• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
At the old Woodbridge Mall, there was a floral shop that had a sand which board outside their entrance, with come-one to buy a “bokay“ of flowers. My sister, who would go on to teach for more than 40 years, would bring her own chalk, erase the offensive word, and replace it with bouquet,:p

AG74683

Cyburbian
Where did everybody go?
Sitting here contemplating how people can be concerned about non-conforming uses and how much damage can be done to one before it needs to be replace (IE, he's bitching about his neighbor repairing a non-conforming single wide) in a time like this. I'm shocked with how absolutely selfish some people can be.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Sitting here contemplating how people can be concerned about non-conforming uses and how much damage can be done to one before it needs to be replace (IE, he's bitching about his neighbor repairing a non-conforming single wide) in a time like this. I'm shocked with how absolutely selfish some people can be.
While this particular example might be a pain, what do you want people to be doing in general? I mean life has to to go on. Albeit with some exceptions right now. I'm accomplishing a lot at work myself. Sitting around wringing our hands isn't going to make anything better. Take appropriate precautions and get on with life the best you can.

Reactions: kms

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
About two years ago, Benderson Development added 15,000'2 GLA endcap to a small power center in town. I then told my wife "Fifteen thousand square feet. I bet that's gonna' be a Trader Joe's. That screams Trader Joe's." The power center has a lot of parking, something that's not typical of the Trader Joe's stores I've been to. Still, the square footage, the architecture, and the location all pointed that way.

About 30 minutes ago, my wife stops into my home office and shouts "You're brilliant. You called it." I asked "Why? What?" She said "Trader Joe's is going in where you predicted. It's on the Ithaca Voice." Checked it out, and ... yup.

WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!

Exactly where I knew they would go, too. Planner power. Booya.

success_kid.jpg

AG74683

Cyburbian
While this particular example might be a pain, what do you want people to be doing in general? I mean life has to to go on. Albeit with some exceptions right now. I'm accomplishing a lot at work myself. Sitting around wringing our hands isn't going to make anything better. Take appropriate precautions and get on with life the best you can.
I think it's just frustrating that he's choosing to complain about some minor ass thing when there are much bigger issues going on. Like really, that's what is at the top of your list of things to do right now guy? Maybe be a good neighbor and mind your business. The singlewide was there well before you were, you chose to move next to it.

kms

Cyburbian
People like this are job security for you in good times and bad.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Where did everybody go?
The bulk of tradespeople and construction workers around here commute from out of town. They're still considered essential workers. There's a major state route in town that leads to the Town Next Door 40 minutes away in one direction, and the Somewhat Depressed Small Industrial City 40 minutes away in the other direction. That road is still fairly busy. With lots and lots of pickup trucks.

Downtown is normally quite busy in early spring. I drove through a couple of days ago, and it was nearly empty, except for a few people walking their dogs.

Traffic on Cyburbia is a little bit busier during weekday. posting activity is about the same, there's more activity on weekends, and new registration seems to be up a little bit.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Given the lack of lane marking, I'd bet good money that's either in Africa (not South Africa, Namibia, or Botswana, but someplace north of that), or a former Soviet republic.

Maybe that road was going to be abandoned, a new parallel road was going to be built alongside the old road, and the light poles came first. Nah.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I just watch a video of a very talented young man play one of those public pianos. I am always amazed every time I hear someone play with passion and drive. It is something that I wish I new how to do.

kms

Cyburbian
I just watch a video of a very talented young man play one of those public pianos. I am always amazed every time I hear someone play with passion and drive. It is something that I wish I new how to do.
I took piano lessons when my kids did, but I just didn’t get it. I’m learning harmonica now.i can take it with me.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
As far as home office goes, I'm pretty well set up in the family room/man cave. I have an old kitchen table with my computer (an all-in-one) on it, and when I want to work I can use that as a monitor for my work laptop, giving me two screens. I use company VPN over home wifi, seems to work fine.

I have an old surround sound stereo in the room but after rigging it up quickly when I first moved in I let it be for two years. Tonight I finally got the subwoofer and the speakers hooked up right.

The room itself is the one room in the house that we haven't gotten on top of since we moved in. There's a lot of crap in here, the kind of stuff you'd expect to find in a basement- tools, stored stuff, junk strewn about, and bicycles hanging from the wall for storage. But my work area is adequate.

I have a nice view of my backyard through the sliding glass door, and there are windows set high on the wall that faces out toward the driveway. I can see the sky, the top of my garage and some trees but nothing to draw me into staring out at random people outside.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Microsoft teams is a game saver for me. Our organization is using it and my kids are using it. I think it is really funny that both my kids and I can be doing team meetings next to each other at my kitchen table.

I do like that we can all be together so much.... although I wish on Friday's I could go out for dinner. I really do miss that....

Veloise

Cyburbian
Microsoft teams is a game saver for me. Our organization is using it and my kids are using it. I think it is really funny that both my kids and I can be doing team meetings next to each other at my kitchen table.

I do like that we can all be together so much.... although I wish on Friday's I could go out for dinner. I really do miss that....
Pee-wee Herman posted that Zoom users can use any photo as a workspace backdrop. Shared a pic of the Playhouse.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I had somebody this week who wanted me to pursue a zoning violation against the neighboring golf course for balls landing in their driveway.....

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
About two years ago, Benderson Development added 15,000'2 GLA endcap to a small power center in town. I then told my wife "Fifteen thousand square feet. I bet that's gonna' be a Trader Joe's. That screams Trader Joe's." The power center has a lot of parking, something that's not typical of the Trader Joe's stores I've been to. Still, the square footage, the architecture, and the location all pointed that way.

