• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

terraplnr

Cyburbian
When I went to the store last week with a meal-planned list, half of the meals I planned had to be scrapped because of the bare shelves. I saw that cornbread stuffing was on sale and so I checked to see if there were any frozen turkeys still around. . . there were! So tonight we are having a Thanksgiving dinner. :love: I couldn't find regular potatoes so we are having instant potatoes though. And maybe a cake but I haven't been able to find buttermilk so am still debating on doing a buttermilk "substitute" with white vinegar. Sounds a little gross but I don't want to go back to the store and be disappointed that they still don't have buttermilk.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Since Hubby and I are both working from home, with limited options for entertainment, he hooked up the PlayStation in the bedroom. So last night we tried frisbee golf, for the first time in YEARS.

I still suck, and now my shoulder hurts. But it makes him happy, so I'll do it again tonight.

The things we do for sanity.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I have ducks visit every spring when I take the pool cover off. I hope there is a pool season this year.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was looking at street views of all the FDNY departments earlier today just to see how they all look. I got bored so I looked up the budget numbers for the FDNY because I assumed they had to be astronomical. The entire FY19-20 budget for the FDNY was.....2.1 billion dollars. That is insane. After 5 years, a standard firefighter with FDNY makes over 110k a year. Could be tough to live on that in NYC, but if you're doing what you love to do, 110k is incredible.
I bet they can get to another $20k+ in overtime too.

When I went to the store last week with a meal-planned list, half of the meals I planned had to be scrapped because of the bare shelves. I saw that cornbread stuffing was on sale and so I checked to see if there were any frozen turkeys still around. . . there were! So tonight we are having a Thanksgiving dinner. :love: I couldn't find regular potatoes so we are having instant potatoes though. And maybe a cake but I haven't been able to find buttermilk so am still debating on doing a buttermilk "substitute" with white vinegar. Sounds a little gross but I don't want to go back to the store and be disappointed that they still don't have buttermilk.
I made a run to the store yesterday morning (our first in a while) everything was pretty well stocked except for beef and poultry. The ladies at the deli counter were basically begging customers to come to the counter for fresh deli items instead of getting the pre-packaged stuff. They did have frozen turkeys and I thought about getting one but they didn't have any of the smaller ones available and we'd have way too much waste to justify the bigger ones, even with turkey-based leftovers for a few days. For buttermilk substitute, a tablespoon of lemon juice per cup of milk works pretty well too.

Reactions: kms

AG74683

Cyburbian
I guess since there's not much to do at work, I'll do paperwork for the fire department instead.

I have become the documents guy at the fire department now. They need a new form? I make it. I actually really like doing that and it makes me more useful so that's good.

I bet they can get to another $20k+ in overtime too.
That's actually factored in to the 100k estimate. Base pay is 80, and then they estimate another 25 is OT and holiday pay.

DVD

Cyburbian
I've decided that since my office can't work at home I'm going to give everyone the work at home experience. I'm going to wait until someone is on the phone and then run around screaming like a child and add comments like I'm Hungry! I'm Bored!, etc.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I have ducks visit every spring when I take the pool cover off. I hope there is a pool season this year.
My cousin lives on a 20 acre property (mostly wooded) in the adjacent unincorporated township and they hobby raise chickens, ducks, turkeys and even have a couple goats.

Well, two days ago a hawk snatched one of their ducks in view of several of them (they're a family of 10).

She posted on facebook and one of the comments was simply 'The circle of life.'

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Two or three times a week my run is a 10k loop that takes me from my house, down a collector street all the way to the other side of our downtown, back around through the downtown, and then back home along the main arterial road. Over the course of 11 years in this house, I've stepped out the front door and turned left to run that loop probably 95% of the time. Tomorrow I've decided that I'm going to turn right and do that every other time I run it.

Drastic times call for drastic measures.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
All the restrictions have screwed up my work outs. Plus it's getting into the mid 80's and humid. That's dampening going walking. I know, first world problems and it sounds petty.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
My cousin lives on a 20 acre property (mostly wooded) in the adjacent unincorporated township and they hobby raise chickens, ducks, turkeys and even have a couple goats.

