• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I am at home by myself for the first time in over three weeks. I never noticed that the refrigerator makes a farting sound before until this afternoon. It's too quiet around here. . . :wow: :ha:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Have you looked at the Census Self Response Rate Mapping at

It is scaleable to tract level

AG74683

Cyburbian
How difficult is it to understand that the site plan and building plans must match? I am going to start charging an additional review fee for every time plans don't match.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I am at home by myself for the first time in over three weeks. I never noticed that the refrigerator makes a farting sound before until this afternoon. It's too quiet around here. . . :wow: :ha:
I am currently working from my dining room table, just a few feet from my fridge. The icemaker makes some strange noises indeed, almost like an old dial-up internet connection sound. Also, the little arm that is supposed to switch off the icemaker once it is full doesn't work and it keeps on making more and more and more and more and more ice. I adjust it manually since we don't go through tons of ice here, and frankly I don't want to pay for a service call.:toolbox:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well the first truck checklist is mostly done. It took far longer than I would have guessed. I did learn a lot about Word tables. They're a lot more useful than I initially thought.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
That was great.

Chicago is one of the bands from that era that I always think gets overlooked or looked down upon. They did eventually put out a lot of soft rock crap, but they could definitely jam out and were pretty innovative as well.
Agreed.

Apparently, contemporaneously, Jimi Hendrix considered their lead guitarist, Terry Kath, a better guitarist than himself. That's not nothing.

Kath's guitar solo in this video is mind blowing.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I completely agree about Chicago. But I'm still surprised from the reaction of many on this board in a thread several years ago about the Eagles. So many said they were overrated which was mind-boggling to me.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I completely agree about Chicago. But I'm still surprised from the reaction of many on this board in a thread several years ago about the Eagles. So many said they were overrated which was mind-boggling to me.
Probably because I've been 'takin' to the limit' about 100 times too many.

;)

Last edited:

TOFB

Cyburbian
We have been known to dabble in some Chicago. This is about 10 years ago; man, I wasn't missing many meals then. Yikes!

Reactions: JNA

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
My Avatar is in honor of my late Father who served in the US Maritime Service, achieving the rank of Lt. Commander (E) / Chief Engineer.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The Executive Officer of USNS Mercy (Hospital ship docked in LA) according to his bio is from Westfield NJ - my hometown.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

That is awesome! FWIW, darker colors represent areas with lower response rates. The town where I live is at 39.5% now.

I wish there was an option for us demographic geeks to choose the long form online. Are people even getting the virtual long form?

I was going to sign up for part-time Census work, but with COVID-19, I really don't want to go door-to-door. I'll leave it as an option if I get furloughed.

Planit

Cyburbian
I was wondering what kind of merriment would take place today when I opened up my browser. My question has been answered. :p

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I used to have Homer as the Beer Baron as my avatar but I was too lazy to change back to it after Cyburbia moved over to the new format last year (or was that 2018?).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Okay, Dan, I get the April Fools joke, but this is making my eyeballs bleed. I'll be back whenever you revert to the normal scheme.
Pro tip: you can select "Cyburbia New Blue" from the menu on the bottom left of the page to restore the default color scheme. (Except for the FAC, for now.)

As a hockey fan... I must say that these colors suck.
Hockey? What's that? I heard stories about a sport with a name like that, that people in frigid climes played before the Great Plague of 2020.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Pro tip: you can select "Cyburbia New Blue" from the menu on the bottom left of the page to restore the default color scheme. (Except for the FAC, for now.)
Great tip. Please make it apply to the FAC also please. This is awful.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I put mine back to the April Fools colors. I love them!

I keep hoping my wife will walk past, glance at my computer, and make a comment about the color scheme and see if it clicks with her about where the colors came from.

