• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am back in my office. Can't complain, but I will say that my home office works just as well.

Planit

Cyburbian
I hope the crappy part of the weekend doesn't continue through the week, but early signs are not promising.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
GF and I pulled the trigger and bought a Honda Odyssey this weekend... after trying to deal with our local Honda dealer, went to the next closest. This is my 3rd vehicle purchase and this was by far, the easiest car buying experience. Did it through email / text. All we did was sign papers, and walked away (after cutting a check for the down). Surprisingly, a used 2019 odyssey EX-L / Touring was more expensive on carmax then the brand new, EX-L we bought. Granted it had the dvd / navi and the sensor liftgate, but meh, who cares. Also got a $500 costco cash card, 0.9 APR financing, and no payments for 90 days. woot woot:usa:

arcplans

I'm not sure "and bought a family minivan" was what I was expecting to see after "GF and I pulled the trigger"...
So TBH with everyone I have an engagement ring. I was suppose to propose at her 40th birthday surprise party, but the 'rona cancelled that. Sooo yea. At this point between, a house, a car, and a dog we basically are married.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So TBH with everyone I have an engagement ring. I was suppose to propose at her 40th birthday surprise party, but the 'rona cancelled that. Sooo yea. At this point between, a house, a car, and a dog we basically are married.
There is no time better than the present.... photo or it didn't happen!

DVD

Cyburbian
Granted it had the dvd / navi
That's me sitting in the back seat yelling, "You were supposed to turn right you dumbass!" and "Costco is right over there!" even when it's obvious. Don't forget the occasional "Ow man, people are going to see you in this mini van, you should have just bought a truck or something cool."

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
When it rains like it has for the last two days, I can't help but think it is mother nature trying to wash herself of this place we have selfishly dirtied....

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Have to take the dog to the vet today. She has spring allergies, so every spring we deal with excessive scratching and licking. Well, this year she's moved up to chewing. And she chewed her own skin enough to bleed. Not pretty, and worrisome given the possibility of infection, so to the vet she goes.

Not fun.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have to take the dog to the vet today. She has spring allergies, so every spring we deal with excessive scratching and licking. Well, this year she's moved up to chewing. And she chewed her own skin enough to bleed. Not pretty, and worrisome given the possibility of infection, so to the vet she goes.

Not fun.
huh, our toy aussie is gnawing at her foot and it doesn't look hurt or anything so I wonder if that's the same thing?

happy tuesday

Salmissra

Cyburbian
And just now I thought the hall fire/smoke alarm was beeping. So I pulled out the ladder, a battery, and climbed up. Turns out it wasn't the fire alarm, but the alarm panel for the security system. The same wall, just lower down.

So I had to dig up the manual and "fix" the panel. In the meantime, the fire alarm is now chirping - not beeping! - and I'm just not caring.

I hate ladders. Really hate being more than 2 steps up.

AG74683

Cyburbian
huh, our toy aussie is gnawing at her foot and it doesn't look hurt or anything so I wonder if that's the same thing?

happy tuesday
Mine is doing the same, mostly licking around her stomach area. She has pretty scabby skin this year too, which is somewhat new. I attribute that to the fact that I haven't been able to get her groomed in a bit though. I really need her toenails trimmed and to get her checked out the vet. I'll schedule that appointment today. I was hoping to wait as long as possible with the whole COVID thing.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
GF and I pulled the trigger and bought a Honda Odyssey this weekend
I vaguely looked online last night because I was bored. I currently have a Fiat 500 fully paid off and it runs fine so there is reason for me to get a new car. But I looked online at a Hyundai Elantra Sport (the hatch/wagon version) and it reminded me so much of my old 2005 Elantra hatch (which my son is still driving) that I wanted to go get one. I don't think I can justify it right now.

Old Planner

Mine is doing the same, mostly licking around her stomach area. She has pretty scabby skin this year too, which is somewhat new. I attribute that to the fact that I haven't been able to get her groomed in a bit though. I really need her toenails trimmed and to get her checked out the vet. I'll schedule that appointment today. I was hoping to wait as long as possible with the whole COVID thing.
My sister's dog has the same problems, feet and belly, due to grass/plant allergies. She has to wear Velcro booties outside to prevent her chewing her feet raw.

