or massive bags of Sour Patch Kids.
My wife is working extra right now, so it is just me and the kids mostly. Which means that they are like can I have a cookie, and I'm like NO! Then they ask for the 25th time and I'm like, well if you get me one....

We will run out of cookies at some point. I may lose weight at that point. Until then though....

Bubba

Cyburbian
Georgia does not have a full shelter-in-place order yet, so my sister is still going into her office every day. Her firm owns a ca. 1910 bank building in my hometown's CBD, and she and her partners are not seeing clients, keeping the entrance locked, and isolating in their respective offices. Part of her drive in to downtown takes her across an intersection where two street grids meet at a slight skew....and, apparently this happened today during her commute:

So I’m driving to work this morning, headed south on P________. Coming up to the intersection at P___ Avenue that has the funky curve that always sets off my lane assistance beeper. Older SUV in front of me. Don’t know if she didn’t curve, curved too much, fell asleep, or what. Drifts off the road, jumps the curb, takes out the fire hydrant, goes airborne, flips/spins in the air, end up propped up against the building that’s just before W_____ Eye Center. Right.in.front.of.me. I pulled into W_____ Eye Center and called 911 while some other onlookers ran to the vehicle. The first responders got the lady out and she was walking but hysterical. I had to give my eyewitness account to the police. Before breakfast. Feel better now that I’ve had food and caffeine. Apparently big section of P________ is still flooded and closed off from the smushed hydrant.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Georgia does not have a full shelter-in-place order yet, so my sister is still going into her office every day. Her firm owns a ca. 1910 bank building in my hometown's CBD, and she and her partners are not seeing clients, keeping the entrance locked, and isolating in their respective offices. Part of her drive in to downtown takes her across an intersection where two street grids meet at a slight skew....and, apparently this happened today during her commute:
People are not thinking right. I am extra careful driving looking for people blowing traffic signals, for one thing.

Planit

Cyburbian
So this came from an British sports writer:

I write with fingers filled with love for all our readers in the United Kingdom as the weeks of flip-flopping-official decision making have led to the inevitable lockdown. May you summon the collective spirit to drive through the challenges ahead in the coming weeks, so we can all start shouting at each other again with seething disrespect when the football comes back on.

DVD

Cyburbian
I will put out the one good thing of this whole epidemic. I'm starting to get ahead on my work. All work is done up to Monday.

Reactions: kms

Planit

Cyburbian
I looked up the prices for airplane tickets for 2 trips - 1 in June & 1 in August.

No cheap flights, still the same pricing as before this pandemic thing.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I looked up the prices for airplane tickets for 2 trips - 1 in June & 1 in August.

I can bug my son out of San Jose to Moline for 200. That is cheap. He's not ready to go yet.

Bubba

Cyburbian

I looked at flights in late April and early May (so, still in the window of uncertainty) - Delta had round trip ATL - LAX flights for less than $150.

AG74683

Cyburbian

My tickets to Denver were dirt cheap. Around 115. That's for end of August.

I was looking at street views of all the FDNY departments earlier today just to see how they all look. I got bored so I looked up the budget numbers for the FDNY because I assumed they had to be astronomical. The entire FY19-20 budget for the FDNY was.....2.1 billion dollars. That is insane. After 5 years, a standard firefighter with FDNY makes over 110k a year. Could be tough to live on that in NYC, but if you're doing what you love to do, 110k is incredible.