DVD

Cyburbian
Working at home today. The kids seem to bug me more the wife seems to need things constantly the phone keeps ringing. None of these thing happen on the weekends.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Hockey? What's that? I heard stories about a sport with a name like that, that people in frigid climes played before the Great Plague of 2020.
Let's just say that I miss hockey so much, the Pens and the Caps got into it on my desk, and now I realize that I can't write with caps. I tossed candy Canes into the water at the beach to see them get eaten by the Sharks. I stood outside B-Dubs to cheer on one team and yell boo at the other two. I yelled YOU SUCK at the Ducks in the pond near City Hall, gave a Jet the bird as it flew overhead and cursed the Lightning during the storm the other night for shutting out the Stars. Finally, I set fire to a tree just to watch the Leafs get destroyed by the Flames.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Working at home today. The kids seem to bug me more the wife seems to need things constantly the phone keeps ringing. None of these thing happen on the weekends.
Yesterday, the cats were going nuts. Contrary to the "damnit, the humans are here all the time now" mes, Zoe and Bearcat now want attention All. The. Time. Zoe especially wants to be in whatever room has a closed door. If my wife is in her office, on the phone with the door closed, Zoe will sit in front of it and cry. After about 15 or 20 minutes, she'll come to my office, do the dance-and-rub around my legs, and try to lead me out to open the door. Sometimes, she'll just come in and cry. Bearcat is a talker, and he'll visit just to sing me the song of his people.

DVD

Cyburbian
Latest distraction, other than this place, we're going to order out food to support local businesses. So now everyone needs to use the 1 household computer to look up food options. It's not like I was trying to read my code for a project because my stupid ipad decides today the screen should go wonky.

For those bored at home with kids look up Wonky Donkey.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yesterday I dumped out one of my big childhood crates of LEGO and I'm pulling up instruction sheets online. The first one I'm trying to build is the King's Castle from 1984.

Once I finish that up, I'm going to try to build one of the big pirate ships I had.

For those bored at home with kids look up Wonky Donkey.

Wonky Donkey has been a favorite in our household since my sister gave it to our youngest about a year ago. She cannot read but she can still remember most of the words and sometimes she recites it but gets so excited and puts too much energy in it and starts getting it all mixed up.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Is this an opportunity? A friend from college who is a trainer/nutritionist posted on his facebook site that like the "Freshman 15" our new lifestyles are leading to the "COVID 19" and it got me thinking. So as I finished the last beer that was in the fridge, I decided that I am going to use this period of time for my benefit, especially given that Easter is in 10 days. So over the next several weeks, I am going to make my health (Physical, Mental, and Spiritual) a significant priority. I figure with everything going on, this will help reduce my stress, and maybe even reduce my chances of getting sick.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
from my IT Dept

Please be aware that researchers have identified multiple security and privacy issues within the Zoom application.
These vulnerabilities are several including the potential for hackers to install malware and steal Windows credentials.
At this time I would request that Zoom not be used on City/County devices.

Here is a link to one of the articles regarding these issues:
https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/01/zoom-doom/
I had posted earlier the word - zoombombing.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Is this an opportunity? A friend from college who is a trainer/nutritionist posted on his facebook site that like the "Freshman 15" our new lifestyles are leading to the "COVID 19" and it got me thinking. So as I finished the last beer that was in the fridge, I decided that I am going to use this period of time for my benefit, especially given that Easter is in 10 days. So over the next several weeks, I am going to make my health (Physical, Mental, and Spiritual) a significant priority. I figure with everything going on, this will help reduce my stress, and maybe even reduce my chances of getting sick.
For me it's been the opposite. I would estimate that I'm down between 5 and 10 pounds since I started working from home, thanks entirely to not going out to lunch ever, no more beer at lunch (though I may still have one in the evening a couple times a week), no more frappuccinos, etc. I also want to make sure I'm setting a good example for my kids while I'm at home so that means I've cut waaaaaayyyy back on snacking during the day and when I do have a snack, it's much more likely to be something healthy than it would have been if I were hidden away at my office.

Add to that the extra walking I've been doing and it's spring so I've been ramping up my running again and I've noticed a big difference in how my clothes fit over the past few weeks.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
It's not a problem for me so far. I've started running/fast walking on my treadmill at least once or twice a day for 30-45 mins each session.

I then drink water most of the day.

Though, the smallish bowl of sugar cereal at night (usually around 9:30p) should be taken out of rotation. ;)

TOFB

Cyburbian

It is scaleable to tract level
I shared this with a few people, including the Chair of our Complete Count Committee (an Alderwoman), and proceeded to get scolded because I was not doing more to ensure a Complete Count.

I am not on the Complete Count Committee.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I shared this with a few people, including the Chair of our Complete Count Committee (an Alderwoman), and proceeded to get scolded because I was not doing more to ensure a Complete Count.

I am not on the Complete Count Committee.
No good deed goes unpunished, my man. None.