Planit

Cyburbian
Dog allergies - our dog too. My vet said to get a standard over the counter allergy med & when we see him starting to chew or lick his paws, give him 1 in a treat OR just give him 1 in a treat everyday. We opted to give him 1 when we see him doing it. Seems to work well because he usually stops in a few minutes. Check with your vet though - opinions vary.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I vaguely looked online last night because I was bored. I currently have a Fiat 500 fully paid off and it runs fine so there is reason for me to get a new car. But I looked online at a Hyundai Elantra Sport (the hatch/wagon version) and it reminded me so much of my old 2005 Elantra hatch (which my son is still driving) that I wanted to go get one. I don't think I can justify it right now.
Have you seen the 2021 Elantra? Yowza

DVD

Cyburbian
My next home if it wasn't in Pittsburg.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
When it rains like it has for the last two days, I can't help but think it is mother nature trying to wash herself of this place we have selfishly dirtied....
Carbon Emissions globally are down 17%.... it kinda worked.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

I have to imagine that a lot of D&D has been played at this table:

DD.JPG

Veloise

Cyburbian

That Text Sure Is Hard To Read.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I went back to look at that house a little more. How freaking nasty could it be? There's an inch of dust on damn near everything.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

Right now there is some 32 year old single guy who lives in his mom's basement that is selling off all of his Magic the Gathering cards on e-bay in an attempt to afford a down payment on this place.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I have to imagine that a lot of D&D has been played at this table:
I thought the same thing, because it doesn't appear to be a home theater room!

I went back to look at that house a little more. How freaking nasty could it be? There's an inch of dust on damn near everything.
Yeah I thought "this place would be fun to visit 20-30 years ago when everything was newer but my dust allergies would hate it now."

AG74683

Cyburbian
Yeah I thought "this place would be fun to visit 20-30 years ago when everything was newer but my dust allergies would hate it now."
The pictures are sort of weird too. In one, the back shows about half the home covered in ivy. In the other, suddenly the entire rear has ivy on it. Honestly it has to be one of the strangest homes I've ever seen. Years ago someone posted a Zillow add for some crazy huge house in the middle of nowhere that looked like a similar odd time capsule.

arcplans

Right now there is some 32 year old single guy who lives in his mom's basement that is selling off all of his Magic the Gathering cards on e-bay in an attempt to afford a down payment on this place.
I can't help but think to myself.. how many sexual acts were committed with this thing
1589910576777.png

DVD

Cyburbian
Can't I comment on new cars? Should I just b!tch about my two deadbeats (who are both gone today, P&Z day)?
How about you just tell us when the deadbeats show up so we can be shocked or do they just disappear when there is some kind of meeting to set up for.

DVD

Cyburbian
I hate fence permits. Especially the person in the office that wants a detailed plot plan to build a fence between the house and the property line. At this point I'm kind of annoyed at the neighbor who called code enforcement because this guy built a fence that no one cares about. Except the neighbor that it doesn't affect apparently.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Uggghhh. I have an applicant who is refusing to meet a fairly simple permit requirement.

"I talked to an engineer and he said I don't have to provide you with that information."

I responded asking to speak to this engineer to clarify, and now it's crickets. The dumbest part is it's basically a plan sheet with a bunch of cut 'n paste typicals on it, like how to install silt fence or line a ditch properly. You could probably do it yourself if you googled a bit.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I simply don't understand some people. Site plan I was given shows a large front covered deck on the front of a home in the setback. Tax card and aerial pictures don't show it at all. When I pressed the owner, the response was "It was replaced by my son-in-law and me earlier this year after damage from a fallen tree. After clearing the land between the house and road, I just chose to extend the porch". Dude what? No. Fix it.

TOFB

Cyburbian
How about you just tell us when the deadbeats show up so we can be shocked or do they just disappear when there is some kind of meeting to set up for.
At least one will be gone tomorrow too. Two days off in the middle of the week? That's like an extra weekend!

I think my boss generally is pretty good but his inaction on this really gets me down.

Doohickie

Cyburbian

I didn't know you were a hippie.

Planit

Cyburbian
There's an increased need for common sense these days, rather than the forced discourse that's trending.