Well, two days ago a hawk snatched one of their ducks in view of several of them (they're a family of 10).

She posted on facebook and one of the comments was simply 'The circle of life.'
My parents had something kill 7 of their 8 chickens. We named the soul survivor "Cluck Norris".

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Fill out the NFIRS ?
I think we have a very convoluted system of reporting that. We fill out a call log (which I created), which then gets forwarded to the town, who then submits it to NFIRS. At least I think that's how it works.

I was actually working on setting up spreadsheets for the pump test coming up in May. Some of the departments pay people for that now, but about half still test their own pumps every year. The spreadsheets are kind of a mess, and the guy last year really messed it up, so I'm in charge of that now. I still don't know why we need to enter the test information while we are actually on site, but that's what they want.

DVD

Cyburbian
Police chief rolled up to City Hall in style. She's got a custom suburban, unmarked, with her own driver. No worries on parking, driving, or anything. Just roll up and go to the meeting.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I am eating one donut a morning. That is exactly one more donut than I would eat normally each morning. I don't foresee this working from home being good for my diet...
On the other hand, I'm not eating out at all. I'm eating more sensibly sized portions. I haven't weighed myself but I think I might be losing a bit if weight.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I've found I'm eating a lot better now that I am working from home. When I am out of the house, I don't have my wife seeing what I eat nor do I feel the need to set a good example for my kids. When I am at home during the day I eat a lot more fruit and fresh veggies as snacks and not Trader Joe's Chocolate Truffles or massive bags of Sour Patch Kids.
You had me up to fruits and veggies. We haven't shopped in almost two weeks and fresh stuff is nearly gone and/or past its prime.

DVD

Cyburbian
My dogs are envious.

That's from when they spotted a squirrel.
So my old neighbor had a wiener dog. Our yard not having dogs had lots of squirrels. Every now and then a squirrel would tease the neighboring dogs by running on the fence or somewhere the dogs couldn't get them. I often watched my neighbors dog turn into a rocket dog. That little thing flew off the 2nd story porch like a rocket thinking he might get some of that squirrel. He never did.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I am eating out more (well, more takeout) and rationalizing it by wanting to support local business.
Had breakfast for the last two days from the little coffee shop down the street. I never eat breakfast, but I have the same rationale! I did buy lunch meat and such to make sandwiches at home but I'm attempting to ration that.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
You had me up to fruits and veggies. We haven't shopped in almost two weeks and fresh stuff is nearly gone and/or past its prime.
We get a weekly shipment of fruits and veggies from a program called Hungry Harvest. They package up and sell oddly shaped items or weird looking produce (i.e. not perfectly round tomatoes, or crooked carrots) that grocery stores don't want (plus a lot of root vegetables that have a long shelf life) and thankfully they're still delivering during this time. We were actually able to add some things like eggs and cheese to our delivery this past week and if you like kombucha, they have a lot of those you can choose from. They also have a lot of leafy greens to choose from since those go bad relatively quickly and the warehouses and distributors often have a lot more left over than what stores will expect. I have a feeling that with restaurants closing down, Hungry Harvest may end up with even more in their inventories since restaurants would probably normally buy a lot of all these items since diners wouldn't normally see them until they've been all chopped up and cooked anyway.

My wife signed us up for this a while back and while I don't think it saves us any money over going to the grocery store, my kids always seem more willing to eat some tomatoes or peppers that get delivered to the house in a box than if I were to go out shopping for them. Plus, with Hungry Harvest, we get a lot more variety than what we would normally get at the store since I always just buy the same things over and over.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I am eating out more (well, more takeout) and rationalizing it by wanting to support local business.
Yeah, we ordered delivery from a local place we patronize at least once every three weeks or so - got enough food for each of us to get three dinners and probably a couple of lunches out of it.