About 30 minutes ago, my wife stops into my home office and shouts "You're brilliant. You called it." I asked "Why? What?" She said "Trader Joe's is going in where you predicted. It's on the Ithaca Voice." Checked it out, and ... yup.

WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S WE'RE GETTING A TRADER JOE'S IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!

View attachment 48113

View attachment 48113
If course this will trigger a super-woke freakout over the impact to more local businesses and co-ops, right?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Pee-wee Herman posted that Zoom users can use any photo as a workspace backdrop. Shared a pic of the Playhouse.
I saw one where a guy figured out if he hung up a green sheet and wore a green shirt he could change the backgrounds to whatever he wanted and remove his body entirely. He had his head on a plate for one meeting I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: kms

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
About two years ago, Benderson Development added 15,000'2 GLA endcap to a small power center in town. I then told my wife "Fifteen thousand square feet. I bet that's gonna' be a Trader Joe's. That screams Trader Joe's." The power center has a lot of parking, something that's not typical of the Trader Joe's stores I've been to. Still, the square footage, the architecture, and the location all pointed that way...
What is up with Trader Joe's and parking? Every single one I've ever been to has an absolutely horrible parking situation. A few years ago we had one move from a crappy location to a much better spot (more visibility, easier access, more complimentary businesses nearby, etc.). The new location even has tons of parking and even though the particular shopping center is always pretty busy, everything always flowed nicely... until TJs moved in. Now it's somehow a complete mess on that side of the shopping center, even though they made no structural changes to the lot and TJs never seems super slammed busy. I've come to the realization that it's probably not the parking lots that are causing the problems, it's Trader Joe's shoppers.

Has anybody tried this flavor

Stroh's is a local ice cream company that has a seasonal flavor called Michigan Pothole that's really good. I think they first introduced it here in 2018 or 2019.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Congrats on your well developed professional superpower. Another example of why seasoned planners can be seemingly effortless practitioners of Seldon's psychohistory.

FWIW - Benderson owns our 11+ acre, empty former SuperKmart and has been less than enthusiastic about getting it reoccupied. That's OK. We're on them like white on rice with property maintenance enforcement.

I see that they've also done a bunch of the new redevelopments in downtown Ithaca too.

hmmm...my situation...operating loss tax shelter, perhaps? ;)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I had somebody this week who wanted me to pursue a zoning violation against the neighboring golf course for balls landing in their driveway.....
Well yeah. THAT'S LITTERING!

Our local newspaper used to distribute a free edition once a week whether you wanted it or not. Every house that didn't get a paid edition got the free one. They would just throw it in everyone's yard. I always wanted to get them fined for littering.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
As far as home office goes, I'm pretty well set up in the family room/man cave. I have an old kitchen table with my computer (an all-in-one) on it, and when I want to work I can use that as a monitor for my work laptop, giving me two screens. I use company VPN over home wifi, seems to work fine.

I have an old surround sound stereo in the room but after rigging it up quickly when I first moved in I let it be for two years. Tonight I finally got the subwoofer and the speakers hooked up right.

The room itself is the one room in the house that we haven't gotten on top of since we moved in. There's a lot of crap in here, the kind of stuff you'd expect to find in a basement- tools, stored stuff, junk strewn about, and bicycles hanging from the wall for storage. But my work area is adequate.

I have a nice view of my backyard through the sliding glass door, and there are windows set high on the wall that faces out toward the driveway. I can see the sky, the top of my garage and some trees but nothing to draw me into staring out at random people outside.

The views out the windows. The view toward the driveway:

And the backyard:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
As long as we’re doing home office pics, here’s mine. I brought the desktop home from the office, because I can’t connect to the file server at work with a personal laptop.

B3DE54DE-F9F8-4959-8BE6-A467D7B5A87D.jpeg

I finally get to use my CODE keyboard with Cherry blues for work. CLICK CLICK CLICK can’t stop me CLICK CLICK CLICK

BEB8B902-1618-4E09-B2FA-F6DEDFFE852D.jpeg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
At the allergist, where they play the local “play it at work” pop station.

I always hear at least two “empowering” songs during 30 minutes I’m here. Case in point - “This Girl is on Fire” is playing now, with a minute of nothing but Millennial whoops, a couple of songs after “I’ve got the eye of the tiger baby and you’re going to hear me rooooooar oh oh oh oh ah oh”

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1st week in the office - no public allowed into Civic Center
2nd week to further decrease # of people in the office half the office sent home.

Working from home I am logged in through VPN.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
You know that they came from Stroh's Brewing during Prohibition, right?
Of course, although the brewery has been bought up and sold off so many times that I don't think there has been any connection between the two for decades, other than their logos still being similar.

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago about how quite a few breweries switched over to making ice cream during prohibition because the processes used some of the same ingredients and a lot of the same machinery. I wonder how many of those ice cream manufacturers still exist?

Somewhat related - here's some good reading on the Stroh Family: "How to Blow $9 Billion: The Fallen Stroh Family" Apparently the family members in the '80s managed to squander one of the biggest family fortunes in the country. I do still see the name pop up from time to time in the area but I bet it's more prevalent with the social register set over in the Pointes on the other side of town.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I was in the office for all of 2 hours today. Did the limited work I had, and went to the fire department to prep these checklists for our big ISO inspection.

These things are a MESS. The sheets don't match the trucks at all. We took every cabinet apart on our front truck and had to clean it all up. It'll be good now. Coming from my actual work world, I know these inspectors will give you a lot of credit if your I's are dotted and T's are crossed.