Last edited:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
We had Chinese for lunch yesterday. I usually don't have leftovers, but I did this time, so I'll have Chinese for lunch again today.

Maybe they were using up perishables because the amount of carrots, peppers, and meat in my meal was higher than usual.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Traffic coming to work was lighter than usual. Office traffic, too. On my floor where there is normally 22 people, not counting inspectors since they are out all day, we are down to 5.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Traffic coming to work was lighter than usual. Office traffic, too. On my floor where there is normally 22 people, not counting inspectors since they are out all day, we are down to 5.
I am currently 3 feet from my bed. The 'office' traffic is almost zero right now unless someone wants to use the 'private' restroom in here.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am going to pick up some 2x4s and black paint. I need to assemble some cubical walls that were in storage... unfortunately, the connecting hardware was tossed out at some point.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Our den would normally be my workspace but my daughter is using it for her school work and I think a LEGO tornado has also come through there. I do kick the kids out when I need a to make a conference call but I prefer working at the kitchen counter anyway since it has a much better view of the front and I can see people pass by. I'm already starting to consider changes that I'd like to make in the den if my employer allows us to start working from home a few days a week after all of this. The first change will be getting rid of the tiny windows and putting in a big pig picture window.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I am going to pick up some 2x4s and black paint. I need to assemble some cubical walls that were in storage... unfortunately, the connecting hardware was tossed out at some point.
I've been thinking of using this "stay at home time" to repaint our second-hand dining room table and chairs. I intended to do it last summer but didn't get around to it.

The potential obstacles are (a) I'd need to paint the table inside the dining room, it's too much of a pain to move it out (and I'm not sure where I'd move it to anyway) and (b) since the children are at home the'll want to help and (c) the dining room table is currently my work desk. I think if I do it on a Friday afternoon/evening when only two of the four kids are here, and we all eat on our patio for a day or two, it'll be fine. I like to let the kids help me with things, but I don't have the patience right now to manage 3-4 kids with paintbrushes inside our house!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I hate when I get a funny meme but won't send it on because I'm too snooty to forward something if it has glaring typos/grammatical errors in it. :mad:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Are you home because

considered non essential ?
or
to reduce the number of people in the office to less than 10 ?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Two or three times a week my run is a 10k loop that takes me from my house, down a collector street all the way to the other side of our downtown, back around through the downtown, and then back home along the main arterial road. Over the course of 11 years in this house, I've stepped out the front door and turned left to run that loop probably 95% of the time. Tomorrow I've decided that I'm going to turn right and do that every other time I run it.

Drastic times call for drastic measures.

I did it.

It was weird.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Are you home because

considered non essential ?
or
to reduce the number of people in the office to less than 10 ?
I'm WFH for two reasons: the office is closed, and I'm on the opposite coast from it.

kms

Cyburbian
I hate when I get a funny meme but won't send it on because I'm too snooty to forward something if it has glaring typos/grammatical errors in it. :mad:
I’m the same way.

Nor will I use a business whose name has deliberately misspelled words or misused apostrophes.

Like this:

Kate’s Kute Kut’s instead of Kate’s Styling Center.

Planit

Cyburbian
When I come home in the evening, The Girl is on the deck (in nice weather), doing her homework. So the deck is taken & since she's doing homework I'm not going to disturb her.

After I walk the dog, I grab a beer and sit on the front porch and watch all the walkers go by...& there are a lot.

Planit

Cyburbian
Inquiring minds have to know, is there really a Kate's Kute Kut's? I think I would avoid anything that could be abbreviated with three K's.
I guess that's why Krispy Kreme Kafe didn't make it ckut when they were looking to expand the brand.

DVD

Cyburbian
Inquiring minds have to know, is there really a Kate's Kute Kut's? I think I would avoid anything that could be abbreviated with three K's.
You know that's where Karen gets her hair done.

Lord grant me the serenity to accept the plans I cannot change, the courage to redline the politically charged ones, and the wisdom to know nothing I do matters in the end.